Sign in to follow this  
terox

DEV Patch released without knowing about major bug.

22-08-2013

EXE rev. 09399

Size: ~275 MB

Known issue: addWeapon is broken

I've been running the DEV branch since the release of the Alpha

It has been a bumpy ride since then.

There has been lots of patches that have broken all the custom made missions, mainly due to required classname changes or modifcations to Stratis.

This I expected and worked through the issues to maintain a busy server \ community with playable missions.

Today's patch however, quite frankly takes the p**s.

To release a patch, knowing that a commonly known command such as "Addweapon" is broken is simply unprofessional and should never happen.

Just about every public play mission is now broken, this includes any missions that have kit scripts, vehicle cargo scripts, ammo crate scripts, VAS, some revive scripted systems such as BTC's

This is not how in my opinion, you should be treating your Beta DEV branch testers, especially if you want unpaid testers to help you.

Please do not repeat this error.

Either

1. Delay the release
  2. Allow a rollback option

This should simply not have happened.

I've been running the DEV branch since the release of the Alpha

It has been a bumpy ride since then.

There has been lots of patches that have broken all the custom made missions, mainly due to required classname changes or modifcations to Stratis.

This I expected and worked through the issues to maintain a busy server \ community with playable missions.

Today's patch however, quite frankly takes the p**s.

To release a patch, knowing that a commonly known command such as "Addweapon" is broken is simply unprofessional and should never happen.

Just about every public play mission is now broken, this includes any missions that have kit scripts, vehicle cargo scripts, ammo crate scripts, VAS, some revive scripted systems such as BTC's

This is not how in my opinion, you should be treating your Beta DEV branch testers, especially if you want unpaid testers to help you.

Please do not repeat this error.

Either

1. Delay the release
  2. Allow a rollback option

This should simply not have happened.

Agree ! I've mentioned that earlier :/

Wow, someone isn't happy but seriously your complaining about the fact that something is broken? You are on the developer branch as you have stated. Not to state the obvious but you knew things like this were going to happen. They'll fix it, cool your jets.

To answer your question; it is in the nature of the development branch itself, has been since the launch of the Public Alpha, and there are currently no plans to change it. It's entirely opt-in, i.e. it's not the default branch, and nothing about it is guaranteed. Things will change and things will break, as they already have, and will continue to. There are disclaimers in the top right of the in-game loading screens that explain this, and we have repeated this here and through other communication channels many times.

If you do not want to partake in this, it is, of course, perfectly fine to opt-out. :)

It should be pointed out that the addWeapon command being broken was not a "known issue" until after the dev branch update was released and people started complaining about it. (Note that DnA edited the post ~40 minutes after he posted it. Guess which line was added.)

So yeah, shit happens. Thread closed.

no difference in Arma 3 Development branch to Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead beta branch ... things might go broken ... we try not to, but can't warrant it, because it's the nature of the these branches

I think the point that the OP is missing is that the patch wasn't released with the known issue. The issue was identified after release; it was documented as a known issue afterwards, so beta testers did not need to keep reporting it/find it by surprise.

For me, that doesn't change any of the other responses in this thread, however; we try to be as careful as we can, but the dev branch is inherently more likely to have problems slipping through the net.

Those using this branch should accept that, or elect to use the default branch.

Best,

RiE

(sorry, MadDogX, I overlooked your response amid the others)

Edited by RoyaltyinExile
disclaimer!

Thread title edited to fit actual facts.