Sign in to follow this  
Yoshi

[WIP] Challenger 2 MBT UK

I can't see the screenies mate, don't know why. The previous screenies are very nice though :)

I posted the wrong links, sorry it is fixed now :)

The problem with normal maps is that I would need to do a low poly model and bake the normals on to that, I don't have time to redo a lower poly model, I have college, and that takes most of my time up. Thats why it's taken time to get this far, I'm sort of thinking of just testing her out and seeing what happens before I go ahead with anything along those lines, but thank you for the info. I do need to learn it anyway It's just college fills my brain as it is.

Fair enough. From a design perspective I'd leave the wheels the way you had them before, I know they seem awfully jagged BUT when in motion you won't see it and when textured you can manipulate the diffuse to make it appear more round.

Also a general rule of thumb, edges will always be more visible in the 3D editors and without textures.

Point taken, but the previous one are almost three times heavier in poly count so it seemed like a better idea to slim down, also I have a question, where and how do I add proxies for the smaller details, and would it be easier to work with if I split the model in to separate files, such as Hull, Turret, Gun etc?

Also what configs and such do I need to setup to at least test her in editor?

Point taken, but the previous one are almost three times heavier in poly count so it seemed like a better idea to slim down, also I have a question, where and how do I add proxies for the smaller details, and would it be easier to work with if I split the model in to separate files, such as Hull, Turret, Gun etc?

Also what configs and such do I need to setup to at least test her in editor?

http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/22ef/m3d46ov41cmg3j7fg.jpg?size_id=b These are higher than these? http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/e3d6/av48bcd5ep1hk43fg.jpg?size_id=b

Unless it was a "now and before" kind of thing in which case I misunderstood.

Proxies can be anything you want as long as it doesn't move. It uses a seperate file from the main model BUT the model files need to be separate if it moves vs doesn't.

For example you could turn the entire hull of the tank into a proxy (I have heard that you can proxy the turret or things on the turret but haven't had much luck with that yet) but you cannot turn the track wheels into proxies if you want them to roll.

Proxies are added in Oxygen in the BI tools (or Arma 3 tools on steam) and to make it you simply save the model under a file, select the model and click Create-proxy then copy the generated triangle and paste it in a separate file, bam, proxy. Fire up bulldozer (note that bulldozer must be restarted if new proxies are added while it is open, otherwise they will not show up) and if the triangle in the editor shows up as a model part in bulldozer then it worked.

Edited by NodUnit

The slight difference in poly weight on the updated version is due to the redesigned gun, sorry lol. And what do you mean paste it into a separate file, sorry, but it takes a while for me to understand how things work. My tutors at college have a field day trying to get me to do something without thinking it through first... I'm way to methodical.

The slight difference in poly weight on the updated version is due to the redesigned gun, sorry lol. And what do you mean paste it into a separate file, sorry, but it takes a while for me to understand how things work. My tutors at college have a field day trying to get me to do something without thinking it through first... I'm way to methodical.

Lets say you have the folder with the project models, another folder called Proxies, all proxy files would go into that folder. They would be separate p3d's, just like separate model file, the only thing connecting them is the proxy...imagine two circles being the two files and a line being drawn from one to the other, they are both separate circles but are now linked by a line, that line being the proxy call.

Ah OK, so all i need to do is separate what moves on the tank, put it into a separate file, and then add it as a Proxy in oxygen? So Tracks are the only thing I can't make a proxy, so then if I had my main hull and turret as the base model, the rest can be added via proxies? these wold be details and the gun? am I right so far.

Ah OK, so all i need to do is separate what moves on the tank, put it into a separate file, and then add it as a Proxy in oxygen? So Tracks are the only thing I can't make a proxy, so then if I had my main hull and turret as the base model, the rest can be added via proxies? these wold be details and the gun? am I right so far.
I'd keep the tracks, the wheels, the body, the turret, and main gun and other larger details and turn smaller ones into proxies.

So far yes, just remember to make the hull details and turret details into separate files, reason being is that proxies move on one axis per file so if you combined them then they would be static or all move based on selection name.

Ok I'll post an update in a few minutes when I sorted out the files and then you can let me know if what I've done is suitable and ready to be proxified :)

---------- Post added at 14:47 ---------- Previous post was at 14:30 ----------

Just a quick question, would I put the hatches and individual wheels in a their own files as well?

Hatches, wheels and other small unique axis animated parts should be on the main file, not the proxy files.

I don't mean proxies, I just mean should I keep them on the main model or separate them into smaller files?

---------- Post added at 16:08 ---------- Previous post was at 16:01 ----------

This is what I've done with the files. The wheels are in pairs, but separated into smaller files. (Mainly so It's easier to texture later).

73whc76jo3c0m3ufg.jpg

This is the model split up into various files.

f5bd2mx65vydbhjfg.jpg

Is this what you mean by leave them in the main model?

I don't mean proxies, I just mean should I keep them on the main model or separate them into smaller files?

---------- Post added at 16:08 ---------- Previous post was at 16:01 ----------

This is what I've done with the files. The wheels are in pairs, but separated into smaller files. (Mainly so It's easier to texture later).

http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/c3b8/73whc76jo3c0m3ufg.jpg

This is the model split up into various files.

http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/3624/f5bd2mx65vydbhjfg.jpg

Is this what you mean by leave them in the main model?

You could've left the turret, the turret hatches and the gun in but oh well. :P

I can, then what about the details, or should I leave them in separate files like they are now :)

---------- Post added at 16:20 ---------- Previous post was at 16:13 ----------

So like this then?

f5bd2mx65vydbhjfg.jpg

Ok So I've tried importing my model into Oxygen but all I get is an error message,

1n2enie1t33txezfg.jpg

I don't understand why, the model went in fine last time I tried, what does this mean?

Ok So I've tried importing my model into Oxygen but all I get is an error message,

http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/161c/1n2enie1t33txezfg.jpg

I don't understand why, the model went in fine last time I tried, what does this mean?

if i remember correctly i had this when i tried to import a simple pistol... i believe it was due to some open surfaces and "twin"-points (i hope you know what i mean). you probably need to look for some errors in your model, points or edges that don't belong anywhere

Is there an easier way to locate them except for clicking every line and vertex in my model?

the message is due to you having ngons instead of tris and quads. i dont use blender but all other software i use allows you to select faces based on a number of criteria (in your case >4 edges

Blender doesn't seems to have that, what software do you use?

The best way on fixing that is to export the model as a .dae, closing blender, open it back up and import and the .dae and then export it as a .obj. That should fix all the issues.

But yes, really nice model... Good work.

Hem your a star mate, now I have a question, do all the models need to converted into p3d to add them as proxies, and do I litterally click 'Create Proxy' in oxygen to do so?

Awesome! I can't wait for the release!

This blender tool for arma could be useful:

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=20519

http://friedenhq.org/?page_id=236

also this is a great tutorial, although its maya not blender, but you should check the oxygen part:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/94653768@N02/8619357972/in/set-72157633164874638

Edited by nightovizard

Hem your a star mate, now I have a question, do all the models need to converted into p3d to add them as proxies, and do I litterally click 'Create Proxy' in oxygen to do so?

You export them as .3ds and then import them as .3ds in O2, oxygen then saves the file as a p3d.