fabrizio_t

[OPEN BETA] [SP] bCombat infantry AI Mod

How would you rate AI firing accuracy within bCombat v0.15?  

92 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate AI firing accuracy within bCombat v0.15?

• Way too low
    • A bit low
    • Almost fine
    • A bit high
    • Way too high

This is a little something that I found out yesterday did you know that jsrs sound mod actually lowers fps

Originally Posted by LordJarhead View Post

Well since I for myself never really play multiplayer with JSRS I dont give a damn about reddit posts. I dont made the mod for people to play multiplayer with it, for that reason there are other mods better than JSRS due to the scripting and what ever other points Nou brought up. The mod has been made for the audiophile players who just dont care so much about an FPS drop or what so ever. And improving JSRS is to most people already impossible to imagine. Sure there is always plenty of room for improvements but tbh, I really could care less sometimes

Not saying I wont work on JSRS further, I will! I just made the new Truck, heh. Actually trying out some new things and basic ideas I have. So the performance will be decreasing even more maybe^^ The new Truck3 has 41 sound effects and lays around 40~ MB just for audio size. Actually trying to see where I can go with this, and where I will come to an point the game will bring up borders ...

So I installed the latest version of Bcombat, but I can see the enemy positions on the map, a dialog window on the top right and little balloons over soldiers' heads. How do I get rid of this?

You need to turn off the debug Bobblehead..... welcome to the forums BTW.

You need to turn off the debug Bobblehead..... welcome to the forums BTW.

Thank you, that's the code in the bcombat config file right? I set all the lines that refer to debug mode to false but it's still there.

Thank you, that's the code in the bcombat config file right? I set all the lines that refer to debug mode to false but it's still there.

You have to completely exit and restart the game for the config change to take effect. The only debug line you have to change is in config.sqf (~ l. 11):

bcombat_dev_mode = false;

fabrizio, I fuckin love bcombat, in my opinion still the best AI mod! just want to share some suggestions/questions:

1.i feel like the movement to cover (when in the open) could need a little improvement as sometimes only a few of a group move to cover or ignore it at all, even when max.cover dist. is increased and applytoallmembers is chosen. (Had some good results with ASR here, although i dont like the rest) Cover should have somehow priority, especially as long as AI hasnt fully detected the enemy.

What i would also like to know: is this feature also triggered if not in bdetect/supr. distance?

2. Maybe AI should remain in lying stance a little longer after/while getting shot at

3. Is it possible to increase the angle of view/awareness in cqb?

Best regards and thanks for your great work

Hi Fabrizio,

1) How is it looking with AI throwing grenades in CQB situations? It was a long time ago I saw them do that. Is something broken from BIS side?

2) Why are suppressing machineguners moving all the time (they shoot few bursts and then move and so on, still running around getting themselves killed and not shooting enough). Would it be possible to make them more static and concentrating on shooting when they see enemy?

EDIT:

3) Also, is it possible to increase the distance the units travel during bounding overwatch before stopping and covering another moving units? Right now they stop every 3 meters. It would make sense that they travel from cover to cover and only if there is no cover around to use classic bounding overwatch but with increased distances between each unit. Is it something you can change or it is hardcoded?

I use DEV branch if it makes any difference.

Thanks in advance for the info.

Edited by Bouben

Hi Fabrizio,

1) How is it looking with AI throwing grenades in CQB situations? It was a long time ago I saw them do that. Is something broken from BIS side?

2) Why are suppressing machineguners moving all the time (they shoot few bursts and then move and so on, still running around getting themselves killed and not shooting enough). Would it be possible to make them more static and concentrating on shooting when they see enemy?

EDIT:

3) Also, is it possible to increase the distance the units travel during bounding overwatch before stopping and covering another moving units? Right now they stop every 3 meters. It would make sense that they travel from cover to cover and only if there is no cover around to use classic bounding overwatch but with increased distances between each unit. Is it something you can change or it is hardcoded?

What version of the mod? They throw smoke with 0.16RC2 (on Github).

What version of the mod? They throw smoke with 0.16RC2 (on Github).

Playing the v0.15 and I am talking about hand grenades.

Playing the v0.15 and I am talking about hand grenades.

My comment still applies. Grenades were fixed in 0.16.

My comment still applies. Grenades were fixed in 0.16.

Cool! I will wait for 0.16 then. Will it work with the DEV branch?

sry to spam this thread again but it seems that bcombat is somehow interfering with the alive-mod - i experienced a reduced movement of AI units -sometimes they wouldnt move at all, as if the opcom wouldnt work properly... can someone confirm that?

I run both... with no problems. AI move and Opcom sends profiled units around the map

SJ

Has anybody ever had somebody surrender? I'd like to see more of that.

Yes, of course. Kill all their friends and shoot LOTS of rounds about them and watch :)

I'd like to see them surrender more in CQB situations...rush in and they surrender before they even process what happens...better for interrogation/intel

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

I'd like to see them surrender more in CQB situations...rush in and they surrender before they even process what happens...better for interrogation/intel

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

Easiest way to have some lowly skilled unit surrender would be surprising it: come into its field of view at very close distance and spray bullets over / around him.

Reason is units suffer morale penalties both when suddenly detecting close enemies and when being fired upon. Casualties and wounds have similar effect (also wounds slow down morale recovery).

Morale hit always depends on unit skill.

Lowly skilled units commanded by a highly skilled unsuppressed leader are way less prone to surrender (strong leadership is strengthening units morale).

You won't be able to make an unit surrender if you're far from it (>100 meters), have no clear line of sight on it or you're not within its peripheral vision angle: it'll try moving away or detect you and counterattack.

---------- Post added at 10:27 ---------- Previous post was at 10:15 ----------

Hi Fabrizio,

EDIT:

Please run v0.16RC2, as v0.15 is to be considered almost obsolete.

3) it's almost hardcoded. Bounding behaviour depends alot on terrain characteristics and on group composition: bigger groups usually behave worse.

Often units "stop&go" due to (core) formation fighting (core) movement to cover logics, which is a low level issue.

Edited by fabrizio_T

Enjoying using 0.16RC2 at the moment, but the AI just needs to react a little faster, be even more aggressive (when the fight is going their way - ie pushing forward to contact!) or defensive if they are getting their arses handed to them. It is a pity that we still don't have a 'haul ass' waypoint, where the AI will sprint towards a waypoint.

It is good to see other AI enhancements showing up in the forums too. Have you had a look at how MCC (GAIA) assigns waypoints, or how 'AI Overhaul - Reactive Squads' assigns targets/waypoints? Is there any gems of wisdom that would make bCombat superlative ?

As ever, if there is an RC3 to test, you know where I am :)

Edited by Kremator
foung the name of the AI Overhaul

Enjoying using 0.16RC2 at the moment, but the AI just needs to react a little faster, be even more aggressive (when the fight is going their way - ie pushing forward to contact!) or defensive if they are getting their arses handed to them. It is a pity that we still don't have a 'haul ass' waypoint, where the AI will sprint towards a waypoint.

It is good to see other AI enhancements showing up in the forums too. Have you had a look at how MCC (GAIA) assigns waypoints, or how 'AI Overhaul - Reactive Squads' assigns targets/waypoints? Is there any gems of wisdom that would make bCombat superlative ?

Yeah I have been having the same issue with them reacting. I think they should go for immediate cover when shots are fired. But they do the opposite and stand or duck but then never react till someone is shot or shot really close. I think when sound is heard reaction of cover should be what they do like in WWai cover mod. They reacted to sound and took immediate cover. By the way I just got a new graphics card today nividia gt 630 and I seem to be getting better fps I'm getting around 36 high/low 25 way better then before high 30/ low 15 ...any way I digress so I don't think I will have problem with ai working better.

Dynamic waypoints insertion was already present within FlexAI, as well as raw combat odds evaluation and situation driven group behaviour (flank, hold, assault).

That said i've learnt along the way this kind of feature should be kept off from a low level AI improvement mod, since it tends consistently breaking missions and campaign flow.

It's good only for sandbox play.

I think it's better addressing this kind of feature into some additional and dedicated mod, so that players may choose what to pick, depending on what they're playing the most (story driven vs. sandbox).

EDIT:

by the way, you may force units to be more aggressive by setting bcombat_allow_targeting = true and raising bcombat_targeting_max_distance values. Try bcombat_targeting_max_distance = [100, 200];

This gives units more freedom in locking and chasing single targets even if not in RED combat mode.

Raising bcombat_cqb_radar_max_distance value will make units more aware / reactive too. Try setting bcombat_cqb_radar_max_distance = 200, but consider it would eventually cause up to 4x the original overhead.

I remember somebody commenting about machinegunners overwatch being not effective enough.

Please consider that units provide overwatch in order to protect primarily their group and their leader.

So they lay down suppressive fire as long as their leader is close by, then move to regroup.

Relevant settings is bcombat_stop_overwatch_max_distance.

Suppressive fire is deployed as long as distance (from unit to leader) is within range.

---------- Post added at 09:16 ---------- Previous post was at 09:05 ----------

Yeah I have been having the same issue with them reacting. I think they should go for immediate cover when shots are fired. But they do the opposite and stand or duck but then never react till someone is shot or shot really close. I think when sound is heard reaction of cover should be what they do like in WWai cover mod. They reacted to sound and took immediate cover. By the way I just got a new graphics card today nividia gt 630 and I seem to be getting better fps I'm getting around 36 high/low 25 way better then before high 30/ low 15 ...any way I digress so I don't think I will have problem with ai working better.

If the sound being heard is perceived as far enough i see no reason for having units instantly move to cover.

Also gunfire may be enemy or friendly: in my opinion a far sound alone should not drive any reaction except for alerting units.

Think about the case of a group rushing to support some pinned / suppressed friendlies: they should come in the area as fast as possible to relieve them.

What would happen if they start moving into cover as soon as they start hearing any gunfire? Would they ever reach destination in time? How would they cohordinate their movement with other maneuvering groups?

Sure units should move to cover whenever they feel seriously threatened.

The whole point is threat evaluation. I think gunfire alone should not be considered a threat by itself, unless perceived as very close or if there's line-of-sight on shooter.

Edited by fabrizio_T

i see this the same way... it would look very strange having all units in the area search for cover every time a gunshot is heard on the battlefield

When we were advancing to contact our orders were to only seek cover if we were receiving "effective" incoming fire, otherwise you would never get across the ground. Effective meant someone getting shot or rounds landing nearby. Is there a way to check for rounds hitting in the vicinity, eg 20-30m radius of the unit?

When we were advancing to contact our orders were to only seek cover if we were receiving "effective" incoming fire, otherwise you would never get across the ground. Effective meant someone getting shot or rounds landing nearby. Is there a way to check for rounds hitting in the vicinity, eg 20-30m radius of the unit?

This is already done, with the difference that both a bullet hitting nearby and/or whizzling by is considered.

The former is handled by binding the relevant danger.fsm event to some custom logic. Distance detection is engine dependant, roughly about 10-20 meters in my experience.

bDetect is responsible for the latter: whiz hearing distance is capped to 6,5 meters and may be changed as will (tweak bdetect_bullet_max_proximity and bdetect_bullet_max_height).

Subsonic ammo flying by is not supposed to trigger any "hearing".

Edited by fabrizio_T

This is already done, with the difference that both a bullet hitting nearby and/or whizzling by is considered.

The former is handled by binding the relevant danger.fsm event to some custom logic. Distance detection is engine dependant, roughly about 10-20 meters in my experience.

bDetect is responsible for the latter: whiz hearing distance is capped to 6,5 meters and may be changed as will (tweak bdetect_bullet_max_proximity and bdetect_bullet_max_height).

Subsonic ammo flying by is not supposed to trigger any "hearing".

do the max_proximity and height also change the triggerdistances for the bullet penalty?