Sign in to follow this  
cybrid

The best rock band

I can't believe no one mentioned Motörhead. wow.gif

Well... I'm going to do it now. smile.gif

The best rock band is... *drumroll* Motörhead.

I saw them live last Saturday and they kicked ass. I didn't think they would play 'Ace of Spades' but they did and it was abso-fu***ng-lutely great. Lemmy said that the crowd was awesome and it was their best gig on the tour so far. smile.gif

Lemmy rules. tounge.gif

Dire Straights !! Especialy live !

Rage against the machine

and in my young years Front 242 tounge.gif

Think they are all gone now  sad.gif

Band still together ...

Not actualy a band, but almost all CD s from the cool Paris Restaurant/cafe Buddah Bar ! Especialy the "dinner" cd's and to name THE best Buddah Bar II "Dinner". Maybe i m only one that knows them .. then again, maybe not.

Nirvana, i would give my right arm to travel back in time and be at the MTV unplugged koncert (yeah i know, i wouldnt be able to masturbate but fuck it im going to see Nirvana, and besides i think i could train my left arm to do the job)

And D.A.D (Disneyland after dark) great danish rock band in their early days, but they have gone soft lately sad.gif

Oh and of course The Kovenant, my new favourite band, i cant really explain their sound, one of my friends who is a real music geek says that they are Blackmetal, but they have themselves stated that they are progressive Space-metal, well its keyboards mixed with screaming, opera and guitar, great stuff  biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (PiNs_Da_Smoka @ Aug. 03 2002,22:09)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I love when people say that bands sold out. Its great stuff. Let me ask you this, why do you think they "sold out". In your opinion, what is the exact definition. From waht i see, here is what happens when people say a band "sold out".

Well, lets start slow. A band, lets say Slipknot, as someone just said, they sold out. Lets check out their short lived career. I am, first off, a fan. The release their first album, full of angerd guitars, pounding bass lines, and furious drums. It was an album like no one ever heard before. And before someone says, Slipknot are just a bunch of early 20 morons that supposedly have fake anger, they are all over 30, if not over 35 or so. Back to the album, they release an album like no other ever before. And they start to tour more heavily, other then ozzfest, and bring it to a wider audience. After a nice little wait, they make another album. What does it have on it? Angered guitars, pounding bass lines, and furious drums. It was an extension of their first album, which avoided them from the sophmore jinx as so many bands have come upon. So i ask you, where did they sell out? Hmm...because they have a video on MTV that barely gets played? Possibly because they got out of 300 person clubs and started playing for tens of thousands of people?

I'm in a band, and if i had the chance to release a major album and make millions of dollars, and play for thousands of people, as opposed to 200-400 people, then i would. Would i be selling out? HELL NO!!! I'd be making a living at what i love to do. It jsut so happens that it pays well. But according to small minded fools, doing all this is selling out. Because they have to pay an extra $20 for a ticket to their concert.

Another example, and better, is KoRn. I am HUGE fan of their old stuff, and love the new stuff. Their music is so powerful its ridiculous. And thats what i love. But once their self-titled debut came out, they made it big. And because they made some TRL appearences and released tons of awsome videos, made millions, and also play for thousands upon thousands of people every other night, they sold out? Thats just dumb.

Lets take this example and make it a little more fitting for this board. Ok, so BIS make a little game called Operation Flashpoint. They LOVE to model, program and create things on computers. They finally find a company to release the game for them (we all know that little mistake biggrin.gif). And it gets released, its an instant hit. We have seen what some of the guys have made before, atari games. So, because they released this game, made tons of money, and had their hard work shown to millions of people, they sold out? Because what they love to do was shown to more then a few hundred people, THEY SOLD OUT!?!?!? Come on people, if you sold Hondas all your life, then got the chance to sell Ferrari's forever and make tons of commision, would you not do it? Or would you keep selling hondas for prides sake? come on people, think before you say someone sold out. You are not in their shoes, you do not know how it works. The music business is a bitch, and its alot harder then it seems. There are hundreds or GREAT bands out there, that won't, and will never get a record deal. And you know they want it. If they were offered one, they would all take it, you know why? Because its what they love to do and they can get paid for it. Sold out? Think again people......<span id='postcolor'>

Like i said, Slipknot may have sold out but the music still kicks ass

I may have a different opinion to you on this, but the way i see it they have sold out. First, a massive merchandising campaign, obviously clothing and stuff is not at all a bad thing, but slipknot have so many different corporate images and brands that are thrown all over thousands of bits of clothing. Now i know a number of young kids who say they are hardcore slipknot fans, but really, they're into beenie man and the baha men, with a bit of Kylie chucked in. When impressionable teenyboppers go out and buy the merchandise of a band they don't even listen to, thats when you think the band have sold out, because their label has advertised to a mass audience, with full permission of the band. No longer is slipknot a band for the metal community, its a band for everyone. And quite frankly, many, including myself, don't want the music to blend with pop, because pop sucks.

Well, its kind of hard to avoid the blend of the genres when slipknot, and a number of your other favorite bands appear in teen magazines such as smash hits alongside Boyzine or whoever - why, because they want to appeal to a much wider market, the pop industry, which the fans don't want, but who cares about them because theres shitloads of money involved. I know it happens because it happens sometimes with me, but bands like slipknot used to be ''your'' band, in that, you and only a few others listened to them and maybe related to them, but as soon as they see little girls with both a Britney and a slipknot cd in there little see through handbags, its no longer ''their'' band. Eventually slipknot will forget what their fans will like and instead move onto what the pop industry likes - less noise, more love, no masks, more poncy swearing etc. It may be a cliche, but the fans got slipknot to were they are, they had cult status way before iowa, but i'm sure like me, a lot of their fans are a bit naffed off about slipknots marketing scheme. I'm pretty sure you'd like to sekll out, but chances are you're band is nothing like slipknot, who had a massive following even before Wait and bleed, they could've just expanded this fan base within the metal community instead of going straight for the pop industry, they'd still make their millions with millions more from all these solo efforts coming out.

Korn i don't think i said they sold out, i just said their comeback has sucked along with their new album. Which is true.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Hovmand @ Aug. 05 2002,13:30)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Oh and of course The Kovenant, my new favourite band, i cant really explain their sound, one of my friends who is a real music geek says that they are Blackmetal<span id='postcolor'>

Kovenant=blackmetal? Hahahahaha biggrin.gif

Marduk, Immortal, Setherial etc. are bands that can be called blackmetal. But not Kovenant. IMHO they are what they call themselves: space-metal but not really the same kind of space-metal as Orgy. Kovenant is a funny band though and I like 'em. smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (R. Gerschwarzenge @ Aug. 05 2002,12:55)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Hovmand @ Aug. 05 2002,13:30)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Oh and of course The Kovenant, my new favourite band, i cant really explain their sound, one of my friends who is a real music geek says that they are Blackmetal<span id='postcolor'>

Kovenant=blackmetal? Hahahahaha biggrin.gif

Marduk, Immortal, Setherial etc. are bands that can be called blackmetal. But not Kovenant. IMHO they are what they call themselves: space-metal but not really the same kind of space-metal as Orgy. Kovenant is a funny band though and I like 'em. smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

OMG you know them? thats a first wow.gif

How many of their albums have you heard?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Hovmand @ Aug. 05 2002,15:58)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">OMG you know them? thats a first  wow.gif

How many of their albums have you heard?<span id='postcolor'>

I have the Animatronic and my friend has 2(?) older albums. But I can't remember what the older Kovenant (when they still were called Covenant and not Kovenant) sounds like. Maybe it was a little bit more blackmetallish.

They made:

In times before the light (it sucks)

Nexus Polaris (freaking great, chariots of thunder rocks)

Animatronic (Masterpiece, i listen to it at least once a day)

On their first two albums they where called Covenant, then they got sued cause some swedish electronic band was called the same.

They actually won a grammy in Norway.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Hovmand @ Aug. 05 2002,12:30)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Nirvana, i would give my right arm to travel back in time and be at the MTV unplugged koncert (yeah i know, i wouldnt be able to masturbate but fuck it im going to see Nirvana, and besides i think i could train my left arm to do the job)<span id='postcolor'>

Exactly the same here, i saw Dave Grohl (dNirvana's drummer) on Rock Werchter, a festival in Belgium, that was soooooo cool. Me and my friends just totally freaked out, we made pics of him but they aren't developed yet.

I've seen Unplugged in NY on television a couple times and i gotta say that it's awesome, i really like the part where he looks so weird at the ending of "Where did you sleep last night".

Rage against the machine is that good eh? Mind telling of some of their best tunes so I can "sample" them?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">because their label has advertised to a mass audience, with full permission of the band<span id='postcolor'>

Now THAT is a joke, right? I mean come on, its pretty damn funny. Do you really know anything about the music business? Now, i'm not saying i do, because my band is struggling right now, and we sure as hell don't have a record deal. But a few of my friends do, whom of which got signed to RoadRunner Records last year, Five Pointe O is their name (shameless plug biggrin.gif). And you would be suprised at how much gets done WITHOUT the band. And they are nothing close the Slipknot as far as fans and record sales. But they are on the same label, and they know what goes down. And it isn't confined to RoadRunner, god no. All record labels do just about everything without the band. You know what the bands job is? To play the shows and record the albums. Thats about it. Do they do the advertising? No. Will they? No. One main reason labels push it out to farther audiences, is simply to try and make money. Its not the band, its the label. And good lord, i have yet to see Slipknot on some girly magazine. I'd like some proof on that one.

And even if for some fr off reason, you see some little girl with a slipknot AND britney spears album, that don't mean a thing. Have you ever been to a Slipknot show? Seriously? Because, when i saw them here in Chicago, the show was pure insanity. Not a single 13 year old girl in sight. Nothing but alcohol induced meatheads, which is, unfortunately, the core audience. Things like records sales, who they go to more specific, don't mean as much to a band as who comes to their shows. Why are they doing what they do? Because they are musicians, and they love to play. Thats all their is to it. Don't blame the band for what the record company does. You really should try and learn a little something before you judge it so quick. Seriously man, i've seen this happen. I have no reason to lie. Take the truth for what it is before you speak lies.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (second_draw @ Aug. 03 2002,13:53)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">portishead<span id='postcolor'>

I like Portishead, although I fear they won't stand the test of time. And they are hardly "rock"...

Isn't it ridiculous how everyone thinks their favorite band is sooo original and unique?

"Noone sings like that"

"Noone plays like that"

"No one writes lyrics like that"

"No one plays the guitar like that

"No one has the evil power that XXX do"

etc. etc.

I respect how a band will stay with you through a period of your life, how it appeals to you for some odd reason.

That has happened to everybody who listens to music.

Just don't claim it is the best band in the world or that it has something to say that no other band has.

Or I will kill you in the name of the holy Saint Growup!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (PiNs_Da_Smoka @ Aug. 05 2002,21:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">because their label has advertised to a mass audience, with full permission of the band<span id='postcolor'>

Now THAT is a joke, right? I mean come on, its pretty damn funny. Do you really know anything about the music business? Now, i'm not saying i do, because my band is struggling right now, and we sure as hell don't have a record deal. But a few of my friends do, whom of which got signed to RoadRunner Records last year, Five Pointe O is their name (shameless plug biggrin.gif). And you would be suprised at how much gets done WITHOUT the band. And they are nothing close the Slipknot as far as fans and record sales. But they are on the same label, and they know what goes down. And it isn't confined to RoadRunner, god no. All record labels do just about everything without the band. You know what the bands job is? To play the shows and record the albums. Thats about it. Do they do the advertising? No. Will they? No. One main reason labels push it out to farther audiences, is simply to try and make money. Its not the band, its the label. And good lord, i have yet to see Slipknot on some girly magazine. I'd like some proof on that one.

And even if for some fr off reason, you see some little girl with a slipknot AND britney spears album, that don't mean a thing. Have you ever been to a Slipknot show? Seriously? Because, when i saw them here in Chicago, the show was pure insanity. Not a single 13 year old girl in sight. Nothing but alcohol induced meatheads, which is, unfortunately, the core audience. Things like records sales, who they go to more specific, don't mean as much to a band as who comes to their shows. Why are they doing what they do? Because they are musicians, and they love to play. Thats all their is to it. Don't blame the band for what the record company does. You really should try and learn a little something before you judge it so quick. Seriously man, i've seen this happen. I have no reason to lie. Take the truth for what it is before you speak lies.<span id='postcolor'>

Well, surely if the band, especially a band that say that they would never sell out, and are in it for the music, would want a little input before little kids can buy corey masks in toys r 'us and the full range of slipknot dolls become the focal point of any toddlers fun. Clothes, cd's and posters are one thing, but all the other shite in the slipknot marketing scheme is a totally different thing. What other bands i ask you have had dolls made of them (that have been sold in toys r ' us and other such places), take that, backstreet boys, well, thats all i've seen but i'm sure theres lots of cheesy pop dolls. I'm pretty sure Slipknot know whats going on with all this, and if they were truly against becoming teeny metal, they'd probably want that stuff taken off the shelves and burnt, or at least sold only in magazines and not in toy shops. Surely roadrunner records allows slipknot some input into into advertising, being there star band. Maybe not giving the label a fully comprehensive marketing review, but shit, even WWF wrestlers are given a list of merchandise which they can say yes or no to.

I've seen slipknot play in Cardiff ages ago. I go to concerts and stuff regularily in Germany where i live. Haven't ever been to America either, so i haven't seen any big bands before they're famous.

Unsuccessful bands play for the music, because if they admitted they played for the money, they'd look pathetic because they wouldn't be making much and would look very small time. Of course, all big time musicians love the music too but money is a massive part then.

Well Pantera and Slayer are metal not rock, but they're both still together and both are amazing. tounge.gif

Ok, Slipknot does have dolls made, i believe. But they ARE NOT sold in Toys 'R' Us. They are sold at metal goth stores like "Hot Topic" if you know what that is. And once again, regardless of who is listening to Slipknot, they will NEVER become teeny pop. I mean, have you heard their music or what? I mean, its gonna be a dark day in heaven when you see Slipknot on TRL. If you are worried about that, don't, it won't happen.

Here is a point i should of cleared up a little better. Although not a fan, Kid Rock said it best.... "Of course all bands are in it for the music, thats why we're musicians. Why are you REALLY in it? For the money and the chicks." That sums it up, all bands play for the music, its what they love. But they allure of getting money to do it is what drags you in even more. Its undeniabley true, but i wouldn't hold that against a band. Why do you work? Because its what you love to do? Maybe. But more importantly, you get paid for it. Its that simple.

<span style='font-size:19pt;line-height:100%'>Nashville Pussy</span>

61154.jpg99997.jpg

<span style='font-size:19pt;line-height:100%'>The Reverend Horton Heat</span>

00300805.jpg73161.jpg

I saw these two bands last night and they really know how to rock.  Nashville Pussy is like AC/DC, Motorhead, ZZ Top all rolled into one, they sing songs about booze and drugs and motherfuckers, and they're put on a real good live show.  There's 2 chicks in the band, and the guitar chick started fully clothed at the beginning of their set and she ended up in a bikini top and g-string.  They're really fun and the rock hard.

The Reverend Horton Heat is something I can't really describe.  Think 1950s rock n' roll, speed it up, and mosh to it.  It's so rocking music, it's truely the last rock n' roll band out there.  The stand-up bass is really cool, and the drummer is truely amazing.

After the show last night, I got to meet the bassist and drumber of Reverend Horton Heat and all the members of Nashville Pussy, and they're the coolest bunch of people I've ever met.  I wanted to buy the singer of Nashville Pussy a shot, and I asked him what he drank, he was so stoned he just stood there for a minute looking at the bar, and he couldn't decide what he wanted to drink.

-=Die Alive=-

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Die Alive @ Aug. 07 2002,01:16)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"><span style='font-size:19pt;line-height:100%'>The Reverend Horton Heat</span>

00300805.jpg73161.jpg<span id='postcolor'>

Hey i think saw those guys on The Drew Carey show once, i think they sounded a little punk? Or is it just me that has absolutly no grasp in music whatsoever?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (MonkeyGoat @ Aug. 06 2002,13:19)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Well Pantera and Slayer are metal not rock, but they're both still together and both are amazing. tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

I second that! Add Pro Pain...