Sign in to follow this  
Yoshi

Tactical M4 Variants & Accessories [WIP]

To get any decent looking model I would have though they'd give us more breathing room. I'm not finished yet and my model's at 43k on faces alone. I don't want to have to scrap it because I've put a lot of work into it.

---------- Post added at 15:20 ---------- Previous post was at 15:03 ----------

Well, here is the finished grip. I've done what I can, seeing as it is my first time doing 3d modelling I think i'm doing ok.

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/1271/ka5b.jpg

Game assets are usually a low poly model that have normal maps baked from the high-poly (and mixed with some texture based normal mapping fun too!), so it'll look good in game if you start with high poly, then make a lowpoly duplicate to bake normals to. That's how game assets have that extra detail. It'll make certain things look like they have depth and texture at the shader level instead of just the color map level.

Baking the normal map is fairly easy in the long run. The hardest part will be UV unwrapping. If you need any help with texturing btw, PM me. Here's one of my better (although partial/unfinished) retextures I've done: http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout3/mods/19290/? which included some normal mapping as well. I'd love to help texture your models if you can't do it yourself! :)

I also don't believe you just started modeling. That's just crazy. Keep up the good work :)

Edited by MordeaniisChaos

And how would I do that, Start all over again, I'm new to it and I don't want to just scrap what I have.

Open it in 3ds max and use modifer ProOptimize it will cut down poly count without looking low poly depending on how much you optimize it.

Edited by Rages123

Also I have a question. Does the model have to be one object, and what is the limit on verts and faces?

It depends on how you export it. If you are using (shameless self-promotion) this, then you need to have each LOD as a separate object. If you are not going that way you can export the whole scene as OBJ and import into O2.

For a gun, I would limit the amount of triangles you use to around 12-14 thousand. More is possible but hardly ever required, since a lot of detail can be done via bump mapping.

---------- Post added at 14:37 ---------- Previous post was at 14:35 ----------

And how would I do that, Start all over again, I'm new to it and I don't want to just scrap what I have.

Since you are using Blender, you can use a shrinkwrap modifier along with surface snapping in a process called "Retopologizing". Basically, you use a high resolution model to quickly reproduce a low-resolution model on top of it. I did that in the past, and it works although I usually work the other way around these days.

Thank you all for the support, unfortunately the original model file corrupted when my computer shutdown randomly. How ever I have been hard at work, I've chosen a slightly more basic form of the M4 and have complete a fairly low poly model I think. It's nothing major and I'm going to start modelling my next one. My cousin has sent me a file for Folding battle sights but I don't know how to add animations. Also, being new to modelling I didn't realize that the round ejection chamber thing was mean to be open :( don't know enough to change it yet.

MordeaniisChaos I will indeed call on you for the textures if you don't mind, I'll PM you when I'm done with the Model.

Also I'm now getting to work on the Optics and such so please bare with me for those.

hzw7.jpg

o3bv.jpg

---------- Post added at 18:57 ---------- Previous post was at 17:03 ----------

Ok so after finishing the first model I have started to remodel my first choice, which is this image below.

yxow.png

I have so far been able to model the receiver part of the weapon, here it is so far.

qr1i.jpg

I will post more images as I go along :)

---------- Post added at 20:26 ---------- Previous post was at 18:57 ----------

So here I have a second picture of the receiver area, i've also added some more detail to the ejector area. I'm just adding some more details then I'm moving onto the left side. I'm also finding it more easier to model it while keeping the verts and face count down. :)

b03s.jpg

Edited by Yoshi

Ok, I have never used Blender, but does that say that your model is 460,000 tris?

Ah! WTF!! I didn't realize adding a damn modifier to the model would do that! Guess I'll have to whip up the one I'm doing now as quickly as possible.

The "Catmull-Clark" modifier your adding is called subdivision, it's used to turn a model into a high poly for purposes where poly limits aren't a thing (e.g film) You can also use this technique in 3ds max to bake a high poly models smoothing information and details to a low poly model (What people were trying to reference earlier). Reference this for blender http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:2.4/Manual/Modifiers/Generate/Subsurf . So this is why you have almost 1 million verts etc.

Ah so thats why the model was so high on it, I added it so that the model looked smoother but I think I put it to like 4/5. I will correct this in future.

You will need to use it if since you are subdivision modelling, however, this will also require you to subdivision model, it seems you are doing extrusion modeling without adding supporting geometry.

Are you by any chance the same Yosho who rips stuff from games for GTA?? I'm a little sceptical of your claims that you'd only been 3d moddelling for 12 hours and you produce the standards that you have??

The weapon on the first few posts was an "image" not a model. the Grey bit was modelled by yosho.. it wasn't obvious as first and I was like, "holy shit 12 hours!".... it becomes clear if you keep going.

Doesn't look ripped off really does it ? as it's a small component - the foregrip, or receiver. btw, you being privately skeptical, and publicly accusing someone is a different thing - suggest more research before you wildly sling accusations :) you might end up pissing off someone who's obviously new to the whole thing and just asking for help.

SJ

errr I asked if he was the same guy who rips from games, for the simple reason I know lots of the GTA lot that rippped and ported from other games and passed ot iff as their own. I don't see where I've accused him of anything .. do you?? So perhaps you might, just might heed your own post before making similar accusations

I asked him if he was the same guy... that's not an accusation that's a question.

I said I was sceptical of his 12 hours doing 3 d modelling after producing what he has.. again, there's no such thing there as publically accusing him of anything is there?

Did I imply that he's ripped that from another model? NO! but you did mentioned that me. So again there was no such accusation by me towards him....however that's exactly what you've done..

If I wanted to to accuse him, I'd do it and I do research stuff, why do you think I find ARMA2 stuff all over the place in other games, includng models, and textures, in my line of business it's called due diligence !!

If he's a natural gifted 3d model maker, fair play to him, and I wish him all the best in his endevours ;)

errr I asked if he was the same guy who rips from games, for the simple reason I know lots of the GTA lot that rippped and ported from other games and passed ot iff as their own. I don't see where I've accused him of anything .. do you?? So perhaps you might, just might heed your own post before making similar accusations

I asked him if he was the same guy... that's not an accusation that's a question.

I said I was sceptical of his 12 hours doing 3 d modelling after producing what he has.. again, there's no such thing there as publically accusing him of anything is there?

Did I imply that he's ripped that from another model? NO! but you did mentioned that me. So again there was no such accusation by me towards him....however that's exactly what you've done..

If I wanted to to accuse him, I'd do it and I do research stuff, why do you think I find ARMA2 stuff all over the place in other games, includng models, and textures, in my line of business it's called due diligence !!

If he's a natural gifted 3d model maker, fair play to him, and I wish him all the best in his endevours ;)

There was a lot that went Arma>GTA too.

Put it this way, if it was ripped from a game and was at such high poly count there's something even stranger going on...

Also over in the Q&A section he asked about using other's models from open source websites and as I understand it, took the route to make his own (perhaps he used some as reference though).

Well thanks for clearing that up for me Roadrunner. I guess your conscious is clear :-)

SJ

My concience is very clear, and again, you seem to forget that you also made allegations against me, try taking a serving of humble pie and an apology would not go amiss either!! ;)

IF I thought he was ripping stuff from other websites I'd ask outright, I do not beat about the bush, if I have something to say I will say it!! I know of another Yoshi from some GTA forums who, along with many others as scarecrow has also aluded to that a lot of stuff from ARMA was ported to other games, do you want to know why I'm curious ?? Simply becauue I've downloaded a LOT of these weapons, and their meshes fit EXACTLY to those of BiS.. So nill points for originality, full points for ripping off someone elses work !!!

There's a lot of guys here who also had their mods and addons reversed engineered as well, much to their disgust, and against their wishes, now here you are again being pretty sarcastic in your comments, when I've said to Yoshi, and everyone here can read it, due to this being in the public domain, that I wish him all the best in his efforts, I guess you missed that as you were too busy trying to be a smart arse ?

I will say it again, just incase you didn't quite get it the last time, Yoshi, all the best in your efforts to bring this addon to life..

;)

Wow - Roadrunner I seem to have poked a nerve. I retract my accusation of your accusation..... I'm also sorry I seem to have hurt your feelings.

I still think your original post seems inflammatory... I guess that must be my Warped perception of Written English.

Suggest we draw a line under it and stare at the pretty pictures as opposed to rubbing each others antlers :-)

SJ

Edited by serjames

You've not hurt my feelings in the slightest, it was merely a case of the pot calling the kettle black ;)

Happy New Year to you, and lets both sit back and see where Yoshi takes this, as it's a pretty decent concept ;)

I am not roadrunner, and I have only been doing it for a day or two now, I use 'Yoshi' as my name because it's my name. And for future reference I produce what I do because I don't like things looking shabby and poorly done, I go over what I do to get it right. And happy new year.

And I'm sorry I haven't updated anything yet, I'm finding it difficult to model the certain aspects and so I'm keeping progress under wraps for another day or two to allow me to concentrate.

Edited by Yoshi

Thanks Yoshi, well keep up the good work, as this looks to be very promising indeed

Well,model seems good so far,and will these optics work just like the G33 in FHQ Accessories pack?

Omg I forgot about the M4, I have been so concentrated on my Tank mod that the M4 kinda slipped into the background. I promise that I haven't done it on purpose and I seek your forgiveness, If I get what I want done with the tank I will swing back round and continue with the M4.

Hurry up with the tank darn it. Just kidding. Thanks for keeping us informed.

Thank you for your understanding, and as compensation for your momentary suffering when I'm done with the preparation, would you like to be a tester?

Omg I forgot about the M4, I have been so concentrated on my Tank mod that the M4 kinda slipped into the background. I promise that I haven't done it on purpose and I seek your forgiveness, If I get what I want done with the tank I will swing back round and continue with the M4.

Oh,maybe we can wait ,but still waiting for both the tank and M4,keep on nice working,manï¼