Sign in to follow this  
Scogol

[Again] My thoughts on how to improve vehicle handling

Hi,

tracker yesterday (sorry, MadDogX, brain wasn't on), I hope it is ok to post this in here.

after I half-sleepingly wrongly posted this to the feedback

My thoughts on how to improve the overall driving experience in ArmA III. Feel free to comment, review or to add your own thoughts. I will insert them, provided I remember to look here. :D Most thoughts refer to on-road driving with cars. Some could be/are duplicates.

1. Improve sound. Sound specifically needs some work on those sections:
  2. Sound of quad at top speed is buggy: Constantly repeating accelerate noise.

3. Braking sound is really bad and also quite general. (I actually think I have already heard the sound somewhere)

4. The braking sound also occurs in certain cases when "drifting" at high speeds on the road. This sounds very strange.

5. Add unterground-dependent sound. (asphalt, concrete, gravel, (rain), etc)

6. Engine sound should have some random noise. (misfire etc) Currently it's always the same sound.

7. Improve general handling and driving athmosphere.
  8. Driving over a bush does makes it "fall" (don't know the right word), but does not cause any damage. Because of that, you often don't even try to avoid them because you know they don't mean anything. Making them cause a scratching noise (causing the driver to notice it and think "oh shit, I have damaged the car") and some damage will do the job.

9. Signs are too small, not really frequent and/or complete and too late and too difficult to read when driving fast. All this makes driving without

looking at the map all the time or having a copilot. My suggestion:

10. At crossings (or T-junctions), optionally have one early sign indicating that a crossing is coming and then signs for all possible ways.

11. Generally, make the font size bigger. Fonts of real signs aren't that thin.

12. Properly implement handbrake:

13. A vehicle standing on a slope will roll if handbrake is not applied.

14. Upon activation, handbrake stays activated.

15. Upon deactivation, handbrake stays deactivated.

16. Add wipers (Hugely improves atmosphere if graphics are done right)

17. Some aquaplaning. (Really unimportant)

18. Driving offroad should make the screen shake, create dust etc

19. When driving slow-medium speed (e.g. 20 km/h), the engine makes a "accelerate" noise and the speed is almost constant, even driving on a gravel road. Add more friction and play the "roll out" noise, not the "accelerate" noise!

20. It is not possible to brake without starting the engine, i.e. if you roll (w/o engine) and press S then the engine starts.

21. Improve graphics. (Some details, most of it looks fine)
  22. Make streets more plastic. (especially gravel roads)

23. Add some random noise to the roads.

Hoping I've done it right

Scogol

PS: Indentation is a bit broken.

Improve sound. Sound specifically needs some work on those sections:

To be honest I don't know what to think of them either. When driving / hearing a vehicle it sounds like placeholder yet it's not that bad and maybe some audio positioning tweaks still needs to be done? We'll see later I guess

Sound of quad at top speed is buggy: Constantly repeating accelerate noise. Add underground-dependent sound. (asphalt, concrete, gravel

Really annoying to say the least but I think there's quite apparent this is far from done. ATV is probably the most noticeable vehicle where proper rpm sync is lacking. Sounds on gravel would be nice touch but could get annoying if not done right. Not sure if needed.

Improve general handling and driving athmosphere

In the works. Vehicle focus will be at beta stage of the game

Driving over a bush does makes it "fall" (don't know the right word), but does not cause any damage. Because of that, you often don't even try to avoid them because you know they don't mean anything. Making them cause a scratching noise (causing the driver to notice it and think "oh shit, I have damaged the car") and some damage will do the job.

The small bushes shouldn't pose any threat to a 3 ton 4x4. If anything, pieces of wood could get ''sucked'' into cooling fan behind the front grill and that would have to still be some mean bush or a small tree, causing overheating of the engine at best. Damage should be taken from rough driving / bumps / jumps but not bushes :)

A vehicle standing on a slope will roll if handbrake is not applied.

Upon activation, handbrake stays activated.

Upon deactivation, handbrake stays deactivated.

Left Ctrl currently works as hand break and IMO works fine. I bet too many would be driving with a H break on so probably not worth the hassle

Driving offroad should make the screen shake, create dust etc

No artificial screen shake please. More dust would be nice though

It is not possible to brake without starting the engine, i.e. if you roll (w/o engine) and press S then the engine starts.

Been like this for long time and there's a ticket for it :)

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=5800

I guess, or lets say I hope, that some of the sounds are only placeholders.

But yeah, nice list you made!

From SITREP 0009:

LOGISTICS Today we'll publish to Development branch, but then we will halt updates for two days. Publication should continue this Friday. The reason? We are making significant and extensive changes to the way audio and volume balancing are handled. These changes affect all assets with sound, and we want to make sure it all gets published in one go. There will also be a detailed description of the changes and what to test afterwards.
Vehicle sounds might be involved...

I'm not sure what to expect from armoured vehicles but it'd be great to see tanks getting buried in a mud and sliding off of hills due to there weight. Again, A2 vehicle behaviour wasn't all that bad, just fell limited and unfinished.

I'm crossing my fingers ( bloody hope so ;) ) for proper RPM engine load this time though