Sign in to follow this  
nikiforos

FPS worse after latest stable update - BIS seriously why_

@ Drakenof : seeing you start your demo using "insane" Ultra+12 000m video settings makes my day.

What makes my day is people thiking it's actually " my " video.

@ Mobile_Medic : I enjoy playing a 50 vs 50 SP mission on Pyrgos where with my FIA group along with others IA driven FIA groups are fighting AAF infantry + Striders trying to reclaim the town.

In fact I am using the mission as test ground, trying various options in order to get the highest FPS rate in missions. As it is now, with tweaked view distance and terrain grid I can play it at 40 FPS at start and I am working to manage reinforcements and dead IA. The idea being to find ways to make this mission playable on both the high end PC I am currently using "i7 3770/GTX670-OC" and the low end one "Athlon II x2 250/HD 7770". As I am making missions for my game team, and some of my mates are having not so good rigs.

Of course, Arma 3 is far from being perfect but from my point of view it is playable and enjoyable as it is on SP and MP with a PC matching the Recommended specs. I am sorry to say that it's not always the case with a PC nearing the Minimum specs border. I have already said I had written a review about that. I think that BIS must make the things more clear on this point.

I just spent 3 hours playing Arma3 with my Team on a difficult coop mission on Altis doing my job as Medic. I have played at a rather stable 35 FPS with some drops to 25 during a ZSU explosion nearby. I have enjoy the game all along, so you can tag me as "hardcore devotees", of course I am an OFP/Arma/Arma2 veteran and as Islands/Terrains maker a man from Armaversum but my team mates who are not so involved have also enjoy playing it !

Playing Arma* game is playing a different kind of game, with freedom but also with special hardware needs and specs as RIE said about TKOH "our engine is CPU and HDD hungry" and I will add Arma3 is GPU/RAM hungry as well. So playing Arma* game start with striking a balance between visual quality and playability, between freedom and restrictions, between desire and reality and of course it's frustrating.

@OldBear. I am sincerely happy that the game seems to run well for you, overall. I wish I could say the same. I am fully aware of the kind of game that Arma is. But, for me, it is not a question of sacrificing visual quality in exchange for play-ability. I exceed the recommended specs quite handily, as mentioned already. Playing the game at cell phone quality, or fully maxed out makes little difference when this issue is occurring. I can get my share of non-playable (sub-30fps) gameplay in some of Bohemia's own showcase missions, and the like. So, no need to go into MP, or play custom user missions for that, which only open my reports up to claims of "bad mission scripting", etc, etc... And, is precisely why I avoid certain situations to remove as many variables as possible.

Arma is single core *ghz* hungry, sure... But, that is only b/c it refuses to eat from the full plate that is a modern processor. To say that Arma is CPU hungry, often carries with it the implication that it requires more than our cpu can give it. I do not believe this to be the case, and it is easy to demonstrate. To say that it is cpu hungry only makes me want to ask, "then why is it programmed to use so little of it?" And, no, a dual-core at 7ghz is not a valid solution to this problem, imo. If Arma is CPU hungry, then why is it eating through a straw? :)

Again, there is an assumption inherent in your post that I have unreasonable expectations, or am unwilling to sacrifice max settings or something in order to eek out a playable experience. This is not the case at all. The problem has been in trying to get a consistently playable experience *at all* (for me, since A2). cell phone resolution or maxed out to the brim makes little difference. An empty city is enough to reproduce the symptoms of this issue on a smaller scale (even with a 500m view distance). Going beyond that only makes it worse, and settings adjustments do little to alleviate it. Been there. done that. over and over.

peace.

Great.

Now just looking at fire from close/medium proximity crashes my computer.

Can't even walk up to the WY-55 Hellcat helicopter, without the MROT snapping in hal.

BIS, please stop creating bugs.

Great.

Now just looking at fire from close/medium proximity crashes my computer.

Can't even walk up to the WY-55 Hellcat helicopter, without the MROT snapping in hal.

BIS, please stop creating bugs.

That sounds more like hardware failure than a bug in the game..

That sounds more like hardware failure than a bug in the game..

gleaming example of how the arma community blames hardware for things it's not even possible for hardware to be involved with.