Sign in to follow this  
ewan

Game balance air vs ground

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (You_looking_at_me? @ July 16 2002,16:02)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Thats if the blast does not kill the pilot as portable rockets are mostly explosive (HEAT) rounds not SABOT so the rocket would create an explosion not just pass through as a SABOT round would<span id='postcolor'>

HEAT requires contact with armour to work.. but it would make a fairly large hole in the chopper, and that is seldom healthy smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Major Fubar @ July 16 2002,10:08)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Small arms fire can definitely bring down a chopper.<span id='postcolor'>

Yes, Hueys and I think Cobras were regularly shot down by small arms fire in Vietnam while flying low and slow and shooting at infantry (who shot back). Often the crew was killed, thus leading to the crash of the helicopter. It doesn't have to be the engine that is hit. And many people don't realize that rifle rounds go through a lot of armor.

you are all forgetting only the su25 (and maybe not even that) actually have radar.

Guest Scooby

Even though hind and apache are very well armoured helos they dont have complete armour coverage. Small arms fire can definetly bring one down and it can easily damage important components of helo.

Idea is not to have one man shooting at helo but whole platoon or company shooting at it. Basically infantry tries first to stay undetected and if they are detected they shoot at helo. Idea is to force helicopter to gain altitude so that other more effective AA units can engage and destroy it. Other occasions are preventing helicopter to unload its troops, etc.

i think sum things should have radar removed eg. cessna and when a locked target drops of radar u should lose lock. To make the a10s gun easyer u should be able to target stuff with it, radar is quite realistic in ofp but too good and maybee sum more objects should be made invisable to it.

To say that a Helicopter can be shot down with an RPG is a pretty broad statement.

There are MANY types of RPGs out there.  The kind that flashpoint uses probably aren't the type of RPG that helicopters can survive hits from (as they tend to gut armored units quite nicely).  So to make the generalization that a flashpoint helo can survive multiple RPG hits is just that...and gross generalization.  It's like saying that an M60 can survive a missile hit anytime, and failing to mention the "missile" is a 57mm rocket.

You guys are discussing realism, so you have to be a bit more precise than just "RPG".  

Also, in real life, no one likes being shot at...ever.  So I imagine that if a helo pilot heard lots of rounds hitting his aircraft, he'd think twice about staying in the general area.  Infantry firing on helicopters is a case of accuracy by volume...bad things happen, but they tend happen faster in a cloud of lead.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (sgtvor @ July 17 2002,07:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Also, in real life, no one likes being shot at...ever.  So I imagine that if a helo pilot heard lots of rounds hitting his aircraft, he'd think twice about staying in the general area.  Infantry firing on helicopters is a case of accuracy by volume...bad things happen, but they tend happen faster in a cloud of lead.<span id='postcolor'>

heh my squad and i were playing a coop and an enemy chopper lifted off, one of us had a .50 cal jeep and the rest of us had g36's, that chopper lasted for about 3 minutes.

Thats one of the things I love about flashpoint In multiplayer you can pop at choppers with real players in them using real tactics to remain undetected. I remember once when I was in a Kiowa and as I was flying over some brush about 5 of my mates opened up on me little chopper. I can tell ya I got outta that pretty sharpish.

Hmm you can destroy Hind (or any other chopper in game) with a single LAW, RPG, Stinger or Strela missile when it's on the ground. But try taking out Hind with one shot of those when it's flying, you need atleast two hits.

This was discussed months a go but I don't remember what they called this thing.

In real Life...

The chances of small arms fire bringing down a BlackHawk or any other Attack Helo is astronomical!. they are armoured where it counts, especialy below, which is where most small arms fire comes from yes? wink.gif ...

With a RPG they can survive a hit(to land safely at least) almost anywhere but the Tail Rotor asembly. its the only real weak spot...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The chances of small arms fire bringing down a BlackHawk or any other Attack Helo is astronomical!. they are armoured where it counts, especialy below, which is where most small arms fire comes from yes?<span id='postcolor'>

True for attack helos like Apache.

Wrong for transport helos.

Remember : large cockpit, doors opened.... A Blackhawk in the configuration found in OFP is meat for firearms disseminated on a LZ.

Kepe in mind that the Vulcan (mounted on the M-113) and the ZSU are inaccurate weapons, especially at fast movers and quick helicopters. Your only going to hit anything while that chopper is coming in to drop troops and dusting off once completed. These weapons are much more effective on the ground against light armor and infantry. smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (The Colonel @ July 19 2002,07:16)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Kepe in mind that the Vulcan (mounted on the M-113) and the ZSU are inaccurate weapons, especially at fast movers and quick helicopters. Your only going to hit anything  while that chopper is coming in to drop troops and dusting off once completed. These weapons are much more effective on the ground against light armor and infantry. smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

In RL or the game? Guess people think different things because I remember in the Flanker series the Zoo was deadly if you got within range. Less than a second and you were gone smile.gif I feared the Zoo.

COLINMAN

Guest Scooby

Even 2 barreled Russian 23mm AA cannon has rate of fire of something like 34 rounds in second. It has good range and decent accuracy especially if it is modified.

Back then it was made to be used against fighters. Nowdays it is used mainly against helicopters and assault planes. It is definetly effective against helos.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (BoonieRat @ July 19 2002,14:11)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The chances of small arms fire bringing down a BlackHawk or any other Attack Helo is astronomical!.<span id='postcolor'>

"astronomical" means that there´s an extremely high chance that it will go down.

The nitpicker strikes again! tounge.gif

*runs off singing to himself*

as·tro·nom·i·cal

adj.

1. Of or relating to astronomy.

2. Of enormous magnitude; immense:

Quote (BoonieRat @ July 19 2002,14:11)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The chances of small arms fire bringing down a BlackHawk or any other Attack Helo is astronomical!.

<span id='postcolor'>

He was refering to it as an astronomically low chance that small arms fire can bring down a helo. Meaning there's an immensly low probability of it.

biggrin.gif

I noticed a VERY annoying problem that I and most likely many others have noticed, and that is how easily the Western choppers engines are damaged. Just last night I was flying a V-80 and the thing stayed in the air until its armor was completely depleted. I tried the same thing with an Apache, and almost all of the time the engines would shut off at 50% damage.

I suggest that they make it so that either Western choppers have this remarkable invincible engine technology, or they make it so that a quick and nimble player can restart engines inair. Even though the latter would be unrealistic, of course tounge.gif

I'd have thought that small arms could bring down a helo. If you shot it in the right place.

My interpretation of that text is:

The chances of small arms fire bringing down a BlackHawk or any other Attack Helo is astronomical!.

=

The chances of small arms bring down a BlackHawk or any other Attack Helo is possible if the planets are all lined up in perfect alignment around jupiter.....

tounge.gif