Drongo69

Drongos Artillery (an advanced artillery system)

@Legolasindar

I'm not sure, though I did fix one error that may have been causing that problem. If it is not working, you could try putting this in your init.sqf:

sleep 10;
dtaRadioTypes = dtaRadioTypes + [_myRadioType];

replacing _myRadioType with whatever the radio classname is. I'm not sure about the MLRS issue, but I have made some changes to how it works in this release.

@Foxhound

Thanks for the mirror.

@Legolasindar

I'm not sure, though I did fix one error that may have been causing that problem. If it is not working, you could try putting this in your init.sqf:

sleep 10;
dtaRadioTypes = dtaRadioTypes + [_myRadioType];

replacing _myRadioType with whatever the radio classname is. I'm not sure about the MLRS issue, but I have made some changes to how it works in this release.

@Foxhound

Thanks for the mirror.

Not work, i tried with differents configurations and class names, but no work. Remember TFAR not use own classic radio class for the little radios, only for long range radios. TFAR use ItemRadio class, but the addon wait some seconds for automatically change the vanilla radio for TFAR radio, and when you get radio from other enemy corpse, for example, the addon change the enemy radio for a own side radio automatically.

For little radios, use ID system

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?169029-Task-Force-Arrowhead-Radio&p=2577148&viewfull=1#post2577148

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?169029-Task-Force-Arrowhead-Radio&p=2577290&viewfull=1#post2577290

Edited by Legolasindar

I didn't know that, that makes things more complex. Does TFAR have some kind of array or variable that tracks whether a player has a radio? I could allow by that instead of checking for radio classname.

I am looking into supporting ACRE and Task Force Arrowhead. I do not use either of these myself. If anybody knows how to check at the client level if the player has such a radio, please contact me.

Edited by Drongo69

@Drongo69

I updated the rights on my google drive mission file. You should be able to download without an account now.

EDIT: I did lot of testing. Looks like no matter what I do, every time I call for scorcher support, first salvo is on target, all subsequent one are off target.

I tried changing the sheaf. Tried calling FFE without SPOT. Tried grouped units, solo units. Made no difference, issue still happening.

I didn't found the pattern with mortar but it looks like it's not always happening as its the case with Scorchers. Sometimes all subsequent shots are off target, sometimes they all are on target.

Need more testing but mortar are lot less buggy.

Edited by Silverwave

Small suggestion: When entering the coordinates, would be nice that pressing enter (including numbpad enter) would act as if clicking on "input" with the mouse.

First, awesome work I love this mod. Realistic Artillery gets me hard.

Second, Regarding Task Force Radios.

I think the issue is the classnames you've included are backpacks, however your mod only detects double click on the radio slot. With TFR it has 1000 different class names for each individual radio (that replace "itemRadio") so doing it that way wont work. but if you were to allow your scripts to also detect double click on the backpack in the inventory that should work.

Just a thought, I don't expect you to cater your addon to anyoen elses. Just saw alot of back and forth regarding TFR and figured I'd throw in my two cents.

Great mod, cheers.

@D.Smithy,

thx for that. appreciated. maybe we can leave the profanity and accusatory tone out of it next time?

I have never served in the UK military so I do not know what you call fire missions. I have been out for a good long while (maybe things have changed?), but I did serve in the US military, and we do have an immediate suppression type of mission. perhaps you did not know that. it would also be helpful if you were <well, you know, you wrote it!> to explain things. are you an FO, artillery officer, NCO? work in the FDC (fire direction center)? on the guns? In the US military FO and artilleryman are different jobs and I ask because it is interesting to learn how other militaries are different (as I wrote in one of my previous posts there are likely to be differences even with differing forces in the same nation's military). there are also other ways to call for fire than grid, like polar plots and shift from a known point. with this mod I think we seem to be most interested in the grid method as it may be the only practical and/or simplest method.

@Drongo,

to be clear I do not think anyone is questioning the value of your work or how good it is. It is a great addition to ARMA3 and thank you for it.

FWIW, the types of fire missions are: adjust fire, fire for effect, suppress, immediate suppression/smoke. maybe this explains a bit more since I may not be clear on the differences between immediate suppression and first round fire for effect.

Adjust Fire

5-7. When the observer decides that an adjustment is needed because of a questionable target location or lack of registration corrections, he announces, “Adjust fire (A/F).â€

Fire for Effect

5-8. The observer should always strive for first-round FFE. The accuracy required to FFE depends on the target and the ammunition being used. When the observer is certain that the target location is accurate and that the first volley will have the desired effect on the target with little or no adjustment, he announces, “Fire for effect.â€

Suppress

5-9. To quickly bring fire on an inactive target, the observer announces, “Suppress (target identification number).†Suppression missions are normally fired on preplanned targets, and the duration is associated with the CFF.

Immediate Suppression or Immediate Smoke

5-10. When engaging a planned target or target of opportunity that has taken friendly maneuver or aerial elements under fire, the observer announces, “Immediate suppression (IS).†If the desired effect is a hasty screen for obscuration, the FO announces, “Immediate smoke.â€

I can do more research if desired. I can probably find some RL gun bunnies in the US military as a cross reference.

Can I ask why you increased the time between rounds for mortars? Are they not faster than larger artillery? do you have real life references for the different sizes of tubes for time between rounds?

I forgot, my M6 mortar issue was how I was placing them in with the editor. they do work. as someone else noted though, they seem to be pretty inaccurate. I will try again with new version and update.

Edited by hlfritz
m6 mortar clarification

First post updated with a new release. I have tried to add support for TFAR and ACRE using their default radio-check functions. In my testing though, it seems like the ACRE function only works with the replacement for the default radio, but I was just adding other radios to myself with script commands. I am not sure if that breaks ACRE. TFAR seems to work as expected. Note however that I only tested these in SP, and I did not check every radio type. No promises that TFAR/ACRE are now supported, if people have success please let me know.

v0.21

• Added support for dedicated servers (hopefully)
  • Added support for TFAR (hopefully)
  • Tried to add support for ACRE

@hlfritz

Can I ask why you increased the time between rounds for mortars?
Purely for error-fixing reasons. I suspect that too short a wait between rounds is causing accuracy errors.

v0.21

• Added support for dedicated servers (hopefully)

Maybe you know this already but you can start up a local dedicated server, then join it. That way it's easier to test dedicated server compatibility. I do it when I playtest my missions and/or scripts.

Updated version frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

==================================================

You are not registered on Armaholic, or at least not that we are aware of. In the future we offer the possibility to authors to maintain their own pages.

If you wish to be able to do this as well please register on Armaholic and let me know about it.

This is not mandatory at all! Only if you wish to control your own content you are welcome to join, otherwise we will continue to follow your work like we have always done ;)

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Sorry to say so,but it's not a useful mod because of the lots of bugs,I can't say if it's right to ask you to fix them all,but as for me,I won't use this anymore for 60% of the fire supports I called disappeared for no reason(or the reason i can't tell now).

But I can see that you did a lot of hard works on the mod,so...okay then,I will wait for you next mod but not this one.:)

Thanks for the update, now TFAR work with you addon, good work, but have new bugs.

Radio messages and audio disappear with TFAR: With TFAR, audio of you addon radio not work, and some received messages dissapear. If i call fire support, my messages with coordinates appear at chat, but message of Artillery confirming task, sent fire, splash, mission end, etc... not appear and not play.

M5 MLRS not work and not messages: In M5, directly not appear any message, and for my continue "Invalid asset type"

First post updated with a hotfix. Changelog:

v0.22

• Added dta_fnc_HasRadio to check if the player has a radio
  • Fixed a bug with \Misc\CommsPlay.sqf not detecting player radio

@Silverwave

I tried your test mission and I noticed something really weird. I got the same deviated rounds as you (first on target, then misses to the north). So I teleported with LALT maplick to look at what the artillery units were doing. As soon as I did that they started shooting on target. So I teleported away and rounds started going off target. Teleport back, rounds start arriving properly again. I don't know if the arty was looking at a weird direction or if the rounds were deviating massively from the barrel. So my suspicion is that this is some kind of engine bug. If so, I have no idea how to fix it. I'll have to do more testing, monitoring turret direction and so forth.

@andersson

Thanks, I didn't know that, very useful to know.

@JinougaF

Fair enough, but if you don't report the nature of the bugs in some detail, I can't fix them.

Damn, that's really wierd! Anyway, thanks for checking it out! I hope someone will find some clue on how to fix this! I guess I'll have to rely on mortars until then! :P

Thanks a lot Drongo!

Hotfix frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

==================================================

You are not registered on Armaholic, or at least not that we are aware of. In the future we offer the possibility to authors to maintain their own pages.

If you wish to be able to do this as well please register on Armaholic and let me know about it.

This is not mandatory at all! Only if you wish to control your own content you are welcome to join, otherwise we will continue to follow your work like we have always done ;)

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Thanks, with the new versión again work chat text and audio play.

I cant solve the problem from the M5 MLRS, i show you what i do.

First, a put 4 M5 linked, but i tried with one alone.

9opi.jpg

Next, i call M5, and i tried differents configurations, this capture is only one example.

tg15.jpg

And when click Transmit, appear this message.

9vm6.jpg

I tried in Altis and Stratis with differents coordinates, i tried with and without addons (including with and without TFAR), but with M5, ever have this problem.

P.D: I suggest mount the addon zip with the final structure for easy install ;)

- @drongosartillery

-- Addons

- userconfig

0bj8.jpg

Edited by Legolasindar

@legolandisar

Could you please do the following:

1) Open a new mission in the editor.

2) Place an M5 MLRS.

3) Put MLRS1 in the name field.

4) Start the mission.

5) Hit esc and in the Debug Console type:

hint format ["M5 Classname: %1",(typeOf mlrs1)];

6) Click LOCAL EXEC.

What does the hint say say? On my version it says: "M5 Classname: B_MBT_01_mlrs_F".

@legolandisar

Could you please do the following:

1) Open a new mission in the editor.

2) Place an M5 MLRS.

3) Put MLRS1 in the name field.

4) Start the mission.

5) Hit esc and in the Debug Console type:

hint format ["M5 Classname: %1",(typeOf mlrs1)];

6) Click LOCAL EXEC.

What does the hint say say? On my version it says: "M5 Classname: B_MBT_01_mlrs_F".

Same for me "M5 Classname: B_MBT_01_mlrs_F".

@Brenton

Could you please try the exact same fire mission, but this time try standing next to the artillery battery and post your results here. It sounds crazy, but it seems like player proximity can affect the arty. This problem is driving me up the wall.

@Legolasindar

Could you please upload a sample mission to see if I get the same problem.

---------- Post added at 01:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:48 AM ----------

I think I have made some progress on the "rounds drifting way off target" problem. Please test this version and report results:

Version 0.23

Just tried it out, sheaf is much tighter on my end, getting better...

I used the debug mode and tried a high and a low FFE.

arma32014-01-0510-37-39-71_zpsb985d14a.jpg

Edited by Brenton

@Brenton

Are you using any mods? Could you please upload a test mission?

V.23

arma32014-01-0511-26-41-56_zps8e6f08ec.jpg

Current launch line, -mod=@CBA_A3;@ACRE;@JayArmA3Lib;@TFM_Endorsed;@TFM_InHouse;@A3MP -nosplash -noPause -nologs -world=empty

Will retest with just -mod=@CBA_A3;@ACRE;@JayArmA3Lib -nosplash -noPause -nologs -world=empty

V.23, no extra mods, just ACRE, CBA and JayArma

arma32014-01-0511-35-29-14_zpsfd1c0818.jpg

Target was Kamino, 4 M4 guns, HIGH, 6, FFE, target 0640 0530

First Fire mission never works.

Second FFE, first salvo landed 1/2 way to target, 2nd salvo was on target, 3- 6 were fired north.

Edited by Brenton