kwhy

Voice Activation for Arma 3 via VAC Builder Profile and other software...

Hi , I cant get this too work in Arma 3 latest version I dont know what could be wrong , I downloaded and installed the VAC trial , set it up and my mic works in Windows and the VAC program , loaded up Wabbits Arma 3 profile and tested it in VAC builder and all is recognized with my mic and the program , I have the VAC Icon with the P and green O showing the profile is loaded and its listening , start up Arma 3 and nothing its not issuing my commands , I cant even hear the sound when VAC is toggled on and off which is clearly heard in windows when Arma 3 is not running , Ive watched the videos here and followed the settings and returned my Arma 3 keyboard to Arma 3 default , still nothing it wont work in game .

Any ideas on what the problem can be ?

Im on Win 7 64 .

Thanks .

I remember I also had problems when I started to use VAC. I studied the help forum at www.dwvac.com and found a working solution. Sorry, I don't precisely remember what helped me. But there are several people reporting the same problem. Among the solutions offered most are:

- Run VAC as admin.

- Check if you use push-to-activate and make sure you are pressing the right key.

- VAC sends the keys to the active windows. Close or minimize all other applications.

I finally got it to work in game but it seems kinda clunky and lagging like sometimes it responds and sometimes it dont , which makes the toggle annoying because your not sure if its on or off , it doesnt seem anywhere near as fluid as Wabbits videos , my machine is powerful so it shouldnt be that , is this the best program for voice control ?

Cheers

Rodbar,

please explain how you got it to work. This will help the next guy.

You can make any voice control software more responsive by doing several of the windows trainings for the voice feature. The more of the texts you read into the machine the better your computer will understand your voice. This is very important. Then, if you find, that certain commands are more clun ky than others, change the activation phrase. You can also write the words as you pronounce them, phonetically. This also helps, ewspecially whrn dealing with abbreviations.

The power of your PC shouldn't matter too much, but the quality of your mic and the noise in the room certainly does. A quiet room and gaming with a headset is best. Loudspeakers and a mic on the table is not so good.

I personally think that VAC works best for me. But you should definetely try GlovePie which is free. Many people use it and like it. Ready-to-use profiles are available. But I could not get it to work, no matter how hard i tried. Maybe GlovePie is the solution for you.

You're not alone Rodbar. I have trouble with VAC (not Wabbit's profile in particular), with it not recognising what I've said or thinking I've said something else. I use a headset and mic and have done about three cycles of the voice training. I've played with the mic level on my onboard Realteak soundcard, using +20 or +30 boost and turning the input level down to about 40-50%, which gives about the right level for Teamspeak, etc. There's quite a lot of hiss on there when using the boost (Teamspeak filters it out fairly well) but it's needed to get the levels up to a reasonable level. Sometimes I have to repeat a command several times before it triggers, which is obviously not good enough.

One problem I've found with VAC is that it doesn't seem to have a recognition threshold, or it's very low, so that when I had a profile to launch games it was launching Far Cry 3 when I said Crysis 3 (I think I'd disabled or forgotten to add the Crysis 3 phrase). Clearly they're not that similar but I guess it heard Cry and 3 and that was close enough for it, when really it shouldn't have been.

Anyway, I'll keep trying to tweak VAC and my mic to get it working reliably as it'll be great if I can sort it out. I don't use the toggle by the way, just a mouse button as a PTT key.

All I did to get it to work Alpha-kilo was make sure I had it running as admin and my settings being all right in VAC and use the toggle correctly I was toggling on and off on every command , the delay or lag is normal so they say on the VAC forums its about 1 second , Ive got to learn the commands more fluidly , my mic is a Andrea anti noise headset mic specific for voice recognition as I have Dragon installed and my game room is quite , I think Ive got to use it more with VAC and as you say train it better although it gets it all right in the VAC builder when testing commands .

It seems the AI is a bit weird , you tell them to get in a truck and go to a place on the map and to watch them take 5 minutes to get anywhere is funny , like drunks in a car park that cant find the way out and they have run me over twice , same as flank left and flank right they go off anywhere , probably because its Alpha and the AI is not honed , I need to experiment more with it .

I also get errors with it breaking .ocx files that i must register again in windows .

doveman , I have a razor mouse and was thinking of putting the toggle on a mouse button I have 2 extras on the left side I hope they show up as a selection option when I get the app going again , today VAC builder has mscomct2.ocx error , I hate programs that work fine today and not tomorrow .

Cheers

Ive just tried to register in the VAC forums and cannot because of its anti spam filter , I fill out the puzzle correctly but it dont recognize it , happening on 2 machines , they have no email to contact which is poor service as I need to know some things before I buy this thing and there is no way of contacting them , if anyone here is on their forums can you let them know people cant join because I their puzzle error .

Edited by Rodbar

Rodbar,

thanks for explaining what you did. It seems you're getting somewehere. The weirdness of the AI, which you observed correctly, has nothing to do with voice control. By typing the command you would see the same behaviour. AI pathfinding and similar issues have been a subject of discussion on this forum since the beginning. After working with builder and verifying the result with notepad you might want to put a group of foot soldiers and a few empty vehicles in the editor and use the airport with its long runway as a testing environment.

Another thing: When you say a command, VAC sends it to the game. Your avatar says it again and the AI confirms it. Then they begin to execute it. You can speed up the process by disabling parts of the sound output with an addon such as "mrb_a3_voicestop".

There is a normal email adress where you can report your problem with VAC's forum: vacsupport@dwvac.com

Thanks for tips Alpha I,ll look into that voicestop addon , and thanks for that Email address , you know I searched everywhere on their sight for a contact email I must have missed it .

Run as Admin is important on my machine it seems , I disabled UAC so I didnt have to run as admin but VAC wouldnt work , went back and enabled UAC and ran VAC as admin and it works in game again go figure .

Cheers

Did anyone ever manage to fix the 1.5 version?

EDIT: Sorry, should have checked first. It seems the version available for download has now been fixed and loads fine into VAC :)

Edited by doveman

I installed on win8 x64 and had troubles running VAC builder fro the system tray icon, etc. then when testing commands. You need to INSTALL as admin (rt click the installer).

It has to register 2 x ActiveX components and the current installer version cant to is alone it would seem, (manually de-registering then re-registering them fixed it as I couldn't be bothered to reinstall.

Hello there

Im adoring this (DWVAC) software and Jojo's profile.

I find as long as I enunciate my words correctly them the recognition is fine. When I become lazy and drop my T's for example then I get problems, but using my English News reader voice seems to work very well indeed.

I now look forward to having team mates.

My only issue is that you cannot move whilst giving commands. and that commands wait until ones avatar has repeated them for them to function, so it feels more like one is a radio operator relaying commands to the team leader.

Its still great though.

Rgds

LoK

My only issue is that you cannot move whilst giving commands. and that commands wait until ones avatar has repeated them for them to function, so it feels more like one is a radio operator relaying commands to the team leader.

There's a mod called VACommander (I think) that removes the avatar's voice so that he doesn't repeat what you say. I prefer to keep the voice so that I know my command went through properly.

I love VAC, so glad I gave it a chance and learnt how to set it up, it's very handy for commanding AI.

I've got VAC and think it's great, the AI are much more manageable with it. But I was wondering; does anyone know which Windows 7 file contains the actual fingerprint of your voice as I'd like to be able to back it up or maybe transfer it to other PCs?

I've got VAC and think it's great, the AI are much more manageable with it. But I was wondering; does anyone know which Windows 7 file contains the actual fingerprint of your voice as I'd like to be able to back it up or maybe transfer it to other PCs?

They're in your User folder but it's best to just use this tool to backup and restore the profiles. http://news.softpedia.com/news/Windows-7-Speech-Recognition-Profile-Tool-112793.shtml

@Doveman. Tried to download the backup tool from the link you gave but good old microsoft require you to first validate your copy of windows with a code - but when you download the validation program that's supposed to give you a validation code to enter on microsofts website, and run it, it gives you an error message saying the validation program is out of date and no longer supported, lol. But not to worry, I'll have a root around my users home folder and see if I can find the profile, don't know why I didn't think of that earlier. Thank's for your help Doveman!

How do I go about changing my push to talk button with TheWabbit's profile?

How do I go about changing my push to talk button with TheWabbit's profile?

Start up VACBuilder (I'm using v3.1.7) and load up TheWabbit's profile. Then look up in the top right corner for the Profile Attributes tab, click on this tab. Now about halfway down on the right side you should see Profile Activation Keys with the feilds your looking for. And don't forget to save it.

Start up VACBuilder (I'm using v3.1.7) and load up TheWabbit's profile. Then look up in the top right corner for the Profile Attributes tab, click on this tab. Now about halfway down on the right side you should see Profile Activation Keys with the feilds your looking for. And don't forget to save it.

Thank you Sir!

Hey Wabbit,

I have a problem with vac. I've had it running before a while ago when Arma was still in beta. I tried to run it today and I updated to the newest version but I don't think that is the problem. I've read about starting it in administrator mode and I do that but when I left click on the icon in the tray and click on VAC builder to run this is the error I get.

"Component 'Tabctl32.ocx' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid"

I'm registered with VAC and have a key so that isn't the problem.

When I go to the folder and try and run the VAC builder it comes up but I don't think it is running in administrative mode because when I try and run it using the left click and administrator mode I get the same error.

Any help you can give me would be appreciated.

Thanks

ScalpelOne

Hey Wabbit,

I have a problem with vac. I've had it running before a while ago when Arma was still in beta. I tried to run it today and I updated to the newest version but I don't think that is the problem. I've read about starting it in administrator mode and I do that but when I left click on the icon in the tray and click on VAC builder to run this is the error I get.

"Component 'Tabctl32.ocx' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid"

When I go to the folder and try and run the VAC builder it comes up but I don't think it is running in administrative mode because when I try and run it using the left click and administrator mode I get the same error.

Thanks

ScalpelOne

You could try the following -

Do a search for tabctl32.ocx and note the directory it's in

Go to the command prompt as admin and change to that directory using the cd command

eg. cd C:\Windows\SysWOW64 {press the enter key}

then...

regsvr32 /u tabctl32.ocx {press the enter key}

regsvr32 tabctl32.ocx {press the enter key}

exit {press the enter key}

You may find once you've registered that particular file that you'll need to register a few others before VACBuilder with work properly.

Hey Wabbit,

Thanks

ScalpelOne

I get that same error.

My work around that is working for me: When messing with Builder I DO NOT run as administrator and I made sure VAC System is Closed. However, when I'm using VAC to play in game I DO run as administrator and make sure Builder is closed.

I have stopped getting that error when doing things that way.

---------- Post added at 02:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:51 PM ----------

My Problem: When I have a push to activate Voice Commands enabled my VAC does not work in game. However, if I changed the Voice Commands key to NONE it does work in game.

However, not having a "push to talk" button often ends up with VAC thinking I'm trying to give voice commands when I'm not like if I talk to someone in the room or in TeamSpeak.

Am I doing something wrong? I tried having my push to command button as just "mouse2". Are there only specific keys that can be used for this?

Hello there

I use my VAC with the builder open with no issues...

My advice is pop over to the dwvac forums and ask there. The guys are very helpful indeed.

Although if you sort your issues, dont forget to post the solutions here too.

Rgds

LoK

DoRo, I've got my VAC push to talk key set to the lefthand windows key (L-WIN in VAC) and it works OK. Maybe the key that you've set for push to talk in VAC is also bound to something else in game?

DoRo, I've got my VAC push to talk key set to the lefthand windows key (L-WIN in VAC) and it works OK. Maybe the key that you've set for push to talk in VAC is also bound to something else in game?

When I run the Test in VAC Builder I get "Phrase recognized, but activation key not pressed.". However, when I push the key I have set the green light in the bottom left box next to Push to Activate Key does light up green........so to me that means it has been pressed.