Sign in to follow this  
sakura_chan

ArmA 2 C-130J and MV-22 Redux

just my $0.02 cents worth...just because the V-22 of 2013 can't lift 34 combat loaded infantry doesn't mean in 2035 (which is the year A3 is set) this won't be possible through:

- better engines

- stronger blades

- lighter/stronger alloy used for the fuselage

- other advancements in technology between 2013 and 2034 (say the year the V22 is built prior to deployment in A3 theatre).

Lets not limit ourselves to today's technology. This is how BIS wanted to go...so lets go with them. I'm not saying sharks with friggin laser beams but surely there's got to be SOME kind of technological advancement in weaponry, etc between now and then.

SO...lets make the V22 capable of lifting 34 or even 40 combat loaded infantry. Don't bring 'realism' into this for the sake of gameplay.

Yeah flir is already integrated on the left most screen. Its 100% necessary as the pilot sits in a way that you cant see much of the ground. I dont want to tie the pip for the pilot into a copilot controlled turret because in mp some jerk would always be spinning it around when you need it for landing. Still working out a few things like that. I find that arma transport pilots are the best guys ever and should generally be given full control of the chopper. I might add a feature that would let the pilot activate the copilots control of the camera, as in real life it would be used for cargo loading and landing so one fixed position wouldnt be very helpful. I decided to go with the max troops...its an open project so if someone wants to make their own version with 24 seats you are welcome to do so.

@Sakura_Chan

I am very glad you have take the time to port these vehicles from Arma 2 but if you really must have your unrealistic 34 seat version, could you please at least have a copy of each variant with the correct 24 seats? I love how you have tried your best to make it realistic, but why stop at the seating?

Or you could, you know, only ask nicely that 24 people go in?

Wait, what's unrealistic about it? You already said that the Osprey can be loaded to 34 for transit between bases, with the caveat that it would be too heavy for combat loads. Someone else said that weight isn't an issue. So then what is? A rulebook?

From what I can tell, it's fully possible to load a V-22 to 34 fully equipped troops, even if it isn't the safest. If it's possible, then how is it unrealistic? Should we not have the option to load the aircraft to its FULL capacity, not just its official one?

If you go back and check, it was discovered that the 34 soldiers was an error on Wikipedia likely from some parts of the military information of the aircraft that could be confusing.

This is similar to were the mistake comes from: "Soldier capacity 2/24/12" with the 2 referring to pilot and Co-pilot and the 24 referring to the soldiers that the aircraft can fit and 12 referring to the number of soldiers including injured ones that fit inside the aircraft with the litters set up on the medical version.

The number 34 was a simple mistake the person who added it to Wikipedia made. I have not found any evidence that support the idea of 34 people ever being on the aircraft. Someone posted the maximum weight it can carry a while back but I think that number comes from before fuel weight and other factors come into play.

---------- Post added at 07:38 ---------- Previous post was at 07:37 ----------

Or you could, you know, only ask nicely that 24 people go in?

What is rude? I thought I worded it kindly?

Edited by ProGamer

What is rude? I thought I worded it kindly?

He's talking about in game.

just my $0.02 cents worth...just because the V-22 of 2013 can't lift 34 combat loaded infantry doesn't mean in 2035 (which is the year A3 is set) this won't be possible through:

- better engines

- stronger blades

- lighter/stronger alloy used for the fuselage

- other advancements in technology between 2013 and 2034 (say the year the V22 is built prior to deployment in A3 theatre).

Lets not limit ourselves to today's technology. This is how BIS wanted to go...so lets go with them. I'm not saying sharks with friggin laser beams but surely there's got to be SOME kind of technological advancement in weaponry, etc between now and then.

SO...lets make the V22 capable of lifting 34 or even 40 combat loaded infantry. Don't bring 'realism' into this for the sake of gameplay.

If this was the future they would be using the V-280. And BI hasn't just done that because of their date, all the stuff in game is actually pretty realistic in terms of capacity.

You don't make a vehicle completely new and better, it would be far more likely that it's used more often because the price tag has come down. Why should we not bring realism into this? Arma is a realistic game and Sakura_Chan has made the MV-22 realistic in all of the other ways he has worked on, so why stop at the soldier capacity?

Edited by ProGamer

Its okay no one is being rude...a minor issue was discussed...examples cited...a conclusion drawn...options offered. Time to move on

If this was the future they would be using the V-280. And BI hasn't just done that because of their date, all the stuff in game is actually pretty realistic in terms of capacity.

yeah I know..but my point is...BIS have decided on a 2035 setting which should still provide some 'creative licence' to modders, hence my point re the V22 - why not make it the V280 (although the wiki says "The V-280 will have a crew of 4 and be capable of transporting up to 11 troops") OR make an upgraded V-22, say a V-22B or C or something with longer fuselage, etc etc. I do hate this 'futuristic' aspect of A3 but what can you do? :)

Its okay no one is being rude...a minor issue was discussed...examples cited...a conclusion drawn...options offered. Time to move on
its an open project so if someone wants to make their own version with 24 seats you are welcome to do so.

So out of curiosity then, when you release this addon, it would be ok for me to modify it and then release a more realistic version as long as I credit you for the porting and upgrading of the two vehicles?

(Just want to clarify I am not interpreting this wrong)

Edited by ProGamer

Considering how much you've crapped up my thread about it, no. That would be a dick move 110%. In fact you can't even change it for your personal use. I'll write a script that detects the cargo capacity, and if it isn't 32 it will uninstall A3.

Considering how much you've crapped up my thread about it, no. That would be a dick move 110%. In fact you can't even change it for your personal use. I'll write a script that detects the cargo capacity, and if it isn't 32 it will uninstall A3.

Sorry, I didn't mean to insult you or anything. :( It was a discussion and one that is over. Your making how you want you want because your putting the time and effort into creating it, testing it, ect...

I was referring to making a version for the milsim community. I was never going to pass all your hard work off as my own. :( (I have bad people skills)

If it makes you feel any better, I with Zooloo's permission got the jumping script from his old life mission into a standalone version but still gave him all the credit for the original script. A few French communities use the script now along with a few others.

Edited by ProGamer

I'm sorry too...

heres some pancakes :)

pancakes.jpg

**edit

sausage too!

6976569660_cee4007ec5.jpg

I'm hungry and I hate my job :(

don't bring up the tactical nukes here, people.

As some people have already posted, the cargo capacity can be capped via scripting commands. So that means that in a mission you can control how many people you let in the plane. It is better to have an option and not use it than not being able to have it.

To resume, Sakura Chan. How many new goodies have you added to this bird?

- Animated FLIR turret

- PHYSx

- animated refuelling probe (possibly enabling air refuelling if someone makes an addon).

- PIP screens

- copilot

- animated doors

- new lighting features (position lights and reflectors, maybe new cockpit lighting)

- I supose you have added Countermeasures as it is very easy to add them

Any other feature? Because as it is it is already going to be a blast!!!

don't bring up the tactical nukes here, people.

As some people have already posted, the cargo capacity can be capped via scripting commands. So that means that in a mission you can control how many people you let in the plane. It is better to have an option and not use it than not being able to have it.

To resume, Sakura Chan. How many new goodies have you added to this bird?

- Animated FLIR turret

- PHYSx

- animated refuelling probe (possibly enabling air refuelling if someone makes an addon).

- PIP screens

- copilot

- animated doors

- new lighting features (position lights and reflectors, maybe new cockpit lighting)

- I supose you have added Countermeasures as it is very easy to add them

Any other feature? Because as it is it is already going to be a blast!!!

Walking around the inside while it's moving could be a possibility: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?170227-AttachToWithMovement-Walkable-Vehicle-Interriors-and-Exterirors :)

its gonna be a great addon, simple and error free, no weird script bugs to deal with. I like features, but I'm not packing it full of a bunch of unproven stuff.

Edited by Sakura_Chan

i cant wait for this, the MV-22 with fixes with Vertical mode will be amazing also is the headlight attached to the flir turret, because it looks like that in A2

I've a feeling that all this Osprey talk has the Hercules feeling slightly lonely.

probably has something to do with Marines finally getting a working VTOL in ArmA that can carry troops effeciently,

im sure the army fans are flipping silently

its gonna be a great addon, simple and error free, no weird script bugs to deal with. I like features, but I'm not packing it full of a bunch of unproven stuff.

That sounds great; just how i would spect an addon to be.

is it possible to drive stuff into say the C130 or Osprey? I know thats not currently available but I've seen a few WIP mods which are trying this. that would be awesome....being able to 'paradrop' a tank near an AO (similar to how they do it currently by dropping MBTs or other IFVs off the back of C130s just feet off the ground with parachutes).

hey sakura i just noticed something, if you are going to keep the walkable interior on the V-22 it may be best to set the seating as is, because if you have people in the walkways they will block walking around inside