Sign in to follow this  
myngos211

Mission Music - Copyright infrigement?

Hi,

Is it okay to submit missions with songs? I have an option to turn off the music if the player just doesn't want to hear it and could add a hint about the year/band/song info as well. Just curious as I've downloaded a couple missions that have songs within the mission. I feel music really helps in the immersion factor but wanted other's opinions.

Thanks,

Chad

I apologize if this has been brought up, the only thread I found that came close but didn't answer was from over 2 years ago, this is not about creating video for youtube just mission play.

User missions and campaigns posted on biforums were having copyrighted music all the time... Well technically it can be counted as an infringement, but I doubt a suit from some EMI will bother checking every ArmA3 mission. So it's all down to your consciousness.

Anyone uploading videos containing copyrighted music to Youtube can get into trouble... the internet police are all over that place.

To include music from a recording artist would mean having a broadcasting licence of some type and paying royalties, in the UK anyway. Even if the music was copied from a broadcaster i.e. radio or tv, its illegal to copy and re-broadcast it in the u.k.

Playing background music made for that type of use i.e. 'lift music' then you still have to have a licence, different type, to play music in public (business), but with no royalties as the music has been made purposely for that reason.

So no, is the quick answer, its not o.k. and they are getting really uptight about it, so be careful..

Anyone uploading videos containing copyrighted music to Youtube can get into trouble... the internet police are all over that place.

Actually, AFAIK, you just have to agree to run ads in your video in exchange. If the production company doesn't want in on that deal, then they just pull the audio of your video and suggest alternate soundtracks. Youtube is very reasonable about coming to some kind of compromise.

Actually, AFAIK, you just have to agree to run ads in your video in exchange. If the production company doesn't want in on that deal, then they just pull the audio of your video and suggest alternate soundtracks. Youtube is very reasonable about coming to some kind of compromise.

Yes that would be using YT music licence, but I still think that would exclude recording artists.

But I thought ads were not to be used (monetary gain) with BIS vids or has that changed ?

Yes that would be using YT music licence, but I still think that would exclude recording artists.

But I thought ads were not to be used (monetary gain) with BIS vids or has that changed ?

I'm not sure what you mean by 'exclude recording artists'. I was saying that if the label doesn't want to be part of the music license, youtube will pull the audio of your video and make suggestions for alternate soundtracks. I was saying this in response to the claim that you will get in a lot of trouble. AFAIK, you don't get in a lot of trouble because they have a system for handling that.

Regarding whether or not it's against BI's license, I don't know, The person who is posting the video isn't gaining anything, except being able to post a video with a song.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'exclude recording artists'. I was saying that if the label doesn't want to be part of the music license, youtube will pull the audio of your video and make suggestions for alternate soundtracks. I was saying this in response to the claim that you will get in a lot of trouble. AFAIK, you don't get in a lot of trouble because they have a system for handling that.

Regarding whether or not it's against BI's license, I don't know, The person who is posting the video isn't gaining anything, except being able to post a video with a song.

Possibly, if YT covers it then so be it, provided they get to your soundtrack to take it off in time, before the legal’s do.

Regards the videos with BIS products i.e. arma etc, didn’t think ads were allowed, not sure though, it was on A2 forum a while back, that’s why my vids all have ads disabled..

Possibly, if YT covers it then so be it, provided they get to your soundtrack to take it off in time, before the legal’s do.

It's procedural. Youtube recognizes the sound in your videos as it encodes them.

Regards the videos with BIS products i.e. arma etc, didn’t think ads were allowed, not sure though, it was on A2 forum a while back, that’s why my vids all have ads disabled..

AFAIK the YouTube monetization license for BI has to do with users monetizing their own videos. To me, agreeing to have ads in your video to cover using someone's music seems separate from making money off of arma but I'm not entirely sure how that is viewed legally.

Its not copyright infringement if its for personal non-commercial use.

YouTube basically 'shazams' videos and most of my YouTube videos have copyrighted songs. The only difference is you can't monetize (put ads on) a video with copyrighted music. Occasionally a video will be blocked in certain countries (usually Germany) if a certain label owns the rights (I don't know why).

I am not so sure about this 'personal use' thing. And, if you put copyrighted music in a mission and give it to anyone, however, it is not for personal use. You are distributing copyrighted material.

I am not so sure about this 'personal use' thing. And, if you put copyrighted music in a mission and give it to anyone, however, it is not for personal use. You are distributing copyrighted material.

I wonder if the same holds true for part of a song? If so how many seconds of 'song' are allowed before it's a copyright issue? (rhetorical question)

I think the rule is 10% or something. At any rate, there is a guideline to that effect if you wish to look it up. There is some rule about music and percentage.

There's no clear rule. They can sue you for any amount even if it's only 2 seconds.

But would they bother? I've hosted a mission in MP that had james bond movie soundtracks from all eras playing through it - and legally that's a public broadcasting of music I don't have a license to and thus copyright infringement (plus I downloaded that mission so it's like copying music too!). But I haven't noticed any black choppers landing outside the window.

Just play missions and have fun.

Edited by metalcraze

Huh, I use a Biggie Smalls song for my business promotional video on my website -and thats clearly to make money! Yet, Youtube merely contacted me after I uploaded it and made me sign something -don't really remember what the exact nature of it was but I wasn't in any trouble nor had to pay anything. It was like more of an acknowledgment "Hey, this is Biggies".

NO Biggie.

Hopefully Suge Knight don't find out or Ill be missing and yall be singing songs about Tupac, Biggie and Frogs...:(

Just play missions and have fun.

^ oh I agree 100%... just curious. The music industry and it's slow but steady downfall fascinate me :p

NO Biggie.

really...

Anyway, I would not sweat about using whatever songs you want in your missions. Using a commercial song in an Arma 3 mission is kind of like going 1mph over the speed limit while in the middle of the desert - noone gives a shit.

Also, you aren't going to get sued................... hahahaha, they will only sue if there is money to be made or precedence to be set (i.e. Napster).

My advice as someone who knows more about big business than I would like - Use away.

really...

Anyway, I would not sweat about using whatever songs you want in your missions. Using a commercial song in an Arma 3 mission is kind of like going 1mph over the speed limit while in the middle of the desert - noone gives a shit.

Also, you aren't going to get sued................... hahahaha, they will only sue if there is money to be made or precedence to be set (i.e. Napster).

My advice as someone who knows more about big business than I would like - Use away.

Some people don't need the threat of a lawsuit to try to do the right thing :)

Youtube doesn't pursue many of those violations except possibly if someone is a serial offender. Sometimes they will mute the sound on the video, but often they take no action. They will also often tag the video with an iTunes link to allow people to buy the tune legally. I assume it is part of an arrangement that they have with some owners of copyright. I think that is a great example of businesses embracing the future. How often do you see comments on a video like "What is the name of that song?".

you will never have any issues with putting music in your missions assuming you aren't trying to make a small fortune from the mission (which Im certain you wouldn't be).

there is nothing wrong with it, and no one is ever going to sue you for doing it....it costs money to sue and what would be gained? please remove song from your mission at worst? not worth the effort for anyone.

scaremongers might tell you that its copyright infringement but infringement would NEVER be applied in this case.

enjoy your editing :)

Edited by Lightspeed_aust