Sign in to follow this  
K6

Blackhawk down mission

Hey fellows,

I want to make the best BHD Mission ever and actually I start to search for appropriate addons. Though my question is if some of you guys know where to find middle eastern building types and black looking characters?

Thanks

K6

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">OPF MISSIONS

(only for official missions)<span id='postcolor'>

Do you see? biggrin.gif

Moving to A&M.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Do you see?  <span id='postcolor'>

ITs not about seeing,Its all about giveing a rats a$$.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Though my question is if some of you guys know where to find middle eastern building types and black looking characters?

<span id='postcolor'>

I havent seen But 1 colored character in OFP.So I would suggest you just make new ones.And if you dont know how than how the hell do you plan to make the Best BHD mission.

Solution= Try an team up with other BHD mission makers.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (NZXSHADOWS @ July 26 2002,00:52)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Do you see?  <span id='postcolor'>

ITs not about seeing,Its all about giveing a rats a$$.<span id='postcolor'>

Oooh you're so sexy when you act all butch wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (NZXSHADOWS @ July 26 2002,01:52)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Do you see?  <span id='postcolor'>

ITs not about seeing,Its all about giveing a rats a$$.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Though my question is if some of you guys know where to find middle eastern building types and black looking characters?

<span id='postcolor'>

I havent seen But 1 colored character in OFP.So I would suggest you just make new ones.And if you dont know how than how the hell do you plan to make the Best BHD mission.

Solution= Try an team up with other BHD mission makers.<span id='postcolor'>

Yup. I know how to do most of the stuff the poster wants and I'm working on redoing my last blackhawk down mission (which I take it the current poster hasn't played) because I found out that the Desert Malden addon doesn't work right on my computer (creates some texture problems with the player and certain units). So I need to redo mine on the West Coast of Malden (although that's not the best map for it) or on some desert island that works well with OFP: Resistance. But the level of work required to do so is very daunting as I'm going to have to redo all my movie cutscenes or least their coordinates and then fine tune the position of units and just do alot of trial and error play testing to make sure things work as they should...in some ways it may be easier to just start from scratch.

But to the original poster of this thread...honestly you should know how to change faces on units... it's something very easy to do.

Simply type in the units init box:

this setface "face33";

or you can use face49 if I remember correctly. Anyways try that. If I remember correctly that's the proper script.

However to be very honest with you (again I'm speaking to the original poster) that is the easiest challenge you'll face.

If this is your first attempt at a major mission, I don't recommend trying it unless you are very experienced with using modifying scripts and doing lots of nice cut-scenes. If you are and changing faces is just something you never tried, then by all means go for it and I look forward to playing your mission because I do very much love the book and the real-life story.

My "Blackhawk Down" mission was by far the most difficult and most challenging mission I have ever made for OFP. It took me months to do which is why I'm dreading doing the Resistance Version for it because I know it's going to be a time hog and I got so many other missions I'd rather be working on. But I'm still going to pick away at it I think and see what I can do.

Anyways, if you want to check it out to get a sense of why it was so damn complex, you can download it from the URL on the bottom of my page (it's for version 1.46). However if you De-PBO it and use any parts of my mission (including the voice sounds which I recorded in my home studio), please do the right thing and give me credit for those parts. Oh also I must warn that it only works well on fast computers...(over 1.33ghz or over 1 ghz with a high end video card).... otherwise it is just a slideshow. I am going to fix that in my next version hopefully. I'm hoping I can get a map maker to make a custom "Mogadishu" map for me because the thing that slows down my mission the most is the damn building objects I had to add. sad.gif

By the way, can anyone recommend a good Desert map for OFP: Resistance??? Or is there a Desert Malden map addon that doesn't use that .wrp file or that is compatible with Resistance? Likewise are any of you map builders out there interested doing a Mogadishu desert map? Even if it's just with stock OFP buildings it would be a God send to those of us making BHD missions. If anyone does so, I would involve them closely in the beta-testing of the missions. Anyone who 's played my missions knows that most of them are of fairly high quality.

Any takers? I can assist with finding maps of Mogadishu and pictures as well. Anyone who's interested please message me or email me.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Oooh you're so sexy when you act all butch <span id='postcolor'>

Thanks,Buddy.

Hey maybe Shadows and Placebo can go rollerblading sometime biggrin.gif

Hey Guys thanks for the good points!

I allready made Missions (Swordfish I-III) maby you saw it somewhere!

I will try your Mission. Actually I try to collect Information about usable addons. When I said I want to make the best BHD Mission it wasn`t meant as an offense. I just want to make it as good as possible. Like you I´am into this BHD thing a long time. I made a Mission for Delta Force Land Warrior called Battle of Mogadishu......whatever...I`am looking forward to play your Mission...

Best wishes

K6

a tip is to get the tail rotor failure script from ofpediting centre(if you dont already have it) if you want to make the mission a bit more like the movie. well atleast the script maker said so.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (mrukas @ July 26 2002,12:51)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">a tip is to get the tail rotor failure script from ofpediting centre(if you dont already have it)  if you want to make the mission a bit more like the movie. well atleast the script maker said so.<span id='postcolor'>

Yeah I use that one in my BHD mission. Indeed it's quite good!

Definitely adds realism to any BHD mission!

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (K6 @ July 26 2002,12:37)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hey Guys thanks for the good points!

I allready made Missions (Swordfish I-III) maby you saw it somewhere!

I will try your Mission. Actually I try to collect Information about usable addons. When I said I want to make the best BHD Mission it wasn`t meant as an offense. I just want to make it as good as possible. Like you I´am into this BHD thing a long time. I made a Mission for Delta Force Land Warrior called Battle of Mogadishu......whatever...I`am looking forward to play your Mission...

Best wishes

K6<span id='postcolor'>

Oh nah, no offense taken. Sorry if I came off a bit strong.

Anyways, hopefully my mission will give you some ideas...oh...and the ending has incorrect information. sad.gif

Right now I'm waiting for the reworked TJP MH-60 Pavehawk addons to be finished. The Little Bird addons are of coarse out....the SEB Delta Force addon is the best I've seen however I haven't seen any good Army Ranger addon from that time period. There is one in desert fatigues but it was kinda weak I thought as they're not wearing any body armor and I believe the goggles were simply textured onto the helmets. sad.gif

But the hardest part is simply making a realistic looking Mogadishu without turning the game into a slideshow. That is why I'm hoping someone creates a Mogadishu looking city on a desert map. That would allow for MUCH better frame rates!

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

I KNOW I KNOW, there is a great lokking BHD city on the brand new island called arkopolis it is huge(well not that big but good size) and u can get it from operation flashpoint 1985 russian area(dont know excact website sorry).

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (tbone @ July 26 2002,23:59)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I KNOW I KNOW, there is a great lokking BHD city on the brand new island called arkopolis it is huge(well not that big but good size) and u can get it from operation flashpoint 1985 russian area(dont know excact website sorry).<span id='postcolor'>

Isn't that the one with the SS symbol and the F*K BIS writton on it? No matter how good it is, I wouldn't use such a map.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

if i could find a good layout of the somali map i would try to do it in wrpedit, but i cant seem to find one anywhere

Miles-teg & K6 both make kick ass missions. I've cruise over to miles-teg's web site every other day to see there's any new missions, I've been waiting for him to finish his black hawn down mission for resistance. I really like k6's swordfish missions, those are awesome. Not a lot of missions out there use entire islands. I especially like missions for high-end systems. To me that means missions that have more units & more action, and are generally  longer.

So why don't K6 & Miles-teg combine their efforts and create a mission together? That would rock.  biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (BlackDeath-CFH @ July 27 2002,09:22)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">no i mean a map of the city, like the historical points  ect ect...<span id='postcolor'>

Here's some maps from Philly.com where they have an abbreviated version of the book "Blackhawk Down" online. It's a great resource of info, maps, pictures, audio, video, and all kinds of other good stuff concerning that mission in Somalia.

The URL for the maps is:

http://inquirer.philly.com/packages/somalia/maps.asp

I hope that helps some. Because honestly I don't think I want to start a version 3 of my BHD mission until someone makes a decent Mogadishu map because otherwise I might waste tons of time and energy making a version on the West Coast of Nogovo, only to have to re-do it again if someone makes a Mogadishu map. sad.gif

Obviously any Mogadishu won't be exactly like the real thing (with the Olympic hotel and stuff) but hopefully close enough with a airport to start off from, the main city (with plenty of ruins of buildings mixed with other types of buildings) and maybe a U.N. compound (for the Pakistani troops). However you might want to wait until OFPinternals releases that new version of WRPedit so you can add in Resistance buildings. Some of the bigger apartment buildings would be good for parts of Mogadishu as well as alot of the new ruins and stuff in Resistance that are brown colored and fit better in a desert enviornment.

Anyways, please keep us updated if you start working on this map. I'd be happy to help beta-test the map also as I could use even a rough version of the map to get started on my mission... which in turn I could give you to beta-test.

Anyways I hope it works out! Many people would also like I think just for making good close quarters combat missions. smile.gif

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Lucidity @ July 27 2002,05:44)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Miles-teg & K6 both make kick ass missions. I've cruise over to miles-teg's web site every other day to see there's any new missions, I've been waiting for him to finish his black hawn down mission for resistance. I really like k6's swordfish missions, those are awesome. Not a lot of missions out there use entire islands. I especially like missions for high-end systems. To me that means missions that have more units & more action, and are generally  longer.

So why don't K6 & Miles-teg combine their efforts and create a mission together? That would rock.  biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Thanks. Yeah it could work if me and K6 teamed up...but... the only bad thing is that I'm often VERY picky about certain things in my mission, and the problem with having two mission designers is that often you get serious differences of opinion on things such as what addons to use, or how a cut-scene should be shown, what music to use, ect...

While having help would be nice, but sometimes more then one cook sometimes spoils the dinner. But if K6 you are reading this I'd be happy to share ideas and we could test out each other's missions. smile.gif

Oh...and I do have at least one mission near completion that involves rescuing hostages with the Little Birds. smile.gif You'll like it... I'm just fine tuning it to get rid of bugs right now and then I just gotta make a short movie intro/outro for it. smile.gif

I had some others almost finished (like one Angolan Civil War mission) but unfortunately they also used the Desert Malden map so I need to redo those also for Resistance unfortunately. sad.gif But after the two hostage missions I'm working on, (including one where I got the AI MH-6 pilots to land on a apartment roof consistently) I plan on either making some more missions for a "War on Drugs" mod and also some British military missions using various British unit and weapons addons.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Hi guys,

Iam the leader of Black Hawk Down Mod and I just want to give you a hand. If you want we are looking for good mappers and maybe addoner if ther are some. We have made a hole new map called somalia and we are currently building mogadishu on it. Please don't aske me for a download link this is Top Secret Stuff because the hole mod is based on this map !! So if someone want s to join please sen me an mail or go to Black Hawk Down mod

Thanks

The REAL CHASER

The sad thing is that the movie "Blackhawk Down" was made to remember the soldiers that died in the incident in Somalia, and now people want to play "blackhawk down".

You could at least not call it blackhawk down. Just Somalia or something, have some respect.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FSPilot @ July 29 2002,17:48)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The sad thing is that the movie "Blackhawk Down" was made to remember the soldiers that died in the incident in Somalia, and now people want to play "blackhawk down".

You could at least not call it blackhawk down.  Just Somalia or something, have some respect.<span id='postcolor'>

There is no disrespect. That's like saying every war simulation based on actual missions and campaigns should rename their missions out of respect for those that died. How about all those flight simulators and tank simulators that had missions named after battles in the Gulf War. Should they change their names out of respect for all the Iraqi's that died? People want to play simulations of actual combat missions to get a feel of what it might have been like. That mission in Somalia was one of the most intense battles the U.S Army has faced since WWII and is the reason why people want simulations of it that that try to simulate as close as possible the actual events of the battles.

In addition to that, to many people at least here in the U.S., those Rangers were heroes, and gamers often want to play the part of their heroes in games.

But no disrespect is intended to the soldiers or Somalies who faught and died in Somalia, at least not in my BHD mission.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

I would only have a problem with it if it was from the Somali side. I won't kill American soldiers. Just part of my creed.

One thing you guys might think about it the fact that most of Mogadishu was made up of tin huts, or shanties (sp?), not your typical 8/4/2 story buildings. The Olympic hotel was the tallest building in the Mog. Keep that in mind. You could use the Resistance addon (apt building 8 story I think it's called) as the Olympic Hotel. The only problem is getting people in and out of the building. The main problem with the OFP engine is that it works better for open spaces, but fighting in Mog was close quarters, most of the time. Kicking in doors, shooting through tin walls, things like that. One thing they didn't show in the movie was the fact that Somalian militia would use women and children as body armor. You had to shoot through them, which came as a surprise to the gunmen.

Just some thoughts. If anyone has Oxygen, I'd start making small huts and shanties, with tin roofs. Nothing fancy. Make it look shabby, rusted. That's the way things were.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Pvt. Jackson @ Aug. 01 2002,21:55)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I would only have a problem with it if it was from the Somali side.  I won't kill American soldiers.  Just part of my creed.  

One thing you guys might think about it the fact that most of Mogadishu was made up of tin huts, or shanties (sp?), not your typical 8/4/2 story buildings.  The Olympic hotel was the tallest building in the Mog.  Keep that in mind.  You could use the Resistance addon (apt building 8 story I think it's called) as the Olympic Hotel.  The only problem is getting people in and out of the building.  The main problem with the OFP engine is that it works better for open spaces, but fighting in Mog was close quarters, most of the time.  Kicking in doors, shooting through tin walls, things like that.  One thing they didn't show in the movie was the fact that Somalian militia would use women and children as body armor.  You had to shoot through them, which came as a surprise to the gunmen.

Just some thoughts.  If anyone has Oxygen, I'd start making small huts and shanties, with tin roofs.  Nothing fancy.  Make it look shabby, rusted.  That's the way things were.<span id='postcolor'>

Yeah likewise I wouldn't make a mission where you play the part of Somalies. I think that they had legit reasons to be fighting against us, but I would find that personally offensive as I'm ex U.S. Army. However at the same time I try not to make the Somalies look like evil people or anything.

Actually using civilians as human shields can be simulated in OFP, well at least you can put civilians in front of gunmen or that move around with the gunmen. Also you can easily put soldiers in buildings using certain scripts as long as you have the right height and the right positions in the buildings, so there is plenty of possibilities for close quarters combat in buildings (that are open) and around buildings. The only thing that sucks is that "Real Chaser's" BHD mod is the only one that anyone is doing a Somalia map for. So far I haven't heard from anyone else who is doing a desert map with a Mogadishu city in it. sad.gif

I would join their MOD but I already have a BHD mission made that I just want to update and convert to a better map for OFP:Resistance.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>