Sign in to follow this  
NickThissen

Prevent civilian going into "scared" mode

Hi,

I want to make a mission where a suicide bomber suddenly runs out from a crowd of civilians and blows up the vehicle that the players arrived in. The idea is simple: players arrive by car (medic truck), get out and walk toward a crowd of civilians, after a couple seconds one civilian suddenly runs out shouting and runs towards the truck, then blows up.

Everything basically works, except that it looks stupid because all the civilians (including the bomber) go into "scared" mode when we arrive. By that I mean: they drop down on a knee and only crouch. Even the bomber doesn't really run toward the vehicle but he is crouched the whole way and it just looks strange. I have set the unit to COMBAT or AWARE modes and set his combat mode to RED but nothing seems to have any effect, as soon as we arrive the civilians go into this scared mode and never seem to recover from it, even if I use a doMove command on them or trigger waypoints for them.

How can I prevent the units from going into this scared mode, or how can I 'reset' them to their regular behaviour?

another approach would be: this DisableAI "FSM";

this disables the Danger.fsm, therfor they never react to anything dangerous.

Set them to Careless

Makes no difference, still crouching :(

another approach would be: this DisableAI "FSM";

this disables the Danger.fsm, therfor they never react to anything dangerous.

Hmm, still crouching and now he doesn't even move anymore.

Still doesn't work, I tried every combination of all those commands and it's the same every time: civilians go into 'scared' mode and never recover :(

Another vote for "careless" works fine here.

I don't think disableAI "FSM" is as effective as it was in A2/OA it just seems to stop them jumping out of vehicles.

What about

disableAI "ANIM";

Though careless + setUnitPos "UP" should do the trick.

NickThissen, are you playing as BLUFOR?

Civilians are usually only scared of OPFOR units, the only way I can think about to fix this would be the setFriends command.

If your units are BLUFOR there has to be something weird going on in your mission.

Yes I am playing as Blufor.

Here is a test mission:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14309718/SuicideBombTest.Stratis.zip

See for yourself how it works. It starts with you in the cargo of a truck, wait until the truck stops, get out and walk toward the group of civilians (note how they are already 'scared'). When close enough one of the civilians will move toward the truck and blow up. But the whole time he is in 'scared' mode and not running, even though I am setting setUnitPos to UP and careless and ... Nothing works.

Hmmm it might be a mod, yeah, didn't think of that. Annoying! Did the bomber actually run toward the truck when you tried it?

I'll see if I can find which mod it is... I don't really know which mods do what because I just installed the mods a friend recommended. Here's what I am running, maybe someone has a clue? I suspect the TPW mods (they are for civilian life right?)

mods.png

Yes confirmed here the bomber runs to the truck and it explodes

Same here, mk82 bomb, pretty rough for a guy in a shirt n shorts

most likely it's one of those mods that influence AI behaviour

no idea about them though

Civilians are usually only scared of OPFOR units

Civilians react scared to everyone that is set as hostile towards the indipendent (GREENFOR) faction. The standard-setting for GREENFOR is friendly to BLUEFOR, so unless one changes that, they won't be scared off of BLUEFOR soldiers. If you set Indipendent to friendly to OPFOR, Civilians will be scared off by BLUEFOR Troops, ect.

Altough this is a good mechanism to controll the behaviour of civilians in a mission, it leads to problems if GREENFOR is intended to be hostile towards a faction that civilians should not fear :oops:

• Thanks 1