Sign in to follow this  
pd3

In the future apparently human beings are not subject to inertia or weight.

I'm pretty sure that the new aiming is the best and biggest change since ofp 1.00. All the other stuff like lighting/scripts/vehicles blah blah blah is just eye candy, The aiming is really what makes a game. I can't believe people are ragging on this stuff...A3 is stuffed top to bottom with 100% pure awesomesauce. Its like they took good old ofp, made it super smooth, stuffed as many far-out daydream goodies as they could into it (render to texture, physx, heat distortion, ragdoll, customizable weapons) and then sold it for 1/2 price of their other titles. Sure, it needs a little tweak here or there, but I think we will finally get to see the ofp series in a final polished state. From that there will be no reason to go back to the "old ways"
The most beautiful spit in the eye of Codemasters, well done Sakura_Chan. :lol:

Like I said in the other thread: played Black Ops 2 (hey it was a free weekend on Steam) and played Arma 3... never reconsidered passing on Black Ops 2, looked forward to Arma 3, because I knew what I wanted that BI/A3 would give me and COD -- or rather Activision -- never will. :D

Every complaint that can be leveled against proper mouse controls can be solved by simple aiming/shooting mechanics. Games like Rainbox Six and Ghost Recon, the originals, did this many years ago. A3 has some aspects of this currently, but they could (and should) be fleshed out further.

If it were like the old ghost recons or r6 (up to raven shield) I'd celebrate. However the "some aspects of this" isn't really noticable, sure the crosshair gets slightly bigger but it still seems very accurate even if you do a 180 instant turn. The aimpoint is just as fast and dead on target.

you say turning speed should be limited while prone, which is good, but please, also while sprinting. Sprinting and doing some wild mouse movements is now the epic dodge move as you can instantly turn and be running the other direction.

and what you do in that video can be sortof done in reallife, but can you do the same with an lmg? In arma3 it currently doesn't matter if you have a pistol or the heaviest weapon. it all behaves the same (or the difference is so subtle you dont notice)

Turbo running one minute up a steep sloped hill with full gear+AT and only slightly hearing breath - even more easily.

Running speed debuff is too weak, there is little progression from idle to full running. Not to mention prone rotation. Sometimes I feel soldier skating rather than running.

We want realism not FarCry fights.

You can love it or hate it, you can say it can be done in real life, but in videos it looks arcadish.

You can love it or hate it, you can say it can be done in real life, but in videos it looks arcadish.

So you should avoid something that you're able to do in real life because of appearance?

You mean to tell me you can turn with a pistol in one hand and slay a hostile.. you did that with a full infantryman's combat load in a warzone?

well, they removed a patch (negative acceleration) on a gaping wound (weapons have no weight, character no rot. moment of inertia). So now you can aim and check your back like in all other twitchshooters. I'll upload a video to demonstrate.

l33t fps skillz yo. but seriously, if I can do this what will veteran counterstrike players be able to do? the aimpoint is just as fast and completely accurate if you take the zeroing into account (aim for the neck :p)

I think it was partly to attract more mainstream fps players and partly an attempt of improving CQB, but imo the problem with cqb in arma was always the interaction with buildings and other objects, just isn´t solid, and hasn´t improved enough in arma3 to make cqb any good.

the only thing stopping you from doing this kind of twitchshooting in multiplayer is low fps.

Here's some things, just IMO.

Your observation should be put to a ticket, infact i might add one later, because you are absolutely correct.

There should always be an accuracy penalty for NOT ADS regardless of whether the weapon is shouldered or not, there should also be a penalty for movement + ADS, the greater the speed of player movement the greater the accuracy penalty.

To be honest, this seems like "basic" stuff to me that MUST be done right and i am really hoping this issue is just the result of incomplete work and not something intended for final release.

Weapon handling needs to be done right or will be considered "game breaking" to many i'm, sure you agree.

---------- Post added at 20:07 ---------- Previous post was at 19:59 ----------

this is why BF3 is such a joke...some people have there mouse sensitivity maxed out and can pull off these inhuman snap turns that would make flash Gordon jealous

Thats just crappy netcode.

You mean to tell me you can turn with a pistol in one hand and slay a hostile.. you did that with a full infantryman's combat load in a warzone?

The warzone part is sort of irrelevant. You train as you fight, especially in the Marines.

So yeah, he's most likely trained to do this in full combat load.

I'd tell you to go pick up any long piece of something that could be moved around as if it was a weapon and move it as fast as you can and tell me that ARMA 3 did something wrong but I assume that is out of your thought process when you came here to complain like 90% of people that don't get the concept of Alpha, I can move a weapon like object in a full circle in under a second without much trouble and real soldiers have a hell of a lot more training than I do (considering I have none), Bottom line is the aiming is perfectly fine and a lot better than arma 2 when it comes to realism, Why do a lot of you seem to think moving a weapon 180 degrees takes like 5 seconds like it did in Arma 2, I think the problem is real life limitations look very unrealistic when its translated to video games which is why we feel the need to slow everything down a bit more to get it to seem a bit more realistic.

Are you answering for him or are you answering from your personal experience?

Are you answering for him or are you answering from your personal experience?

Both, I guess. I know Dslyecxi was in the Marines, and I know I was too.

I can't comment on how he was trained, but I can comment on my training.

---------- Post added at 14:30 ---------- Previous post was at 14:27 ----------

I thought there was a decent discussion going on here. Why are you bailing?

Why do a lot of you seem to think moving a weapon 180 degrees takes like 5 seconds like it did in Arma 2,.

Either your real bad at Arma2 or just clueless, whatever.

There was no issue with movement/aiming speed except the OTT in/out movement of the weapon when ADS + walking, but you adapted to that.

Coming from a lowly 11c1p I know I wasnt trained in spinning around with pistol. Not that I got much training with anything other than the m4, my 81 and 60.

Perhaps I was on the poor end of physical fitness/ dexterity for army soldier, but carrying my usual load and doing some of the things there without a metric shit ton of pain and falling over seem impossible.

Maybe with some of the training that he has but unfortunately most of my training involved carrying tree trunks and things of that nature so we could keep up with the bravo's.

I thought there was a decent discussion going on here. Why are you bailing?
#1: you dared to talk back to him instead of just caving to his "superior wisdom". :p #2: These threads seem to inevitably turn into a proxy for the inevitable and ongoing "new players vs. cranky old vets" (I honestly believe that this deepened after the Steamworks announcement and the positive reception of the alpha release proved that yeah, the Steamworks announcement wasn't going to hurt BI, the boycotters would either cave or more than be made up for) if not outright flame-bait and to Binkowski's credit I wouldn't blame him if he doesn't want to participate in seemingly inevitable drama.

It should also be pointed out that Dslyecxi specifically mentioned (further) tactical training on top of military training.

Re: Arma 2 OTT movement of weapon in and out -- that's part of why I'm so happy about the current state and combat pace+ADS, because I'd much prefer the current implementation to anything near what A2 had, the A2 situation merely hurt my eyes and was adversely disorienting.

Coming from a lowly 11c1p I know I wasnt trained in spinning around with pistol. Not that I got much training with anything other than the m4, my 81 and 60.

Perhaps I was on the poor end of physical fitness/ dexterity for army soldier, but carrying my usual load and doing some of the things there without a metric shit ton of pain and falling over seem impossible.

Maybe with some of the training that he has but unfortunately most of my training involved carrying tree trunks and things of that nature so we could keep up with the bravo's.

SOI. Of course, if you did any specialty training in small arms/handguns, you would have received irregular firing positions, including offhand and on the move. And yes, the El Presidente.

Also, after I left the Marines, I joined the Coast Guard. Where you drill extensively with your sidearm, especially in an MSST or a TACLET. Frequently we did the El Presidente drill, and quite a few were on the move.

Edited by ak1287
cleared up some wording.

#1: you dared to talk back to him instead of just caving to his "superior wisdom". :p #2: These threads seem to inevitably turn into a proxy for the inevitable and ongoing "new players vs. cranky old vets" (I honestly believe that this deepened after the Steamworks announcement and the positive reception of the alpha release proved that yeah, the Steamworks announcement wasn't going to hurt BI, the boycotters would either cave or more than be made up for) if not outright flame-bait and to Binkowski's credit I wouldn't blame him if he doesn't want to participate in seemingly inevitable drama..

#1: I'm glad that he said something, and that's good. I accept his argument, and do not feel to argue anything more. But for you to come in and call my post "superior wisdom" is just wrong. Thank you for putting words in my mouth and instantly labeling me as one of your "cranky old vets". Much appreciated.

#2. No, I don't want to deal with the petty bullshit drama that goes on in these forums now. And quite honestly, you are not helping by instantly labeling people as "cranky old vets" because they have a join date before you and because they disagree with your points. I don't like the Steam thing and I still don't. But does it matter? No. Because it's not going to change.

Re: Arma 2 OTT movement of weapon in and out -- that's part of why I'm so happy about the current state and combat pace+ADS, because I'd much prefer the current implementation to anything near what A2 had, the A2 situation merely hurt my eyes and was adversely disorienting.

Yes, it actually feels good now, it's just the issue of now having weightless weapons with point-click laser accuracy regardless of ADS or not, maybe I exaggerate I haven't played the alpha much in the last 3 weeks......

#1: you dared to talk back to him instead of just caving to his "superior wisdom". :p #2: These threads seem to inevitably turn into a proxy for the inevitable and ongoing "new players vs. cranky old vets" (I honestly believe that this deepened after the Steamworks announcement and the positive reception of the alpha release proved that yeah, the Steamworks announcement wasn't going to hurt BI, the boycotters would either cave or more than be made up for) if not outright flame-bait and to Binkowski's credit I wouldn't blame him if he doesn't want to participate in seemingly inevitable drama.

It should also be pointed out that Dslyecxi specifically mentioned (further) tactical training on top of military training.

It's funny how predictable these discussion have become. Seems like the first 6 pages or so you'll get good discussion in half the comments, but after that it just flooded with argumentative and with repetitive posts and turns in to a pissing contest.

SOI. Of course, if you did any specialty training in small arms/handguns, you would have received irregular firing positions, including offhand and on the move. And yes, the El Presidente.

Also, after I left the Marines, I joined the Coast Guard. Where you drill extensively with your sidearm, especially in an MSST or a TACLET. Frequently we did the El Presidente drill, and quite a few were on the move.

cool cool. In some ways Im glad they dont have mortar men ingame. you bang bangs can argue this stuff out. Aslong as I dont see a 60 gunner doing a circle like that with a our (501st had a slightly lighter load but I think they haxxed), fighting load Im cool, that or a 240b gunner or ammobearer. Those sorry sob's had a heavier load than we did 3/4th of the time (by like 20lb).

Anyone notice there is no real deviance in sizes of soldier really? They are all pretty much super soldier men ? Im a 72in 130-140lb tall relatively skinny (was forced to eat loafs of bread while the platoon watched so I would gain weightdidnt work :D ) I know my mortar platoon had like 1 1/2 squads of guys less than 5ft 9 inches. About 4 guys that were about 5ft 4inches.

cool cool. In some ways Im glad they dont have mortar men ingame. you bang bangs can argue this stuff out. Aslong as I dont see a 60 gunner doing a circle like that with a our (501st had a slightly lighter load but I think they haxxed), fighting load Im cool, that or a 240b gunner or ammobearer. Those sorry sob's had a heavier load than we did 3/4th of the time (by like 20lb).

Anyone notice there is no real deviance in sizes of soldier really? They are all pretty much super soldier men ? Im a 72in 130-140lb tall relatively skinny (was forced to eat loafs of bread while the platoon watched so I would gain weightdidnt work :D ) I know my mortar platoon had like 1 1/2 squads of guys less than 5ft 9 inches. About 4 guys that were about 5ft 4inches. Heck

Man that is a small mortar team, most guys in my team where 5'10 ish, 170- 210

Maybe its something they put in marines food? My only real experience with marines was in airborne school, come to think of it, they all sorta looked the same. I never did see those recon guys that were across from our barracks and in the woods.

It may have also been the fact they fed us quite little and we burned what the food gave us away in about an hour. I recall a lovely 2 month period where we carried a tree trunk our plt sgt found. Everywhere. But thats offtopic.

Edited by Masharra

Maybe its something they put in marines food? My only real experience with marines was in airborne school, come to think of it, they all sorta looked the same. I never did see those recon guys that were across from our barracks and in the woods.

It may have also been the fact they fed us quite little and we burned what the food gave us away in about an hour. I recall a lovely 2 month period where we carried a tree trunk our plt sgt found. Everywhere. But thats offtopic.

Well, from what I remember Marines have a very strict weight program. When the Army allowed waivers in the beginning of GWOT marines didnt change their standard. That said still glad im in the Army I have more to do, than I would have if I joined the Marine Corps.

Yeah, Marines definitely cultivate a look. And not one that I fit at all.

Most of the other recruits in boot camp with me towered over me. I'm 5'6 and 140 pounds, and I was easily the smallest male there. I still don't know what the hell I was thinking.