fabrizio_t

[OPEN BETA] [SP] bCombat infantry AI Mod

How would you rate AI firing accuracy within bCombat v0.15?  

92 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate AI firing accuracy within bCombat v0.15?

• Way too low
    • A bit low
    • Almost fine
    • A bit high
    • Way too high

Hum...what do you mean by "automedic"?

Auto heal/auto regen?

Hum...what do you mean by "automedic"?

Auto heal/auto regen?

Presumably a medic AI that will heal anyone that is hurt without being told to do it.

this doesn't work for me, I get a missing bcombat.sql file..

And yes I followed the installation instructions, and also redownloaded the mod.

and im staring right at the file in the directory!!

So you have a folder called @bCombat in your arma3 directory, and inside that folder there are 4 folder and a series of other files. Drag out the userconfig folder into the arma3 root directory (and replace any files already there). Start Arma3 and make sure you have -mod=@bCombat;@CBA_A3 in the commandline.

Presumably a medic AI that will heal anyone that is hurt without being told to do it.

Agree with that + a medic (if possible) who won't wander around for 3 hours when called.

ah got it working...

So does this break any SP missions?

cheers

Nope it should not

Just tried 0.17 DEV and it seems good. Needs more testing on my side however.

jus testing the infantry showcase and on this mod they last longer, says something about this mod. I like @)

However is it me or do the enemy take a lot to down? Its not this mod, I noticed on vanilla and thru ASR

Fab_t, I am shamefully making a request for AI to use static MG in your Mod. The Reactive squad mod has this feature. Whatever your take on that means I am sure will add great gameplay value.

You see going against the static MG sorta feels like a boss battle for those of us who mainly enjoy squad vs. squad scenarios such as provided by tpw skirmish. When you add suppression behaviors you've perfected here, awesome sound mods and visual suppression effects, etc it just enhances the experience in a dynamic way.

It goes without saying this would be an optional feature in the config.

What do you think?

Im getting an error "Cannot load danger.fsm" each time i load a mission. What might that be?

Fab_t, I am shamefully making a request for AI to use static MG in your Mod. The Reactive squad mod has this feature. Whatever your take on that means I am sure will add great gameplay value.

You see going against the static MG sorta feels like a boss battle for those of us who mainly enjoy squad vs. squad scenarios such as provided by tpw skirmish. When you add suppression behaviors you've perfected here, awesome sound mods and visual suppression effects, etc it just enhances the experience in a dynamic way.

It goes without saying this would be an optional feature in the config.

What do you think?

It is tecnically feasible, while requiring some tweaking to bDetect code.

Not promising anything, but going to look into it.

---------- Post added at 09:33 ---------- Previous post was at 09:31 ----------

Im getting an error "Cannot load danger.fsm" each time i load a mission. What might that be?

Most likely an installation problem.

Please stick to installation instructions.

maybe you did not rename bCombat folder to "@bcombat" ?

---------- Post added at 09:39 ---------- Previous post was at 09:33 ----------

NOTE:

while fiddling with bCombat code i discovered that ArmA3 engine no longer pipes danger events into danger.fsm if threat is farther than about 100 meters. It used to be way more.

It's surprising, as this ends up making AI unnecessary dumber than before.

I wonder whether that's a bug or "by design".

maybe you did not rename bCombat folder to "@bcombat" ?

True, i didnt, had it something like "@bCombat-0.16", much gratitude. Very positive first impressions.

Any reason this has never been added to PWS? I really think the config.hpp is set up a little complicated. Needs to be re worked or more stream lined. A simples list of everything toggable with true or false. Everything is just kinds scattered and hard to confing on the fly.

Any reason this has never been added to PWS? I really think the config.hpp is set up a little complicated. Needs to be re worked or more stream lined. A simples list of everything toggable with true or false. Everything is just kinds scattered and hard to confing on the fly.

Already discussed on this thread. It's still beta but more importantly you can tinker with config without having to restart arma.

Many of the scripts aren't included in the PBO that way they can be edited for beta testing purposes. Because of this, the mod calls them from a specific place, which isn't the same folder that Pw6 puts them in. You can run it with Pw6 just fine as a local mod until it hits it's final form. And you can even run it inside your mydocs/arma 3 folder, as long as you put copies of the scripts in an additional bcombat mod folder inside the root arma 3 folder.

Fab is this mod alive any more or is it still a work in progress??? ..I haven't seen anything out for 2 months now .....I checked your github and nothing everything ok Regards Bravo409

Fab is this mod alive any more or is it still a work in progress??? ..I haven't seen anything out for 2 months now .....I checked your github and nothing everything ok Regards Bravo409

Sure, everything is ok.

Updates require efforts though and i'm quite short on time.

Recently i worked on low level danger.fsm tweaks & improvements, which is a very delicate matter.

That's supposed to impact both situational awareness and performance ( to some extents ).

Obviously it requires extensive debugging and that's what i'm doing as of now.

Hi,

I've been using and trying some other AI mods but I have to say this one has been the most fun so far. I tried bCombat for the first time this week on a mission I made and played through a month ago, the new AI behaviour made the mission a lot more fun. The AI actually hugged cover and flanked me rather then running out in the open then fleeing in a straight line after several of their kind dropped. If I stayed in one place too long it always resulted in death for me or a team mate so fire fights were fire and maneuver affairs rather then camping in a good spot until the AI enemy ran out of troops from blindly attacking through the open.

The only down side was that I found it more difficult to control my AI team mates. Perhaps it was their desire, through bCombat, to always seeks the best cover themselves that would result in them going for cover rather then following orders to advance with me to an objective.

At any rate this is my new standard AI mod thank you for your work on it and sharing it with the community.

Hi,

I've been using and trying some other AI mods but I have to say this one has been the most fun so far. I tried bCombat for the first time this week on a mission I made and played through a month ago, the new AI behaviour made the mission a lot more fun. The AI actually hugged cover and flanked me rather then running out in the open then fleeing in a straight line after several of their kind dropped. If I stayed in one place too long it always resulted in death for me or a team mate so fire fights were fire and maneuver affairs rather then camping in a good spot until the AI enemy ran out of troops from blindly attacking through the open.

The only down side was that I found it more difficult to control my AI team mates. Perhaps it was their desire, through bCombat, to always seeks the best cover themselves that would result in them going for cover rather then following orders to advance with me to an objective.

At any rate this is my new standard AI mod thank you for your work on it and sharing it with the community.

Thanks for you positive feedback, glad to know bCombat gave you a better tactical experience, which is its ultimate goal.

Please let me know more about the subordinate issues: by design they basically do get better situational awareness, enhanced targeting prioritization and automatic stance handling.

On the contrary they don't get any movement-related enhancements (including move-to-cover routines), not to collide with player's orders.

Only notable exception is fast-movement to destination, which is triggered when a MOVE command is given to more than 1 unit.

May this come as a Script version for Mission makers? Would love to include this one without any Addon requirement for my mission.

Please let me know more about the subordinate issues: by design they basically do get better situational awareness, enhanced targeting prioritization and automatic stance handling.

On the contrary they don't get any movement-related enhancements (including move-to-cover routines), not to collide with player's orders.

Only notable exception is fast-movement to destination, which is triggered when a MOVE command is given to more than 1 unit.

Can we get this as an option? I mostly play SP and sometimes just want to do once in a while ask a AI to regroup but not micromanage.

I had some time the last couple of days to play with options. Allowing all units to suppress and cranking up the rates and allowing all units to provide over watch, 50% fancy moves was EXCELLENT. Every gunfight was madness. Bullets everywhere. Still getting some entertainment from just tweaking options. Thanks Fab T.

Thanks for you positive feedback, glad to know bCombat gave you a better tactical experience, which is its ultimate goal.

Okay from my observations this is what I see regarding the friendly AI in my squad;

1) When moving in a forested area the AI "seem" to move from cover to cover rather then strictly adhere to staying in formation. That's not so bad, actually more realistic. This type of movement does not exist when I launch a mission without bCombat. It looks to me like the AI Team members are constantly acting like they are in Combat state even when there are no enemies.

2) The AI tend to rush ahead of me. While moving in formation (sort of as mentioned in point 1), when the Player comes to a stop to look around or go prone the Team AI tend to keep going for several more steps then never seem to get back into formation.

3) If the Team AI detects the enemy, they frequently engage even when I have given the "Hold Fire". Once shooting starts the Team AI begin combat maneuvering and don't stay in formation unless the "All Stop" command is given. This makes Ambushes totally impossible. Silently moving up on an enemy camp and getting the Team AI into position also is a problem since the friendly AI engage almost immediately once they are within a certain distance (100 meters or less perhaps).

Some of this behaviour has been observed with the normal Arma 3 AI but with bCombat mod they seem a lot more aggressive.

Sorry I can't be more specific at this time. I need to play with it more and take note of the Ai behaviour. The enemy AI is for sure a better opponent but I like better fire and maneuver discipline from a friendly Special Forces Team.

:cool:

Edited by Dr@gon