Sign in to follow this  
WonderWaffles

PhysX processer

To all those with NVIDIA video cards only

This will show you how to change your PhysX processor (This gave me a 20-30 FPS increase!!!)

1. Go into your NVIDIA control panel (Right click on desktop)

2. On the left will be a link called PhysX configuration

3. Select your GPU from the drop-down list

This gave me a 20-30 FPS increase in ArmA III. I have not tried the performance with other PhysX games so it might be different

Edited by WonderWaffles
Typo

I had it set to CPU globally because of another thread (that I can't be arsed to find) saying the opposite was true. I will now do a proper test (again).

Parenthesis are fun.

No difference here. Most likely because A3 isn't making use of my 4 cores with 2 threads each (seen by windows as 8 cores). Offloading PhysX to the CPU made no difference with numerous AI crumpling upon death. Non-dev build.

Hello guys, so I want to buy this awesome game, but i don't know if will work on my PC. Can someone say me if it will be enough for good play.

My PC set-up Nvidia Geforce 9800 GT 1GB

3 GB RAM

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+

Thank you :)

Hello guys, so I want to buy this awesome game, but i don't know if will work on my PC. Can someone say me if it will be enough for good play.

My PC set-up Nvidia Geforce 9800 GT 1GB

3 GB RAM

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+

Thank you :)

You can ask in this thread - http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?147391-Will-my-PC-run-this-What-CPU-GPU-to-get-What-settings-What-System-Specifications

And welcome to the forums :)

I have been trying to figure out how to get GPU accelerated PhysX in Arma III and i can't quite get it. I have a GTX 670 and a GTX 460 in my build at the moment and in my nVidia settings my 460 is dedicated to Physx in all games.

The problem is when i get in game my 460 doesn't take any of the PhysX load and stays at 0MHz and at idle temps.

Anyone have any clue why or maybe someone else has this same problem?

GPU PhysX is not Supported so selecting it via Nvidia Controll Panel is useless

GPU PhysX is not Supported so selecting it via Nvidia Controll Panel is useless

Theory or actual source?

Theory or actual source?

Yes, For ARMA3 PhysX is CPU only

Info is around but I'm not going to spend my time looking for it if you can't be bothered.

Edited by EDcase

Can't BIS programm it in a way that if a PhysX card is detected all the pyhsic calculation are done by it?

I would hope such a thing would be change in the coming builds... Forcing Physx to be CPU based is a bad practice... It's bad enough the game doesn't fully utilize the CPU & GPU properly and forcing PhysX to be CPU only would only hurt it more..

Can't BIS programm it in a way that if a PhysX card is detected all the pyhsic calculation are done by it?

They probably can but then NVidia users would have an unfair advantage over ATI (assuming PvP)

Also, ARMA3 does not use heavy PhysX so wouldn't make a huge difference.

Seems to work fine on CPU

Edited by EDcase

I definitely hope that they make it GPU based because after all, PhysX is meant for the GPU

This is the deadest horse in town. Can we stop beating it now?

To all those with NVIDIA video cards only

This will show you how to change your PhysX processor (This gave me a 20-30 FPS increase!!!)

1. Go into your NVIDIA control panel (Right click on desktop)

2. On the left will be a link called PhysX configuration

3. Select your GPU from the drop-down list

This gave me a 20-30 FPS increase in ArmA III. I have not tried the performance with other PhysX games so it might be different

Don't take that effect, apart from that has been said about PhysX and ARMAIII I really don't belive in any tweak that actually can give you and extra half of your actual in game FPS. Engine optimization and a better GC will do :P

The PhysX used in Arma 3, is simple enough that it would see no improvement being run on gpu. Keeping it on the CPU is the best thing they can do for Arma 3. If only because it doesn't alienate a large portion of the users.

PhysX is a locked platform and a scam by a company to hinder their competition. Locking out features and bullying developers to remove really shows unethical business practices.

It's been happening so long people don't even look twice now. But yet there is a huge uproar when it happens to nvidia users, look recently with AMD's TressFX in tomb raider. Why not push for AMD locked gpu platforms?

And I do agree, this thread is dead. no need for it to still be open for debate.

The PhysX used in Arma 3, is simple enough that it would see no improvement being run on gpu. Keeping it on the CPU is the best thing they can do for Arma 3. If only because it doesn't alienate a large portion of the users.

PhysX is a locked platform and a scam by a company to hinder their competition. Locking out features and bullying developers to remove really shows unethical business practices.

It's been happening so long people don't even look twice now. But yet there is a huge uproar when it happens to nvidia users, look recently with AMD's TressFX in tomb raider. Why not push for AMD locked gpu platforms?

And I do agree, this thread is dead. no need for it to still be open for debate.

The sentence you are looking for is "TOO COMPLEX TO BE RUN ON GPU". You do realize that modern GPUs are very good for things such as particle physics. They have hundreds of cores, each core capable only of calculating simple things, such as falling debris. The modern CPU is geared towards extremely complex calculations, such as "where things should be in a three-dimensional world".

No. Enabling GPU PhysX doesn't mean anything for AMD users. They can still run PhysX on the CPU as they are now, and do in every other game that has PhysX. The only PhysX "features" people using AMD hardware are locked out of are the prettier visual effects that have no impact on gameplay. This is done so that companies can use PhysX without locking out half their customers, which no company in their right mind would ever do.

PhysX is not some magical code that runs on GeForce hardware and makes games better. The only difference AMD and Geforce users are likely to ever see are fancier particle effects and debris (fluff debris, not anything that impacts gameplay).

Edited by Fuse

...or they could do like many of the other PhysX games and have an option to switch between CPU and GPU. For you it might not improve performance, but for me it would help greatly.

Well, in mafia 2 you could choose to run the more impressive effects on the cpu as well. Just eyecandy of course, didn't really improve the game, those effects were a bit over the top if you ask me.

arma of course doesnt use any gpu physx. So there's no point in changing the settings.

Originally, I was totally against PhysX in Arma 3. Then I got some hands on time with the SDK, and realized that GPU accelerated physX is just one small tiny facet of the PhysX engine and what it's capable of, even on the CPU. Arma 3's CPU PhysX implementation isn't advanced. They're not throwing in a thousand particle effects that requires GPGPU processing to keep up. It's simply modeling vehicle Physics and rag-dolls. (maybe thrown objects as well, not sure). Every other modern Physics engine can do the same and far more on CPU, and the PhysX engine is no different. PhysX does just as well or better. PhysX 3 isn't CPU crippled anymore, so using it as a CPU physics platform (just like the consoles do, hur dur) is exactly what Arma 3 needs.

You guys need to get over thinking of PhysX as a GPU bound process or something "designed for the GPU", because it's simply not true anymore.

Lets not forget that PhysX was originally written to run on the CPU anyways, and it wasn't until Agia came around and bought them up that dedicated physics processing came to be.

Edited by TheCapulet
Terrible phone spelling.

Originally, I was totally against PhysX in Arma 3. Then I got some hands on time with the SDK, and realized that GPU accelerated physX is just one small tiny facet of the PhysX engine and what it's capable of, even on the CPU. Arma 3's CPU PhysX implementation isn't advanced. They're not throwing in a thousand particle effects that requires GPGPU processing to keep up. It's simply modeling vehicle Physics and rag-dolls. (maybe thrown objects as well, not sure). Every other modern Physics engine can do the same and far more on CPU, and the PhysX engine is no different. PhysX does just as well or better. PhysX 3 isn't CPU crippled anymore, so using it as a CPU physics platform (just like the consoles do, hur dur) is exactly what Arma 3 needs.

You guys need to get over thinking of PhysX as a GPU bound process or something "designed for the GPU", because it's simply not true anymore.

Lets not forget that PhysX was originally written to run on the CPU anyways, and it wasn't until Agia came around and bought them up that dedicated physics processing came to be.

I would just like to have the option because it would help my framerate greatly; coming from someone who doesn't have a really fast processor of course.

With the already low CPU and GPU utilization, this is the least they could do.