Sign in to follow this  
bangtail

Company of Heroes 2

Been playing the beta for a few days now and all I can say is if the Beta is anywhere close to a release build, this game will tank (pardon the pun) badly.

Not only have the developers announced that SLI/CF will not work (ridiculous on a PC exclusive game), the beta is horribly optimized.

Now, given, it's a beta - but we are about 2 weeks from launch at this point so I hope this is an old build (fingers crossed).

I really wish devs like this would pack up their bags and leave PC gaming alone (now, I'll retract that if the final game supports SLI/CF and doesn't run like a handicapped snail).

It's bad enough we have to deal with the crumby ports but now even PC exclusives are being gimped.

Since there is no way I can play this game at my native resolution with 1 card, I will be forced to cancel my Steam preorder prior to the game's official launch.

I'm still holding out hope that Nvidia/AMD can come up with a profile but one of the CoH2 devs has stated that it will never work because of the snow effect.

What dev designs their engine so that it won't support SLI/CF on a PC exclusive title I really don't know but quite simply put, no SLI = No buy.

Very disappointing as it is a really good game and one I have wanted to see since Close Combat 3 all those years ago.

Edited by BangTail

I like man of war better, its more realistic.

Yep, definitely a good series of games.

IMHO it's not even a real evolution from COH. A lot of people like the randomness factor in that one, but at times it was just too much in the original game and it even was sometimes unbearable in Blitzkrieg Mod.

I like Wargame: Air Land battle much more, though it isn't WW2, it's a much better Simulation.

IMHO it's not even a real evolution from COH. A lot of people like the randomness factor in that one, but at times it was just too much in the original game and it even was sometimes unbearable in Blitzkrieg Mod.

I like Wargame: Air Land battle much more, though it isn't WW2, it's a much better Simulation.

Loving Wargame as well but I like the WWII Eastern Front scenario so I had high hopes for this game.

It's sad to see a dev like Relic ignoring enthusiast gamers in a PC exclusive game.

Sign of the times I guess :(

I played the closed beta for a bit but it's not my type of game, MoW for me too.

Anyway CoH1 was a great game but this one... dunno. Mine main problem with it is the lack of "scale", infantry firefights with troops 10m (if not less) apart, vehicles fell out of place and it's a bit chaotic in general (mine small monitor may have an influence on this one).

That bothered me in CoH1, you just can´t zoom out enough

Yep, that was true of CoH 1 as well - I'm leaning towards cancelling my pre-order.

Still holding out hope that the next Nvidia drivers might have an SLI profile, but even then - not sure I want to give Relic et al any money at this point.

I imagine wargame airland battle gets quite repetitive at some point because they have no mod support whatsoever, users can´t even make maps. And the SP campaign is a bad joke

Haven't bothered looking into any of the official info but Nvidia Inspector is showing both GPUs on my 690 to be working equally and the game runs fine but I hadn't actually monitored it till I saw this thread and it did patch itself today, so maybe they fixed some stuff.

My biggest gripe with this game is that, as a regular member of a group that still plays COH1 with Eastern Front on a regular basis, there is nothing about the game that feels like a marked improvement over the first. Particular nothing that will convince me to drop $80AU on it. Lucky I got into the free beta period when I did.

Edited by Pathetic_Berserker

I don't think so as the COH2 profile actually disables SLI and SLI does not work properly if you try to force it (unless there was an updated profile download today, which I will check in a few minutes))

One of the devs said that the snow effect does not play nice with SLI.

Personally, I'd like an option to disable the snow effect if that is the case or a simplified snow effect that does not affect SLI operation.

SLI/CF users make up a very tiny fraction of the PC gaming market, so I can see why the developers wouldn't make it a launch priority. As a fan of CoH, I'm personally liking the game a lot. Apart from the blizzard effect, which they're supposed to be optimizing, the game runs perfectly fine for me on a single GTX260.

As for the complaints about realism, CoH is a historically-themed RTS game, not a simulation.

As for the complaints about realism, CoH is a historically-themed RTS game, not a simulation.

With tanks firing 10 shots from a distance of 2 meters? mmm...

Nothing it's change from CoH1, well...We have blizzard effect now...

Men Of War: Assault Squad ftw. (hint: DMS has some aces in sleeve)

The vehicle gameplay has always been pretty crap, but Combined Arms with infantry can play out more realistically than MoW (ironically), because of abstractions like suppression and cover while prone in the 'open.' In MoW they just die like any other RTS with the healthbars turned down low.

Yeah, it seems more like an Addon than a new game...

Hello there

Can anyone give me a basic rundown of how COH and MOW(etc) differ? I'm a huge fan of the MoW series/precursors. I was hoping this would be similar.

It seems not...

Rgds

LoK

It´s more casual with a litle bit more focus on balancing then on realism. It doesn´t have that awesome MoW Armor penetration model and you can´t control a single unit directly.

Hello there

Can anyone give me a basic rundown of how COH and MOW(etc) differ? I'm a huge fan of the MoW series/precursors. I was hoping this would be similar.

It seems not...

Rgds

LoK

Basically, MoW is a kind of real-time-tactical simulation whereas CoH follows a more traditional RTS model with resource management, bases, etc. There is a great deal of tactical focus in CoH, however, as it features things not usually seen in the genre such as suppression mechanics and capture-and-hold as the default victory condition. I would say that MoW is more focused on realism while CoH is more focused on gameplay, but atmospherically, they both put a great emphasis on history.

S:HoWW2, FoW,MoW and it's sequel MoW:AS are sort of like Arma in RTS .... while CoH is sort of like CoD :)

---------- Post added at 21:48 ---------- Previous post was at 21:48 ----------

I said aces ... this is just one ace ;)

while CoH is sort of like CoD :)

ouch!

Looks like CoH2 might be worth a peek at for a casual blast but It looks like won't be removing MoW for a long time to come.

I was hoping against all hope that they had gone down the MoW path.

oh, well!

Rgds

LoK

Wouldn'y say that CoH is COD, but it is more like a traditional RTS. Still, it has a nice squad system, cover and all that. If you watch a match between 2 good players, its more strategic than chaotic.

Men Of War: Assault Squad ftw

True Story...

COH2 - Built for consoles..