Sign in to follow this  
cybrid

How did you first hear of ofp?

This poll is intended to follow up with the "Codemasters have wronged bis!" thread and I intend to show how ineffective the advertising really was. I have spread the glory of this game by word of mouth and have gotton a few people to shell out $50 for it. But it really is sad how so few people know of it.

I personally found out from a demo CD.

I saw a thing on a flight sim website, about a demo that was really cool, so I checked it out. After one run through the demo mission, I was hooked. It was everything I ever wanted in a game, even though my system sucked back then, and I was getting maybe 19 FPS when it was going smooth. But I was loving it anyways smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

I remember the first time I heard the radio call "Armor inbound, fall back to evac point!", I hauled ass lol

My friend was a LW sniper with me when i still played. We were always looking for a new game to snipe in cause LW was full of cheaters, laggers, racists, etc. We tried Rogue Spear for a bit. That was great fun while it lasted. One day, i was on the phone with him, and he was telling me about this game called Operation: Flashpoint that looked pretty good from the screenshots tounge.gif .

From that point, i downloaded the demo, and wasnt too impressed to be honest. The level provided was really good, but i thought without sniping, it wasnt too appealing to me just yet. Then i downloaded the trailer, and my jaw wouldnt close for a few days! After that, i shot $50 of my inheritance at electronics botique, and the rest is history. smile.gif

I had grown totally bored with Counter Strike. R6's graphics left me flat. I had a friend that said it was cool, but he likes a lot of really lame things. biggrin.gif And so on day I was browsing Future Shop looking for a game and I saw it. I read a review or two, and decided it was likely my kind of game.

And I was right.

But almost no one I know knows about it. I'd say Codemasters really hasnt done a great job promoting it in the least.

Its generally pretty hard for anything foreign in any media to break big in the US without a big (US) company getting behind it...

personally i think i saw it first in some magazine (but im not US)

Got OFP for Christmas from my brother. I had never heard of it, kinda wierd since I'm an avid FPS player. Boy was I surprised when I booted it up. First thing I did was try out the mission editor. It's flexibilty and ease of use is what sold me on the game. I was disappointed by the DF2/LW mission editor, and R6's lack of one entirely, so OFP was a breath of fresh air.

I was playing Rogue Spear a lot. And was hooked to that game. I downloaded a lot of gun mods and one day I went to download some weapons from Sputnik's mod and found a link to "a really cool game" and downloaded the demo. Even though the demo ran like shit on my pc back then I still loved the game.

Well my friends went out looking for a new game to get and they found flashpoint. So they took it home and tried it. They called me 1 or so after they got it and said it kicked ass. The next day i went over to their house and i was pretty impressed, but not satisfied..Well the bastards didnt let me play i think was the problem. So i went home and downloaded the demo. All i could think about is oh my god this kicks sooooo much ass! Then i became hooked and forked out 40 bucks and ran to best buy and got it. Now im going to steal/burrow what Aculuad said. And the rest is history...

i was playing a lot of RS too, and i was on fileplanet a lot downloading mods and what not, when i saw the demo, download it (took me about 10 hours on my shit modem back then) that night i got it, i stayed up the whole night and into the morning playing it, and have been playing it ever since.

I was looking for a FPS to start again since R6. I haven't played HL/CS, and didn't like it a bit after seeing my roommate bounce around like a rabbit on cocaine.

I was at EB near my place, looking for a new FPS, if any. All seemed like crap, and at one section of the store was OFP. IT was just released in US(Sept. 2001) and It was $49.99(if i remember correctly). I looked around the box, and saw some graphics(slightly impressed) and some 3-rd view of commanding. I thought this was going to be another one of those try-to-be-all-but-crappy game.(boy..was I wrong...hewww..good thing I didn't pass by). But I thought what the heck, and bought OFP..and my life has changed ever since. smile.gif

Well, i think our little campeign against Codemasters advertising ability is off to a good start. Advertising is the one thing that hasnt been voted for yet. tounge.gif

I've never seen an add on TV confused.gif. They should do that. Anyway, me and my dad were looking for a new comp in best buy. I browsed through the games section and found flashpoint. I bought it a while later.. .and here I am.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (fraggit @ July 09 2002,03:54)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I was playing Rogue Spear a lot. And was hooked to that game. I downloaded a lot of gun mods and one day I went to download some weapons from Sputnik's mod and found a link to "a really cool game" and downloaded the demo. Even though the demo ran like shit on my pc back then I still loved the game.<span id='postcolor'>

Exactly my experience, I got the game the day it came out, but only discovered the community around December time; tounge.gif !

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Harnu @ July 08 2002,09:59)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I've never seen an add on TV  confused.gif.  They should do that.  Anyway, me and my dad were looking for a new comp in best buy.  I browsed through the games section and found flashpoint.  I bought it a while later.. .and here I am.<span id='postcolor'>

ive never seen an add anywhere for ofp, not even on a banner online, maybe im just not looking hard enough.

PC Zone UK.

They did a preview of it many, many months before it was released. It was that preview that actually got BIS a international publisher.

(The original title was 'Status Quo : 1985', but Codemasters made them drop it. Probabley the only good decision Codies made other than taking OFP onboard)

From a post on ALT.GAMES.DELTA-FORCE back in November 2000 by now squadmate Uzi Ben Adi, who as involved with OFP and BIS much earlier.

The info available then was scarce but very impressive and didn't seem to be vaporware.

Actually, for fairness sake, I did see a banner ad on Gamespy for OFP Resistance a few days ago. But really, if thats all BIS and CM are getting out of the deal for giving Gamespy exclusive MP browsing/hosting rights, then a certain European game developers butt must be very sore right about now.

I can't remember was it late 2000 or early 2001 when I was surfing around the net and then I somehow ended up in OFP Network. I looked at the screenshots and I was hooked.

So basically Sith and DnA got me interested in OFP. smile.gif

I think that my story is the most interesting smile.gif. I use to play F22 Total Air War and frequent the forums at simhq. Well this guys called Tracer used to play it alot too and post on the forum, but one day he disappeared and so did many others, so I inquired them where did they all go to post and play, and they said that they were playing operation flashpoint full (thry lived in UK) and demo. I wasnt interested in the beginning but then I went to my friend house to dl the demo (he has broadband) and playd it for about 10 minutes. Performance were bad as my friends pc suked, but I was hooked. As soon as it came out in canada I got it, and I change pc and got broadband to enhance experience smile.gif CODEMASTERS SUKED AT IT, you know why? I buy 3 pc gaming magazines every month and I saw no ads, or anything, shame on CODEMASTERS, Bis should use EA they know how to commercialize games properly...

Went through the local store, saw something running on the Demo-Screens what looked like the game I was always waiting for, left the store with the Box in my hands (after paying of course). All this happened more then one year ago...

Somtimes november/december 2000 a very good friend of mine mentioned how there was some new game coming out. He said that it was an FPS done 'as it should be done'. He also said that I would like it since was modern military hardware and the theme of the game was the cold war.

Cool, I thought, and forgot all about it.

Sometime in May 2001 in Kosovo, sombody installed the demo on a laptop that belonged to my group. I was hooked. When I got back to Sweden early July, I bought the game. Back then I had a 450 MHz computer with a Voodo2 and I finished the campaign on it smile.gif

As for advertisments... nothing...nada..zip. I don't know what the hell Codmasters is up to, but it ain't good  mad.gif

I have heard about OFP in summer 2000 when i have seen Screams post on some offline chat about new game etc.

I asked what wepons should be there. It was just about 5 weapons so i wrote some kind of list of weapons i would like to have there.

Then i take some of them wink.gif to BIS for textures "shooting". And voila few months later i joined the team  biggrin.gif

P.S. I beg your pardon for my english :-)