spectrersg

TFA - Naval Special Warfare Gear

As to my knowledge, the Kerry backpack being added HiddenSelections is an old change that should already be in effect.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?149636-Development-Branch-Changelog&p=2757314&viewfull=1#post2757314

Question: Will we see chest rigs in camo or do you think the BIS ones are fine? I find they need just a little increase in capacity considering they offer no armour.

Also, I've noticed the Camelbaks (Hydration bladders) have the textures flipped 90 degrees. Is it possible to fix that by flipping the camelbak's texture 90 degrees or would that just get compressed and look horrid or is it just an engine limitation? It appears on vanilla MTP ones too.

Edited by Subscyed

You'll have to show me a screenshot of the camelback, there Subscyed. Not following.

You mean the actual chest rig that BI currently has? Not sure. Not even gonna attempt those to be honest.

And regarding the kerry assaultpack, this is the config for it:

class B_AssaultPack_Kerry: B_AssaultPack_mcamo
{
	author = "$STR_A3_Bohemia_Interactive";
	_generalMacro = "B_AssaultPack_Kerry";
	displayName = "$STR_A3_B_AssaultPack_Kerry0";
	picture = "\A3\Weapons_F\Ammoboxes\Bags\data\UI\icon_B_C_Compact_mcamo_ca.paa";
	model = "\A3\Characters_F_EPA\BLUFOR\backpack_kerry";
	maximumLoad = 160;
	mass = 20;
};

There's no hiddenselection for it. Now. What I'll try later next week is just running a hiddenSelectionsTextures[] = {""}; anyways. See what happens. But I'd need to be able to change the name and flag textures too or else they'll just look weird.

Note here:

http://i.imgur.com/ylg4vy2.jpg

The texture on the camelbak looks as if it's oriented vertically as opposed to horizontally.

Also, I noticed that the Green textures from the TFA pack are in fact the vanilla Green.

Would it be possible to your include your own green textures (so they match the green kitbag and the BDU better?).

Last but not least: If not the Kerry variant of the Assault Packs, maybe you can offer Assault packs in the same colours as the Kitbags but with a beefed up carrying capacity? (The BI assault bags don't really have much space left in them with a medkit inside)

EDIT: Nitpicking some more, I hope you don't mind.

http://i.imgur.com/w20gXnQ.jpg

Green Kitbag compared to the Foliage Helmet and the BDU Uniform

http://i.imgur.com/uBaEg2k.jpg

Vanilla Green Platecarrier (same texture as TFA's 4.10 Green one) compared to Foliage Helmet and BDU Uniform

http://i.imgur.com/kmC0Qz7.jpg

The vest and helmet are a slight shade darker than the uniform.

Edited by Subscyed

Sub, I'll try to address all that as best as I can next week. The Foliage green helmet will be lightened to match the uniform BDU better. For the sake of space and quality, I plan to leave the the green vest the same as it is currently. I just dont see any positive in reverting back to my green one. BI did a hell of a job and I was never happy with mine. As for the NWU2 camo, I'll do my best to lighten the vest and helmet to match the uniform. Thats very, very, hard to notice and I was hoping no one did notice, so my master plan failed. I'll try to outsmart yall next go around. Thanks for the feedback. ;)

PS - the kitbag camos, I dont plan to edit. They were always placeholders. Ideally, I want a custom backpack model. Eagle Industries or a 5.11 pack - but the key thing here is that I do not want it full. I want it semi-deflated and saggy, used and beat to all hell. All backpacks for the entire ArmA series are perfect. And always full. Bleh. I plan to experiment with Kerry's assault pack sometime next week too.

Janus, Sub, all the changes have been made. Except for the backpacks.

BI Dev, Locklear has confirmed that the Kerry packs will be editable next Dev branch push. I will get textures ready to go for when that gets pushed to Stable.

I will not push my gear update until the dev -> Stable push occurs, but rest assure I made the appropriate changes.

Edit:

Also, after discovering a new variant of the us plate carrier, I'll be sticking to that for the lite plate carriers versus the Raven vest. The lite plate carrier I'm referencing is the current one in the pack. That is going to stay. Raven vest will not make an appearance.

Edited by SpectreRSG

Excellent! Thank you for the news! I'm sure every modder that has taken a liking to the Kerry backpack will take great joy in knowing it'll be reskinnable.

I have a little question about the texture of the Camelbak (the one that was vertically aligned as opposed to horizontally):

How did you correct it? Did you simply flip the texture 90 degrees or was it actually an engine limitation?

The lite vest modelswap was a welcome change. A lot of people in the community got horribly confused before I explained to them that it wouldn't ruin their loadouts since it had the same classname.

After that, seeing them exclaim all sorts of profanity in a mixture of confusion and appreciation was pretty funny.

Ah, and about the devbranch vs stable: it's no worry. Stable is better simply because it's stable. Devbranch gets patches daily + hotfixes so it's not really wise to develop that far ahead (case in point of the personturret commands that enable FFV in vehicles being recently changed).

Edited by Subscyed

I rotated that specific part of the texture 90 degrees. It does actually look much better. Thank you for noticing.

I should also mention I've renamed both carriers Carrier and Carrier Light. I'm leaving the class names alone.

I've actually updated to dev out of boredom today. The change hasn't been made today but hopefully will tomorrow. I'll provide a screenshot when I get it working.

Okay! Thank you! :)

One thing to note is that it doesn't happen with ocp exclusively, it happens with all other uniforms (ACU being among the most noticeable after multicam/ocp).

Ah, one thing I've also noticed in this latest update is that the WTE carriers (I believe the heavy one) get all left alone in the bottom of the arsenal list (past the light ones, oddly enough).

I suspect it has to do with the inherited classname but can't quite figure out why.

Thank you for your support and patience (and putting up with my non-stop questions), Spectre!

EDIT: Kerry's backpack is editable/reskinnable/retexturable already: http://dev.arma3.com/post/spotrep-00034

Edited by Subscyed

Yeah unfortunately inheriting the backpack for kerry and adding the hiddenselections like everything else, didn't do anything. Still investigating.

...And yeah, all textures with a pattern have had the camelback rotated.

Edit:

Virtual Arsenal sorts it all through display name. I'm using that more than VAS now for convenience. I'm unsure what loadout system you're using but it could be using classname vs display name to sort.

Edited by SpectreRSG

Ah yes, I've had a look at them and it's the WTE and the DOU (heavy) carriers that have the display name "H Carrier".

Respectively, they show up "TFA H Carrier (WTE)" and "TFA H Carrier (DOU)".

I'm not wise, but I figure that's why arsenal's alphabetical sorting is shoving those two vests into the far end.

Thats all resolved in the version I havent pushed yet. Lite and H have disappeared completely (name wise); H's will now just be Carriers. Lites, now Light. So, TFA Carrier (DOU), TFA Carrier Light (DOU)

Ah alright, thank you for clearing that up. My itty bitty brain lags behind sometimes. :P

So apparently, even though it was listed in yesterday's changelog, the backpack selections were not included. But they're done. And here's a teaser.

Looks good even though I prefer the assault ruck (Kit Bag) than that one...

Were I just a bit (few decades) older, that kind of teasing (among others) would give me heart-attacks!

Thank you, Spectre, you brightened up mine and other people's day.

Inevitable questions:

- Will you be rolling back the Green kitbag's texture to the vanilla A3's or will you give the vest's another shot at a greener future?

- Will the sand uniform be more sandy than the current near-white colour it has in the sun? (As in, will it match the tan vest and helmet?)

- Will the tan backpack be tan rather than sandy?

- Can the MICH helmets be fiddled with to lose their gloss and have a more rugged shine to them?

- Will the kitbags be a bit more polished like so? http://th08.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/i/2014/269/1/a/ranger_fastpack_multicam_re_textures_by_dissizithawaii-d80jzu7.jpg

I'm terribly sorry for the questions. Do not take them as requests but as they are: questions spawned from curiosity.

I hope they're not too taxing, and thank you for your undying patience, Spectre. You're a saint! :p

Edited by Subscyed

I plan to rework the kitbags entirely. I'll be doing it next week. Sand Uniforms, I'll take a look at and evaluate if it needs changes. MICH helmets I'll look into, but I dont think I'll even know how/remember how to alter any shine.

Before I forget:

TheMisterCat is looking for someone that can do textures, and you're looking for someone that can do models.

Think you can help eachother out, Spectre?

It all depends on the quality of the UV mapping. I havent UV mapped in a long time, lost many skills and know-hows. Plus I dont know if I can work on a timetable.

Seconded, I stick with TFA uniforms more than any other as well, great variety and quality.

It all depends on the quality of the UV mapping. I havent UV mapped in a long time, lost many skills and know-hows. Plus I dont know if I can work on a timetable.

Well, you're both adults, I'm sure you can find a way to make it work (or find someone else).

Plus, look on the bright side, jolly cooperation!

You get what you needed and he gets what he needed.

So just to keep everyone informed. I've completely redid vests and backpacks. They look great, even to me. There's a bunch of other changes and additions but the only thing I'm waiting for at this point is BI to release the next Stable patch.