progamer

A Large Fixed Wing transport aircraft for Arma 3

I would like to see a jump capable aircraft honestly. The closest is the Osprey (which has smaller cargo area the the Chinook) and as pointed out can't carry crap. Great bird, just limited in some ways. Honestly I'd like to see a C-17, but the reality is the c-130J model will be in service at least that long, and is more suited to the small runways on the map.

The A-400M and C-17 can both take off and land quicker than the C-130. Meaning the C-130 is less suited to the small runways.

---------- Post added at 01:34 ---------- Previous post was at 01:32 ----------

I doubt if the large cargo transport that we're all gunning for is going to be able to carry an MBT - the C17 can I think...but only 1. What we also need to supplement MBT and other heavy vehicle transport, is a large hovercraft type vessel. Remember, the key word here is SUPPLEMENT not REPLACE. I think we still need both.

I would prefer to get a real life aircraft before we start getting into the prototypes which will likely change a lot before they actually enter service. The quadrotor large aircraft is more of something that would be ore suited to mods while the developers focus on real world aircraft.

I also think the A400 would be the most fitting transport aircraft in game, but BIS should also include the C-130J or a future varient of it because lots of NATO nations use them such as the US, UK, Denmark, Norway and other nations. Also the C130J would be great for the army of Altis.

Just like to have my say in this that I support the notion to include any sort of heavy transport aircraft for atleast BLUFOR, even better is to include 1 for OPFOR and best to give all the factions one. The A-400M and C-17 are indeed great choices for NATO forces, while the C-130's is very well suited to Altis's army. The Y-20 would be OPFOR's best choice as it is also a comparable aircraft to the C-17. Cheers!

They have the stealth RAH-66 Comanche though, which is a stealth attack chopper. Also, I would imagine a C-130 like plane would be a NATO jet.

Not gonna lie, but when BI chose the RAH-66 Comanche to use as their make up CAS heli, they didn't take into consideration that the thing has literally NO armor. RAH = Recon Armed Helicopter. Not only that, it was originally designed to laser designate targets for the Apache. Aside from that, not sure if you can combine Stealth and Armor, but hey, it is 2035 in the Arma world so...

Edited by DarkSideSixOfficial

I am angry for my own reasons, and even thought i would keep off from this thread because i knew i would snap, here i am. My fault. I will come over later and apologise, but i have to say it.

Seriously guys. Wake up. Have some coffee. Think a second about it.

A cargo plane to bring stuff 50 km away, stranded on an island.

A cargo plane to bring stuff 50 km away.

A CARGO PLANE TO BRING STUFF 50 KM AWAY.

30 people, 50km away: your vehicle of choice is a cargo plane. Not a chinook or two. No. A C-130J, nonetheless. Someone talked about refuelling. Why not a suborbital rocket? Or take a Branson&Rutan Virgin WarriorFour or Five from 2035, then you fly to the moon and back to land 40 km away with your 15 marines and their pew-pew MXs TAH-DAAAH!

So whats the plan? Surprising your enemies with n.1 MBT behind their lines by paradropping it? Saving ferry time, by putting your base 100km off the OA just to use the big fat toy? The very famous C5 flying a 300ft for 50 km all the world speaks about in sheer terror? Any other master plan my D&D master from when i was 13 yr old could do best any day of the week?

Has the thought sink in your brains yet? Has it? I thought the best of ridicule has been seen when you managed to get the absolutely useless jet plane for dogfighting in the middle of the Aegean (well, i do hope you didnt, and that was their plan all the time, because if they got lobbied by a bunch of delusional people from the forum and thought they were representative from their customers... brrr). But here you are at it again, with a F***G CARGO PLANE.

Guys really snap out of it, this is no G.I. Joe setup. This is the very definition of "job for a modder with some free time on his hands"; but no, some think that BIS have to do absolutely useless vehicles instead of minding all the huge gaps in physics and variety of vehicles and weaponry -stuff that we all, simmers and casuals, clanners and Single players, use in every game we do- because the useful stuff, the one that gets the game bought, are better done by some generously unpaid volunteers.

The only way to use a cargo plane would be using it as an AI support having it passing at FL200 from one side to the other, dropping stuff from high away. Or using a Cessna 208 Caravan or equivalent (they also come with amphibian kits, BTW). So BIS better be off of this until they had made enough ground vehicles to waste their time with this Z priority job, or i swear to god ill start lobbying for some railroad artillery piece or ICBMs.

Scared yet? You should be. Ok, ok, really, try slicing thru the rudeness and come to your senses, guys. A c130. A400m. Snap out of it.

Edited by Maffa

Dude, it's a game. Or better, a sandbox game.

Cargo planes worked well on previous Armas and are missing here.

The only one time i paradropped from a C130 i were on it when the game started and never saw it again. As it should be. sandbox game doesnt mean GI Joe cartoon setup.

I am angry for my own reasons, and even thought i would keep off from this thread because i knew i would snap, here i am. My fault. I will come over later and apologise, but i have to say it.

30 people, 50km away: your vehicle of choice is a cargo plane. Not a chinook or two. No. A C-130J, nonetheless. Someone talked about refuelling. Why not a suborbital rocket? Or take a Branson&Rutan Virgin WarriorFour or Five from 2035, then you fly to the moon and back to land 40 km away with your 15 marines and their pew-pew MXs TAH-DAAAH!

So whats the plan? Surprising your enemies with n.1 MBT behind their lines by paradropping it? Saving ferry time, by putting your base 100km off the OA just to use the big fat toy? The very famous C5 flying a 300ft for 50 km all the world speaks about in sheer terror? Any other master plan my D&D master from when i was 13 yr old could do best any day of the week?

Has the thought sink in your brains yet? Has it? I thought the best of ridicule has been seen when you managed to get the absolutely useless jet plane for dogfighting in the middle of the Aegean (well, i do hope you didnt, and that was their plan all the time, because if they got lobbied by a bunch of delusional people from the forum and thought they were representative from their customers... brrr). But here you are at it again, with a F***G CARGO PLANE.

Guys really snap out of it, this is no G.I. Joe setup. This is the very definition of "job for a modder with some free time on his hands"; but no, some think that BIS have to do absolutely useless vehicles instead of minding all the huge gaps in physics and variety of vehicles and weaponry -stuff that we all, simmers and casuals, clanners and Single players, use in every game we do- because the useful stuff, the one that gets the game bought, are better done by some generously unpaid volunteers.

The only way to use a cargo plane would be using it as an AI support having it passing at FL200 from one side to the other, dropping stuff from high away. Or using a Cessna 208 Caravan or equivalent (they also come with amphibian kits, BTW). So BIS better be off of this until they had made enough ground vehicles to waste their time with this Z priority job, or i swear to god ill start lobbying for some railroad artillery piece or ICBMs.

Scared yet? You should be. Ok, ok, really, try slicing thru the rudeness and come to your senses, guys. A c130. A400m. Snap out of it.

+1 that made me smile, nice post.

In your narrow mindness you completely forget scenarios where the mission starts with you beeing paradroped on the damn island during an invasion.

It´s a sandbox. The more toys the better!

The A400m and C-130J are the most logical Cargo/Transports. I cant see anything else being used, unless BI were willing to implement something like Russian's modern Caspian Sea Monster. They have the technology to make planes that can land on water so why not? But hey, the A400m is STOL, and fully capable of landing and taking off at some of the airfields on Altis. I do believe though that there is one airfield you cant get off unless you have like, an Ultra light or Prop plane. But all the other Airfields are doable with an A400M. C-130J on the other hand, will only get off the main airport. That is a fact. I've tested it out and ended up hitting tress and rock walls with a C-130J. I've seen videos of the A-400m. Matter a fact, here.

Instant take off. (not really, but you get the point, it is flexible)

---------- Post added at 17:27 ---------- Previous post was at 17:19 ----------

Guys really snap out of it, this is no G.I. Joe setup. This is the very definition of "job for a modder with some free time on his hands"; but no, some think that BIS have to do absolutely useless vehicles instead of minding all the huge gaps in physics and variety of vehicles and weaponry

You contradicted yourself. You want variety of vehicles, yet you get all bent out of shape because people request one single Cargo plane? So wait, the definition of variety doesn't include different kinds of aircraft does it... hmm...

In your narrow mindness you completely forget scenarios where the mission starts with you beeing paradroped on the damn island during an invasion.

It´s a sandbox. The more toys the better!

The only way to use a cargo plane would be using it as an AI support having it passing at FL200 from one side to the other, dropping stuff from high away. Or using a Cessna 208 Caravan or equivalent (they also come with amphibian kits, BTW).
AH! In your face! (LOL)
The A400m and C-130J are the most logical Cargo/Transports. I cant see anything else being used, unless BI were willing to implement something like Russian's modern Caspian Sea Monster. They have the technology to make planes that can land on water so why not? But hey, the A400m is STOL, and fully capable of landing and taking off at some of the airfields on Altis. I do believe though that there is one airfield you cant get off unless you have like, an Ultra light or Prop plane. But all the other Airfields are doable with an A400M. C-130J on the other hand, will only get off the main airport. That is a fact. I've tested it out and ended up hitting tress and rock walls with a C-130J. I've seen videos of the A-400m. Matter a fact, here.

I will tell you a secret. That plane was empty, in perfect weather. Try to do that with stuff or people onboard, with a little thermal or wind, and enjoy the screams.

You contradicted yourself. You want variety of vehicles, yet you get all bent out of shape because people request one single Cargo plane? So wait, the definition of variety doesn't include different kinds of aircraft does it... hmm...
ground veichles; and helos, the only ones that have a place in this scenario; and the ones all keep forgetting, boats and ships in all their shapes and tonnage, since a full third of this humongous map is made of water (jet ski anyone?). Anything but fixed wing planes, expecially the bulk and/or fast ones, since they dont belong to this scenario, as well as trains, bycicles with training wheels and yellow duck shaped paddle boats.

I'm going to post this again because I actually made picture links that work this time!

TRANSPORT AIRCRAFT - Personally I don't see any need in adding the massive heavy lifters, although the C-5 Galaxy is probably my favorite transport (Love the sound of those engines.) I just can't see any need for something that big with any of the map sizes that have been created for Arma 2 or 3. A medium sized aircraft is really all that I would consider necessary, anything larger would just be for fun. Also since it's the future, I think we should use our imaginations a little bit and look past just the plain old fixed wing aircraft.

Now here is the part where I’m torn… I like variety in planes… certain planes do certain things better, that’s why I don’t really like assigning one plane to a specific group or faction. I think they should just be customizable. (I.E. paint jobs and markings) On the other hand I can see having a game where 3 sides clash and giving them distinct aircraft with uneven capabilities could be a small problem for those who just want to have fun and not have to plan for how to best utilize their aircraft given the limitations. (Public Multi-player)

So if we gave them similar capabilities based off the rough draft of limitations I set in this wish list in the Wish list and Ideas - No Discussion thread, page 213, it would be this...

All aircraft can carry 80 troops or 2 tanks but the Quad Rotor and Tilt Wing could only do so if they executed a rolling takeoff and landing, otherwise they could only take off and land completely vertical with 1 tank. In addition the Quad rotor would be slow and cumbersome in helicopter mode but it would be able to move side to side whereas the Tilt Wing would need to rotate and then move forward or backward. They should all be able to reverse direction. The A400M would be able to take off and land in relatively short distance and would be quite nimble. (Sharp turning radius and quick recovery.)

NATO FORCES: Quad Tilt Rotor - Something similar to the V-44 http://i44.tinypic.com/zm1vm9.jpg or http://i39.tinypic.com/5fkpl3.png Basically it would be about the size of a C-17GlobeMaster. I think it would be neat if it could open up the nose like a C-5 Galaxy, that way you could pretty much drive up the rear ramp to load up and straight out the front when you land.

OPFOR: Tilt Wing - Something kind of like this http://i44.tinypic.com/qxjngi.jpg (Sort of looks like an AN-70 already!) but with the glass nose of an IL-76, contra-rotating props like the AN-70 and a tilt wing. Here's a different cool picture. http://i41.tinypic.com/2njhnpe.jpg (I actually like this picture, it looks like a C-17 though.) Here's what the props of an AN-70 look like. http://i44.tinypic.com/245bol5.jpg The engines should be larger though and it should have a turbo fan on the back (needs it for stabilization)…or just leave that bit of realism out completely. If you haven’t seen the XC-142 here you go. :P

GreenFor: A300M - Upgraded to be slightly wider with the ability to accommodate 2 tanks. It should be quick, maneuverable, have excellent braking and the ability to reverse direction on the ground.

Now to those saying that the A300M and the C-17 are going to be out of service by 2035... doubtful. Look how long we've been using the C-5 and the C-130. The stealth C-130 is a long LONG ways off.. and we have to find the money to fund it first. As far as I know, progress is slow at best.

Edited by Squirrel0311

AH! In your face! (LOL)

I will tell you a secret. That plane was empty, in perfect weather. Try to do that with stuff or people on board, with a little thermal or wind, and enjoy the screams.

ground vehicles; and helos, the only ones that have a place in this scenario; and the ones all keep forgetting, boats and ships in all their shapes and tonnage, since a full third of this humongous map is made of water (jet ski anyone?). Anything but fixed wing planes, especially the bulk and/or fast ones, since they don't belong to this scenario, as well as trains, bicycles with training wheels and yellow duck shaped paddle boats.

Your correct to some extent. And yes, i do agree that there would have been tons of screams if the cargo in that plane were full, but the last time i checked, flying a plane with full armament as apposed to no weapons and 30% fual in a Buzzard, didn't changed it's performance what so ever, but that is besides the point. Now as for variety, it would be nice to have a little taste of everything. Since, it would fit all factions. In other words, no fixed wing aircraft? Why no some simple beach planes, and Cessna's to enjoy a nice civilian flight? Also, i agree that boats should be a part of the action too. In a post not long ago, i brought up how the Battlefield 4 Patrol Boats played such a key role in the islands and on maps with water. Think about an armored boat, larger than the speedboat mini-gun, with a Titan launcher and a 25-30mm cannon. That would be something to see. Maybe an AA variant of it as well. But time will tell. I guarantee you all these things will come, but BI is more Slowly and surely at this point. They have their hands full, believe me when i say that.

i hope you will agree with me here when i say that C130 class planes are the last of the priority list... i can barely bear with the jet because it's a trainer and sort of case study for the flight models and general vehicle behaviours, but no more of that. In order to have engaging games we need more ground vehicles that any faction in any game can use and fight with/against, not some sort of eyecandy prop to use once or twice.

I dont say that there will be no use for cargoes in the future (maybe a future that will include a mainland, or an even bigger map, or a guaranteed paradrop usage), but now it's useless. We have other priorities, even in the vehicle section. For one, i would really like that BIs would take in their hands the re-making of A2/2013 vehicles and weaponry, because it is plenty of possible that they would be in war theaters in 2035, and because MANY players dont want to play this 2035 scenario and it would be just damn right to give them what they demand.

So i would prefere them not wasting any time in useless/unusable stuff like a C130 on Altis with version 1.03.

Edited by Maffa

You under estimate these "trainers". I can understand your point on the C-130s. As for the trainers though, I will have you know, the ALCA (buzzard) is not the BEST, and i can understand the fact that the faction it belongs to is the Rebels, but i understand how to use it and it's power. I played Insurgency on Altis as the Greenfor pilot, even though Blufor had all of this great stuff to hoot me down with... I decimated them. They couldn't leave spawn, and every time they got themselves a jet up, i shot it down. But that is besides the point. Now on the other hand, i've seen the new CSAT CAS plane, and i know what it is. It is a good thing, but these things BI adds into the game can be very useful, if you have the right people behind them. As for transports, well... i can see what you mean. Cherno was even smaller and we had a C-130 for a 144KM map. what will be have for a 270KM map for transport. I simply hope it is something not over done. Personally, i don't like quad rotors. Not only do i see major flaws in them, but they are not practical in my opinion. (As transports anyway, Quad rotor drones are ok. i can deal with that.)

For one, i would really like that BIs would take in their hands the re-making of A2/2013 vehicles and weaponry, because it is plenty of possible that they would be in war theaters in 2035, and because MANY players dont want to play this 2035 scenario and it would be just damn right to give them what they demand.
Whereas Maruk's publicly-stated rationale for releasing the Arma 2 model library for modders explicitly is because "upgrading the Arma 2 massive content library to Arma 3 standards is beyond what we can do in reasonable time"... signals to me that he's essentially washing his hands of the A2/2013 setting and not willing to put resources into it.

You under estimate these "trainers". I can understand your point on the C-130s. As for the trainers though, I will have you know, the ALCA (buzzard) is not the BEST, and i can understand the fact that the faction it belongs to is the Rebels, but i understand how to use it and it's power. I played Insurgency on Altis as the Greenfor pilot, even though Blufor had all of this great stuff to hoot me down with... I decimated them. They couldn't leave spawn, and every time they got themselves a jet up, i shot it down. But that is besides the point. Now on the other hand, i've seen the new CSAT CAS plane, and i know what it is. It is a good thing, but these things BI adds into the game can be very useful, if you have the right people behind them. As for transports, well... i can see what you mean. Cherno was even smaller and we had a C-130 for a 144KM map. what will be have for a 270KM map for transport. I simply hope it is something not over done. Personally, i don't like quad rotors. Not only do i see major flaws in them, but they are not practical in my opinion. (As transports anyway, Quad rotor drones are ok. i can deal with that.)

you know what i mean. No use putting an EFA or a Raptor on Altis, when half the people on the jet thread asked for them. They litterally didnt know a thing about aerial warfare, the state of the art in terms of military planes and how to use them. They just wanted a toy to play with. I already have a kid to tend to, and i know how unreasonable he can be, but he is 5, he should be.

The supertucano, the Buzzard, the A346, the A10 barely qualify for this map and scenario, as it is, becauwe only the first is cheap and expendable enough to have any sense in an isle as big as a quarter of Sardinia, half Corse, slightly smaller than Mallorca or just choose your most familiar island near to you. 50 km high and wide, half an hour to make coast to coast by car. Huge in game terms, but the proportions are still these. And people want mach 2 jets, and giant cargo planes. Are they totally out of their mind?

Whereas Maruk's publicly-stated rationale for releasing the Arma 2 model library for modders explicitly is because "upgrading the Arma 2 massive content library to Arma 3 standards is beyond what we can do in reasonable time"... signals to me that he's essentially washing his hands of the A2/2013 setting and not willing to put resources into it.

i wish to think that they may find the time to reproduce at least some of the most famous weapons and vehicles and items back in A2. The ones that are most likely to make it to 2035 (i.e. pretty everything, AK47 included). It would be faster than come up with make-believe stuff: at least this is all referenced stuff.

Is this arma 3 or Maffa 3?

are you drunk? i will, in a minute.

i wish to think that they may find the time to reproduce at least some of the most famous weapons and vehicles and items back in A2. The ones that are most likely to make it to 2035 (i.e. pretty everything, AK47 included). It would be faster than come up with make-believe stuff: at least this is all referenced stuff.

At least in this I can agree with you. Not only because more is more but because of the animations used in some of these weapons that are common on many other plataforms.

Well, the way i see it, instead of Port things from Arma 2, i rather them make new things. New weapons. As for the whole future thing? That is cool, some people like it, some people don't. Personally, i don't like things TOO futuristic, i would play Planetside 2 otherwise. But instead of porting over old models like they did the Buzzard, they should have made a new refurbished one. Now, things like the A346, as CAS, is not possible, i don't think Italy has an attack variant, the way Russia has been developing its Yak-131 Light Attack. At you may think why put tons of weapons on a trainer and send it to battle, well, it isn't a trainer. The Yak-130 is. The Yak-131 on the other hand, will utilize the best of the Yak-130. After all, it can imitate the flight characteristics of any 4th+ gen plane, including all American ones, and all East planes as well. (in the subsonic area of course). and it is obvious, BI is not going to put a Mach 2.5 jet on Altis, much less do they know how to create the flight model of one, without hours on hours of looking into them. As for the transports, well, i am interesting to see how this will go. the Hem-T trucks and 5 person MRAP's are enough for me, I've driven a Hunter across the map and enjoyed the scenery. I enjoy having a highway in Altis unlike Chernorus where the roads were... not well placed. Thanks to Cherno-Russian construction companies. I will wait Patiently and see what BI will come up with in terms of Air transport. The heli's they have now are fine. Oh wait, and if you have time, look up the KA-62. Raussia's new heli, bigger than the KA-60 (P-30 Orca)

when i say "old weapons and vehicles" i mean stable and up to par with A3, not crude crtl+c crtl+v just-as-they-are portings . I would like a dedicated artist and programmer to do M16's and M4's and Ak74s and M110s and Humvees and Dragunovs etc. I can only hope.

As far as the 346 is concerned, 346 -while still under development- has 9 pylons and something like 3000kg payload allowance (according to wiki en). Thing is, its stall speed is 90kn, while the Supertucano has 80, which makes a lot of difference when your main anti personel weapon are guns and cannons. But turbo props dont make some people's eye sparkle, they look like my mom when she is afraid to take turbo propped planes for short fares because she doesnt trust them, she would prefer flying in a 1983s MD82 than in a 2010 ATR. But again, why fly a 170kmh supertucano when you can fly a 280kmh attack chopper that can stop in mid air, follow the infantry as low as the treetop, pops up from hills and mountains, land wherever and almost whenever it wants and brings more weaponry and havoc around? Mysteries.

We need more choppers, more ground vehicles, some boats and ships. Air transport, really last of the problems, now, moreover there is not (as far as i know) any HALO script/equipment.