Sign in to follow this  
RushHour

Brakes on the Pickup, terrible

The brakes are the most powerful thing you have on a car in terms of performance so i´m just wondering why they are crap?

Also, from my experience running a lot of life mods lately and driving the Pickup it does seem the handbrake is a better tool for slowing down then the actual brakes. That should only lock the rears if it´s a new and tight one.

Is there a ticket up for this or should i make one?

Same with ATV. Brakes made of paper.

Edited by RushHour

When you can smash a car into a tank at 270 Km/h , get out , patch yourself up, repair the vehicle (engineer) , get back in and leave what would you expect ? (realism as always) :D , anyway i support your opinion but its not only the brakes :)

True but i guess it´s up to us to keep on pushing on these things,

Made a ticket, please vote guys, in the name of realism!

Agree brakes could use some love. Also I'd like to see/feel the drivers head lurch forward when braking hard and especially for crashes.

Agree brakes could use some love. Also I'd like to see/feel the drivers head lurch forward when braking hard and especially for crashes.

That would be good and definitely be possible as you see it in jets when you slow down.

The brakes are the most powerful thing you have on a car in terms of performance so i´m just wondering why they are crap?

Also, from my experience running a lot of life mods lately and driving the Pickup it does seem the handbrake is a better tool for slowing down then the actual brakes. That should only lock the rears if it´s a new and tight one.

Is there a ticket up for this or should i make one?

Same with ATV. Brakes made of paper.

Wat. It has a braking distance of one car length at 60 kph. If anything, the brakes are too effective

Not to mention harsh breaking doesn't cause skidding, fun fact...IRL brakes aren't something you want to use at high speeds as it requires several cars worth your vehicle length to stop.

Wat. It has a braking distance of one car length at 60 kph. If anything, the brakes are too effective

You have to be kidding me.

Go take your real car and stomp on it. See what happens.

Take the pickup, try it at around 30km/h even. It should stop on a dime but it doesn´t. It´s an extremely slow process to stop the car compared to real life.

Not to mention harsh breaking doesn't cause skidding, fun fact...IRL brakes aren't something you want to use at high speeds as it requires several cars worth your vehicle length to stop.

Actually you do want to use them. If you don´t use them it´s several orders of magnitude more car lengths to stop.

You probably don´t want to stomp on the pedal at 200 but you should definitely use the brakes to stop the car. This is common sense.

Here´s a 40 ton fully loaded truck going at what i would estimate is over 50km/h on a wet surface. Edit: looking at onboard that´s 60km/h. And it doesn´t use 100% braking force at first, only the last bit of the braking phase.

Now imagine something with much less mass.

Edited by RushHour

Just a reminder about the physics...

The kinetic energy of vehicle does not increase linearily with speed – it increases exponentially instead:

Ek = ½mv2

"The kinetic energy is equal to the mass multiplied by the square of the speed (Ek = ½mv2), multiplied by the constant 1/2."

In practice, it means that when the speed is doubled, the stopping distance is quadrupled. For example, if the speed is three times higher, the stopping distance is nine (!) times higher.

Oq6tEsg.jpg

yeah I meant to say slamming on the brakes which is more or less what we have in most games.

ah yea, understood. But we can´t even use that, it´s like we are sailing to a stop right now. Even at speeds of 15-20km/h it takes years to stop the ATV or pickup or whatever you have.

You can for example stop, back and turn then get on the gas and you´ll see just how crap they are.

Just a reminder about the physics...

Appreciative no doubt and already known to most (i sure hope)

yeah I meant to say slamming on the brakes which is more or less what we have in most games.

On the other hand, I guess that it's safe to claim that every vehicle in the game should have ABS brakes because of the year 2035. I agree with the handbrake though, it's kind of silly that it's more effective in stopping the car than the actual brakes.

And if ATV have none we should be able to tip it over due to it´s short wheelbase and quite high CoG.

But with 2035 in mind, it´s perfectly possible for it to have ABS that make sure the rear end does not come up. Bit like most modern motorcycles today with their advanced ABS systems.

Also if it rains, braking distances should be considerably longer.

Modern cars need about 40m from 100 - 0 km/h. (62 - 0 mph)

The pickup and other vehicles do have way too weak brakes.

Ok I think I found out what is going wrong and why people come to different braking distances.

Offroad:

100 - 0 km/h using only "backward" -> 60 m

100 - 0 km/h using "backward" + handbrake -> ~ 40 m

Same issue with the Hatchback. Only vehicles tested so far. The just "backward" brakes with the Hatchback are alright, together with handbrake the braking distance is even a bit short.

It seems that using only backward is not activating the rear brakes or at least not as effective as the handbrake. That's a bug and the cause of it all. And of course it's not realistic, as the rear brakes are at their maximum performance when stomping the pedal (maybe limited by the ABS).

Posted the same in the issue tracker, too.

Ah and btw. the Offroad needs about 18 seconds from 0 - 100 km/h which is pretty bad for a 2035 V6 engine ;P

Don´t worry, this won´t get fixed anyways, people just downvote without really grasping the issue.