Sign in to follow this  
GoodKnight

Mod available via workshop (ACE/ ACRE)

Hey there so will some of the real awesome mods be available via the workshop?

Mods like Ace Acre the sound mods etc etc.

Thanks!

The Steam Workshop is a great way to deliver content. However, I certainly understand why people take issue with it and refuse to utilize it.

I don't understand why. I would think It'd make everything easier

If the steam workshop would automatically download addons when you connect to a server, that would be great. Maybe (public) servers will use addons more often then.

I don't understand why. I would think It'd make everything easier

But not with the current EULA.

But not with the current EULA.

What ever you upload to the Steam Workshop is automatically in Valve's ownership! And I friggin' dont want that company having my stuff that I have worked my ass off for over years and they'll get a chance to make money with that? Hell no!

And besides, I dont know why people get lazier every year, this "one button and I get my candy" stuff isn't working out for me. Seriously, we handled our selves till OFP times and we are still here, even without Steam^^

Just saying, I wont take a step near that thing.

Thank you,

LJ

What ever you upload to the Steam Workshop is automatically in Valve's ownership! And I friggin' dont want that company having my stuff that I have worked my ass off for over years and they'll get a chance to make money with that? Hell no!

And besides, I dont know why people get lazier every year, this "one button and I get my candy" stuff isn't working out for me. Seriously, we handled our selves till OFP times and we are still here, even without Steam^^

Thank you,

LJ

Well said sir, well said!

i don't know of a single case where Valve used a mod from the workshop for its own profit or game.. lol its way over exaggerated but id like to be proven wrong

I have no idea if there ever was such a case. That's not the point, though. Some modders/add-on makers want to keep their rights over what they've made. That seems pretty easy to understand, and far from "way overexaggerated".

And I'll join LJ on that point: Where the hell is the difficulty in managing a few folders? Hell, if you can't do that, there's still Sickboy's stuff that does it for you.

i don't know of a single case where Valve used a mod from the workshop for its own profit or game.. lol its way over exaggerated but id like to be proven wrong

It doesn't matter if they have done that already.

Point is, that this sentences basically allows them to use uploaded content.

If they do, or don't, isn't the point here.

It's simply this statement.

Thank you,

LJ

Well if I have the option to:

a) Start the game and play

or

b) Start the game, try join a server, cannot join server need update of mod, find mod page, download mod, install mod, start game.

"We did this back in the days lets keep doing it!" - Just because we did it one way before doesn't mean its a good way :)

Btw, in the sub agreement it states:

You grant Valve and its affiliates the non-exclusive, irrevocable right to use, reproduce, modify, create derivative works from, distribute, transmit, broadcast, and otherwise communicate, and publicly display and publicly perform, your User Generated Content, and derivative works of your User Generated Content, in connection with the operation and promotion of the Steam site. If you use Valve cloud storage, you grant us a license to store your information as part of that service. We may place limits on the amount of storage you may use.

Doesn't this mean they can only use it for showing of a game with promos and stuff in steam? Its not like they are going to sell your mod and earn money on it, I have never heard of this happening.

Edit: I honestly don't think Valve is going to hijack a mod to earn a few hundred dollars, even a few thousands extra. It's no money for them, they are probably more intressted in keeping their image good.

Edited by brickhead

The thing is, if a modder makes say a tank model for Arma and and uploads it to Steam and than he decides to make and sell his own game about that tank and use the same 3d model that may cause legal precedence.

In any way, the whole license thing is bullshit and I think there should be laws to protect the authors work regardless of such licensing scams (yes scams, because the authors of all those EULAs exploit the fact that most people don't read them and are not aware of the fact they are giving rights to their property to someone who had nothing to do with creating it). I mean come on! All this talk about intellectual property and someone's hard work can become the property of someone else just because he uploaded it somewhere?

When I was writing my master's thesis, we were warned constantly not to talk about it and make sure all the concepts and ideas are elusively our own. Someone could come to you house, drink your alcohol and talk about his ideas on a given subject and then when you put that into your thesis, even not intentionally it would still be regarded as plagiarism, if someone could prove you did not come up with it completely on you own. It didn't really matter if it was your house, your vodka and a private conversation - you still had to put a footnote there.

It is the choice of every addon author where he wants to host his content. If he feels that Valve is not a reliable partner then so be it.

As for Valve, they don't seem to mind when people grab models from other games and use them in Source Filmmaker or Garry's Mod seeing as there are steam discussions with info of grabbing models from other games or advertizing other websites that host them.

There are many screenshots and movies with grabbed models and they seem to allow grabbed models to be hosted in the workshop.

This 3d model of a Saint Row character from the Garry's Mod Workshop seems like a grabbed model.

I was under the impression that it wasn't ok to use 3d models from other games in your 3d engine.

Seeing this, why would anyone feel safe about his content being there?

Is the legendary late to respond steam support going to be much help?

Hi all, I dont speak like FFAA MOD TEAM, this is my personal opinion about this like user and like addon maker. My english is poor but i want write my opinion. I completely agree with what LJ say. With that EULA i dont want see nothing mine in workshop, this is not the way. Why they want automatically have permissions to modify my or our work? It is not enough that some people work hard for free for months to have the content and above wants rights? I can work freely for the comunity but not for one company... and because they want and they say... and to do what they want...

There are other ways to maintain mods updated. And yes it is easyer for user play with workshop, im user too, but it is easyer too for modders dont do nothing, wait BIS content or do only pay content and shell it in turbosquid or similar pages... so if Valve want have good tool dont need rights...

All opinions are welcome for me and are respectable, this is only my opinion, I think we need to take care of the people that work for free to helps make this simulator largest and Valves way in this point i think isnt the correct.

Best regards!

the cut they get on TF2 hats is the most basic example?

besides, all this talk in a bit premature.

At this very moment a3 workshop does NOT support mods, and there will be a while (at least that is my opinion) before it does. SO when, if and based on the way it does, some or none of the addon makers will choose steam workshop to use it. In the form of the current EULA, most won't i guess, but there is little information about the way BI wants to handle steam for mods, and to what degree the user could use or not some form of autodownload manager, especially in relation to the mp servers.

---------- Post added at 15:10 ---------- Previous post was at 15:08 ----------

wrong, that's a system designed with profit in mind. They choose to have it commercially right from the get go. Besides, TF2 is a valve's product, not a 3rd party one. So it doesn't apply here

They don't steal the hats in TF2, the authors get money for putting the hats up. The workshop is like a store in this regard, valve sell the hats and give the author a royaltie

Having worked in an industry that largely avoids the involvement of lawyers or courtrooms (unless absolutely needed), however is HEAVILY governed by contract law... and millions, and in some cases billions of dollars are at stake... EULA's are a "deadman's switch" so to speak...

They are written by lawyers in order to protect the company that lawyer works for, ABOVE ALL ELSE.

The Steam Workshop EULA is more about YOU not suing THEM for selling your assets after you say it's ok. Not about them taking them, and selling them w/o your permission.

The problem for Steam is that if they do not "own" the material, they can not sell, or redistribute it.

Steam, will not, has not, and never will, STEAL anything from anyone and sell it as their own or not compensate the original author....

Seeing as how the company has been around for over a decade, and there has NEVER been a case of theft, I don't really even get what this Tsunami of drama is about over it.

I used to read and interpret contracts and determine liability "hidden" in them... so I will take a look at the EULA, but again, these things are written to be IRON clad in the case of someone suing THEM... so obviously by signing it you are basically handing them your first born as it were...

Thing is, as bad as that sounds, I sign releases for my ACTUAL children's school that says they're allowed to lose, kill, or maim my child during that trip... but I'm pretty sure that's not actually their intent.. and I sign them, and send my kids off onto wonderful field trips that they have fun on, and learn...

Can't always protect "your baby" from everything, part of being a good parent and adult is figuring out which battles are worth fighting....

IMO fighting BI's choice to facilitate addon author's profiting from their works and more easily and widely distributing their products is just reactionary at best.

Seems to me like a lot of this uproar is based on irrational fear of Steam (a major and profitable company that distributes 100's of thousands of top quality games and as far as I know does not have a history or reputation of stealing assets or encouraging piracy), wants to take your addons and sell them without your consent or paying you?

Unless I'm misunderstanding the fear or counter argument... I'm stumped as to how/why anyone would think that's "the plan"?

Having worked in an industry that largely avoids the involvement of lawyers or courtrooms (unless absolutely needed), however is HEAVILY governed by contract law... and millions, and in some cases billions of dollars are at stake... EULA's are a "deadman's switch" so to speak...

They are written by lawyers in order to protect the company that lawyer works for, ABOVE ALL ELSE.

The Steam Workshop EULA is more about YOU not suing THEM for selling your assets after you say it's ok. Not about them taking them, and selling them w/o your permission.

The problem for Steam is that if they do not "own" the material, they can not sell, or redistribute it.

Steam, will not, has not, and never will, STEAL anything from anyone and sell it as their own or not compensate the original author....

Seeing as how the company has been around for over a decade, and there has NEVER been a case of theft, I don't really even get what this Tsunami of drama is about over it.

I used to read and interpret contracts and determine liability "hidden" in them... so I will take a look at the EULA, but again, these things are written to be IRON clad in the case of someone suing THEM... so obviously by signing it you are basically handing them your first born as it were...

Thing is, as bad as that sounds, I sign releases for my ACTUAL children's school that says they're allowed to lose, kill, or maim my child during that trip... but I'm pretty sure that's not actually their intent.. and I sign them, and send my kids off onto wonderful field trips that they have fun on, and learn...

Can't always protect "your baby" from everything, part of being a good parent and adult is figuring out which battles are worth fighting....

IMO fighting BI's choice to facilitate addon author's profiting from their works and more easily and widely distributing their products is just reactionary at best.

Seems to me like a lot of this uproar is based on irrational fear of Steam (a major and profitable company that distributes 100's of thousands of top quality games and as far as I know does not have a history or reputation of stealing assets or encouraging piracy), wants to take your addons and sell them without your consent or paying you?

Unless I'm misunderstanding the fear or counter argument... I'm stumped as to how/why anyone would think that's "the plan"?

Very well, indeed sir. I to believe in these words. I Don´t care if the mod is released in Steam or Both methods, i just want them released! ACRE, JSRS, Blastcore are confirmed working in progress, but what worrys me a lot is not this, it´s the possibility of ACE not be released at all...