Sign in to follow this  
rasdenfasden

3D scopes have a fatal flaw (dev build)

i don't think its a fatal flaw - and i also think that "misalignment" when moving is realistic, because it is not a collimated sight. however i really liked the idea of scope shadowing and voted for it. i guess its realistic and could be a cool effect, if done probably.

but definitely not a major or "fatal flaw" :)

I can see it now, strange it only shows up sometimes, even when prone and not moving. Indeed it is not much. Still a bit strange when you are not moving. Warrants an eye to keep on it (pun intended) :)

i don't think its a fatal flaw - and i also think that "misalignment" when moving is realistic, because it is not a collimated sight. however i really liked the idea of scope shadowing and voted for it. i guess its realistic and could be a cool effect, if done probably.

but definitely not a major or "fatal flaw" :)

The fundamental problem with the misalignment is that it isn't controllable. It stems from the idle animations, which means that holding your breath won't make the scope realign. This means that if you fire during the wrong part of an idle anim, tough luck. Your reticle will be at the wrong place.

To make the misalignment a proper feature you need these two things:

A: The alignment must be controllable, for example by holding your breath.

B: You would need a clear way to tell if your scope is aligned or not. Scope shadows would be a good method.

Then it would be a pretty interesting gameplay element. If BIS could pull that off it would be awesome.

2) Misalignment - RasdenFasden, thanks for the screenshot. Gonna test this further. I didn't notice it, were you moving or at idle?

I was idle, I think the two misaligned ones are when prone and either sitting or crouching (can't quite remember).

Added clarification to the note.

Edited by RasdenFasden

Rasdenfasden,this is why I posted that the 3D scopes cause a loss of control.Its even worse when auto firing where the reticule is nowhere near the actual aim point of weapon.

I am all for more realistic representation of scope alignment. From my limited experience, walking with magnified optics is a real bitch, not only because your movement causes the weapon to bob, but also because the alignment between your eyes and the scope is being broken - and due to the way magnifying optics magnify, it is very easy to lose sight picture. Same goes for maintaining sight picture during quick weapon movements and during recoil. I like how scopes need to be steady for them to be accurate now. Just another way to make them less overpowered than they already are.

By the way, the 12x scopes aren't actually 3d. Are there plans to make them 3d, because they are made even more easy to use compared to the other optics because of this lack (ie there is no sight misalignment that has been mentioned above.)

I really enjoy the 3d scope. So much so that it's pretty much my go to now every time. Bloody awesome work BIS. But these discussions are good because the real thing to aim for is 3d scores that replicate as much as possible the functions of their teak works inspiration.

Edited by twisted

Just a tidbit, ain't the BCO/ACOG style scope supposed to be parallax free in the vertical (ranging) axis though (and in the vertical axis only)?

But I for one support our parallax overlords, though as Rasden noted it should be minimised when you are holding your breath.

Yep I do know but its quite pointless to engage enemy over 300m with the weapons those scopes are usually on.

The most common engagement range is below 300m where the RCO and ARCO are just shit.

What the hell is the big deal about adding elevation adjustment!?!?!?

you do realise the scope have 100/200/300 markers as well right? at least the red (RCO)

red dot centre = 300m

bottom of red bar above dot = 200m

top of red bar = 100m

they become shit when the targets so close you have trouble spotting them in the scope, that's what the top loops for.

not used the green (ARCO) mush to work out the aim points, i have an aversion to those silly triangles

Nice ticket. Indeed the eye misalignment is bigger in prone idle animation. I suggest to update the ticket description to note that.

I really wish they'd use that super neato PiP system to make the scopes actually 3D ala Red Orchestra.

The outside of the scope lacks focus so why not use lower quality PiP (set to default zoom) overlapping the scope's zoom around the outside, with the inside of the scope not overlapped, showing the scope's zoom.

Dsi24, this is not a 3D picture in picture thread. And it would not solve the perceived problem at all.

I looked to see if I could find anything on this but unfortunately i didn't see anything, so here is my question.

I have having and issue with the RCO and ARCO scopes in Beta. I use TrackIr and up until the BETA release, when I was looking through the scopes if I moved my head (in reality) my view didn't leave the scope. However, with Beta, my head movements are recorded just like they are when I am not looking through the scope. With trackir, is there any way to fix the view to the scope when the scope is being used (like it was in alpha)? I hope I am being clear.

I looked to see if I could find anything on this but unfortunately i didn't see anything, so here is my question.

I have having and issue with the RCO and ARCO scopes in Beta. I use TrackIr and up until the BETA release, when I was looking through the scopes if I moved my head (in reality) my view didn't leave the scope. However, with Beta, my head movements are recorded just like they are when I am not looking through the scope. With trackir, is there any way to fix the view to the scope when the scope is being used (like it was in alpha)? I hope I am being clear.

I have the same issue, and when disabling Track Ir and using free look with Alt , you don't have the issue, view stays locked to the 3D Scope

With TrackIr enabled, view is not locked to the 3D scope of the RCO. Seems 3D scope is handled as a ACO type scope with track Ir enabled

The issue with TrackIR and new scopes has been AFAIK reported. Upvote if you find it a problem. I no longer have a working FreeTrack (fried my diodes <g>) so I can't tell if it's really such a problem or not. Although from few comments in another thread I guess so.

I doubt that, considering the fact that it's actually easier to hit with a holosite compared to a 3D scope at 400+m

Have you ever seen a real ACOG? I did; they are not colimating (like a red dot or holo), so you're responsible for holding the scope (along with the rifle) straight in front of your eye, like in the game.

I don't really get, why you think you can shoot better at larger distances with a holo/reddot. While it's true that colimator sights compensate for your weapon sway, they are calibrated fixed at 200m, which means you have to use imaginary lines to offset your reticule above the target, beyond that distance. Plus you have no magnification.

Have you ever seen a real ACOG? I did; they are not colimating (like a red dot or holo), so you're responsible for holding the scope (along with the rifle) straight in front of your eye, like in the game.

I don't really get, why you think you can shoot better at larger distances with a holo/reddot. While it's true that colimator sights compensate for your weapon sway, they are calibrated fixed at 200m, which means you have to use imaginary lines to offset your reticule above the target, beyond that distance. Plus you have no magnification.

Actually an ACOG will generally always be on target, if your eye gets misaligned the whole thing goes black. (hurray?)

Actually an ACOG will generally always be on target, if your eye gets misaligned the whole thing goes black. (hurray?)

Absolutely right, I wasn't quite accurate there. The gun has some dispersion factor, but the optics don't become unaligned with the target point in the game, as far I can tell. OTOH dispersion isn't compensated by colimator sights either.

If colimator sights are moddable in A3 now, as an ultimate test, you could overlay them with the ACOG marker and it should never deviate from the reticule line.

Well I have never used an acog but is it not possible to have some misalignment without totally losing sight picture?