Sign in to follow this  
mariodu62

Physx

Hi all,

Maybe a stupid question but it's not really clear so...

Is the game using Physx for GPU or Physx for CPU because i have tried multi configs and i can't see the difference among them.

i7-950, gtx 570

i7-950, GTX570+8800GT for pysx

i7-950, crossfire radeon 5850

i7-950, crossfire radeon 5850 + physx nvidia

Can someone turn on my lights ?

thanks

Yes, Prof is right :) It's 100% CPU based PhysX calculations.

Ok so do we need to install physx software when we play with ATI ??

if you have a functional nvidia card in your system you probably have it installed already. I'm not sure if you actually have to install it or if it's built into the game.

Ok so do we need to install physx software when we play with ATI ??

The "professionals" and forum-declared gurus are speaking false, once again.

You require PhysXâ„¢ software when you play with AMD and ATi. The PhysX software is installed during the first-time setup of your ArmA IIIâ„¢.

You require PhysXâ„¢ software when you play with AMD and ATi. The PhysX software is installed during the first-time setup of your ArmA IIIâ„¢.

Thanks for trolling. So you don't need to install anything before ArmA3, that's what he was asking (apart from Steam client).

Edited by ProfTournesol

Thanks for trolling. So you don't need to install anything before ArmA3, that's what he was asking (apart from Steam client).

thx, that's what i was asking

Yeah, you see, PhysX is not only the GPU accelerated eyecandy you mostly see when games use PhysX but it is also in fact a realtime physics engine middleware SDK which means it actually handles most of the physics in the game and not only the e.g. cloth or particle FX. You don't have to install anything nor have a special GPU brand as it's running on the CPU= the processor, as it did in Arma 2 when there was the, let's say, "a bit simpler" physics and collision code by BIS :)

That PhysX software is a brand from Nvidia. When you install any actual Nvidia driver, you will have plenty of additional software, like 3D (stereoscopy), or CUDA and that PhysX.

When you do not have a Nvidia Graphics card, you can not simply install that software and expect any calculations on a ATI-architectured card.

PhysX can outsource some calculations from the Central Processor Unit (CPU) to the graphic card. By using special techniques, you can achive much faster results and a better gaming experience. Both, your CPU and your graphics card (GPU) must be able to communicate with each other. For this, a game must support PhysX.

If there is no PhysX involved, the CPU will still acts as usally: It will calculate ALL physic calculations on the central processor unit. No matter if it is a AMD or INTEL.

It has been said that ArmA3 is going to use only userside-PhysX-effects (lets say: water surfaces, clouds, dust, smoke, fire and so) but thats not exactly true. ArmA3 is going to be optimised for that technology.

And now...let the shitstorm begin...

PhysX can outsource some calculations from the Central Processor Unit (CPU) to the graphic card. By using special techniques, you can achive much faster results and a better gaming experience. Both, your CPU and your graphics card (GPU) must be able to communicate with each other.

Wrong, GPU physX calculations are NOT supported by Arma 3. It runs its PhysX entirely on the CPU. There is NO option to offload PhysX calculations to the GPU.

Mostly because you post a lot of shit.

It has been said that ArmA3 is going to use only userside-PhysX-effects (lets say: water surfaces' date=' clouds, dust, smoke, fire and so)[/b'] but thats not exactly true. ArmA3 is going to be optimised for that technology.

For a start, that has never been said :D :wink_o:

oh and I'll just put it here again

"Yeah, you see, PhysX is not only the GPU accelerated eyecandy you mostly see when games use PhysX but it is also in fact a realtime physics engine middleware SDK which means it actually handles most of the physics in the game and not only the e.g. cloth or particle FX. You don't have to install anything nor have a special GPU brand as it's running only on the CPU= the processor, as it did in Arma 2 when there was the, let's say, "a bit simpler" physics and collision code by BIS :)"

Edited by PurePassion

That feeling - when you have a Nvidia card for ArmA3...priceless. :nener:

That feeling - when you have a Nvidia card for ArmA3...priceless.

Actually, more like worthless.

I have 2 PC's with nvidia cards in, but they don't make a cent's worth of difference for Arma 3.

Edited by DM

That PhysX software is a brand from Nvidia. When you install any actual Nvidia driver, you will have plenty of additional software, like 3D (stereoscopy), or CUDA and that PhysX.

When you do not have a Nvidia Graphics card, you can not simply install that software and expect any calculations on a ATI-architectured card.

The PhysX API is installed alongside the game, as it is with any other game on Steam that uses it. The difference between the API on Nvidia hardware and AMD hardware is that with Nvidia, certain effects are GPU accelerated. Not all effects, and probably not even most effects.

PhysX can outsource some calculations from the Central Processor Unit (CPU) to the graphic card. By using special techniques, you can achive much faster results and a better gaming experience. Both, your CPU and your graphics card (GPU) must be able to communicate with each other. For this, a game must support PhysX.

If there is no PhysX involved, the CPU will still acts as usally: It will calculate ALL physic calculations on the central processor unit. No matter if it is a AMD or INTEL.

It sounds like you've been getting your information from Nvidia promotional materials. PhysX doesn't do anything unique. At all. Except heavily and purposefully favor Nvidia hardware. PhysX is software. It is a physics API and nothing more. Bullet3D is also a physics API, one that also (magically) can use the GPU for physics. It also (more magically) does that through OpenCL, rather than CUDA, so it runs on all hardware.

It has been said that ArmA3 is going to use only userside-PhysX-effects (lets say: water surfaces, clouds, dust, smoke, fire and so) but thats not exactly true.

You're right, that's not true. Arma 3 uses PhysX for vehicle physics and ragdolls. Maybe particles, but I haven't seen any indication that they use PhysX. Water surfaces have no complex physics in this game. the clouds are the same clouds from TOH, before PhysX was implemented.

Of those things that do or might use PhysX, only particle effects are worth bothering the GPU with, and since it has been confirmed by the devs that the GPU is not (and will not be) used for PhysX, I tend to think particles are not using PhysX.

Don't worry guys, I did a quick search for you..

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?151512-PhysX-processer

There's a thread from a week or so ago talking talking about physx and forcing it to gpu (doesn't actually work, as it's cpu only). Give it a quick read.

Short story, The Physx is CPU only. There is no trickery or method to force it onto gpu. Nor would doing so give you any benefit to performance.

I believe there's a list of all the ingame features and objects that use physx somewhere. The main features of physx are the vehicles, ragdoll, and a few objects that are able to move when hit. I could be wrong about that last one but I cant be bothered to look further into it.

When your answers were right, then the given questions must have been wrong then...

[snip]You require PhysXâ„¢ software when you play with AMD and ATi. The PhysX software is installed during the first-time setup of your ArmA IIIâ„¢.

What? ATI is using PhysX? Since when?

That installation is just a update for users with Nvidia graphics cards.

And please stop swinging the fanboy-hammer here.

Does anyone know where I can get a checked build of the PhysX DLL's? Wishing to do some debug troubleshooting...

What? ATI is using PhysX? Since when?

That installation is just a update for users with Nvidia graphics cards.

And please stop swinging the fanboy-hammer here.

OK, let's assume that any AMD or ATI product can't handle PhysX like you seem to claim. Why can the PCs that have both GPU and CPU from those manifacturers run Arma 3 then? Why do the PhysX calculations work on their PCs?

...because the PhysX is CPU-only and not dependent on the manufacturer of your hardware.

It must be another conspiracy - even Nvidia are lying about it lol:

https://developer.nvidia.com/technologies/physx

NVIDIA PhysX provides game physics solutions for a variety of platforms including PC and all current major game consoles, in both software and hardware-accelerated configurations.

http://physxinfo.com/wiki/PhysX_SDK_3.x

Does anyone know where I can get a checked build of the PhysX DLL's? Wishing to do some debug troubleshooting...
You can Download the SDK at nvdia.

PhysX Was first and foremost a CPU task. Ageia, even tho they made PPU cards still used the CPU. Only Nvidia took that path out, along with support for PPUs (yeah nvidia sux..DUH). But a Dev(such as BIS) could use the CPU since 3.0/3.1 PhysX.

The less than a Handfull of GPU/Nvidia only games could do that too(batman etc..)but Nvidia pay'$ to have exclusivity so you need to buy a NV card...duh.

Edited by kklownboy