Sign in to follow this  
big_t

1rst Person Breathing noises way too loud and unrealistic.

In real army every fucking soldier must be able to run 3km in specific time and without any problem. Maybe sprinting is OK, but typical jog shouldn't tire so fast...

yes certainly without problems but not without breathing :p

i'd love to see a more seamless progression of breathing intensity and maybe some volume tweaks though. i didn't notice that gagging close to vomit thing much lately so i thought they were actually already working on it. tweaks yes but removal of breathing altogether would be too much in my opinion. it's good to have your character feel human and have feedback for his limits.

BIS, introduce exessive / faster heartbeat when under fire (firedNear EH?). that'd make the game more believable, overall.

Breathing noises are fine in first person. Believe me, you run as long as they do without stopping, and listen to yourself gasp and choke for air. Maybe your volume was up all the way? Other than that, i would love to see a feature where when a player comes under fire, or something along the lines of life threat, the fatigue effects kick in extra adrenaline so the player can run just a little bit longer.

The breathing noises at times seem like a unrealistic gameplay mechanic for stamina. Ask a few military guys to volunteer, strap mics to them and give them weights similar to the weights players will use in game. Put a distance tracker on them and connect it with the mics. Then get them to run around town. :)

---------- Post added at 22:46 ---------- Previous post was at 22:44 ----------

BIS, introduce exessive / faster heartbeat when under fire (firedNear EH?). that'd make the game more believable, overall.

You mean the fast heart beat a player gets when being shot at without extended Armor?

Find myself using 3pv just to get rid of the breathing sounds. The problem is that they're way overdone. Town down the volume a bit and they wouldn't be so bad. Truth is that you rarely notice yourself breathing because your focused on other tasks.

Find myself using 3pv just to get rid of the breathing sounds. The problem is that they're way overdone. Town down the volume a bit and they wouldn't be so bad. Truth is that you rarely notice yourself breathing because your focused on other tasks.

Before we make any major changes, we need to have accurate and credible information on the breathing sounds and stamina of real soldiers.

Before we make any major changes, we need to have accurate and credible information on the breathing sounds and stamina of real soldiers.

as A3 is no longer a simulator, we don't need to fully rely on RL data. so a credible, likely the best solution would be something inbetween the blurry lines of arcade and sim.

and yes, shots / ricochet landing / flying by units should affect them in various ways.

as A3 is no longer a simulator, we don't need to fully rely on RL data. so a credible, likely the best solution would be something inbetween the blurry lines of arcade and sim.

and yes, shots / ricochet landing / flying by units should affect them in various ways.

Arma 3 is a simulator, a sandbox, a modding game, a survival game, and many other things to many other people. The developers still care about realism and it is evident with what is added and what the community wants on the feedback tracker. It simulates combined Arms warfare as a dev put it. Realism has always been a huge part of Arma games and is a huge part of Arma 3. If you don't want realism, thousands of games exist for you to play without realistic aspects. Arma 3 developers are few compared to other games which do less than things in game than Arma 3, and because of this they cannot do everything at once. It will take time but we will likely down the line see an advanced and realistic medical system, having the soldier replace the barrel on the NLAW, and other things people want. Arma is not a release another game every year series. It's a heavily support game for 5 years each time a new game is made.

A simulator does not mean everything is simulated, flight simulator doesn't simulate fusion in the sun now does it? We don't need some arcadic stamina and breathing noises. The developers added breathing noises and stamina for realism sake. The breathing noises were ment the same way as the stance indicator. Because you are not physically in the soldiers body, the game has to provide other ways to show you that your body is realistically affected.

Edited by ProGamer

Arma 3 is a simulator, a sandbox, a modding game, a survival game, and many other things to many other people. The developers still care about realism and it is evident with what is added and what the community wants on the feedback tracker. It simulates combined Arms warfare as a dev put it. Realism has always been a huge part of Arma games and is a huge part of Arma 3. If you don't want realism, thousands of games exist for you to play without realistic aspects.

A simulator does not mean everything is simulated, flight simulator doesn't simulate fusion in the sun now does it? We don't need some arcadic stamina and breathing noises. The developers added breathing noises and stamina for realism sake. The breathing noises were ment the same way as the stance indicator. Because you are not physically in the soldiers body, the game has to provide other ways to show you that your body is realistically affected.

don't overstate things for the sake of them. A2 was considered a sim as long as there was a word "simulator" on product's representational attributes (on web, game box, etc.). IIRC pettks clearly stated that A3 is not a sim as it wasn't marketed as such from very beginning. however, some curious fans found remains of "simulator" label on A3 official web, but such details were removed.

I suppose the conclusion is obvious and the path A3 took isn't misleading, as you present it. people aside, let's talk about official details.

don't overstate things for the sake of them. A2 was considered a sim as long as there was a word "simulator" on product's representational attributes (on web, game box, etc.). IIRC pettks clearly stated that A3 is not a sim as it wasn't marketed as such from very beginning. however, some curious fans found remains of "simulator" label on A3 official web, but such details were removed.

I suppose the conclusion is obvious and the path A3 took isn't misleading, as you present it. people aside, let's talk about official details.

Arma 3's path is realism but vehicle aesthetics are left to a little artisic design. You can't change the core audience of sim players that Arma has.

But in the sense of what you think a sim is, Arma 2 would not be one. Arma 3 is actually more realistic in a lot of places and lacking in others due to lack of resources and time.

BIS has the feedback tracker for feedback on the game. And people have given feedback that they want more realism. http://feedback.arma3.com/plugin.php?page=Vote/list_bugs BIS listens to their customers. Over time we will see many things fixed to be more realistic. Millions of people and reviewers think Arma is a sim and that's not going to change. Arma's general audience is sim player and that's not changing either.

Now more so on topic. The breathing noises are ment to show you your soldier is realistically affected by weight. The same as the stance indicator shows your stance because in real life, you know what position your body is in.

Removed double post

Edited by Piru

Arma 3's path is realism but vehicle aesthetics are left to a little artisic design. You can't change the core audience of sim players that Arma has.

But in the sense of what you think a sim is, Arma 2 would not be one. Arma 3 is actually more realistic in a lot of places and lacking in others due to lack of resources and time.

BIS has the feedback tracker for feedback on the game. And people have given feedback that they want more realism. http://feedback.arma3.com/plugin.php?page=Vote/list_bugs BIS listens to their customers. Over time we will see many things fixed to be more realistic. Millions of people and reviewers think Arma is a sim and that's not going to change. Arma's general audience is sim player and that's not changing either.

Now more so on topic. The breathing noises are ment to show you your soldier is realistically affected by weight. The same as the stance indicator shows your stance because in real life, you know what position your body is in.

Not asking for the removal, just towning down so it doesnt get annoying. Getting info of the soldiers state can be done without it being intrusive and just plain silly since it IS a game (as the stance indicator shows).

About the people wanting realism part? I want a working direction/distance of sounds. Usable bipods and weapon rests. Working bullet penetration. Climbing small obstacles. Better physics and terrain having an effect on movement. Maybe even the ability to reload on the move and tactical reloads actually leaving a bullet in the chamber. Oh and not to forget a better wounding system... Stuff that actually impacts the core gameplay. Instead I get puffing and panting dialed up to 11. :p

Not asking for the removal, just towning down so it doesnt get annoying. Getting info of the soldiers state can be done without it being intrusive and just plain silly since it IS a game (as the stance indicator shows).

About the people wanting realism part? I want a working direction/distance of sounds. Usable bipods and weapon rests. Working bullet penetration. Climbing small obstacles. Better physics and terrain having an effect on movement. Maybe even the ability to reload on the move and tactical reloads actually leaving a bullet in the chamber. Oh and not to forget a better wounding system... Stuff that actually impacts the core gameplay. Instead I get puffing and panting dialed up to 11. :p

Don't see how realism would remove it, what i said was finding out what a realistic amount of noise from a soldier was. Bipods, bullet penetration and all those others are realistic features as well and we will likely see them down the road as well.

I don't know about you guys, but I start breathing heavily before I'm tired. If anything, it *stops* you being tired by getting more oxygen to your limbs. Irl, I cycle uphill quite a lot to get to and from work each day, and regularly find it hard to focus on any sound other than my own breathing by the time I've reached the top, ergo making it 'louder' to my ears than the cars that pass me by. I can see why people would dislike it as a feature, but I don't think its 'unrealistic' to have someone breathe loudly (in 1st person) and heavily during exercise or strenuous situations like combat.

I don't know about you guys, but I start breathing heavily before I'm tired. If anything, it *stops* you being tired by getting more oxygen to your limbs. Irl, I cycle uphill quite a lot to get to and from work each day, and regularly find it hard to focus on any sound other than my own breathing by the time I've reached the top, ergo making it 'louder' to my ears than the cars that pass me by. I can see why people would dislike it as a feature, but I don't think its 'unrealistic' to have someone breathe loudly (in 1st person) and heavily during exercise or strenuous situations like combat.

I agree, but then who is *that* conscious of their own breathing? Like head-bob, it's something your brain filters out. My solution would be to have only 1 level of breathing noise, a mid-breath one, and quite quiet. Otherwise, IMO, it's like having someone else breathing into your ears.

And, on that last note, filtering the breathing sound sample to sound muffled would also help hugely.

Edited by DMarkwick

I agree, but then who is *that* conscious of their own breathing? Like head-bob, it's something your brain filters out. My solution would be to have only 1 level of breathing noise, a mid-breath one, and quite quiet. Otherwise, IMO, it's like having someone else breathing into your ears.

Spot on. In reality your own heavy breathing does not annoy you, as someone else breathing in your ears would. It can be simulated on a much lower level and still function as realisitc feedback of the soldiers state.

Realisticly we should be damaging our hearing due to the amount of gun/rocket/artillery/whatnot sound were exposing ourselves into but since its a sim we are not.

I think most people are annoyed about the coughing whiny sound that sounds like the character is dying or having asthma.

+1

I just starting playing a little more and the breathing (if you can call it that) / tired sound it's extremely annoying. The guy grunts like a exhausted pig in pain, never heard such a thing in my life coming from a human being, and i actually do have asthma.

While it's true that if you get really tired you would find yourself occasionally making a conscious effort to silence your breathing in order to hear better (this would happen in a mostly silent enviroment like a forest), the sound of self-breathing never reaches these levels of loud pig-like grunting, it's just ridiculous.

I did my share of hiking so i just can't see how anyone can find these sounds as being "realistic". My understanding is that they are in place as an indicator, that's fine & dandy but please just add a separate volume slider for them, obviously i'm not the only one who thinks he'll be fine without such massive "help".

Unrealistic? Loud?

lol, it's completely subjective. It puts me in the moment, and I know I sound like a dying asthmatic cow when I'm really winded.

The sounds do being far to soon with basic loadout and downhill running, however.

I don't mind the loudness of the breathing as much as the choking / gasping noise which is entirely overdone. Faster breathing with just occasional gasping would be more appropriate I think.

Totaly agree

In addition,....I am just standing, perfectly still and every 5 seconds I let out a gasp or huffy breath. Much to audible.