Sign in to follow this  
major_shepard

Compass on map and player name displayed in Elite mode

Hi all,

As a former ArmA 1-2 player I get a bit desperated by not seeing compass on map as we used to. Also I would like to see player's name displayed when aimed in Elite mode. I know all about stuff like Shacktac Hud but it I don't want to use it as it kills even more the immersivity.

Hope to see these options back to ArmA3

Thanks

Compass on map? What for? Up is north.

So you can accurately land nav? Its great you know up is north but what if you needed to know the exact bearing of a structure/terrain feature relative to your position?

They also need to remove that "compass cursor" and circle that shows your approximate location. Elite should be for players who actually know how to read a map and don't need hand holding.

Also I would like to see player's name displayed when aimed in Elite mode.

This would be really nice as a default for when you've disabled extended UI and crosshair. Currently we use a simple script to show the name, but since there's no way to get a player name with in-game mechanics if those aforementioned difficulty options are off, it really should be in the game as an option otherwise as well.

It was this way back in Arma 2 too, though.

And yeah, the rest aren't as much of an issue for me personally, but given how much some players in my group whine about their absence, it would be nice to have them fixed as well.

Are there feedback tickets for any of these beside the red circle?

Yes I saw this script the other day but I guess it will be a pain in the ass for mission maker to add it all the time in a mission. For red circle I think they should blow this away. Eventually they could replace it as an option displaying accurate GPS position of player/team leader. Something like ACE marker position we have in arma 2.

I like the red circle but it should probably only be on Veteran and not Elite.

It suggests that the player character somewhat knows the area which he should if he's on a military operation there. On Elite players should have to keep it all in their heads though.

I am torn after thinking about this for awhile but it is supposed to be 2035 and we already have personal GPS.Actually,I am surprised that this is not implemented but I think that GPS should be standard on every single soldier as its supposed to be 2035 and that even on elite difficulty the GPS should show the players location.Then the game devs should flesh out this GPS system to make the game more immersive.The major thing that GPS is good for is to give you an arrow on screen to tell you how to get to objective.What I am getting at is with GPS toggled on so its onscreen in lower corner IWould love to see it actually behave like an actual GPS system and tell me when and where to turn to reach objective.This of course is on known roads so when off-roading the unit just tells you your location.

Then you can add in other things that are already present or being designed as we speak that show other vehicles being tracked etc.I have loved the passive and active radar systems in jets and how you are undetectable on passive but detectable on active.Maybe GPS is this way where if you want more information of the battlefield and go active you then become traceable and hence put yourself into the enemies eyes at same time.Someone knowledgeable of GPS can chime in here.

Edited by Wolfstriked

I like having to navigate but yeah realistically I guess a small handheld GPS would be the most realistic. I don't think it should be able to give driving directions though. I don't think there are any on islands?

I think that it's quite certain that we would have a personal gps, and that gps wouldn't be a gps device only but a small handheld computer that would have lots of other features as well. Live feed from helmet cam to other units? Augmented reality? And I think that the military would be able to provide good maps with driving instructions across the whole island.

Take in mind that ArmA is a sand box. Mods picturing older decades will comes for sure. Also being able to do accurate topography, triangulation and so on with a compass on a map is a major requirment for this game.

I think the main thing right now to be fixed (its just a quick tweak) is to give every soldier a GPS.Right now only squad leader has a GPS.Helicopters have them by default while vehicles do not but again every soldier should have them.This way on veteran/elite servers(sadly there is only one right now)you can call in transport with "transport needed at 0506" and the chopper pilots navigate there with GPS.If your wounded and having trouble shooting or having to crawl you can call for help with "Medic needed ####" etc etc.And please get rid of the red circle for soldiers/vehicles and the triangulation lines that show helicopter position on map as the GPS works perfect.....imo of course.:)

battlefield 2142 incoming.. unfortunately I think that is actually becoming reality. Lets hope bo2 never happens.

Take in mind that ArmA is a sand box. Mods picturing older decades will comes for sure. Also being able to do accurate topography, triangulation and so on with a compass on a map is a major requirment for this game.

No, it isn't. Not ARMA3.

No, it isn't. Not ARMA3.

Arma 3 is not a sandbox game, since when? We always had the compass available while looking the map since Ofp.

Arma 3 is not a sandbox game, since when? We always had the compass available while looking the map since Ofp.

No need to triangulate and shit on Stratis. Altis will be bigger but in a modern game those skills aren't as important as in vintage mods.

i hope the compass is getting back, also on statis you can triangulate your position. we had an mission where this would have been needed. why get rid of usable things

i hope the compass is getting back, also on statis you can triangulate your position. we had an mission where this would have been needed. why get rid of usable things

I am pretty sure that it´ll return once the game reaches Beta status or gets finally released...if not...we´re screwed :P

May be part of the customization of the UI promissed for the beta?