Sign in to follow this  
Ezcoo

Conquest

xZ8pUJk.png

Introduction

Conquest is an intensive, tactical TvT mission where the goal of both sides is to capture and hold as many of the five outposts between the bases that are located near town Agia Marina and to cause as much losses as possible to the hostile side. Both sides have predefined number of tickets; both losses and the number of outposts held by the team affects to the reduction speed of tickets. The side that runs out of tickets first loses the round.

Features

• Balanced gameplay, great number of visible and not-so-visible factors that have been designed carefully
  • Five outposts that should be captured and held to speed up the reduction speed of tickets of enemy
  • Soldier classes such as Rifleman, AT Rifleman, Support, Marksman, Medic and Engineer
  • Relatively high performance thanks to disabled resource-hungry effects
  • Main bases that can't be captured by the enemy
  • Ability to scavenge and steal enemy equipment
  • Rare medium heavy vehicle spawn at main bases
  • Rare light vehicle spawn at some outposts
  • Clear and intuitive UI

Conquest may have e.g.

• squads and ability to spawn next to the leader
  • Anti-TK system
  • Commander system

in the future.

Credits:

qbt
–
Lead Programmer

justice
–
Mission Designer

Ezcoo
–
Mission Designer

Edited by Ezcoo

On the one hand, this sounds 'suspiciously' like Battlefield-style Conquest except with both sides having an "uncap". ;)

On the other hand, I'm genuinely interesting in seeing how said gameplay concept plays differently both due to that difference (both sides having an "uncap") and due to the different gameplay mechanics of the Arma 3 alpha and the current infantry focus! (Unless you're importing Arma 2/OA assets?) Consider this thread... subscribed. :D

I make no secret of this copying the BF Conquest ;)

It's the best game mode that I've ever played. We just felt so that this brilliant gamemode must be brought to the Arma series as well! As bonus, we think that the area of Agia Marina is nearly perfect to be used in Conquest – there is just so many little details that give it the shine that it deserves. E.g. the bridges on the riverbed, hills surrounding the town, the distance between docks and the spit near the gas station (divers, wink wink ;) ) etc. etc.

I must however ask of you some questions:

• Five outposts that should be captured and held to speed up the reduction speed of tickets of enemy

Any particular reason that you picked five and not another odd number, or is it simply because "5" was deemed the sweet spot between "3" (aka the infamous Metro 64) and "7"?
  • Soldier classes such as Rifleman, AT Rifleman, Support, Marksman, Medic and Engineer

Any particular reason for these classes? I get what appears to be a 'divvying up' of the roles that were consolidated into four BF3 classes (Grenadier/Medic, Engineer/AT, LMG/MMG, Marksman).
  • Main bases that can't be captured by the enemy

Is there a particular reason that you went with both sides having an "uncap"? I mean this in the sense that BF3 Conquest has a spawn point for each team that was separate from the "flag" outposts, so I'm not seeing what difference this makes except the possibility of "medium heavy vehicle spawn" there.
  • Ability to scavenge and steal enemy equipment

What do you mean by this that would not be possible under normal Arma 3 alpha play?
  • Rare medium heavy vehicle spawn at main bases

This is what got me to wonder about whether or not you were intending for this to be "Arma 2/OA Rearmed"...
  • Rare light vehicle spawn at some outposts

In contrast to the above, I imagine this to refer to simply using the existing alpha vanilla vehicles (i.e. Hunter, Ifrit, AH-9, Kamov, Speedboat Minigun and so on).
  • Clear and intuitive UI

Will this be what requires an addon of your making, and will it be compatible with existing UI addons such as STHud and the stance indicator(s)?
  • Commander system in the future.

Should players expect that the "commander" position would be in the vein of the singular Commander found in BF2, or might it be comparable to the "officer-in-charge" in MAG's Domination matches?

Although, MAG divided things up into squads of eight, platoons of thirty-two (four squads) and companies of one-hundred-and-twenty-eight (four platoons/sixteen squads) with all three leadership levels having their own specific "commander resources", which generally seemed to run on a common cooldown timer and in some cases were dependent on physical static structures/assets being functional or not, thus necessitating coordination between the unit leaders (i.e. prioritizing which "call-ins" would be made).

Thanks for the interest,

we have 5 outposts for pure balancing reasons, it feels very balanced with those 5 outposts positioned on carefully considered positions on the map. There's not special reason to the classes except balancing, however, your suggestions might be a good solution too. The uncapturable bases were implemented because we felt so that the gameplay is more balanced then (had the best fights in BF2 on the servers where the base capture was disabled). The base is meant to be a spawn point among others, permanent one with rare armed and light vehicle spawn. I used maybe wrong word about the Ifrit and Hunter, those were that I meant with "medium heavy vehicles". The ability to scavenge and steal stuff from enemy means that it's not disabled in the mission. The light vehicles include quadbike, maybe even offroad. Also (unarmed) boats spawn, but not on outposts because there are none just next to the sea. "Clear and intuitive UI" means that there will be simple, scripted context-dependent UI in the game that doesn't need any addons. If the commander mode was implemented it would remind the BF2 Commander system most likely.

Conquest is meant to be reincarnation of BF2 Assault Conquest gamemode. A click'n play mission. Tactical, intensive and fun one. :)

You don't have to use classes at all, but default loadouts aren't a bad idea -- and considering the weight capacity as opposed to BF3's arbitrary rules, your more specialized "classes"/loadouts may be a better idea, unless you intended for the "class system" to go deeper than that?

EDIT: More specifically, are you considering an actual 'class system' or simply a way for players to spawn in with 'default' loadouts? The former might allow for Project Reality-style "loadout" restriction, i.e. there being only so many "simultaneously allowed" spawn-ins with certain weapons (or classes of weapons) but I have no idea if that is your intent or if it's meant to be more BF2/BF3 "no default loadout spawn-in restriction".

Thanks for clarifying re: the vehicle classifications (though the quadbikes and offroads not supporting "passenger firing their personal weapon" seems to make them solely transports*) but how do the uncapturable bases substantively differ from BF3-style "default spawns" with vehicle spawns in regular Conquest? (For example, the "end of the tunnel" for US team in Metro, the financial exchange for RU team, albeit if they had vehicles parked nearby.) And do you mean re: scavenging/stealing from the enemy simply that you can collect soldiers' individual gear in the same manner that you can in vanilla Arma 3?

Since you're saying BF2 Conquest Assault, are you implying a defined attacker vs. defender team dynamic as opposed to the 'hybrid' attack-and-defend of default Conquest?

* That is, "unarmed transports" as opposed to, say, this.

Edited by Chortles
Clarified first paragraph

Keep up the work. I am interested how this mission will play out.

When can we expect release?

TVT is always welcome to have as A2 was mainly about coop missions. I do suggest renaming the title/mission to TVT as that what it is reading the description. Usually missions are named in the order of 'gamemode-number of player slots- mission name - addons'

Looking forward to this. If you can deliver something that runs well it'll have a home on our server. :D

IS this realeased yet? Id love to talk to you about integrating Spy Battle Stats. It is a mission side script suite that kicks all stats to a web page for all to see at ARMALIVE.COM

This project has been cancelled due to lack of time and interest. We're working on other projects too, and there are already wonderful missions that have almost equal gameplay and that are being developed by people who are really dedicated on those projects.

sorry to hear Ezcoo - we were looking forward to it very much :(

do you mind sharing what other projects you plan and missions you intend to play now?

finally are you and your friends mostly into public play or also league play?

;2361675']sorry to hear Ezcoo - we were looking forward to it very much :(

do you mind sharing what other projects you plan and missions you intend to play now?

finally are you and your friends mostly into public play or also league play?

I'm very sorry about that. We just found out that we have too many projects that we're working on' date=' and there was a high risk that none of them would be ever completed.

We had actually 4 different projects that we were working on:

1. Daylight RP, the huge, addon-free roleplay mission. Our goal is to make completely new, fresh roleplay mission that doesn't actually remind the player from the existing Life missions much and would gather also players who weren't interested in roleplaying in Arma before. It has elements from the existing Life missions, Wasteland, DayZ (no zombies!) and even Domination. We've wanted to maximize the teamplay and roleplay by putting effort into fluent gameplay and immersion, resulting in mission that rewards the players who can "roleplay, cooperate and play their cards right". It's our main project with highest priority that we want to finish simply because it has become so huge; our team has spent over 2000 hours designing, scripting, balancing and testing it. The main summary pad only is 81 A4 pages long with font size 12, total length of design pads is about 400 A4 pages. You might hear news about it soon, but no promises, everything is still open.

2. Artificial ATC, the title is pretty self-explanatory. Simplified but abuse- and glitch-resistant, automated dynamic ATC that is able to direct the air traffic and prevent the majority of aircraft crashes. Unfortunately, it has been cancelled temporarily too due to lack of time and interest.

3. Conquest, a mission mimicing the BF2 Conquest.

4. A post-apocalyptic small coop mission that was never published on the forums; it had extremely strong background story that was full of allusions to e.g. history, geography and politics. The players should have used their heads a lot during the mission, compiling the conclusions from clues scattered around the map. It would have had a very strong depressive feeling too; it wouldn't have been actually a very fun mission to play, but strongly emotive instead, revealing the indescribable hopelessness and pain after apocalypse. The Chernarus would have been full of pain and suffering, and neither you nor your friends would have been saved from it either.

We like to play in pretty different ways actually. I play in public mostly (sometimes when getting TKed the 5th time in row by the same TKer I just wonder why lol). Our genious scripter qbt, for his part, as OFP style old schooler is fan of especially small COOP missions and SP. justice, for his part, is a real teamplayer and leader who likes competitive gaming and gaming where the rounds are won with intelligence and successful tactical leadership.

2. Artificial ATC, the title is pretty self-explanatory. Simplified but abuse- and glitch-resistant, automated dynamic ATC that is able to direct the air traffic and prevent the majority of aircraft crashes. Unfortunately, it has been cancelled temporarily too due to lack of time and interest.

I came up with an easy answer to that one... spawn a rabbit on the end of the taxiway, prior to the aircraft entering the strip. I set up a trigger to palce the rabbit when an aircraft was on a landing pattern, and remove it when the strip was clear. Simple and it worked. Could have a series of aircraft taxiing, some landing, with zero crashes!