Sign in to follow this  
redundant_fool

Operation flashpoint for me?

Hi... I'm new here. I was thinking about buying operation flashpoint after playing it on my brothers laptop. It is a very cool game. I was wondering if any of you would know whether or not it would work on my computer. I have a pentium 1 with 166 Mhz processor, 96 Mb RAM, and Windows NT.

What do you think?

It won't run under NT since it doesn't support DirectX 8. A 166 MHz machine is also way to weak to play OFP on.

So the only solution is to get your hands on a more up to date computer smile.gif

On the back of my OFP-Box, the MINIMUM requirements say:

Windows 95 / 98 / ME / 2000

DirectX 8

Pentium II 400 CPU

64 MB Ram

16bit SoundCard with DirectSound support

3D-GraphicBoard with 16 MB Ram and Direct3D support

8x CD-Rom Drive

450MB free HDD

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (redundant_fool @ July 22 2002,12:09)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I have a pentium 1 with 166 Mhz processor, 96 Mb RAM, and Windows NT.

What do you think?<span id='postcolor'>

No offense, but you seriously need to get yourself a new computer.

My computer is a eight hundred megahertz AMD with a thirty two megabyte Radion graphics card and it runs all games terribly, Operation Flashpoint in particular. I cannot figure out why, as my brother's old computer was exactly the same and it ran Operation Flashpoint great. My latest suspect is the memory sticks. Since my monitor is dead, my brother has been borrowing my memory sticks because his died (it kept giving him bluescreens until he replaced the memory sticks). His computer now runs slowly. Now my new monitor and his new memory sticks arrived today, but when I put my old memory sticks in my old machine it will still run terrible. I have no money for new memory sticks, as I am unemployed and buying a new monitor took up the last bit of cash I had. AAARGH!

welcome to OFP world reluctant.

my sys:

750mhz AMD

376MB RAM

GF2 MX200

and it runs ok. but when you get to big urban areas, it'll start to lag.

so here's my suggestion.

CPU: over 1ghz

RAM: Over 376mbs

Graphics card: GF3 or above.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">No offense, but you seriously need to get yourself a new computer.<span id='postcolor'>

That is only if he wants to play games.

I have a similar computer at the work, and I don't have

any problems doing the things that programmer needs to do

(text editing and stuff..)

My company uses mostly linux and that seems to be

more useful on not-so-well-performing computer.

Of course Intel's GM would like to see every PC in the world

have newest PIV..

Then again, I have 1.4 Ghz computer at home, it's good for playing,

I just wanted to point this thing out.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (LauryThorn @ July 23 2002,06:47)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">No offense, but you seriously need to get yourself a new computer.<span id='postcolor'>

That is only if he wants to play games.

I have a similar computer at the work, and I don't have

any problems doing the things that programmer needs to do

(text editing and stuff..)

My company uses mostly linux and that seems to be

more useful on not-so-well-performing computer.

Of course Intel's GM would like to see every PC in the world

have newest PIV..

Then again, I have 1.4 Ghz computer at home, it's good for playing,

I just wanted to point this thing out.<span id='postcolor'>

I have an 800mhz at work with 128mb of ram. I cant stand it. Not enough ram... cant have more than a couple things open at a time. I like to have outlook, a couple IE browsers, dreamweaver, photoshop, cuteftp, and scanner all open at once. Need more ram!

But I have a 667 with 192mb of ram at home so it isnt any better :\

if your willing to keep your graphics turned down, i would say the lowest computer that can handle ofp is a 350mhz with a modest video card, something 32mb or above, radeon or geforce. i used to have a 350 and i played the entire ofp campaign on that.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RalphWiggum @ July 23 2002,07:19)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Graphics card: GF3 or above.<span id='postcolor'>

A little better Geforce 2 (Pro, Ti, Ultra) can handle OFP pretty well, i think. Well. I think i won't change my Geforce 3 for a while longer, because it runs great on P4 2.0GhZ and 1Ghz of RDRam.

OFP needs a great processor, lots of ram and a good graphic card.  smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (LauryThorn @ July 23 2002,12:47)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">That is only if he wants to play games.<span id='postcolor'>

Ok, so what is operation flashpoint?

I gotta agree with whats been said so far. I've been playing for about 6 months on a PentiumIII 1.1 GhZ with 256 RAM and a 32 MB graphics card.

It works fine, but as mentioned above the urban scenes can cause a bit of lag, as well as those custom missions where there are dozens of soldiers and vehicles. Flying sometimes induces a laggy moment as well.

I did just upgrade from Win95 piece-of-sh** OS to XP, and that has improved game play noticably.

Heres what i recommend cause that computer will definately not work for OFP.

1.7 ghz processer

512 mb Ram (maybe a different one, not sure which is the best for gaming)

Geforce 2 64 and up.

Windows XP

And a decent hard drive about 60 gigs.

Right there you're looking at about 1500 bucks. If you search around a lil bit you can find some good bargains.

Hope that helps.

I run a 1 Ghz processor with 384 megs of RAM and a GeForce3 Ti 200 with 128 megs of RAM and OFP plays smooth as silk for the most part. Starts laggin when i have a lot of objects in a mission or if i crank up the setviewdistance, but thats to be expected, i guess. I'm working on upgrading right now.

I'm looking at an ASUS P4 motherboard, and a Pentium4 Processor to go with it. The one i'm looking at is 2 Ghz. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Jester983 @ July 24 2002,01:47)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">1.7 ghz processer<span id='postcolor'>

You need that kinda processor if you want P4. If you want AMD, Athlon 1700 (1.4 Ghz) should be enough. That processor is almoust the same as P4 2.0 Ghz (I own that one), and the price is lower. So, if you're low on money and want a good processor, go for AMD.  smile.gif

have a 1.2 Tbird,512mb sdram,and a gf2 gts

Ofp runs smooth as silk :]

oh,and aculaud,the 1.6 p4 is very overclockable,even with stock cooling,you can get 2.2-2.4 if you have decent memory.

So for your mobo get a good overclocker (can't think of an example from the top of my head) :-)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Aculaud @ July 24 2002,02:39)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I'm looking at an ASUS P4 motherboard, and a Pentium4 Processor to go with it. The one i'm looking at is 2 Ghz. biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

I have P4 2.0 Ghz since January 2001 and OFP runs very smoothly. P4 is a good processor, but if you want something for lower price, AMD Athlon 2000 (1.67 GhZ) is the right processor for you. You can find more info on the link below:

- http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1574

or very interesting test with p4 2.0Ghz and Athlon 1900.

- http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1574

So, if you have money, go for P4 2.2 or 2.4 ghZ. biggrin.gif

Do u think i'm sorry i bought P4 2.0GhZ?. If so, the answer is no. tounge.gif

Oh, and i have my P4 2.0 GhZ overclocked to 2.6 GhZ. tounge.gif

That's why i love Pentiums. biggrin.gif

Aculaud,

If you're running a 1ghz processor now and it's working well, wait until the fall to upgrade.

AMD's new Athlon based on the Hammer should be out sometime this fall and it is going to kick some serious ass.  The 800mhz pre production samples floating around are benching at the level of a 1.6 P4!

And at the very least, Intel will whack the prices of their processors to compete and either way you get a smoking deal!

Amd Duron 900

256 pc133 RAM(upgraded from 128)

Diamond Viper v770 (32 megs)

Man, it runs great... extra Ram made ALL the diff.

I'm running Resistance on a pretty weak machine:

-Celeron 466

-192mb RAM

-ATI Xpert 128 w/ 16mb

Some missions can be a real slideshow, but it is very much playable at 800x600 w/ a lot of stuff set on low. I'm upgrading as soon as I can, though.

this is turning into another "what are your system specs thread", but what the hell.

my sys-

-p3 866mhz

-320 pc133 mb sdram

-gf2 mx 400 64mb

-win me(i have no prob. with min. me, but lots of people do for some reason, so i may get xp soon.)

I upgraded when res. was released from 128 to 320 mb ram. I played ofp when i had 128 at 1280x1024, and it was very smooth.

And with resisistance, i play at 1024x768, with 320 mb of ram, with view distance ~1200, and terrian detials set on normal. It does slow down some, but most of the time it is very playable.

Youll definately need to get a new comp. to play ofp, but you wont need an extremely high end system. If you dont have tons of cash id say go for a 1-1.5 ghz, with 320-512 ram, and a gf3

That shouldnt be too expensive now, although i havent looked at the prices in while.

You should get a few months play out of ofp, then definatly buy resistance.