Sign in to follow this  
Kydoimos

Fun with User Textures

Regarding the logos, decals, emblems etc. that was all finely tuned attachto-ing... I was up until 4am. That said, I can give you the numbers to attach your own .paas on certain vehicles. So far, I only have the tuning for the Marshall and the UH-80 and the Hunter.

That's a shame, doing so had occurred to me in the past but I wasn't willing to spend the time doing it haha.

I guess the limitation here is that it would be impossible to display it on curved surfaces (like the side of an MH-9)?

I'd be happy to grab those numbers off you, though.

Can't a lot of this be done easier with setObjectTexture or am I missing something?

SetObjectTexture is probably the way to go - but I'd have to work with paint.net/photoshop templates. If anybody knows where I can get any, please give me a shout. That'd be the way to go for the MH-9 etc., as curved surfaces are a nightmare to attach anything to.

This is amazing. My only request is that you give us the option of using an addon or mission file.

Super Fantastic!

Couple Quick Questions:

1. How are you staging the poses exactly? I've played with this some and had terrible luck. Also I noticed that my guys do NOT die when staged in a pose.

2. What Chair is that that looks like the Metal Chair? I could not find them. I'm using the Folding Chairs from the Tent section.

Goblin - you're quite right, no-one dies in the animation pose. You can use this command: This switchmove ""; in conjunction with a trigger which activates when they see you, but it still leaves you with an instant animation change. Not perfect, I know. Most of the animations I've done by attaching people to vehicles (objects seem to disable the animation). You can also add the following to a waypoint: this setbehaviour "safe"; this disableai "anim"; this switchmove "SELECT_AN_ANIMATION". In regards to your second question, I assume you are referring to the chair in the diving shop picture? That's a wooden chair from the new update, found under furniture, I think.

Awsome work!

Just wondering on how you manged to get the weapons attached to the wall? :D

The weapons attached to the wall were a bit fiddly. Basically, set the setvectordirandup so they were on their sides and then aligned them with the wall and set the direction and the elevation. Damn fiddly, but worth it in the end. Just added British tank markings to the new Scorcher. And I've got big things planned for Altis, when I have the time. Stratis Template is nearly finished. Just a few more buildings to do in Agia Marina...

---------- Post added at 22:44 ---------- Previous post was at 22:43 ----------

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198007919065/screenshots/

Hello,

nice work .How times spend you to work for this . I'l love your work . All is good hope you can buil a addon's soon .... thanks a lot for your work

Discovered that I can get some great effects with graffiti by setting the transparency: 2013-09-11_00006_zps69d933ea.jpg2013-09-11_00005_zps0c2d57b5.jpg

Hi guys - got a mission put together. Lots of User Textures in action! http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/browse?searchtext=Knight%27s+Move&childpublishedfileid=0&section=items&appid=107410&browsesort=trend. It's a multiplayer one - maximum 8 players.

Edited by Kydoimos

Can't a lot of this be done easier with setObjectTexture or am I missing something?

Problem with a lot of vehicles is that the sides are mirrored. That's one reason why my ghost grey helicopters do not have US ARMY written on the side, and use the USAF roundel instead. Any text will be screwed on one side. Noseart for the comanche is pretty much impossible to do, because of this, for example.

Yes - that is a real problem. That's when attachto comes in quite handy. Not a perfect solution, but, hey! Thankfully, some of the new armour has unmirrored panels.

The Steam link to the mission seems to not work for me. Any suggestions? Also this is amazing, cannot wait for the full templates.

Ah, really? Okay, try typing in 'Knight's Move' on the search box in the workshop. It's a multiplayer mission, but it can be played with one person (just not as fun!). I'm planning on putting together a single player version which will be much better. In fact, I'm considering adding in my own dubbing with radio static and effects. Should be awesome! Try this link: http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/browse?searchtext=Knight%27s+Move&childpublishedfileid=0&section=items&appid=107410&browsesort=trend

Perfect, that link worked! Yea all sounds good, cant wait for it.

Looks fantastic! You have obviously put a huge amount of work in .... well done!

Just wait to you hear all the audio work I'm doing! :p very excited. I've got everything from distant fog horns to ambient Farsi chatter! Also in need of voice actors. English accents, in addition to my own, would be welcomed! Just hope people enjoy the finished product half as much as I've enjoyed making it!

Very cool stuff and so much detail on it.

How you make the graffitis on walls ? Want to learn that really mayby you find time for a little tutorial or explanation.

Looking forward to play in an alive world.

Now wouldn't it be cool to be able to spray a wall in real time with a graffiti tag ?

How you make the graffitis on walls ? Want to learn that really mayby you find time for a little tutorial or explanation.

Download a suitable program for creating images in. I used Paint.net. The program can be downloaded from here: http://www.getpaint.net/download.html.

Find or create the text you wish to use in-game. A simple Google image search for ‘Grafitti, PNG’ ought to do the trick.

In your image editing program, ensure that your background is transparent. In Paint.net, highlight the canvas and delete it. Then paste or create your text. If you are pasting an image from an internet source, be certain that it has a transparent background. PNG formats are a good bet for this, and you’ll know if the background’s transparent or not because of the grey and white squares.

Now that you have your image on a transparent canvas, set the layer transparency. This involves a bit of trial and error, but I’ve found that anything between 30%-50% transparency works well.

Okay, next, we want to get rid of those stark colours in your text. In-game, they won’t look right. Best thing to do is to go to ‘adjustments’ (on Paint.net) and fiddle with the hue/saturation settings. Lower the saturation level so your image looks less vibrant. You should avoid having jet black or solid colours in your text – it’s best to go for off-whites, dark greys, etc.

As an added option, you may like to add some noise. Go to ‘effects’ (on Paint.net), select ‘Noise’ and then ‘add Noise’. Take the colour saturation slider down to 0 and set the noise intensity to somewhere between 15 and 25. A word of caution though, sometimes noise can produce strange effects in your text when it is viewed through night vision goggles in-game. A little noise, however, won’t cause any problems.

Once you have finished editing the text you wish to use, save the image in a 512x512, 1024x1024, or 2048x2048 resolution. For extra detail, you may want to resort to the maximum 4096x4096 – the limit supported in ArmA3. Bear in mind, that if you want to make your text fairly large in-game, you’ll need to use the 10M User Texture. For grafitti texts, an image that takes up about one forth of the length of the canvas is about right.

Save your text image as a TGA or PNG.

Open the text image with BI’s Texview 2. This is a part of the BI Tools package, which can be downloaded at: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=6820.

In Textview 2, leave the top left setting at its default ‘RGBA’ and select ‘DXT 5’ from the dropdown box below. Save your image in Textview 2.

So okay, you have your text image in a new .paa file – good stuff. To finish, all you need to do, is place the .paa into your mission folder, go into the ArmA3 Editor, open your mission, place a User Texture – 5M if you want something poster size, 10M if you want something billboard size, and type in the object’s Init. box: This setobjecttexture [0, “Name_of_your_Image_Here.paaâ€];

That ought to do it! All you need to do now is spend a while lining the object up with a wall. An unflinching mouse-hand and a lot of patience are required here – good luck!