Sign in to follow this  
mankyle

The answer you were waiting for: carriers are possible in arma 3

I don't know if this is happening to me only, but the example submarine is not working as it should be.

First of all there are some errors regarding turrets and weapons (probably config values) ... despite of this, it behaves more like a ship than a submarine as it seems that there is no way to make it dive.

Note that I'm not using the DEV version of the game (if that matters).

Yep, interesting test JDog!

A Lot of ideas coming to my mind, Not just regarding carriers. Cant wait to test it out myself. ^^

... it behaves more like a ship than a submarine as it seems that there is no way to make it dive.

The example mankyle provided does dive, it just that its very slow. Plus it dives uneven.

Obviously we all have a lot to learn from BIS or experimentation.

No idea whether a DEV version or not makes a difference.

Thanks for the code mankyle!

Gnat;2429114']

Obviously we all have a lot to learn from BIS or experimentation.

I'll drink to that and ofcourse I'd just shared my first impression without any criticism intention for mankyle's work.

Don't worry!!! I'm not offended. And yes, it dives VERY slowly. But it dives. IRL a submarine dives in a minute or so, so it's not that different. I'm still trying to make it dive faster and I have been experimenting with some values. I will post more things as soon as I get some news.

BTW Gnat, the GEO LOD limits are still there, but the GEO LOD seems much more stable than in Arma 2. I'm not getting problems at all with a 125 meter ship, but only with vehicles such as PHYSx choppers. As soon as I get out of a vehicle, I fall. Overall, ships are MUCH more stable.

Here some examples

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=156693710

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=156693641

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=156693063

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=156693751

Is it MP friendly? as I know I had problems with MP when using the assault boat/hemmit mix test.

Owww mankyle. the screenshots looks great. Was the ship moving at the time? Nice job!

Owww mankyle. the screenshots looks great. Was the ship moving at the time? Nice job!

No, not for the moment. I'm having problems with man class. I mean, with vehicles such as choppers and cars and APCs the ship is steel solid. But as soon as you get out of the vehicle the character falls.

Since that picture I have added a simple bridge, more windows, an elevator that links the mission bay and the hangar and a Mk 110 57mm gun turret. I'm planning to add a NETFIRES missile system configured as artillery and AA ammunition for the 57 mm gun.

My modelling skills are very basic and I have absolutely no idea of texturing so this can take A LOOOOONG TIME. The main problem is the solidity of the GEO LOD regarding the man class.

No, not for the moment. I'm having problems with man class. I mean, with vehicles such as choppers and cars and APCs the ship is steel solid. But as soon as you get out of the vehicle the character falls.

Since that picture I have added a simple bridge, more windows, an elevator that links the mission bay and the hangar and a Mk 110 57mm gun turret. I'm planning to add a NETFIRES missile system configured as artillery and AA ammunition for the 57 mm gun.

My modeling skills are very basic and I have absolutely no idea of texturing so this can take A LOOOOONG TIME. The main problem is the solidity of the GEO LOD regarding the man class.

It looks great. If i can help please let me know. My skills are also limited but i m willing to research and also try really hard :D, but i m sure some more experienced member can help you with the texturing. Anyways the ship looks great hope we can see some more screenshots soon.

Note that NETFIRES/NLOS-LS ended up being cancelled and the Navy turned to considering the Griffin B Block II for both LCS designs' Surface-to-Surface Missile Module (SSMM) in the forward centerline weapons zone (in place of the MK 110 or behind it, not sure here) while the Gun Missile Module(s) would be installed port and starboard on the superstructure slightly forward of the RAM launcher above the hangar.

If "1:1 authenticity with USS Independence (LCS 2)" isn't what you're going for, the above point can be mooted, and it doesn't at all detract from what good work you're demonstrating here for the benefit of your future projects and those of other maritime modders. :D

My modelling skills are very basic and I have absolutely no idea of texturing so this can take A LOOOOONG TIME. The main problem is the solidity of the GEO LOD regarding the man class.

Hope you manage to find a way around this, would be nice to have the ships.

I don't think (sadly) that this will be possible. It seems than entities of class man are treated differently by the PHYSx engine than vehicles. I can land with choppers or lod with setpos a vehicle. But as soon as you get out of the vehicle, you fall to the water as if the ship wasn't there.

I don't think (sadly) that this will be possible. It seems than entities of class man are treated differently by the PHYSx engine than vehicles. I can land with choppers or lod with setpos a vehicle. But as soon as you get out of the vehicle, you fall to the water as if the ship wasn't there.
Is there not some way to target the ship and 'enter' the ship directly from the chopper? And vice-versa?

To be honest would be nice to see BIS helping out in solving this issue! :D this would bring game play to a whole other level!

Yesterday I managed to get the LCS 2 working with PHYSx and even if it is a 125 meter ship, I can land helicopters even with the ship moving and even if the interaction is a little bit rough, it works. But as the man class doesn't react the same with PHYSx and the GEO LOD I don't think it is worth to continue developing this.

Strangely, class car interaction with the ship is much worse than with helicopters. Anyway, I will post an example of this soon

Yesterday I managed to get the LCS 2 working with PHYSx and even if it is a 125 meter ship, I can land helicopters even with the ship moving and even if the interaction is a little bit rough, it works. But as the man class doesn't react the same with PHYSx and the GEO LOD I don't think it is worth to continue developing this.

Strangely, class car interaction with the ship is much worse than with helicopters. Anyway, I will post an example of this soon

Sorry what do you mean by Physx LOD is it the new LOD named 4e13 ?

Just to be sure, did you tried to add a roadway on your model to see if it can add some benefits? (we can walk correctly inside when the vehicle is stopped, and maybe with physx enabled it could work when moving...)

Sorry what do you mean by Physx LOD is it the new LOD named 4e13 ?

Just to be sure, did you tried to add a roadway on your model to see if it can add some benefits? (we can walk correctly inside when the vehicle is stopped, and maybe with physx enabled it could work when moving...)

Yes, I added an RLOD. And it didn't make a difference. It seems that PHYSX are applied differently to class man and vehicle classes.

In Arma 3 GEO LOD goes over the 60 meter limit for vehicle interaction but not for man class

Sad to hear, hope BIS can sort this out.

Still better than what we had in ArmA2 and before ......

But if we're soooooo close, yes would be nice if BIS solved.

..... and maybe it is already, in a lod we're not using correctly .....

If there would be a "Thank you" button, I would click it now!

same here but btw we can write: Thank you

Gnat;2433303']Still better than what we had in ArmA2 and before ......

But if we're soooooo close' date=' yes would be nice if BIS solved.

..... and maybe it is already, in a lod we're not using correctly .....[/quote']

I'm going to post the LCS 2 model as a tecnology demonstrator tonight as soon as I get back from work. It is already usable for helicopters but not walkable.

Cheers mates!!!!

Usable for helicopters but not walkable is already an improvement on Arma 2, as Gnat said, so thank you for your work!

Well, following mankyle's help here and working a little bit on submarines, I saw that the "submarineX" is the only class for (the obvious) despite that for surface ships there are two classes, the "shipX" and the "ship" class ...

So anyone can make a "ship" without using the physics model but no-one can make a ... "submarine" without physics model ... ok probably you already know that.

Here is my 2 seated submarine using the "submarineX" class (the only one for the subs) ... its working fine but still the pbo needs to be unbinarized in order to avoid CTD in-game ... probably we have to wait for BIS new tools ...

Surface ... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v648/aplion/arma32013-07-0521-19-18-52_zpsc29ba019.jpg

Underwater ... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v648/aplion/arma32013-07-0521-18-53-15_zps2233bd29.jpg

Cheers

Edited by Aplion

Could someone create a ticket about getting the man class to work?