Sign in to follow this  
Alpha Whiskey Romeo

1st Infantry Division - BCT

rsr1u5D.png

First and foremost, this is my Division. It's the unit in which I currently serve. Given A3's timeline and associated units, I thought it was heavily lacking in the realism factor whence concerning the deployed forces. I tossed about utilizing the existing troops in the region - 173rd ABCT, 2nd Cav, and the 18th Engineer Brigade. I floated the idea of recreating said units, but ultimately decided upon my own. This modification/addon will not accurately depict any specific Battalion, Company, or unit, but will be a (fictional) recreation of a BCT or Brigade Combat Team centered in the Armaverse and the current timeline (kinda). The addon will use the default weapons and kit selection, and no custom weapons or configs will be utilized. As preferred, I'll leave the load-outs in the purview of the mission creators.

DISCLAIMER: This modification is based upon Alex's addon (with permission). Nothing will be released without his explicit say-so. If he decides to shoot it down, it's on him to do it. I won't fault him for doing so and neither should you if said request is made. The final decision rests with him and this is simply a WIP.

WIP Pics:

oUaKBrXl.jpg

mxdVEmyl.jpg

02ol1VKl.jpg

lqUHofPl.jpg

7ckcYZEl.jpg

vZQrLfCl.jpg

Edited by Alpha Whiskey Romeo

Hey man, awesome retextures!

I have two questions:

1) What animation is that in the first pic(guy on the right)?

2) How does the rank and name on the shoulder work? Are they entirely different textures or are they added onto the base texture somehow?

so how are these different from AV IndUs units, apart from the patches? it's still the same camo isn't?

Hey man that looks really clean. Good job.

ItsThomas. This looks a lot cleaner than the AV IndUS. From what it looks like he added items to the vests. A cleaner retexture of the units themselves.

Hey man that looks really clean. Good job.

ItsThomas. This looks a lot cleaner than the AV IndUS. From what it looks like he added items to the vests. A cleaner retexture of the units themselves.

i use av indus a lot and the patches on everything is the only difference,

I love them. My only question is do you have a plan for the ranks to mimic the Ranks in game? Ex. a Full bird would have a full bird patch in game..if so that would be amazing.

Will it get custom normalmaps so the patches get some plasticity, rather than being flat decals underneath the normalmap texture?

oUaKBrXl.jpg

A thank you mate !

Badass

What's up with the arsenal logo on the pack or is that just your XML?

Cheeky request from myself.

I honestly prefer if you'd put interchangeable soldier patches, so the mission maker can adjust these guys to whichever division he/she wants to base them on.

Hey man, awesome retextures!

I have two questions:

1) What animation is that in the first pic(guy on the right)?

2) How does the rank and name on the shoulder work? Are they entirely different textures or are they added onto the base texture somehow?

I don't recall the anim, sorry.

Each individual unit has a specific set of patches and name tapes making each texture unique. The majority of the names and ranks are from the guys in my Company, just FYI on that.

I love them. My only question is do you have a plan for the ranks to mimic the Ranks in game? Ex. a Full bird would have a full bird patch in game..if so that would be amazing.

The ranks range from Captain (i.e. Company Commander) down the PFC. It's representative (loosely) of elements from a BCT. If you look at the default US setup in the editor, you'll notice that it includes a mishmash of Infantry, Combat Engineers, Snipers etc. That's how the unit will be setup.

I honestly prefer if you'd put interchangeable soldier patches, so the mission maker can adjust these guys to whichever division he/she wants to base them on.

This is based upon my Division. If you'd like something more specific, then I'd suggest doing a unit addon of your own.

I don't really understand the sense of entitlement amongst the newer members around here...

This is based upon my Division. If you'd like something more specific, then I'd suggest doing a unit addon of your own.

I don't really understand the sense of entitlement amongst the newer members around here...

Nice work! But, newer? well, a month before you isn't really much "newer". It's really a general sense of entitlement period. Regardless of the similarities, or lack of major differences between this and AlexVestin's original addon, if you've got the permission then you certainly can make this however you want. Certainly admire your humility: "If he decides to shoot it down, it's on him to do it. I won't fault him for doing so and neither should you if said request is made." Looking forward to the release.

Why are you posting in the Addons and Mods: Discussion section if you don't want input?

Why are you posting in the Addons and Mods: Discussion section if you don't want input?

I'm pretty sure, that if a guy makes a mod about his own unit, its about his own unit, and if some other guy has opinnion about it, the mod-maker will surelly take it as an input, but may, or may not disregard it. Its his mod, he does what he wants with it, and others don't get to say what he should do... or something... Sounded better in my head :D

Nice work! But, newer? well, a month before you isn't really much "newer". It's really a general sense of entitlement period. Regardless of the similarities, or lack of major differences between this and AlexVestin's original addon, if you've got the permission then you certainly can make this however you want. Certainly admire your humility: "If he decides to shoot it down, it's on him to do it. I won't fault him for doing so and neither should you if said request is made." Looking forward to the release.

Been lurking since '03. But that's neither here nor there.

A difference exists between making suggestions and subtlety demanding that drastic changes be made, especially ones so far outside the scope of what I'm doing.

I dont have anything against what you're doing. You'd like to base them on the 1st ID, then please do so. Its your work after all. I was simply expressing my mind that instead of only having the one division in your mod, you could implement interchangeable soldier patches and be able to depict all your brothers in arms - 1st ID right through to 101st AB.

If you werent happy with my suggestion then you could've simply said no and moved on. Such a reply from you was unnecessary and especially since you're a servicemen, I expected a better attitude. There's really no point in opening a thread here if you're going to be less open to discussion.

Edited by Modder

I dont have anything against what you're doing. You'd like to base them on the 1st ID, then please do so. Its your work after all. I was expressing my mind that instead of only having the one division in your mod, you could implement interchangeable soldier patches and be able to depict all your brothers in arms - 1st ID right through to 101st AB.

If you're going to be less open on suggestions, there's really no point in opening a thread here.

Or you could respect his decision to only focus on 1st ID. There's only one reason to open a thread here, and that's to showcase or discuss a WIP addon. If it's only going to be 1st ID, then it's only going to be 1st ID. He does reserve the right to dismiss your suggestion just as much as he has the right to be open to and follow your suggestion. Not to mention, how would he accomplish such as task when the patch is nothing more than a flat texture? Something like that would require a model change, unless he were to make a different texture for each individual unit.

Question to AWR: do you use different army combat shirt textures for each individual unit (like SL having a acs texture with his rank, tl having a separate acs texture with his rank) or have you found some way to use one base uniform texture with different rank textures? Because, giving the nature of the model, I'd suspect the former, which would mean a lot of uniform textures.

I didn't want to leave the unit without some sort of specialized element, however, I didn't want to go the typical SF/ODA or some other USSOCOM route. I eventually landed on this, and it will be included in the addon.

RCUd1o9l.jpg

dMg7WJfl.jpg

Or you could respect his decision to only focus on 1st ID. There's only one reason to open a thread here, and that's to showcase or discuss a WIP addon. If it's only going to be 1st ID, then it's only going to be 1st ID. He does reserve the right to dismiss your suggestion just as much as he has the right to be open to and follow your suggestion. Not to mention, how would he accomplish such as task when the patch is nothing more than a flat texture? Something like that would require a model change, unless he were to make a different texture for each individual unit.

Question to AWR: do you use different army combat shirt textures for each individual unit (like SL having a acs texture with his rank, tl having a separate acs texture with his rank) or have you found some way to use one base uniform texture with different rank textures? Because, giving the nature of the model, I'd suspect the former, which would mean a lot of uniform textures.

Correct, it's the former and a lot of uniform textures. I always wondered why Cameron's 1st ID addon for A1 had such a large file-size at the time. Now I know.

Thanks for answering my question. I can't wait to utilize your units.

I always wondered why Cameron's 1st ID addon for A1 had such a large file-size at the time. Now I know.

Indeed. That, and a unique swatch of ACU for each loon. :)

What would be cool is to ask someone who made a proper nv goggles (lennard, stalkergb, etc.) and ask his permission to use it instead of the default one.

Indeed. That, and a unique swatch of ACU for each loon. :)

We used your 1ID addon almost exclusively back in the A1 days. Thanks for the great work on that modification by the way.

What would be cool is to ask someone who made a proper nv goggles (lennard, stalkergb, etc.) and ask his permission to use it instead of the default one.

Yeah, I'm looking at changing the NOD's but haven't settled on any specific set yet.