Sign in to follow this  
Marioshata

There should be multiple jets in the release version

I decided to drop a line and share my disappointment about the insane decision of putting just one fixed wing aircraft in the full game release. I bet this is something you won't get away with and you'll be sorry for as planes make up a huge part of the gameplay experience in the Arma series. Everyone I told about this decided not to buy the game. Even I, long time BIS fan would have never bought it if I knew this earlier, but yeah cover our eyes and drop the bomb at the last straight. As a matter of fact, I bought Arma 3 only for the new "Real Virtuality 4" engine and never liked the futuristic idea behind it (as many like me do). Question is why taking a step back? Where are the tents, mash tents, static weapons, warfare buildings, warfare modules, bicycles, motorcycles, ambulances, camo nets...?

Really sad I have to pass Arma 3 to my 10 year old, he will have a lot of fun with the drones as he loves to play with his kite in the open.

Sincerely yours (but not anymore):

Marioshata

welp, better pack up and close the company down, game won't sell with only one plane

now, thats just trolling here. A guy, who has 11 messages only, has obviosly a lot of clue, whats going on. Thats like asking an native african, about mongol-tatars invasion on Rus...

Infantry -> Wheeled vehicle -> APC -> Tank ->Helicopter -> Fixed wing

I think fixed wing generally had the smallest number of missions in all games..

As for the rest, who knows. Perhaps they wanted a fully clean slate for Arma 3 as opposed to Arma 2 which used a few rare OFP assets, many Arma 1 and some VBS 1.

Edited by NodUnit

... you mean Arma 3 was a subscription MMO? Where was I when this happened?!

Not going to lie, seeing that literally every post of the OP's before this was in the AiA thread and the OP's confirmation of "never liked the futuristic idea behind it"... yeah, color me as someone who's less than believing of the OP's claims.

Do i have to be Major to express my disappointment? Please, don't spam my topic with useless writings. Thank you!

Overreact much? First, there are 3 fixed wing aircrafts: 1 jet fighter and 2 UAV drones

There are plenty of static weapons confirmed for the release, static AA,AT and HMG/GMG with 3 variants(including autonomous which sounds interesting), I'm sure that there will be military structures such as radars, tents, camo-nets etc.. in the full game

And I highly doubt that BIS has lost half of their fans

Go play FS:X/HAWX/ACE COMBAT if only one jet fighter is such a dealbreaker for you, ArmA 3 is not a flight simulator.

The creative director's also been pretty clear that there was a design decision to have an infantry focus (which implicitly means "fixed wing aircraft are on the periphery")... so OP, welcome to how us naval aficionados feel. :p

In any case, if you don't count the Osprey, then I've only seen three fixed wing aircraft in that "extended alpha list" anyway (the other two being the F-35 and the "C130j").

Because it was confirmed that vehicle list is final and there is only one jet on it (not counting UAVs).

What makes you think there will only be 1 jet?

The official vehicle list: http://www.arma3.com/launch-countdown

Only 1 jet fighter has been confirmed as of now, the "143 Buzzard" which is probably based on the L-159 Alca. There might be more jets upon release but that's unlikely, perhaps they'll release more jets along with an episode.

Because it was confirmed that vehicle list is final and there is only one jet on it (not counting UAVs).

No way. A3 posted a picture of the F-35 before (222 kB)

Pram > toys > Ground :)

No way. A3 posted a picture of the F-35 before (222 kB)

Several assets that were published before, were scrapped or not finished because they did not pass BIS's standards. (Shotguns, xm25, osprey, f35 and some more)

Several assets that were published before, were scrapped or not finished because they did not pass BIS's standards. (Shotguns, xm25, osprey, f35 and some more)

WTF

How can they put a picture of the F-35 and not finish it 2 years later. In that picture the F-35 looks pretty finished, wtf happened...

There's still cockpit, flight model, weapon systems, ... to be done besides the model. At least one of those things doesn't live up to BIS' quality standards at the moment, that's why it won't be in for release.

Well apparently BIS has different priorities so they just haven't spent a lot of time on jets, they focused more on infantry and other types of vehicles.

The F-35 was ported from ArmA 2 so its model might have not been good enough for them, or the interior, configs..

There's still cockpit, flight model, weapon systems, ... to be done besides the model. At least one of those things doesn't live up to BIS' quality standards at the moment, that's why it won't be in for release.

Well if they couldn't do that in 2 years, I really don't know what to say...

now, thats just trolling here. A guy, who has 11 messages only, has obviosly a lot of clue, whats going on. Thats like asking an native african, about mongol-tatars invasion on Rus...

Really? Is that how you reason?

"He has 1240 messages, man that Neurofunker must know everything!!!111"

Who knows how many threads Marioshata has been reading.. before even having an account..

anyway, back on topic. I am, again, disappointed in BIS, and I will not buy any DLC from them from now on. I'm happy I didn't buy that 'supporters edition'. god knows where the extra money for development went.

I hope that modders can make more jets once the game is out.

Well if they couldn't do that in 2 years, I really don't know what to say...
From the dev blog:
How has it taken so long, then? As mentioned above, the project has experienced fundamental changes in terms of its vision, scope, scale, and setting. Put frankly, almost two years of work related to the original direction was binned. Through a process of playing, evaluating, and honest reflection, we found that the original plan was not headed towards what we expected from a legitimate Arma sequel. The changes that were necessary to put the project back on track have been costly and difficult but, ultimately, we feel, worthwhile.
Oh yeah, ItsThomas, I see no reason why modders can't make more fixed-wing aircraft -- heck, we already have Gnat's Cessna 185 Skywagon (it's a propeller aircraft I know) for fixed-wing, and I've seen some Arma 3-ready jets such as the F-16.

This is quite upsetting, either way... I mean, even by air asset standards, a single jet?

Personally I think including as many as feasible (by that I mean more than 1 but not so many you lose quality), then let the player decide how they wish to play.

After all, isn't this claimed to be a military sandbox? ;s

This is quite upsetting, either way... I mean, even by air asset standards, a single jet?

Personally I think including as many as feasible (by that I mean more than 1 but not so many you lose quality), then let the player decide how they wish to play.

After all, isn't this claimed to be a military sandbox? ;s

All is needed 1 attack jet and 2 fighter jets per fraction (Blue and Red).

Don't want anyone to get me wrong I respect BIS work, like the aspect of flying... and from ground point of view (probably even better from here) when you fear the sky and the feeling you know...

No, they have 12 posts, master gunnery sergeant ;)

Even i don't think BI will get "hurt" by this decision of limiting assets to catch deadlines..an unhappy

customer is..an unhappy customer and he's not the only imho..

Please also understand the we *may* see additional content be added in through the campaign episodic DLCs. That *may* include additional aircraft, armored, and small arms coming our way through the coming months after the full release of the game.