Sign in to follow this  
theOPO

Poorly Optimized in Official Release?

Same problem here, Im thinking of shelfing the game for a few months.

Well until it matures enough for BI to sort it out and for the mods to appear.

hdd not ssd, should i get one? will it fix this problem?

It won't fix your low fps in multiplayer issue.

It will improve texture pop-in while playing.

Simple solution: Cap frame rate at 30 with Msi afterburner. Get used to it and it will be steady and smooth.

i couldn't find fps limiter in afterburner

Nvidia inspector also does frame limiting.

I play locked and smooth single player at 30 fps. Gtx 580 3 gig, Ssd, win8 on Ssd, 16 gigs of ram.

The game is awesome at a locked frame rate. Playing the current jumpy 60 to 30 is a total face palm.

Just lock it, get you settings so your pretty much always locked at 30 and enjoy the game.

No one plays locked at 60 from what I read on here so half the frame rate, get used to it and don't look back.

Msi afterburner has a profiler for games where using the mechanic wrench button you can set your desired frame rate.

Tutorial:

https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=lcking%20frame%20rate%20msi%20adterburner%20tutorial&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCsQtwIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D1CvoHXzaHKY&ei=n6I1UrLyIYae7AanhIBY&usg=AFQjCNFH2_TuDpPwfXX3tNo_t0LEadmuSA&sig2=PcF0E6Ka5dVZUF7E5wzBhg&bvm=bv.52164340,d.ZGU

Edited by Dav

unfortunate fact :(

and how many years has BIS known about this? this was a business decision plane and simple...they chose to flog the whore a little more :(

Yes I'm starting to get the same feeling :| there's no way they didn't know about this issue it's been reported so many times. Like u knew that you were already pushing the limits of the engine with arma 2 or could I say were bit over already and what do u decide to do, add more stuff on top of it without making core changes on the engine (I hope I'm wrong here, and there are some major stuff on the way). Don't get me wrong I do love what bis and what they are doing but it sucks to see those classics problems persisting title after title, and why push the release out if u ain't ready for it u get only bad reputation with moves like that :|

I feel sorry, for everyone who has trouble with performance here. But for the billion times, always measure your performance in sigleplayer! There are like 90% poor optimized servers with very raw and unoptimized mission scripts! Ofcourse if you place like 100 vs 100 tank battle, don't expect to have 60 fps on ultra even on normal.

Yes, the engine is still CPU limited, but it is a LOT more optimized, compared to arma 2 for example. How many of you, can run arma 2 all maxed out? I can't but magicaly i do it in arma 3. Don't also forget, ama 3 has much more advanced features, like physix, which alone can kill all your performance, if you look back at many physix based games. For example in metro last light, i and many others, were having 1 fps, with latest physix drivers, since nvidia fucked there something up, and i had to reverse to older version, to have it run as it should.

Thats not an excuse, but fact is, arma 3 is a LOT more optimized then arma 2 + arma 3 just came out, when arma 2 came out in 2009, and got billions of patches! Just have a bit more patience, BIS will improve this. For example, i couldn't run beta on ultra, as i replied before, i was suprised, when finale version came out, it automaticaly set everything to ultra, and it felt so smooth!

Btw, are there many new games out there, which never had any trouble at release, bug and performance wise? Maybe im missing something then.

As one of tips, to make it feel more smooth, you could limit your FPS to 30. So you will always have 30 fps, but not if it drops below. For nvidia card owners, this can be done with NVIDIA inspector, no idea for ATI users.

Edited by NeuroFunker

Simple solution: Cap frame rate at 30 with Msi afterburner. Get used to it and it will be steady and smooth.

tried capping it at 40 using in game cap. doesn't work that well when it drops to 10 fps sometimes. also if you're playing other games 60+ fps, this definitely feels awful by comparison.

meanwhile quad cores became standard 2 years ago.

More like 4-5 years ago. They were standard fare when Arma II came out.

I feel sorry, for everyone who has trouble with performance here. But for the billion times, always measure your performance in sigleplayer!

I don't even mess around with multiplayer. Almost all of my testing has been done in SP, and there are plenty of situations that induce framerate crapping, GPU usage killing bottleneck of the engine. This includes areas of an empty map with minimum view distance, as well as some of the Bohemia made showcases. It really doesn't take all that much to bring the engine limitations out and have it wreck gameplay. There is only so much "tweaking" they can do on top of the current, crumbling foundation. It is stretched to the max. It is the 800 lb elephant in the room. But, they have a crowd of people standing around it, trying to pretend like it isn't there, or that it is not an elephant at all...

Were it not for their lack of attention, public discourse, feedback, care, or concern for this years old *fundamental* issue, I would have probably bought take on mars, and take on helicopters. As it stands, I have no confidence or faith in them at this point to release games that don't have engines that are the #1 inhibitor of performance. It is a futile discussion at this point. It is what it is. This game will never live up to its potential (in my opinion) b/c the number one thing holding it back gets nothing but crickets from the dev side, and plenty of folks providing cover and deflection of the root issue on the customer side. I say again... A real pretty, cardboard mansion. Polish means it looks pretty sitting still... What happens when you want to take it for a spin?

I feel sorry, for everyone who has trouble with performance here. But for the billion times, always measure your performance in sigleplayer!

This X 10000

People still dont get this. IF you get amazing frames in the editor/single player but SHIT performance online, does that not seem strange to you? 99% of the problem is server side which is not BI's fault. It's people running poorly optimized missions or on a shitty host.

I generally measure my performance in Single Player, I've pretty much given up on Multi Player for the time being.

yep, just wait, until more experienced server hosters, will pop up in arma 3. As for my knowledge, arma2.su samatra wasteland servers, are one of few right now.

yep, just wait, until more experienced server hosters, will pop up in arma 3. As for my knowledge, arma2.su samatra wasteland servers, are one of few right now.

do you know how many AI they run on those servers?

says someone with 3 posts? lol

---------- Post added at 20:33 ---------- Previous post was at 20:32 ----------

do you know how many AI they run on those servers?

no idea, i don't play there, cause of damn stratis. But after playing for a bit, it felt quite smooth.

I have the same problem in Single Player. Not the amount of times that I have it on MP but I have the same issues.

Specs: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?162894-re-Beyond-recommended-requirements-Terrible-Performance&p=2503003&viewfull=1#post2503003

I know that I don't have a high-end PC but reading so many other people, I don't think It's just because of poorly optimized missions and that kind of stuff. I Know that optimizing an app it's hard, I did it so many times, but man, that explanation just does not fit for me.

---------- Post added at 20:33 ---------- Previous post was at 20:32 ----------

Someone with 3 posts can't express his opinion? What a stupid comment.

Edited by MlggElite

Can I use this line on the dev who is supposed to be writing the performance blog, and is one of the "key" developers on Arma 3 with regards to the engine? He only has 9 posts...

http://forums.bistudio.com/member.php?127757-dazhbog

You saying I should discount anything anyone says if they have single digit post count? Even if they happen to be a developer many of us have been anticipating hearing from for months? Oh, wait.. that would be completely illogical and unreasonable. I prefer to take people on the content of their posts and go from there.

This person was venting. Their post added nothing to the thread, and was silly, sure. Better left ignored in that case... much like this issue has been ignored under cover of misinformation... b/c there is nothing any of us can add that hasn't already been added and thoroughly established over the last *years*