Sign in to follow this  
_Hawkeye_

Sad Day for race fans..8(

Holy shit....

Does anybody know what happened to the camera man at the fence? He was gone after the crash.

The whole engine went flying throught the fence, never saw something like that. Scary stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTHYoOZWcsQ

One of the 2009 Talladega's finish was also kind of like that:

Best wishes for the injureds, but that is part of racing.

Edited by Smurf

The camera guy was following lead pack when he hit fence but if u notice a tire laying not 5 ft from him in seat near where ppl appear to be attending to injured 8( Guess u can only protect crowds so much.

Sad accident indead, luckely nobody got killed, but its indeed racing and its one of those things that happen once and a while .That view from the stands looked at first not to bad till he turns his camera and it was mayhem with the wheel 5ft away and the hole in the fence(just where the door in the fence is)bit unlucky spot to puth the car trough,the pics from across the track shows the wheel go flying when he hit that fence.

That last video I cant see where the wheel got through and launched into the crowed, I also couldn't see it much from the spectator phone video, it was just sat on that seat almost, still trying to work that out.

Lucky nothing worse happened I agree. Although it comes with the territory with these speeds and close contact.

No surprise. People have flat out made accusations that NASCAR is bunching up the drivers deliberately to increase the chances of spectacular crashes. To me, NASCAR died with Dale.:(

Thanks for the vid Smurf :), I see it lobbed over high, couldn't see it in the height of the other video. Freaky to think the spectator footage you see a mass of action and then just a small pan over people suddenly realise and entire wheel is next to them and someone down in those seats ... so quick, blink and you miss it. Could have been so much worse.

I'm really hoping that you don't think this is all just a big joke...

No, that is a legitimate news channel, they re-create everything with these.... animations... for their news articles.

Link: http://www.nma.tv/

Stupid sport. They really need to sort their safety out, because those really bad crashes are all too common it seems.

NASCAR (at least in the top categories) is one of the safest motorports out there. There is only so much you can do against whole parts flying at a high speed. A whole engine? First time I saw that.

Little offtopic but still the same topic - iRacing got yesterday new Gen6 Chevrolet SS Sprint Cup Car which is very awsome when compareing it to the old Impala A car that drove like a plowing truck. The official video of the new car:

I'm really hoping that you don't think this is all just a big joke...

Any person that gets hurt or killed at ANY spectator event...sure the the heck isn't a joke!!

But c'mon, that video was hilarious!

@DM, thanks for their link sir.

Edited by SWAT_BigBear

I thought it was about racing, but it is about NASCAR. Middle aged men driving in circles.

I thought it was about racing, but it is about NASCAR. Middle aged men & women driving in circles.

Fixed that for you. :)

Still isn't racing though is it? I never understood why people can watch technically infantile cars go round a circle in such large numbers.

I can sort of understand Formula 1 because it is like watching the development of technology for cars 5 years in advance and the pace and skill involved can be impressive but it is on Sunday for a reason, because people aren't glueing themselves to their seats to watch it. NASCAR is like watching cars from 25 years ago and the skill involved to 'turn' one way constantly (as if the banking doesn't just do most of the work anyway) is so primitive that I feel more sorry that those car parts hit the crowd -- it is like kicking a football at the disabled stand at the Emirates.

Pretty much somes up NASCAR

"I'm gonna drive, and I'm gonna go fast and I'm gonna turn to the left sometimes"

Still isn't racing though is it? I never understood why people can watch technically infantile cars go round a circle in such large numbers.

I can sort of understand Formula 1 because it is like watching the development of technology for cars 5 years in advance and the pace and skill involved can be impressive but it is on Sunday for a reason, because people aren't glueing themselves to their seats to watch it. NASCAR is like watching cars from 25 years ago and the skill involved to 'turn' one way constantly (as if the banking doesn't just do most of the work anyway) is so primitive that I feel more sorry that those car parts hit the crowd -- it is like kicking a football at the disabled stand at the Emirates.

I take it you've never driven a car at 180mph for 300 laps. It's both a test of endurance and skill. I mean you're argument can be applied to any sport universally and is just as arrogant and ignorant. "I don't understand how people can watch Basketball, all they ever do is bounce a ball around and throw it in a net" I don't understand how people can watch Baseball, all they ever do is hit a ball and run in a diamond. "I don't understand how people can watch Soccer/Football, all they do is kick a ball into a large object with a net. It's easy to pass judgement when you're extremely ignorant about the subject because of a personal bias.

NASCAR isn't really something I can watch on TV but going to a race is pretty fun. This is sad but it's something you know can and does happen. At least no one was killed.

I never mentioned baseball or basket ball precisely because they do require skill. I don't know if you know this but DTM, Formula 1 and Le Mans require drivers fit enough to stand more than just two banked corners.

Compare the cars too, the Audi R18 or the McLaren MP4-23 in 2008, racing cars that were formed with technology that go towards the design of road cars today. That could be interesting to somebody, I understand that even though it doesn't really interest me.

Nascar doesn't require a driver to be "fit", then show me the fat ones. Did you really mean to say that publicly, Prydain?

Also.. Sonoma nor Watkins Glen tracks are "round" :rolleyes:

Lack of fat drivers doesn't mean fit, it means they fit the car better. Lighter weight drivers are like jockeys, it's better for the mileage.