k3lt

Low CPU utilization & Low FPS

Lol, I had the exactly same thoughts. Got an offer to buy BF4 for a low price and I thought what the hell do it. First thought ? Arma is superior to all these game and sometimes even graphically.

However as you stated my frames never drop below 50 with high/medium settings on BF4.

Exactly. I'm not praising BF4 in the least. Visually I was expecting something spectacular with BF4, but it honestly doesn't even touch Arma 3. It's just frustrating that after finally finding the best miltiary shooter ever, I have to deal with crap framerates in the area I play it the most, multiplayer. There are no tweaks that can fix this game engines problems. I visit forums every day in hopes to discover some type of closure to the performance issues by the devs.

I've recieved replies from them in the steam forums but very rarely and most of the time they make me feel like I'm annoying them. It's amazing I continue to play it at all with how they react to fans in the forums. You can feel their frustrations all too clearly but without resolve.

Edited by iLLcAtTiViSsiMo

This thread shouldn't even continue. Now it's just come to ranting on about how BI hasn't done shit about performance. We all know that people are getting shit performance. This problem will most likely never be solved since:

first of all: the engine is a fucked up 12 year old piece of shit that doesn't take advantage of modern computers.

Second: of all BI doesn't give a shit about us or their game since this is very likely the end of the Arma series. BI was just trying to get a game out to us. Obviously quality and content doesn't matter to them anymore.

This thread shouldn't even continue. Now it's just come to ranting on about how BI hasn't done shit about performance. We all know that people are getting shit performance. This problem will most likely never be solved since:

first of all: the engine is a fucked up 12 year old piece of shit that doesn't take advantage of modern computers.

Second: of all BI doesn't give a shit about us or their game since this is very likely the end of the Arma series. BI was just trying to get a game out to us. Obviously quality and content doesn't matter to them anymore.

Lucid,

Others have managed to express their negative views on the current state of Arma 3 in less aggressive ways.

1. BI is continuously working on ways to improve performance. However, big, noticeable changes take time.

2. Point 1. is dependent on manpower, which BI has in limited supply.

3. Your post is a rant itself and falls under flamebating. See forum rule nr.1

You are free to continue discussing both negative and positive aspects as long as you do it in a civil manner.

Hi maionaze do you know if/when we will get the optimization blog it was mentioned a very long time ago?.

Thanks

Ummm...did anyone elses framerate skyrocket after the last patch? My games is running incredibly well in MP with default ultra settings and view distances of 3800. 3200 and 200. Whatever BIS did, me likes it.

Ummm...did anyone elses framerate skyrocket after the last patch? My games is running incredibly well in MP with default ultra settings and view distances of 3800. 3200 and 200. Whatever BIS did, me likes it.

WHAAT?

Can you test a bit further ? Like going onto a Wasteland Server or such unoptimized mission?

Changelog has:

"â– Merged from OA / DayZ: Small MP optimization related to simulation precision"

Seeing better frames in Helo's Altis benchmark from 34 to 37 steady.

I also use 'Bob's Armory' for benchmarking since it strains my rig at spawn in.

Seeing a 5-10% there too.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?162385-SP-MP-Bobs-Armory-on-Altis&highlight=armory

I haven't tried MP, but same old problems in SP that I've always had, after the patch.

I never really had an issue with single player or wasteland servers honestly. Just saw a HUGE increase in FPS on my favorite servers. No stutters, no scope lag or anything.

I started a steam discussion and a few others seem to feel that FPS was much better after the patch. Others claim it did nothing.

I read the changelog and don't really understand why it helped me in particular, but I'm certain it did. I've never had this game run the way it did last night.

Edited by iLLcAtTiViSsiMo

I've always had issues with SP, depending on what it is. Talking about their own showcase missions... helicopter showcase, gunship showcase, etc. Basically, anything that has vehicles introduces gpu usage drops that cause fps drops. Some areas of an empty map are enough to cause it as well.

Maybe, I'll give mp a go. I've always avoided it, b/c of how utterly unplayable it is. Though, I'm pretty much done with anything Bohemia. I've given them enough money, and the way this issue in particular has been handled (in spite of the way they are engaged and productive about other issues) is just unacceptable to me. And, highly frustrating, b/c this is the game I would play all of the time, if it were actually playable... even, most of the time.

Well, as far as SP is concerned, this issue (the issue with the limited amount of our CPU that the game will use, getting capped, which causes massive GPU usage drops, which causes massive FPS drops) this patch seems to have done little to nothing on my end.

on a semi-related note... Just watched a yt video of a guy with a watercooled, SLI Titan, 4.7GHZ beast of a machine... Dipping into the 20's on the infantry showcase (which, is probably the best performing showcase out of all of them, since there is very little going on)

Changelog has:

"â– Merged from OA / DayZ: Small MP optimization related to simulation precision"

That fix is from several builds ago.

still low fps with extrem overclocked R9 290 when zooming in brokkoli-trees with sniper rifle, for example on stratis:

019718-1385151438.jpg

still low fps with extrem overclocked R9 290 when zooming in brokkoli-trees with sniper rifle, for example on stratis:

http://www.bilder-upload.eu/thumb/019718-1385151438.jpg

ATOC most likely doing it's thing... Having AO on high settings in situations like these doesn't help either... Been experiencing the same on my GTX 670.

I haven't actively played for almost 2 months now, game started to give me more frustration then joy... I'll keep reading update notes and wait for a miracle. :(

Edited by Minoza

Oh...yeah, I guess it depends on whether he was talking about the latest dev build or the latest stable branch update.

Conversations about the dev-build can be found there:> ARMA 3 - DEVELOPMENT BRANCH

So, i guess we're talking about the release-build here? Right? :rolleyes:

@Topic:

With 1.06 I also get ~1-2 more FPS and the game run a little smother but the utilization is the same as before -> BAD!

So it could be run significantly better if available hardware would be more in use. In my case it is not more than 50% of both (CPU and GPU) and i get low FPS. :(

Fillrate saturation. Texels i think they're called.

Can use that scene as a benchmark. Step-down resolution til frames reach over 30fps, then step-up sampling to sharpen the scene.

Conversations about the dev-build can be found there:> ARMA 3 - DEVELOPMENT BRANCH

So, i guess we're talking about the release-build here? Right? :rolleyes:

Uh...no. Not necessarily. :rolleyes: right back at you.

ATOC most likely doing it's thing... Having AO on high settings in situations like these doesn't help either... Been experiencing the same on my GTX 670.

I haven't actively played for almost 2 months now, game started to give me more frustration then joy... I'll keep reading update notes and wait for a miracle. :(

I've made a video about this in the ticket notes: http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=3848

Notice how the fps goes from 20->10 just going prone in the same spot and watching same broccoli trees.

Without AA I can watch the same spot of the broccoli trees with 40fps on crouched and 20fps on prone.

Putting everything on the lowest still 60 fps on crouched and 30 fps on prone.

Edited by St. Jimmy

@Jimmy

thanks, thats it. I thought it depends on zooming but its zooming&proned. Crouched/stand: 50fps, same spot proned: 25fps.

Hey guys I just signed up to share my (obscure) findings.

So I have been sick of Arma 3 lately, I love playing it, especially flying about but I just can't stand the low FPS, 24FPS on my High end system doesn't go down too well :(

So I have forever been trying to find a solution to no avail, the worst part is that when I lower my settings, I get LESS FPS! Lowering the draw distance helps a bit but is a no go for flying really. Anyway, I was messing around with some crazy overclocks and as a result, I get a perfect 60FPS with no drops whether i'm flying, running, shooting, viewing through scope etc! :yay::yay::yay::yay:

Finally!

Arma 3 at 60FPS looks amazing! What a difference from the 20-35FPS that I had before!

My system:

4770k (normally clocked at 4.6 under water)

Asus maximus VI Formula

4GB Dominator GT ram 2000 MHZ 8-8-8-24

Power color 290 100% unlocked to 290x Shaders at 1200MHz and 5800MHz

Samsung 830 SSD

All this gave me 20-35FPS, it was a sad day when I installed my graphics card and didn't see a gain in FPS.

Anyway, so here's the obscure 'catch'

my 4770k will not go past 4.6 without crazy volts period.

However, if I tune each CPU core individually (this is with hyperthreading enabled still), I can easily clock core 1 to 6.5GHz, Core 2 to 6.1GHz Core 3 to 4.8GHz and leave Core 4 at 4.6Ghz This might sound rediculous but it munches through cinebench like this and powers through all benchmarks I throw at it. My chip isn't a particularly good one either but Arma now loves it! I ALWAYS had 30-40% GPU utilisation max now it's 100%! :yay::yay::yay:

Just shows that the game is CPU speed-limited because it can't properly utilize all cores.

EDIT: Not to sound like a downer...glad it's working well for you. :)