Sign in to follow this  
GeorgeOrwell

Weapons feel far weaker now?

Has anyone else noticed that the weapons in ARMA 3 in absolutely pathetic compared to ARMA 2? In A2, the various guns felt incredibly responsive, had a nice sharp sound, and the impact could easily be seen and felt. Now, absolutely nothing. No responsiveness in shooting at all.

I think the sounds are actually much better than vanilla ArmA 2, but the recoil definitely feels toned down considerably.

I don't suppose there's some magic sound setting to have weapons sound better? They seem to be almost unbearably bad for me. I rarely even notice when I shoot a weapon.

It seems like there is something off on your end. Have you checked your audio settings? Criticizing the sounds is one thing but stating you don't notice when you shoot suggests there might be a problem somewhere.

The quality of the gunsounds has been improved greatly and the particle effects for impacts are much more realistic and visible from a greater distance than they were in Arma 2.

It seems like there is something off on your end. Have you checked your audio settings? Criticizing the sounds is one thing but stating you don't notice when you shoot suggests there might be a problem somewhere.

The quality of the gunsounds has been improved greatly and the particle effects for impacts are much more realistic and visible from a greater distance than they were in Arma 2.

I disagree, While the sounds are better in A3 the feeling of shooting in A2 is far superior which for me is what set the shooting apart from more arcade games where the shooting doesn't have feeling, Also the sounds in A3 feel a bit drawn out but in A2 its extremely snappy and by the time you've shot the sounds already over where as in A3 it drags it on for a bit after you shoot, No idea if that makes sense but its just an opinion.

I also think the small arms sounds in 'vanilla' Arma 3 are much better than in 'vanilla' Arma 2 and although the recoil of Arma 3's small arms does seem toned down a bit they would appear to be closer to what you actually see and feel in real life for the most part: don't forget, these are fit professional soldiers that are being simulated here - which means they'll have spend many many hours training on the range, getting used to the recoil both in terms of muscle memory and recoil recovery response times.

Particles make the bullets impacts better in very high. My humble opinion is, should have an option Only for the impacts and other for the other particles (because bullet impacts is very important) about the sound... I don't know about the snappy, but I like the arma 2 better...

I think in arma 2, the sounds are more loud.

Just a short thing regarding particles.

Did they change the bullet impact holes on the ground? It's looking way better know. But on all other surfaces it's still just the black dots. That's another thing the devs really need to do something about. Those black dots are awful. I don't expect real 3D impact holes, god no. Just better and more real looking than just those black dots. Plus they get of course bigger with bigger caliber and it's killing the feeling even more ..

Another thing: Please let them stay a longer, should have negligible impact on performance.

I don't suppose there's some magic sound setting to have weapons sound better? They seem to be almost unbearably bad for me. I rarely even notice when I shoot a weapon.

You don't have some kind of dynamic sound damping set in your sound drivers do you?

Another poster had this issue.

Also check the number of sound sources you have in the sound options menu. I couldn't hear quite a few nearby explsions and the like a few weeks ago, raised that from 32 to 120 (I think) and now everything is fine.

arma 2 is based around 2009-2011, and has firearms from that time. Arma 3 is based in fiction 2035, and recoil is obviosly one of most disturbing things at shooting a weapon, which could be grately reduced in 2035. Nothing much wrong for me, and i completly dissagree about weaker sound then in arma 2, the sound in arma 3, is obviosly one of grately improved game aspects, over arma 2.

Exactly. My first thought when shooting in Arma 3 was "the sounds feel so weak", then I put up my headphones and cranked up the volume. The gun sounds started to feel so powerful I was kinda scared to pull the trigger, without mentioning that also the ambient sounds were more natural and pronounced.

A3 weapon sounds aren't perfect, but Arma 2 vanilla sounds were abysmal and anyone who thinks they are better than A3 sounds needs their ears checked, subjectivity be damned.

Actually, I've felt that there's something I can't put my finger on about the "feel" of shooting.

I agree that weapons sound much better now. I don't think that's the issue. I'm tempted to think it's something subtle like AV cues to registered hits. I'm not talking about "artificial" feedback like a BF-style X, but in II it was at least obvious when connecting shots from a combination of animations (audio impact sound if close enough) and visual (blood puff). It was far from perfect (!) but it had a feel to it that I've also been missing a bit from III. Maybe I'll get accustomed to it ...or I'm just missing all the time :P

You know, when you use arma 2 too much you get used with the sound... I don't know if I really like arma 2 more, maybe because in arma 2 we have more guns and more sounds (and when you are far away you can tell the type of weapon that are shoting at you)

Exactly. My first thought when shooting in Arma 3 was "the sounds feel so weak", then I put up my headphones and cranked up the volume. The gun sounds started to feel so powerful I was kinda scared to pull the trigger, without mentioning that also the ambient sounds were more natural and pronounced.

Then you install JSRS and think you have been playing with BB guns before. Huge change that isn't just the sounds but the feeling of weapons and more.

Then you install JSRS and think you have been playing with BB guns before. Huge change that isn't just the sounds but the feeling of weapons and more.

Does JSRS actually change the recoil? or is it just the sound is so powerful it feels different?

I really find the opfor assault rifle in particular sounds weak, however I don't play with volume cranked. The sounds are pretty slow and long rather than short and sharp.

And distance sounds are pitiful. When I get time I will be installing JSRS just for that reason.

Does JSRS actually change the recoil? or is it just the sound is so powerful it feels different?

I really find the opfor assault rifle in particular sounds weak, however I don't play with volume cranked. The sounds are pretty slow and long rather than short and sharp.

And distance sounds are pitiful. When I get time I will be installing JSRS just for that reason.

Yep, distance sounds are nowhere near close to reality. Also, there are no low frequency sounds when you get distant from the source of the sound. I'm too gonna install JSRS when the full version is finished.

Just the sound but it's enough to make you react slighty different.

Install it ASAP and see hear it by yourself, it's a one way trip from the vanilla sounds.