Sign in to follow this  
Rumpii

Nice FPS increases Dev branch update 28 March 2013

Hi all, I am very new to the forums, but not new to the series from BI (played since Arma 1)

I just wanted to report that since yesterday's Dev branch update i have seen some serious performance increases generally around stratis.

Places where i would have had 40 FPS a few days ago, i now have up to 70 FPS, in Agia marina, i now have around 38-45 FPS depending on where I am in the town, that is comparable to a 29-35 FPS before the update.

Keep going Bohemia! You are doing an awesome job! :D

Seems to be getting better with each update, I'm lucky I haven't had any problems with fps (yet)..:)

I've only just noticed I'm kicking up dust. I only test in third person, play first person in missions. This is the first time I have noticed that I kick up dust, was it there from the launch of the Alpha, happens at a faster pace, none in slow, thats a really simple but neat feature. Even better if enemy ai could react to seeing that dust..:D

Video 1080p for best look (full screen)..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0I0AqW7LRxk

Yep, been there since release.. (the dust kicking)... it could be better, like the dusts that created by vehicles. Currently it looks like dust from bullet impact

I wish I was getting a better frame rate. The last xfouple of dev versions I took a big hit in overall framerate and have stutters that almost make it unplayable.

HD6950 2gig @ 840mhz core 1325 mem

Phenom965b @ 4ghz

12gig ddr 3 system memory

Everything was prettys good until the 3/28 dev build. I hope they can find a formula that works for everyone.

Cheers :D

Yeah, I'm really pleased with the FPS increases with the patches, the dust kicking would be cool if it was noticeable by AI, i think the overall game is such an improvement over Arma 2, but i cant wait to see what features and fixes they will be implementing in the future :)

EDIT:

Sorry to hear that tvig, have you tried using all of the start up parameters available? i've used them since Arma 2 and find them to be a great help in Arma 2 and 3 alpha

I guess alpha is alpha, hopefully they get it optimised in the next weeks/months

For people having FPS problems, low settings are utilised by the CPU while higher settings by the GPU.

Try adding the commandline -cpuCount=4 if you have four or 2 if you have two, as well as setting -maxmemory (1024*(amount of ram in gb))

I don't have a very fast GPU or CPU and I manage to get about 50 fps with ultra on a few of my settings like shadows, very high texture detail, 12000 view distance etc. You just need to equal out your CPU/GPU usage for the best performance.

Seeing ~20% fps increase with build 0.53.103608. Nice! That's the first significant fps increase I've gotten in the Alpha, BTW. Also, those 'cpucount', 'maxmem', 'maxVRAM' startup paramaters never seem to do anything for me.

For people having FPS problems, low settings are utilised by the CPU while higher settings by the GPU.

Try adding the commandline -cpuCount=4 if you have four or 2 if you have two, as well as setting -maxmemory (1024*(amount of ram in gb))

I don't have a very fast GPU or CPU and I manage to get about 50 fps with ultra on a few of my settings like shadows, very high texture detail, 12000 view distance etc. You just need to equal out your CPU/GPU usage for the best performance.

What would I input if I have a CPU that supports hyperthreading, namely a 3770K?

Not complaining but seems to be more texture flickering -from white, to color to white on objects (mostly if not all vegetation) as well as more LOD pops with this one. I have all Quality on Ultra but at least my GPU's been staying at a whopping 82-98%....before the ctd's :o

4xAA;FXAA Ultra and full ATOC.

Edit: GPU high percentage also seemed to be tied into excessive zooming and now I can't recreate white splotchy LOD's. Giving feedback for this game is like reporting on your alcholic spouse -you never know what your going home to..

Edited by froggyluv
Percentage bunk

This is depressing. Everyone else seems to have gained a performance advantage while the game is practically unplayable now on my pc. I just don't get it. I have quite a bit of experience tweaking arma games btw and nothing I do seems to help with these last couple of dev updates. I hope this is only a temporary setback.

So what startup lines should I use with a i7 2700k and a GTX 590?

Edited by Xtri

So what startup lines should I use with a i7 2700k and a GTX 590?

Launch parameters do absolutely nothing for performance.

I haven't really seen any major performance increases in the latest dev builds...mostly using the Helicopter Showcase to check.

Pretty much the same performance between builds, didn't see any noticeable increase in this last dev build.

These startup switches have been neither necessary or desirable for at least 3 years.

Placebo guys... there's no benchmark in the game (probably intentionally) so everything you see is just a combination of factors: server type, from how long the server is running, number of players, number of vehicles, AI, time of the day.. and many other things. Unfortunately there's no improvement in the fps area from the very first day, don't waste your time to try every setting combination, but wait for a real improvement (if there will be one someday...).

Placebo guys... there's no benchmark in the game (probably intentionally)

Actually there is.

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=19801

Gives fairly consistent results, here is some results I used for another thread.

Run 1

Public Build No Affinity Change
nTest One - 42.237
nTest Two - 30.6387
nTest Three - 33.0383
nTest Four - 29.1971
nTest Five - 53.3964
nScoggs's OFPMark is 3770.15

Public Build Affinity Change
nTest One - 51.9878
nTest Two - 36.5458
nTest Three - 38.004
nTest Four - 36.4299
nTest Five - 56.3672
nScoggs's OFPMark is 4386.69

Development Build No Affinity Change
nTest One - 42.6261
nTest Two - 33.0228
nTest Three - 33.6573
nTest Four - 30.4646
nTest Five - 54.1586
nScoggs's OFPMark is 3878.59

nTest One - 53.3266
nTest Two - 38.2214
nTest Three - 37.2911
nTest Four - 38.2531
nTest Five - 56.897
nScoggs's OFPMark is 4479.78

Tested with ArmA3mark0.7.Stratis.pbo

Run 2 (This time restarting Arma3.exe after every run)

Public Build No Affinity Change
nTest One - 41.8149
nTest Two - 31.4658
nTest Three - 31.8796
nTest Four - 30.1432
nTest Five - 52.1855
nScoggs's OFPMark is 3749.78

nTest One - 52.1574
nTest Two - 36.8886
nTest Three - 37.7067
nTest Four - 34.9854
nTest Five - 55.6148
nScoggs's OFPMark is 4347.06

Development Build No Affinity Change
nTest One - 41.9304
nTest Two - 32.2809
nTest Three - 32.8107
nTest Four - 29.8954
nTest Five - 53.7728
nScoggs's OFPMark is 3813.8

nTest One - 52.8827
nTest Two - 38.4797
nTest Three - 39.3654
nTest Four - 37.5704
nTest Five - 57.1333
nScoggs's OFPMark is 4508.63

Tested with ArmA3mark0.7.Stratis.pbo

This is depressing. Everyone else seems to have gained a performance advantage while the game is practically unplayable now on my pc. I just don't get it. I have quite a bit of experience tweaking arma games btw and nothing I do seems to help with these last couple of dev updates. I hope this is only a temporary setback.

You are not alone.I get low fps no matter what I do.I just hope they don't let this turn into another arma 2 fps issue

People should just stop posting about radical FPS increases/decreases unless they used some propper testing tools to validate this. At least use the Benchmark mission that has been developed to compare your results. FPS increases by nearly 100% are pretty much impossible and will most likely result from comparing FPS values from missions with lots of action going on to just placing yourself at the same spot in the editor. The benefit from such comparisons is zero point zero.

I just tried Armamark and i got 1% more points than in the previous build with the same settings, which results in an FPS increase of 0.4 to 0.8 depending on the test.

@Kavoriken

same result. 1-2%

(benchmark and empty editor start screen)

@scoggs

my theory to your results: your cpu was throttling before you set affinity to high. I tried it, set affinity to very high and normal and unchecked one or two cores. Same result and with unchecked cores lower fps.

fps got actually a little bit better for me. problem is that from time to time fps drop to 0 and cpu usage as well. it stays like that for 10sec and goes back to normal