kiwi1234

Group names in MP lobby - (Alpha 1-1 etc) can these be changed yet?

Hi All

I know it was raised a lot in Arma2, and apparently the consensus was it couldnt be done, but is there any way yet, or any new way in arma3 to change the group names in the multiplayer lobby, so that instead of reading Alpha1-1, Alpha1-2 etc, they show custom names like Zebra Squad, Llama Squad etc? (or other more militaryish sounding names) :)

I know the description box allows you to change the soldier names, what I want is to replace the group names to make organisation easier for large-group MP co-ops.

Thanks all, any help mucho appreciated!

Thanks Cobra, yeah that indeed names the group - but those names dont show up in the lobby - the groups are all still called Alpha 1-1 etc... Unless I am wrong about this??? I Would love to be proved wrong if you can show a way to make it work?

Maybe it's possible to edit these in mission.sqm? I am not sure. Maybe take a peek in there and see what you can find.

Name the unit in the Description square when you have your unit open in the Editor.

Name the unit in the Description square when you have your unit open in the Editor.

Thanks mate for the suggestion, that works to give a custom name each unit, but not the group. In the MP lobby all are members of the squads are still grouped under Alpha 1-1, Alpha 1-2 etc etc...

It seems there isnt a way to change that - it seems to be hardcoded into the game - hoping someone can tell me otherwise?

Thanks mate for the suggestion, that works to give a custom name each unit, but not the group. In the MP lobby all are members of the squads are still grouped under Alpha 1-1, Alpha 1-2 etc etc...

It seems there isnt a way to change that - it seems to be hardcoded into the game - hoping someone can tell me otherwise?

Sry, just realized what are you asking for, my bad. If setGroupID doesnt work as you said, I dont know what to do. Maybe someone else does.

As far as i know this "feature" isnt in the game and im not sure it ever will be.

For now, use the description field and fill in what ever you want there, but Alha 1-1 will stay the same no matter what i do.

Ive tryed alot but im in the same boat as you :)

Yup, I've been playing with this trying to figure a way to change them with no luck. Pretty sure it's hard coded. I'm hoping they add a setGroupName option or a field in the editor box, would be awesome.

-Simon

I know this is old, but the reason it doesn't change is because for units, if you add setGroupID to their Init field it's not going to change until the unit is Initialized (i.e the mission actually has to start to run the Initialization code). Same if you were to add it in init.sqf, it won't be run until the mission starts.

Nevermind, my solution was already posted and proved that it doesn't work

In theory if you made a function then compiled it using cfgFunctions and used preInit = 1 then couldn't you run the code before the mission starts?

• Like 1

Unfortunately this is not supported for groups, only units.

• Like 1

In theory if you made a function then compiled it using cfgFunctions and used preInit = 1 then couldn't you run the code before the mission starts?

Unfortunately, functions are compiled and ran after the mission starts. I believe it happens after the briefing but before the screen fades in from black

• Like 1

Select the Squad Leader and after the name type '@squadname'.

I believe you need the ACE mod, if it doesn't work.

Sem-t-tulo.png

Sem-t-tulo2.png

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, nedersimoes said:

I believe

34ZQ5LJ.jpgl

And the function you describe comes from CBA.

• Like 2