kwhy

Voice Activation for Arma 3 via VAC Builder Profile and other software...

I ran across this recent video (I swear this was a forum post, but can't find it now) on someone using Voice Activated Command program from

http://www.dwvac.com/

with Arma 3 to control ingame computer AI via microphone which really changes the way the game works IMO...

After more searching I found that JoJoTheSlayer on these forums created a great profile for Arma OA which can be downloaded at dwvac site for the VAC program.

http://www.dwvac.com/profiles.html

JoJoTheSlayer's main forum post was here (a bit old now and is for Arma2 OA, therefore I started a new post here)

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?98078-VACbuilder-Arma-2-profile&highlight=vac+builder

last night I downloaded and installed his v305 profile with the Voice Activated Command Program above and it works, but I'm guessing it might need some modification or slight changes. Also, it looks like someone might have set a request for this to be a feature via the feedback tracker, but I can't access that site now.

I was curious if anyone else is currently using this or any other Voice Activated Command Software with Arma 3 Alpha and has a profile set up and working? Any recent profiles setup or planned? Maybe whomever did the video might chime in if they are working on a new profile.

I used VAC before to play Arma 2, it works out pretty well. There is also a free software out there that some people have been using called GlovePIE, it may take a little more work but it's free! Another software I found was something called, Shoot. But I haven't tried it yet.

http://glovepie.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1075

http://clans.gameclubcentral.com/shoot/

That's actually my video. I was using the old ARMA 2 VAC profile during that run. I've never liked it (too complicated and relied on long statements) but I was too lazy to build my own. Since A3 Alpha is focused on infantry, I am building the ARMA 3 profile the same way. I'm not designing it to replace all keys but to act as a radio to 'communicate' with AI units. I've added a radio effect and method to turn it on/off. My VAC profile is designed to by simpler to use and edit to your play style.

Here is my VAC profile page if you would like to try it: http://www.simulationhq.com/vac/. I will continue to refine the controls as I progress. When Beta and Final arrive, I will also add control for the new unit types.

I did a couple more videos to test and refine the profile. Not perfect but I'm working on it.

Edited by TheWabbit

Looking good so far.

Whether it might be an idea to have two profiles, a basic and a more complex, trying to pair the basic down to the bare bones of selecting soldiers and then moving back and forth through the command menu, obviously the main aim being to make any profile, complex or otherwise, as sparse and intuitive as possible while still giving the widest range of directions of travel through the command tree.

I also have a preference for using two words when one will do as an extra insurance against errors and in that vein I wonder whether it might be advisable to say "Soldier one", "Soldier two" rather than just "one", "two" etc .

Anyway thanks for the taking the time and effort to share and I'm looking forward to see how your profile evolves.

---------- Post added at 07:10 ---------- Previous post was at 06:43 ----------

Is there a printable command tree somewhere ?

Damacles,

You might want to try the file linked in my signature. It lists the commands in ArmA2 and ideas for phrases you can use as voice commands. As you said, it is often better to use two words instead of one - especially if the words are very short and/or sound similar.

I have been thinking about TheWabbit's approach. Of course it sounds logical to use the voice command software just like a radio to order the AI around but in my opinion it makes sense to include the actions of the player's character, as well. After a while it becomes natural to use voice commands and there are situations where voice commanding yourself makes sense. Think about actions you take so rarely that you simply forget the key. In my case it would be something like "sit down" or "surrender". Also, if you have to perform complicated key combinations in moments of panic a quick shout may save the crucial fraction of a second. And - lets face it - using keystrokes to change stance is not more realistic than yelling at yourself.

I tried the speech recognition that comes with win7 (pro), together with "windows speech recognition macros" (free download). Somebody on these forums made a profile for it, the topic should be in the arma2 section somewhere.

edit: found it http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?96773-ARMA-2-and-VAC-(Voice-Activated-Commands)&p=1935888&viewfull=1#post1935888

Thanks for the feedback Damacles and alpha-kilo.

In the next update to the profile, I think I am going to move to a two-word activation. I'll start with 'Alpha one', 'Alpha two', 'Alpha three', etc. to select the soldiers. There are some items that can be activated by voice (map, compass, gps, etc.) I added these so you don't have to move your hand off the mouse and WASD while playing. These will also get two-word activation. I don't change stance by voice. It can be done faster by keyboard command without moving the WASD hand.

My goal for VAC is immersion but also to allow the player to control the game without looking down.

Nice job TheWabbit, looking forward to your next update.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention, I'm trying it now. Is there any way to improve the accuracy? Five/Fire get confused alot, or is the only way to add two word phrases. Currently changed fire to shoot.

Tekray,

Avoiding similar sounding words is very helpful. Think of "watch". This word might be used to show the timepiece but also in an order to scan for enemies. Choosing two-word commands if the words are short, also helps (such as "Soldier One" instead of "One"). The best thing to increase accuracy is "training" the Windows voice module by reading some or all of the sugested texts. This can be done whenever you have time. there is no need to do it before you start using VAC.

I'm updating the profile today to use two-word voice commands for most commands. Some single word menu commands will remain that way.

In the new profile, the O key is Time on/off or Wristwatch on/off. I'm reserving the word 'Watch' for the direction command for the soldiers since that is how the menu lists it. I'll update this thread when I'm finished.

I'm also adding functionality to the download website. I have parsed the profile so you can see all the commands of the VAC profile and their key binding, phrases, etc. When I have time (probably over the weekend), I will build the UI so you can build a complete profile online to save and load in VAC. Don't want to use 'Alpha 1-20' to call your soldiers, you will be able to switch it to something else like 'Charlie', 'Foxtrot', 'Golf', or whatever you want.

Edited by TheWabbit

Tekray,

Avoiding similar sounding words is very helpful. Think of "watch". This word might be used to show the timepiece but also in an order to scan for enemies. Choosing two-word commands if the words are short, also helps (such as "Soldier One" instead of "One"). The best thing to increase accuracy is "training" the Windows voice module by reading some or all of the sugested texts. This can be done whenever you have time. there is no need to do it before you start using VAC.

I've generally found A2 profiles have worked OK just saying "one, two, three" to select soliders and it's obviously less of a mouthful than saying "soldier one, soldier two, soldier three" but yeah, VAC can be funny with single words. I setup a profile to launch games by saying "Arma" (set as Armour in VAC)" and "Far Cry Three" and it would launch Far Cry 3 whenever I said Arma until I changed it to Arma Two (Armour Two), even though I don't think Armour sounds anything like Far Cry Three!

---------- Post added at 17:24 ---------- Previous post was at 17:20 ----------

I'm updating the profile today to use two-word voice commands for most commands. Some single word menu commands will remain that way.

In the new profile, the O key is Time on/off or Wristwatch on/off. I'm reserving the word 'Watch' for the direction command for the soldiers since that is how the menu lists it. I'll update this thread when I'm finished.

I'm also adding functionality to the download website. I have parsed the profile so you can see all the commands of the VAC profile and their key binding, phrases, etc. When I have time (probably over the weekend), I will build the UI so you can build a complete profile online to save and load in VAC. Don't want to use 'Alpha 1-20' to call your soldiers, you will be able to switch it to something else like 'Charlie', 'Foxtrot', 'Golf', or whatever you want.

Sounds cool, looking forward to it. One thing I always try to remember when making VAC profiles is to use the default keys and reset them to default in Arma, otherwise if I set it up with different keys then others won't be able to use it without changing their controls in Arma to match mine. It shouldn't really matter if the default keys are awkward anyway, as we're not going to be using them but voice commands instead.

I did a VAC profile several years ago for ArmA 1, now long lost, but I think I had the watch set up as "Look at watch" this obviously brought up the watch, it was a natural, easily remembered phrase, but rather than repeat the phrase or say another one to put the watch away, more phrases, more complexity, I simply had a delay and repeat command inserted. This brought up the watch gave me enough time to look at the time and then put it away without having to say anything.

I did a VAC profile several years ago for ArmA 1, now long lost, but I think I had the watch set up as "Look at watch" this obviously brought up the watch, it was a natural, easily remembered phrase, but rather than repeat the phrase or say another one to put the watch away, more phrases, more complexity, I simply had a delay and repeat command inserted. This brought up the watch gave me enough time to look at the time and then put it away without having to say anything.

That's a cool idea, I like that. For GPS and Compass I often want to keep them on so just use "Open/Close GPS" or "Toggle GPS" so that they stay up and before VAC I tended to just map "Toggle compass" to 2xV and didn't use the show whilst held button but for some things your method is better.

At the moment, subject to change, my VAC/Teamspeak/VON set up is mapped to my forward/back keys on the side of my mouse. I use headphones so I tend to leave VAC on, pressing the back button on my mouse disables VAC and enables the press to talk for VON, the forward button does the same but for VAC. Like I say, this is subject to change, it's a long time since I played ArmA and had such a potentially complex VAC profile.

One of the reasons I recommend a basic/core VAC profile as a separate base is, if you intend to share it, it can be easily remembered, even by an dunce like me, which gives new users a foot in the door and then the confidence to use and expand the profile further themselves using phrases and commands that are more natural/intuitive and thus easily remembered added to the fact that if they collate the commands themselves they are more likely to remember them.

One thing I like about the profile over at dwvac is the option of having it set up for an ArmA game with both a fast or low frame rate.

VAC really is a first rate program and I'm surprised I don't hear of it being used more often.

What I do is have one mouse side button mapped to TS3 (Insert), which also works for ACRE direct chat in-game, the other mapped to END which is my ACRE radio transmit key and then I have the MB7 (to the left of the scroll wheel) for VAC, which I used to use as Hold to control but I'm experimenting with Arm mode at the moment.

Didn't know this existed. Thanks for pointing this out, will probably try it out soon.

If anyone wants to try it, my new ARMA 3 VAC Profile 1.1 is online. I'm still working on the updates for the site but wanted to get the profile out. You can also see all the commands available and the variations. The table is pulled directly from the VAC profile.

http://www.simulationhq.com/vac/

If anyone wants to try it, my new ARMA 3 VAC Profile 1.1 is online. I'm still working on the updates for the site but wanted to get the profile out. You can also see all the commands available and the variations. The table is pulled directly from the VAC profile.

http://www.simulationhq.com/vac/

Cool, thanks.

Cheers TheWabbit I'll give it a go, although as lazy as I am, I still think, from a memorizing stand point, that it's worth individuals doing their own. That said it's brilliant seeing how everybody sets up and uses their profiles, especially for a game like ArmA that's just screaming out for it to be used.

Like I say though, quickly glancing at your profile, I have a couple of commands set up with a delay and repeat so that I don't have say the command again for example "Look at watch" and "Salute Front", maybe you should try it, it feels more natural. You might consciously think about looking at a watch or saluting in the real world but you don't particularly think about not doing it, if you see what I mean.

Thanks for the ideas Damacles. I don't use the salute much so I haven't added it ... yet. I also like the glance for watch and compass using 'look at' or 'glance at'.

Edited by TheWabbit

Okay. I'm testing version 1.3 now with the salute that goes up and down and the compass/time glances. So far, they are working well. I'm still trying to get one of the dynamic tables to work properly. Most of them want JSON and I'm parsing the profile from the native XML.

Just to let you know, I note you've used Select 1, Select 2 when you really need to spell the numbers out for reliable recognition, so Select One, Select Two, etc