Sign in to follow this  
AmericanFAC

How to update your weapons for arma 3.

So I found the 3 proxies required for weapons to use them.

\A3\data_f\proxies\weapon_slots\TOP
\A3\data_f\proxies\weapon_slots\MUZZLE
\A3\data_f\proxies\weapon_slots\SIDE 

You place the proxies as you would any other proxy from Arma 2 in Oxygen2. However there is a massive offset and you need to play around until you get the attachment centered.

Here is an example of a non-alpha weapon working with the alpha. Notice that I still need to move things around a bit.

Still working on how to make custom attachments themselves. Thought it would be neat to start sharing how stuff is done.

IMAGES REMOVED

I'll upload a sample cfg in a second.

Edited by Max Power
Images > 100 kb

it would be awesome to have a packed up m16 addon ready to use so us over at the 15thmeu can be satisfied:)

AmericanFAC

Please watch your file sizes, the max. allowed file size for hotlinked images is 100 kb.

Good job man! After messing in o2 for the first time I managed to mess up the weapon:

1. the attachments do not show up on the weapon, but I do get the effect associated wiith them (light from flashlight and the beam from ir laser)

2. I cannot attach any muzzle attachments

3. the entire weapon got offset and its now too much to the front in relation to the character

I did run into the problem with binpbo (it crashes each time I attempt to pbo the folder) so I used eliteness and I end up with an unbinarized p3d. Any idea what I am doing wrong?

As far as the offset of your attachments is concerned, it looks to me like the matter of tinkering with the position of proxies in o2?

ALSO: your proxies are a bit different from the ones posted in this tutorial by Alwarren: http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma_2_Weapon_to_Arma_3

The .001 is added in O2 afterwards. and yeah you'll need to have offsets, for example the memory points for the grenande launcher's sights on my m4 are about 4 inches to the left. If they were right on top of where they should be, you'd ironsight 4 inches right of it clipping into the gun.

it would be awesome to have a packed up m16 addon ready to use so us over at the 15thmeu can be satisfied:)

Oh hai there ;) Don't worry I'm still working on your Arma 2 and 3 weapons

Any one else seeing some resemblance here?:

IMAGES REMOVED

Would like to be proven wrong...

Edited by Max Power

Would like to be proven wrong...

Breaking news: Internet user confirms guns look the same.

They use the same configuration (stocks + rails + etc), maybe they were inspired or something, other than that guns will be guns.

Breaking news: Internet user confirms guns look the same.

They use the same configuration (stocks + rails + etc), maybe they were inspired or something, other than that guns will be guns.

Not sure if stupid... It's pretty clear that he's implying that the custom weapons in arma are ripped straight from BF3...

Not sure if stupid... It's pretty clear that he's implying that the custom weapons in arma are ripped straight from BF3...

Nothing that I said is hard to understand. The models and textures are clearly different.

The M40A5 is the only one I can safely say appears to be ripped from BF3. The little rail up front and the silly tape around the gun in the exact same spot. The other 2 I'm undecided on.

No, they are in fact BF3 weapons. I'm not going to release them, therefore they don't violate the "creative commons" that Bohemia likes to enforce.

Weapons are from BF3, ripped by a users from facepunch. I don't see the point in modelling a gun until I know for a fact that I can make the a gun work.

Imagine putting hours, days even into modelling a gun, only to not be able to get the configs and animations to work. Might as well use a base, then make models as I see fit on a later date.

The mere fact you admit to this means you lose the respect of every credible modder in this community.

If you needed reference models, why not use the sample models? Why not make a simple 2d model or even a box to test out memory points?

There were plenty of legit ways to learn. This is not the way to go about it.

No, they are in fact BF3 weapons. I'm not going to release them, therefore they don't violate the "creative commons" that Bohemia likes to enforce.

Weapons are from BF3, ripped by a users from facepunch. I don't see the point in modelling a gun until I know for a fact that I can make the a gun work.

Imagine putting hours, days even into modelling a gun, only to not be able to get the configs and animations to work. Might as well use a base, then make models as I see fit on a later date.

I appreciate your honesty, but perhaps you have read the forum rules you agreed to when you joined...

§19) Posting addon/mod other content without permission

For many years this community has been known as the premium addon/mod creating community, people work tirelessly and in great detail to create fantastic addons/mods/missions/campaigns to release for free so that everyone benefits, including Bohemia Interactive. There are a few simple rules in place to provide the respect to these creative people/groups that they deserve:

The first and most fundamental rule is that you must seek permission to alter someone's work, to mirror it or use it in any way other than for personal use. No permission, no editing, no mirroring, no adding to your mod pack, no editing and sharing around your private squad, none of that is acceptable.

Obviously we cannot unfortunately control what people do outside of these forums, however on these forums you must follow this rule, if a person/team post a thread to share an addon/mod using content from someone else without permission and we receive a complaint then the mod thread will be closed until the issue is resolved and the forum member(s) risks being permanently banned from these forums for taking someone's work without permission.

This isn't just limited to re-using content in addons/mods/missions however, it's not acceptable to edit someone's work without permission and then to post screenshots of it on the forums (even if the edited addon/mod is purely for personal use), it's also not acceptable to edit someone's work, or use someone's work in any way that you don't have permission for and then to create videos which you post on these forums, doing any of the above without the permission of the original creators risks a permanent ban, for individuals, for whole mod teams or squads.

Ripping other peoples' work is not tolerated here. If you wish to remain a member of the community and want help from us, I suggest you find a more appropriate way of educating yourself. Your claims about needing to use ripped models to learn how to mod is fantastically ridiculous. There are hundreds of free models for you to play around with provided by BI itself.

---------- Post added at 17:27 ---------- Previous post was at 17:23 ----------

Nothing that I said is hard to understand. The models and textures are clearly different.

Uh huh...

Edited by Max Power

My understand when I read that is that you can do whatever you want to the game on your own computer on your own time. As long as you do not release them nor claim them as your own, have fun. But I didn't see the part about the screenshot. Sorry

My understand when I read that is that you can do whatever you want to the game on your own computer on your own time. As long as you do not release them nor claim them as your own, have fun. But I didn't see the part about the screenshot. Sorry

We obviously can't do anything that happens off of the forum, or we don't know about. But, aside from the ethical issue, using ripped models may make it difficult for you to seek help or otherwise communicate on the forum. For instance, if you wish to provide a screen shot of odd behaviour you're troubleshooting.

Have any of you experts tried getting rifle grenades into ArmA 3?

I ported a G3 assault rifle with rifle grenades, and while the weapon works flawlessly, the rifle grenade does not show up when it's loaded (I can switch to it normally, it fires as it is supposed to,...)

It seems to me that 'modelSpecial' does not work for rifle magazines anymore, only for launchers (this used to work in ArmA 2).

Strange enough, the view axis stored in the modelSpecial's memory LOD isused - just the correct view LOD doesn't show up (?).

Any ideas?

Thanks for this immensly helpful thread btw. :)

Cheers,

D.

The mere fact you admit to this means you lose the respect of every credible modder in this community.

If you needed reference models, why not use the sample models? Why not make a simple 2d model or even a box to test out memory points?

Because this is the only community that is anti porting that I've found. Porting models isn't bad within itself, for example I can play L4D right now while playing as the Master Chief, Sonic the Hedgehog, Commander Shepard and Guile while shooting at Lucky Star Characters with weapons from CODMW. Is any of that bad? No, it is in fact praised and supported...in that community. If you had halo weapons ported to Crysis, or Mario models ported to Sonic, there isn't an issue. However, Bohemia for whatever reason (maybe copyright who knows), chooses to allow only originally created content and stifle ports. So its bad in the sense of forum rule breaking, but not inherently bad.

As for losing respect, porting weapons from other games is a non-issue. If someone were to port weapons, then claim they made the weapons, then that is a breach of artistic integrity. But to make an addons that is clearly titled "BF3 Weapons port", no.

As for the sample weapons/2d model. Why waste time downloading sample weapons or making 2d models when I already have a full library of ported weapons and their textures?

I could understand someone being upset if they claimed the work of someone else as their own, but I am not. My goal is to add content, and hopefully quality content to Arma, by any means necessary (for example, I remember seeing a thread were someone was willing to put the time and effort to bringing Liberty City to Arma, but it was shot down. A great potential mod to break up the monotony of Czech nation #4343 and Arab nation #53534, was killed because they posted here). If that means I can't post progress of it here, so be it.

I ported a G3 assault rifle with rifle grenades, and while the weapon works flawlessly, the rifle grenade does not show up when it's loaded (I can switch to it normally, it fires as it is supposed to,...)

It seems to me that 'modelSpecial' does not work for rifle magazines anymore, only for launchers (this used to work in ArmA 2).

Strange enough, the view axis stored in the modelSpecial's memory LOD isused - just the correct view LOD doesn't show up (?).

Try setting up a hide animation, like how you do it with the magazine when you are reloading. But its set to a variable that detects if the weapon is loaded.

if loaded set the selection of the grenade to visible

if not, set it to invisible

Edited by AmericanFAC

Try setting up a hide animation, like how you do it with the magazine when you are reloading. But its set to a variable that detects if the weapon is loaded.

if loaded set the selection of the grenade to visible

if not, set it to invisible

Good idea... but is there an animation source for the 2nd muzzle only?

Thanks for the tips & links! :)

Cheers,

D.

When you say rifle grenade, you mean like the old school put on the end of the barrel thing?

yup, that's it.

ENERGA rifle grenade on G3 barrel in this case.

This works perfectly in ArmA 2 - something has changed in A3.

Yeah, then I would make a variable like isFull or something.

player addEventHandler ["Fired", { (_this select 0) isfull = 0 }]

player addEventHandler ["reloadMagazine", { (_this select 0) isfull = 1 }]

I dunno, haven't toyed with variables too much in arma.