fabrizio_t

[OPEN BETA] [SP] bCombat infantry AI Mod

How would you rate AI firing accuracy within bCombat v0.15?  

92 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate AI firing accuracy within bCombat v0.15?

• Way too low
    • A bit low
    • Almost fine
    • A bit high
    • Way too high

This sounds fab, Fab :) Really looking forward to helping test this bad boy. Anyway, one thing that I have never seen in Arma3 (or any Arma to think about it) is troops walking backwards ocassionally when the tail man of a formation (normally line). In RL, you see the tail man doing this every so often to make sure noone is sneaking up. Is this even possible ?

I really don´t think that this is possible....

You can probably through a loop in and create an invisible helo pad every so often behind formation and give the tail guy a do watch command. Probably not the best or easiest way, but in theory it might work.

Yes, that would make them stop and turn around for a few seconds. Whilst this would indeed be a good start (to stop sneaky people sneaking up) what I am talking about is walking backwards, while scanning the rear direction. Would perhaps have to me MOCAPd so that it wouldn't look too strange?

Anyway, it is something for the backburner and not a priority.

The AI already does stop and look backwards if you have them walking in coloumn formation.

Try something like this

for "_x" from 1 to 10 do {unitname playMove "AmovPercMrunSrasWrflDb";};

Change the 1 and 10 to what ever meters or another variable you wish to make them walk as far as you want. I got this to work with a trigger naming the guy I wanted to walk backwards duf. If it works in a trigger it can work in script if you assign your variables correctly. ;)

pages I found this on:

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/playMove

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Armed_Assault:_Moves_List

Hope this helps.

Fab can't wait to test these awesome features you said is coming in the near future thanks for your hard work... We all have jobs and I understand being tied up in that and family life so thanks for your time you give us.

Just want to echo other's sentiments here. Great work with this mod, can't imagine playing without it.

cheers

Hi,

do you know the problem that the AI doesnt report the enemy (me) each other? So I fight with a group of 4 guys and (really) 20 meters away from them there is walking a normal patrol, although I am using AISS. Is there another mod to fix this?

Best regards and sorry for my English.

I have been doing some testing and I just can't figure this out dont know if this is a arma 3 bug or bcombat. When the enemy starts firing at my ai guys they stay in the open and shoot and dont run for cover at all and also they slowly move to cover which results to there death. I have seen so many time my whole team get just destroyed in first contact. Also night missions are a pain to the enemy has no NVGS only flash light which some how they spot me with about 20 meters away and then once they see you its over theres no hiding there like tracking dogs. Anyone have any of these problems I guess I will have to make video of this thanks.

So here is a video of what is happening every time.........https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZ-E7nXq_g8

Any Ideas folks?

Just something completely random to think about, but were the enemy positioned in any great elevated position?

The reason i ask is because i dont think they [AI] handle being attacked from different elevated positions very well, maybe they think there is cover between them and the enemy and dont realize the enemy is able to fire over the cover they think is covering?? although from quick tests maybe vanilla handle this situation better?

Again i haven't really tested anything here other than firing down on units from an elevated position, i notice with bCombat they might hit the dirt and maybe feel they are in cover when in fact i can easily pick them off quite easily, vanilla seem to understand they are not quite in cover and move to appropriate cover?

Maybe do a test on a level area?

Just a theory anyway :)

Just something completely random to think about, but were the enemy positioned in any great elevated position?

The reason i ask is because i dont think they [AI] handle being attacked from different elevated positions very well, maybe they think there is cover between them and the enemy and dont realize the enemy is able to fire over the cover they think is covering?? although from quick tests maybe vanilla handle this situation better?

Again i haven't really tested anything here other than firing down on units from an elevated position, i notice with bCombat they might hit the dirt and maybe feel they are in cover when in fact i can easily pick them off quite easily, vanilla seem to understand they are not quite in cover and move to appropriate cover?

Maybe do a test on a level area?

Just a theory anyway :)

Yeah I will give that try and video it if I see anything thats just not right

So here is a video of what is happening every time.........https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZ-E7nXq_g8

Any Ideas folks?

I'm using 0.16RC2 and the stable branch of A3. I tried to replicate your mission from the video and didn't get the same results. In fact, the NATO team put up a pretty great fight considering they were on a lower elevation and outnumbered 2 to 1. It's important to note that there is no hard cover near them unless they move to the buildings closer to enemies that surprise them. Anyway, instead of them sitting out in the open, they tossed a lot of smoke grenades and went down the side of the hill beside the road they were walking on. Most of them stayed prone and only came up over the edge in order to shoot at the enemy. The fight lasted at least 3 or 4 minutes, but OPFOR eventually overwhelmed BLUFOR, but not before BLUFOR were able to kill some of the enemy soldiers.

Test 2 not good just watch this time on flat ground...OH my head hurts this Ai WTF https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_YrJNfH0gI

---------- Post added at 10:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:20 PM ----------

I'm using 0.16RC2 and the stable branch of A3. I tried to replicate your mission from the video and didn't get the same results. In fact, the NATO team put up a pretty great fight considering they were on a lower elevation and outnumbered 2 to 1. It's important to note that there is no hard cover near them unless they move to the buildings closer to enemies that surprise them. Anyway, instead of them sitting out in the open, they tossed a lot of smoke grenades and went down the side of the hill beside the road they were walking on. Most of them stayed prone and only came up over the edge in order to shoot at the enemy. The fight lasted at least 3 or 4 minutes, but OPFOR eventually overwhelmed BLUFOR, but not before BLUFOR were able to kill some of the enemy soldiers.

You most have something configed right because I reinstalled bcombat 0.16 and got ass wiped again The only thing I did was turn smoke off because it kills my cpu I'm lucky to get 30 fps half the time. But the love for this game keeps me playing dont know why when I see sh#t like my video I just put up.

If your system is hard pressed to hold a constant 30 fps, this issues could also be due to the strain on your CPU. That is basically the reason many communities use a headless client for the AI. In the situation that a server or in your case your CPU is overwhelmed, the AI behaviour will deteriorate. Therefore the skills of the AI are in a way depending on the workload of the system which is responsible for them.

Another possible reason for your experience could be the objects you placed in the editor. I am by far no expert on bCombat but it could be possible that the AI does not recognize them as cover, because they are not part of the orginal map.

Another possible reason for your experience could be the objects you placed in the editor. I am by far no expert on bCombat but it could be possible that the AI does not recognize them as cover, because they are not part of the orginal map.

It should definitely treat most editor placed objects as cover.

The remark about AI is correct, when FPS go under the 15-20fps mark i usually start seeing incoherent AI behaviour.

Also consider that bDetect begins degrading its features under 20fps: it auto-adapts to your game performance.

(Keeping an eye on the thread while traveling, despite not having access to DEV PC ;))

Edited by fabrizio_T

It should definitely treat most editor placed objects as cover.

I expected nothing less ;). Just wanted to mention the possibility.

Keep up the great work!

Here's the thing this stuff just started happening since there last update of 1.14 ver and dev is just as bad..I never had this problem before.

BCombat is excellent, so a huge thumbs up to Fabrizio et al. for it.

What in-game AI skill and precision settings are best for use with it? The interaction between the in-mission settings and the menu settings make it awkward enough to figure out optimal settings, but a third layer of modification to the base level leaves me with no idea what to set everything to.

This is for SP, so I need to balance enemy skill against the comparitively inept friendly AI, I can imagine this will be tricky now BIS have coupled the two together (why would you do that?)

Cheers

BCombat is excellent, so a huge thumbs up to Fabrizio et al. for it.

What in-game AI skill and precision settings are best for use with it? The interaction between the in-mission settings and the menu settings make it awkward enough to figure out optimal settings, but a third layer of modification to the base level leaves me with no idea what to set everything to.

This is for SP, so I need to balance enemy skill against the comparitively inept friendly AI, I can imagine this will be tricky now BIS have coupled the two together (why would you do that?)

Cheers

bCombat presets were always checked against stock presets.

Things changed a bit with ArmA3 v1.14, but i still (subjectively) think the mod is best be played either on:

1) NORMAL settings: for forgiving and fun gameplay.

I'd consider this setting good for relaxed playing, campaign play or first approach to ArmA.

2) VETERAN settings: for challenging gameplay.

Good for short missions, tactical play and for experienced players.

Different missions will feature a wide range of units skill, hence your mileage may vary.