Sign in to follow this  
cybrid

The best rock band

The idea here is to nominate the best rock band which is not necessarily your favorite. I sure as hell don't want to see any Blink 182 here biggrin.gif

Oh, and I hope this topic isn't too lame *cough*

Lemme see...

I'll just list a few of my favorites...

(in no particular order)

Hoobastank,Rival Schools,Queens Of The Stone Age,Rammstein,KoRn,Muse,Incubus,The Offspring,System Of A Down...

Couldn't pick one out of these really...

If I could I'd vote Nirvana,since i really,really like them,but they're not among us anymore...

(ps:Haven't added some belgian bands,and other fairly unknown bands like punk and metal bands,since they're slightly 'obscure' to say the least)

Hmmm, does this list include all rock genres, like 'Alternative' and 'metal' and so on?

If so, some of my picks would be; 'Matthew Good Band', 'Stone Temple Pilots', 'Metallica', and just about anything else, I like alot of music..............

Tyler

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">advocatexxx Posted on Aug. 02 2002,22:53

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

98 Degrees ! Oh shut up, you know you love them too. <span id='postcolor'>

I hope to god thats sarcasm

Any I could name a few bands that I think rule!

AC/DC

Aerosmith

U2

The Rolling Stones

The Who

Supertramp

....and many more I am too lazy to think of right now.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (placebo @ Aug. 03 2002,05:29)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hanson.<span id='postcolor'>

That explains a lot, Placebo biggrin.gif

Hum... tough one.

Pink Floyd (even without Waters)

That's about all I can think of. There is lots of music I can enjoy on the radio..but dont ask me to tell you who it is!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Supertramp<span id='postcolor'>

Ugghhh....

You actually like them?, they're even worse than Hanson. tounge.gif

U2?

They've been a bunch of pop wankers since The Joshua Tree.

The Stones are still pretty good though...

Supertramp and U2 rule! how do you think they got so bloody big and survived so damn long. In fact I think it was one of the members of No Doubt that said "U2 has set the standard for what a rock and roll band should be..." And since the Joshua Tree U2 has released to other excelant *spelling* albums "Achtung Baby" and "All that you can't leave behind"

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (placebo @ Aug. 02 2002,10:29)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hanson.<span id='postcolor'>

dead08.gif

id say ac/dc, or guns & roses are the best rockbands ever, but Jimmy Hendricks beats 'em both

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (timmy @ Aug. 03 2002,05:23)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">id say ac/dc, or guns & roses are the best rockbands ever, but Jimmy Hendricks beats 'em both<span id='postcolor'>

You mean Hendrix right? If "The Jimmy Hendrix Experience" were still together then I'd prolly agree, again with Guns 'n' Roses I'd mostly agree, except that they now consist of solely Axl Rose AFAIK from the original lineup so although I love them dearly again they probably won't count, ac/dc I would strongly disagree with, I've always despised them, extremely turgid band smile.gif

If I were to be serious I would give a list along the lines of :-

Metallica

Iron Maiden

REM (they're still together right?)

Pearl Jam

That's about all I can think of for now.

Hanson! Whats so bad about them? They are right up there with Vinaila Ice and rap!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (placebo @ Aug. 02 2002,11:41)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (timmy @ Aug. 03 2002,05:23)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">id say ac/dc, or guns & roses are the best rockbands ever, but Jimmy Hendricks beats 'em both<span id='postcolor'>

You mean Hendrix right? If "The Jimmy Hendrix Experience" were still together then I'd prolly agree, again with Guns 'n' Roses I'd mostly agree, except that they now consist of solely Axl Rose AFAIK from the original lineup so although I love them dearly again they probably won't count, ac/dc I would strongly disagree with, I've always despised them, extremely turgid band smile.gif

If I were to be serious I would give a list along the lines of :-

Metallica

Iron Maiden

REM (they're still together right?)

Pearl Jam

That's about all I can think of for now.<span id='postcolor'>

yes, i meant hendrix, and as for acdc, theyve kinda grown on me, i used to despise them but over the last few years, the more i listend to there songs, the more i like them.

I also forgot about Pearl Jam, they're most definatly in the top 5

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hanson! Whats so bad about them? They are right up there with Vinaila Ice and rap! <span id='postcolor'>

duke, i take it your being sarcastic, when you say they're right up there with vanilla ice and rap.

Overall, rap is my favorite type of music, surprise surprise(look at my avatar).

But im still open minded to all types of music, for example i dont just say "country sucks" and not even give it a chance. I dont like country over all that much, but theyre are a few good country songs, i also like some reggae, and i also like some older rock, like the beatles, and jefferson ariplane.

My least favorite is probably goth, or industrial music

I do not like rap at all. Nor is do I like country. I like Folk, Irsish music biggrin.gif ,.....I like all kinds of stuff but country and rap do not make the list. What is bad about rap is that some people play it loud in theri cars as if everybody wanted to hear it, and really they only look cool to themsleves. wink.gif

Metallica. Have they "officially" broken up yet anyway? I know Jason left them (I think it was Jason)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Duke_of_Ray @ Aug. 02 2002,12:14)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I do not like rap at all. Nor is do I like country. I like Folk, Irsish music biggrin.gif ,.....I like all kinds of stuff but country and rap do not make the list. What is bad about rap is that some people play it loud in theri cars as if everybody wanted to hear it, and really they only look cool to themsleves. wink.gif<span id='postcolor'>

i like loud things smile.gif

especially motors, Porsche motors to be exact

go here and turn up your sub woofer all the way biggrin.gifhttp://www.porsche.co.uk/english....ery.htm

the 911 gt2 on the bottom right is the best IMO, but it has to be LOUD smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (placebo @ Aug. 03 2002,06:41)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">REM (they're still together right?)<span id='postcolor'>

I think the drummer left after his brain surgery. but not sure about it though....he had some problem in Switzerland and had to be hospitalized.

I'm not a big rock group fan, but since we are looking for best unchanged, my vote goes to Rolling Stones.maybe it's because I watched too much of 'Tour of Duty' in early years of mylife, but there song 'Turn me black' (?) gets stuck in my head.

if it wasn't for the requisite that the band is still together, my vote goes to the Beatles.

and on lighter note, I'd vote for Bon Jovi tounge.gif (easy listening)

TooL - Some of the best guitar riffs and melodies of ALL bands. The singer, maynard, can release a fury of a scream like no other, but can croon a sweet sweet cry that could practically bring a tear to your eye. The bass lines are so powerful and mind blowing i just don't know what to say. And the drums are so hardcore and rythmic its pure insanity.

Metallica - Indeed, the new crap sucks. But you cannot deny the power and influence of their old stuff. And yes, Jason did leave, and he was a bad mofo. Although no Cliff Burton, fist Metallica bassist, he cna play with the best of em. And if you've ever seen em live, you know that he can put up a backup vocal like no one else. Lets face it, Metallica is a classic, and always will be.

Led Zepplin - Sad to see they are not on the list yet. I mean, i can't even explain them. Jimmy Page's guitar riffs will make you pull your hair out, and then all of a sudden make you want to cry. Robert Plants voice is one of a kind, can't really explain it. John Bonham, what can ya say? Simply one of the coolest drummers ever.

Those are the only bands i can think of that are really great in their own ways. I have many others that i love, heres a small list.....

Deftones <---Favorite band

System of a Down

KoRn

Coal Chamber

Dave Matthews Band

A Perfect Circle

Red Hot Chili Peppers

Nirvana

Staind

Flock of Seagulls

Alice in Chains

Soundgarden

There are hundreds more i want to list, but i'll leave it at that biggrin.gif

P.S.

Flock of Seagulls was a joke wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RalphWiggum @ Aug. 03 2002,06:47)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">my vote goes to Rolling Stones.maybe it's because I watched too much of 'Tour of Duty' in early years of mylife, but there song 'Turn me black' (?) gets stuck in my head.<span id='postcolor'>

"Paint it black" smile.gif

PiNs the question was best band still together, that rules out some of yours.

Can I say the Berlin Philharmonic?

Oh wait...

I'd say Pink Floyd, U2, REM.

Even though PF and REM are hardly 'rock' bands.

As for U2, "Achtung Baby" is to me the best album.

Pink Floyd (best album piper at the gates of dawn, 1967), David Bowie (late '60 stuff like Space Oddity album), Rolling Stones (well, their early stuff at least), Lou Reed, (Transformer album and Velvet Ug. stuff)

.. more current, lets see: Red Hot Chili Peppers, Portishead, Massive Attack, Radiohead...

I thought Pink Floyd split up years ago?

Nope. Waters split from them but the others are still active and under the name 'Pink Floyd'.