Sign in to follow this  
dontknowhow

Games for Linux

It seems that Steam is doing wonders. The fact that some of Valve's major titles are on Linux is quite important, but seeing that some other important games are getting a Linux version is really cool. And more are coming.

Many get a version for Linux after a few months, like Wargame Airland Battle, but I wouldn't say it's a problem. When games like Wargame Airland Battle, Europa Universalis 4, probably X Rebirth, roll out a Linux version in such a short time, it's just awesome. I just saw that there is a version of Metro: Last Light, made 6 months after the Windows version. Not bad. The presence of a Linux version was actually a major reason for me to buy Wargame and Europa Universalis

And with all the indies coming things are only getting better.

Any suggestion for other games? I heard Prison Architect is nice

It seems that Steam is doing wonders. The fact that some of Valve's major titles are on Linux is quite important, but seeing that some other important games are getting a Linux version is really cool. And more are coming.

Many get a version for Linux after a few months, like Wargame Airland Battle, but I wouldn't say it's a problem. When games like Wargame Airland Battle, Europa Universalis 4, probably X Rebirth, roll out a Linux version in such a short time, it's just awesome. I just saw that there is a version of Metro: Last Light, made 6 months after the Windows version. Not bad. The presence of a Linux version was actually a major reason for me to buy Wargame and Europa Universalis

And with all the indies coming things are only getting better.

Any suggestion for other games? I heard Prison Architect is nice

Yeah, there have been some real nice additions recently. Looking forward for some more AAA games to appear on Steam soon, especially with the release of the Steambox being imminent.

Football Manager 2014 is now on Linux, too ... if you are into that kind of games ( and/or football)

These are all MP-only games:

Xonotic: Fast FPS shooter with great community. Check also

movie. There's even Vehicle CTF.

Spring RTS: Best RTS I've ever played with a lot of mods from WW2 to future-pew-pew. I recommend NOTA mod.

Hedgewars: Worms clone.

Smokin' Guns: Western shooter with Counter-Strike like mechanics. Unfortunately, last time I tried it was dead (EU servers).

QuakeLive was and still runs natively on Linux. However, Zenimax announced they'll go standalone and drop Liunx/Mac support with this funny message:

If you’re using Mac and Linux and have a paid subscription, you will only be able to access the game using emulation or virtualization software.

Trine 2

A game with the most wonderful artistic styles I've seen in a while. A side scrolling platform game with a heavy emphasis on solving puzzles. Safe to play for all ages. Buying it on Steam unlocks DRM-free versions for Linux, Mac and Windows. I've only played it on Linux so I can't judge if it runs well on other platforms.

I played a few open source games, but somehow I find them lacking personality a bit. Diaspora is not bad though:

http://diaspora.hard-light.net/

I would have liked a game like Vegastrike to be more popular, but that didn't happen. The game is basically dead.

0ad seems indeed to be a bit different, but it's still incomplete, and it's making progress sooo slowly.

I don't think there are open source games that can match wargame airland battle, or even a game as old as team fortress 2.

I did see football manager leading Linux sales, and looking at it it doesn't look bad, but I'm concerned by the reports of bugs I see. Maybe I should wait until they patch it a bit.

I have to say I'm intrigued by prison architect and kerbal space program. They are still early access, but they seem to be quite playable. And I think someone told me about Trine. It was on the humble bundle a couple of months ago, I believe.

I played a few open source games, but somehow I find them lacking personality a bit. Diaspora is not bad though:

http://diaspora.hard-light.net/

I would have liked a game like Vegastrike to be more popular, but that didn't happen. The game is basically dead.

0ad seems indeed to be a bit different, but it's still incomplete, and it's making progress sooo slowly.

I don't think there are open source games that can match wargame airland battle, or even a game as old as team fortress 2.

I did see football manager leading Linux sales, and looking at it it doesn't look bad, but I'm concerned by the reports of bugs I see. Maybe I should wait until they patch it a bit.

I have to say I'm intrigued by prison architect and kerbal space program. They are still early access, but they seem to be quite playable. And I think someone told me about Trine. It was on the humble bundle a couple of months ago, I believe.

Prison Architect looks ineed very interesting and ambitious, from what I have seen and heard about it so far. But it also seems to progress rather slowly (only 2 developers as far as I know) and is pretty expensive for an early access game of that kind...I might look into it when it reaches beta stage.

This and this:

Hedgewars: Worms clone.

Smokin' Guns: Western shooter with Counter-Strike like mechanics. Unfortunately, last time I tried it was dead (EU servers).

Simple but very addictive!

Smokin' Guns (rather Quake mod than CS) should be noted for it's realism when it comes to guns and way they... reload! There's no magic button for automatic reloading, and when your Peacemaker runs out of ammo, you got to press reload for every single cartridge. Or you can get Remington with it's cylinder you can change Clint Eastwood-style. Only things it lacks are open-spaced maps and horses. And Indians!

By the way, regarding Prison Architect:

I found it to be much cheaper ($19,99) in the Humble Store than on Steam (25,99€)...if you are still thinking about getting it.

By the way, regarding Prison Architect:

I found it to be much cheaper ($19,99) in the Humble Store than on Steam (25,99€)...if you are still thinking about getting it.

Interesting. I didn't know that the humble bundle had a store. It seems to be a new thing. Thanks for that. And I didn't know that natural selection 2 had a version for linux.

Apparently prison architect is even in alpha. I might go for kerbal. The thing is that I don't have a good experience with these early version games.

Smokin' Guns (rather Quake mod than CS) should be noted for it's realism when it comes to guns and way they... reload! There's no magic button for automatic reloading, and when your Peacemaker runs out of ammo, you got to press reload for every single cartridge. Or you can get Remington with it's cylinder you can change Clint Eastwood-style. Only things it lacks are open-spaced maps and horses. And Indians!

I don't think I have ever played this game, so I tried for a while. It is indeed almost deserted, but I could find something. But honestly I can't figure how people could prefer this to team fortress 2 or counter strike (for what I have seen of counter strike)

Team Fortress 2 works on Linux

I know, that's why I said it. I'm not a big fan of team fortress 2, but I prefer it to all the open source shooters I have seen. I appreciate the open source model, but games are solid evidence that it doesn't always work. Hence my appreciation for steam

I know, that's why I said it. I'm not a big fan of team fortress 2, but I prefer it to all the open source shooters I have seen. I appreciate the open source model, but games are solid evidence that it doesn't always work. Hence my appreciation for steam

And let's not forget Unreal Tournament 2004 here. Still one of the best shooters that ever made it to Linux.

Does anyone still play Enemy Territory Quake Wars? ;)

I remember that having a native Linux version that worked very well.

And let's not forget Unreal Tournament 2004 here. Still one of the best shooters that ever made it to Linux.

True. Great game, mostly because of the onslaught mode, adding a bit more of tactics to a normal shooter. I wonder why it's not done more often. Too bad people like to play with run 'n' gun maps

But it's not being played a lot. I would say it's understandable, after 10 years

Does anyone still play Enemy Territory Quake Wars? ;)

I remember that having a native Linux version that worked very well.

Oh yeah, forgot that one. Yes, it did work well. I personally only had to fix a small problem with the audio. Somehow I didn't really like the game though. I would still take ut2004

well, steam has kerbal space program 40% off this weekend, so I decided to give it a try. Not a bad game, but some documentation would be nice. Obviously the fact that it's still in development might have something to do with that. I knew I had to wait

Now I'm checking the wiki to see if I can get some information.

Just wanted to update this thread to say that CS:GO is available for Linux. I'm downloading it now

I have confirmation from Korneel vand 't Land that they are working on a Linux port of Arma 3 via third-party contractor.