Sign in to follow this  
On_Sabbatical

ISON thread - coming soon to our skies

Hi,

I think you guys heard about the incoming comet to our solar system this year,it's name is C2012/S1 (ISON),it's right now somewhere between Mars and Jupiter and it's moving towards the sun at the speed of 77000km/h.

They call it the "comet of the century",and NASA says that it will be the most brilliant comet that has ever come to our solar system since 1965 !! i am really excited about seeing this,and decided to create this thread so everyone who is interested in this kind of things could post here anything related to it,and maybe some photos when it will visible to us starting from October to December 2013 !

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C/2012_S1

I hope we can get a good view on this comet at least once, my son (6) is very interested in astronomy and it would be awesome for him to witness the appeareance of this comet.

Awesome stuff, had the telescope out a few nights a month this summer

28787_10150186883230151_3344694_n.jpg

:)

Look forward to Oct-Dec to see this thing in the night sky.

I member in 1997 when hale-bopp was held in the sky for all to see with its distinct trail, that was great, hope this is the same.

And lets hope there are no Heavens Gate types thinking anything stupid either, a slight blot on that last event.

Heaven's Gate? What? No alien spaceship in the tail? No space vampires? No zombies? VERY disappointed!!!!

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/lifeforce/

Long time ago in a galaxy far far away when films delivered what they promised ROFL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqNquDlAanE

Edited by Mattar_Tharkari

.. ummm, right ... anyway .....

Jeza, what type of equipment do you have for getting that type of image, is that your own image? Always fascinated by people that have thier own observation kit. Somone not far from a friend of mine has a small observatory 1 man dome telescope in the garden ... I really want to ask if I can use it :)

.. ummm, right ... anyway .....

Jeza, what type of equipment do you have for getting that type of image, is that your own image? Always fascinated by people that have thier own observation kit. Somone not far from a friend of mine has a small observatory 1 man dome telescope in the garden ... I really want to ask if I can use it :)

Yeah I'd ask you wont regret it!

And yup that shot is mine, the telescope is Celestron 76az cheap as well think only £100-£120 and the pic is simply taken with my Iphone (note steady hand and patience needed for that part!).

To take a decent photo of the comet you will need a motor drive on the telescope so you can get a long exposure of the tail, magnification isn't important, you will need a wide field of view with this one. With basic equipment just swap the eyepiece for a camera adaptor - you can then mount an SLR type camera. More basic iPhone adaptor?: watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqpVyArNLy4

It would also work with Binos if you clamp them to a camera tripod.

Any requests to borrow my telescope will be politely refused.

Yeah I'd ask you wont regret it!

I think I might, he seems a pretty keen enthusiast, large section of garden was re worked to fit in the dome, have to respect someone's dedication as far as that's concerned. Just need some neighbourly bribe tactics and should be good to go :)

Tomorrow,the comet will reach perihelion ! if it survives,we will be able to see it during december and january !

How soon after it makes its close pass of the sun should it be possible to see ISON with the naked eye?

Forget about it ... apparently it fizzled,and only some small fragment is alive now !

It was going to give us a nice show during the first half of december !

No she didn:rolleyes: report's show she came back from around the sun and is heading back into space, first she whas dimm but she starts to brighten up. only have to wait till she gets further from the sun to see if she get hear tail back(lost when goining around the sun) but she made it,thats the best news:yay:

Yeah but not much left - not going to be the Xmas show we were looking forward to. Does this mean Jesus isn't coming back this year? I suppose the Popes relieved, not been in the job long enough to really achieve anything yet.

It's a shame really, guess the next interesting thing happening outside our atmo this month will be the Chinese Lunar rover landing.

Well tragedy aside, I think this is appropriate:

sun_son.jpg

I waited all year just for it to end up f**king throw itself into the Sun...thanks Obama.

Can something that small compared to the power of the sun really end up any other way? Snowball at a furnace to me :)

BTW Slatts I though your post was worthy of an entry in the funny quotes thread :) *shakes fist at Obama too*