bakerman

Armor Improvement System (AIS)

Thank you Bakerman for continuing development of this excellent mod. Will you consider adding more MBTs once they are properly ported from A2 samples?

Thank you for the kind words Pulstar. I don't intend to add A2 content to AIS, but I intend to help out with the community porting effort once I've gained enough experience. I've been discussing this with Olds and we want to improve the armor of the ported A2 content, so who knows what the future holds. :)

I think you have this the wrong way around. If you disagree with something, then you give the info with sources, best of all if you strongly disagree you're also free to create your own mod. I was expecting one or two people to look at my post without fully reading it and reply as fast as their fingers could type and you won first prize.

I don't know why you've gotten angry about this, and it's probably not worth responding, but anyways, rest assured that I read the entire post.

I'm not suggesting alternate numbers; I'm not developing a tank mod. I'm just saying that some of your are higher than EVERY estimate I've ever seen on the internet ever, and I've really seen a whole ton of them. All the obvious sources, I think.

And I DID mention a source. Steel Beasts tank sim. You can find beautiful armor diagrams on their wiki site.

I didn't post to disagree with your numbers. I quite clearly asked for a source, out of curiosity, because if there is one, I want to read it. That's all.

Anyways, since you're are angry at me for criticizing already, I might as well actually criticize: Why should KE ammo stay stagnant until 2035? Current numbers on penetrators we have now are for models that are years old, with newer stuff long in development. What's your stance on frontal armor from a gameplay perspective? Whether offense or defense is ahead in 2035 is a crap shoot, so you might as well pick whatever play's better.

I'm not angry, I just found your post to be obnoxious and if that wasn't your intent then I apologies for my response. :) Unfortunately it seems like you failed to read the most important part of my post "take it with a large pinch of salt" and "Military specs are often meant to deceive" and you can believe that I meant it! I don't trust any numbers regarding modern armor thickness, not even my own numbers. ;) Luckily for you I don't even touch the armor in game, I just mess around with the vehicles and projectiles. I will certainly check out the steel beasts wiki page, but like I said I don't touch the armor nor am I able to. I do believe that there will be advancements in KE perpetrators, but I'm limiting myself to what's currently in service. The 2035 setting in arma is a very strange one, the tanks in game will be very old by 2035, so I'm going with the flow and using old ammo.

Yes, I didn't mean to be obnoxious, sorry if I was incautious in my wording.

"take it with a large pinch of salt" and "Military specs are often meant to deceive

Right, but I react that way to even the most authoritative sources, because at the end of the day it's all classified.

thx Baker for this infos. Nice to see these numbers. is there any chance to get the arma3 values of all armored vehicles (on my own?) and AT weapons? Just for training purpose to see what can do damage on what parts. We love to use APC, MBT and want to be prepared.

Very nice to see that your working with Olds armor mod. Cant really imagine how cool this will get ;)

Here's a video quickly showcasing wind effect on aircraft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBAkkmR26tM

This is something I've been working on for a long time and it's one of the features I posted a long long time ago. Currently it simulates several effects, most notably wind, translational lift and ground effect. There's also some extra features in the script, like the camera shake upon touchdown. There's still some extra effects I can simulate, but there's also some I cannot, because certain effects requires access to engine RPM which I do not have.

The video also showcases some changes I made to the Commanche's weapons. The M301 20mm cannon now has a variable rate of fire and can fire a wide variety of shells like HEI, HE, API & SLAP. The AA missiles have been replaced with ATGMs on this specific configuration. I also added a new laser marker and safety switch. Something that is not shown in the video is that the DAGRs now require a laser target to be fire and forget, if fired without a lock-on the rocket will follow the gunner's sights.

Here's a video quickly showcasing wind effect on aircraft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBAkkmR26tM

This is something I've been working on for a long time and it's one of the features I posted a long long time ago. Currently it simulates several effects, most notably wind, translational lift and ground effect. There's also some extra features in the script, like the camera shake upon touchdown. There's still some extra effects I can simulate, but there's also some I cannot, because certain effects requires access to engine RPM which I do not have.

The video also showcases some changes I made to the Commanche's weapons. The M301 20mm cannon now has a variable rate of fire and can fire a wide variety of shells like HEI, HE, API & SLAP. The AA missiles have been replaced with ATGMs on this specific configuration. I also added a new laser marker and safety switch. Something that is not shown in the video is that the DAGRs now require a laser target to be fire and forget, if fired without a lock-on the rocket will follow the gunner's sights.

Bakerman, that looks great!

A couple ideas for other improvements:

-Optional high-trajectory path (like the hellfire's LOAL-HI)

-Make flares lockable objects which AI will fire at

Bakerman, that looks great!

A couple ideas for other improvements:

-Optional high-trajectory path (like the hellfire's LOAL-HI)

-Make flares lockable objects which AI will fire at

1. Working on it! Not just for helicopter ATGMs ;)

2. You mean like in Battlefield where you can actually lock onto the flare itself?

1. Working on it! Not just for helicopter ATGMs ;)

Awesome. Much appreciated.

2. You mean like in Battlefield where you can actually lock onto the flare itself?

Well, I don't play battlefield so I couldn't say. But what I would like is a system where the flares actually work by spoofing the missile/user into hitting them instead of the aircraft. Both would be accomplished by making the flares a lockable hostile vehicle (just like the laser target) and which causes the missile to detonate early (since it would be on proximity switch).

That would make pre-emptive flares actually useful because whether you are up against AI or humans, there would be a chance that you would end up targeting the flares instead of the aircraft, and any damage you did would have to depend on blast radius of the missile and how close the flare ended up to the aircraft upon detonation.

A similar system could be applied to chaff with it be a lockable object only for radar-based launchers.

Edited by Shadow_MSOG

All great stuff in this thread, but how are you planning to release it? One major mod? All fully separate mods? Or modular (like TMR). I'm mostly interested in the trophy system and so, but the other things look great as well. Don't care a whole lot for the changed weapons on the helicopter, mostly because I already did similar changes for a PvP environment

Sent from my MI 2S using Tapatalk

It will have to be in one large modular mod for optimal enjoyment, however the modules can operate independently. The new weapon configurations go hand in hand with the other modules, offensive and defensive. Here's a scenario to give you an idea of what I'm doing and how this changes the game.

You're piloting an attack helicopter, trying your best to keep it stable in the worsening weather. Your concentration is broken momentarily as the gunner calls out the target and fires an ATGM at the enemy armor. The missile powers its way towards the clouds in the direction of the enemy. Inside the tank alarms go off and the crew is alerted, but the human crew it too slow to react and the automated systems kick in. The first line of defense is deployed, the turret turns to face the threat as infrared smoke grenades are launched to break the laser lock, but the missile continues unhindered guided by radar. Now in a state of panic the tank commander hastily sets the APS to always intercept. The missile changes its vector and points directly at the tank as it thunders down to earth. The radar of the APS detects the incoming threat and deploys a powerful defensive charge in the direction of the missile, the charge explodes sending a hailstorm of fragments in all directions. By chance one of the fragments hits the missile, but it's too late, the missile detonates on top of the turret. The shaped explosive of the missile forms a jet of molten copper which cuts the enemy armor like butter, the jet enters the cabin the and hits the ammunition in the auto-loader, it's all over for the tank as metal crumbles and fire spews from its hatches.

Or how we currently have it: You press Tab while hovering 3 clicks from your target, press fire and something dies... :D

I actually removed all locking from the DAGR, which I believe are pretty much these things. Made them weaker also to put them more in line with hydras. Then changed the flight path a bit to make them harder to aim. The same goes for the Scalpels.

The main reason I'm so interested in the APS is because tanks are just take quite a bit of work to use: They are slow, massive targets, can be seen easily and are quite vulnerable right now. When you had some working countermeasures, you can either to choose to continue to fight when you ran out of them.. Which is very dangerous. Basically as dangerous as flying around without any flares on your helicopter

The DAGR is the Direct Attack Guided Rocket as far as I'm concerned, so laser lock is in line with reality.

Having an APS is a nice, but it's not a magical fix for the game. Thus I'm spending a lot of time on things that interact with tanks, because for the most part it's a bit off.

I'm not sure I understand? Currently all of the tanks and cars have gears. Do you perhaps mean adding manual transmissions?

I'm not sure I understand? Currently all of the tanks and cars have gears. Do you perhaps mean adding manual transmissions?

Yep :D

Sorry, that I didn't clarified myself better.^^

Not sure how much better or worse it is now, but 1 of the latest dev patches had tanks seeing a transmission change (haven't played it yet since).

@Heavygunner

No problem man. I haven't really considered it and I wouldn't want to make it the default state for vehicles, due to default key maps and the fact that modern tanks have automatic transmissions. However I will consider it in where appropriate and/or as an optional module. Consider the idea firmly planted in my head. :)

@ShiftySean

Tank transmissions seem to be better as far as I can tell, but I only tested hill climbing very quickly so I may be wrong.

I almost don't dare to ask, but is there any chance we can play around with an updated version? Most of the stuff seems great and I'd absolutely love to use it inside TacBF

It's done when it's done, but if you're interested in anything specific you can send me a PM.

This doesn't seem to be working when using PlayWithSix, i get:

bakedAIS/BakedAIS_init.sqf not found

Anyone else see this or use this lately? Is it because i'm on the dev branch maybe?

New update fixed the startup error, but now I don't seem to be seeing any effect in game, am I doing something wrong?

Also how come the original post was edited out? i'm a little confused, haha.