Sign in to follow this  
zaksle75

NV on Helmet(s) Animation

I've noticed in screenshots the units helmets have what appears to be NV Goggles attached to the front, does this mean their animated for when NV is turned on or pop up out of nowhere as in ARMA 2?

Would be interesting!

Nothing related to it is in confirmed features neither in the forum.

In E3 videos it was not animated, they mentioned that it could be, this falls to the category of "nobody knows until they reveal more".

I've noticed in screenshots the units helmets have what appears to be NV Goggles attached to the front, does this mean their animated for when NV is turned on or pop up out of nowhere as in ARMA 2?

Would be interesting!

Nothing related to it is in confirmed features neither in the forum.

Last I've seen which was at Gamescom 2012, it's like Arma 2 except that the NVG model folds down when nightvision is toggled and folds back up when nighvision is deactivated -- it seems pretty clear that as of August 2012 "realistic NV animations" wasn't a dev priority, and of course the sheer dearth of information ever since means that we have no idea if that's changed.

I wish your character actually lifted his hand to do it though.

That's more to do with the fact that the NV toggle as of the Gamescom build was still instantaneous -- and hell, maybe "Smookie raises/lowers his NVGs using his hand" was never mo-capped? :p I can't think of a proper way to implement the manual raise/lower animation for "immersion's sake" without also changing the toggle, so I just pretend that the helmet mount has a built-in, voice-triggered "raise/lower" mechanism.

(This differentiation to me reminds me of someone's concern over wanting attachment changes to take time -- and my reaction that it already does simply because you do so through the inventory menu which itself takes time to enter/implement your change/exit, and my own guess that BI just acts like everything has QD mounts.)

helmet mount has a built-in, voice-triggered "raise/lower" mechanism.

Stop giving them ideas, you're killing my immersion. :cry2:

Stop giving them ideas, you're killing my immersion. :cry2:
Hey, "making up explanations in my head" is the only way that the continued lack of separate underbarrel attachments makes sense, so why wouldn't I apply it to other aspects! :D

It would be great for the modding community to have these toggling animations go on, look at ACE 2 for example they got goggles on their helmet and goggles on their hats, it's embarrassing :b

I hope so. Like Zaksle75 said, the modding community would go nuts with a small feature like that. Not to mention, it's just one of those small attentions to detail that make the game that much more enchanting to experience.

It's totally doable as it is. Try MARSOC mod (models are really good btw). You mount NVGs on the helmet and then they are animated being "on" or "off".

I hope BIS does it in ArmA3 though since helmet mounted NVGs just look cool. Ideally with the soldier pulling them down/up with his hand.

theres no animation with the MARSOC units for pulling NVG's. it's just an action that says "mount NVG's". then when you put on NVG view they just teleport away and your regular NVG get's in front of your eyes.

Depends on what you mean by that. Sure you will get your typical NVG rendering but for everybody else (and on MARSOC models) they will still be the new, helmet mounted nvgs.

CoD 4 SP had nice 1st person NVG anim. Hopefully there is something like that in A3 as well.

It's totally doable as it is. Try MARSOC mod (models are really good btw). You mount NVGs on the helmet and then they are animated being "on" or "off".

I hope BIS does it in ArmA3 though since helmet mounted NVGs just look cool. Ideally with the soldier pulling them down/up with his hand.

I agree, I think little animations like those, including things like, seeing if a unit is aiming down the sights, changing zeroing, putting or removing NVGs and so on, really adds a lot to the final presentation of the game.

If ArmA 3 has a proper MICH/ACH mount system, it could no only animate the enabling of NVG's but also headlamps and other accessoires.

Again, to me it only makes sense if the NVG toggle and, say, the zeroing changes are themselves no longer instantaneous -- and last we saw, it's still no better than in Arma 2. :p

Something like this for ARMA 3 could be good if they implant it good enough.

I agree, I think little animations like those, including things like, seeing if a unit is aiming down the sights, changing zeroing, putting or removing NVGs and so on, really adds a lot to the final presentation of the game.

Exactly! I would love to see animations for stuff such as switching from semi to auto mode and maybe even when you try to fire, but your mag is empty. Better animations for picking up weapons would also be very nice!

An animation doesn't really matter what I'm saying is if we enable Night Vision it should not be on the helmet and your eyes at the same time. The NV on the helmet should be like deleted then when NV is off it should be back on helmet, like a light switch for example, back and forth!

An animation doesn't really matter what I'm saying is if we enable Night Vision it should not be on the helmet and your eyes at the same time. The NV on the helmet should be like deleted then when NV is off it should be back on helmet, like a light switch for example, back and forth!

If I understood your message correctly, it already works that way.

When a player has NVG goggles in the NVG slot dedicated for the head , the NVG's will appear mounted on the helmet or if the player is not wearing a helmet, they will be strapped to the players head. When the player turns on NV, the goggles will drop over the players eyes and when their off they will raise.

Check this video out, I have placed a time stamp so you can see the animation.

maionaze's link is what I meant -- the NVG model is immediately moved up or down, which is fine with me (i.e. I don't go "my immersion!") because the NV switching is still instantaneous, hence my earlier not-quite-a-joke about imagining the NVG mount hinge being voice-triggered as "the only way that this makes sense".

Its 2013. they've been working on this game for quite a while now. I think that one of the least things we can expect is a simple animation as pulling down NVG's. Games released 5 years ago had this animation.

simple animation

Although true, does this mean anything to BIS - nah. Priorities. Though I fully agree with you.

I wish your character actually lifted his hand to do it though.

I can see ACE adapting one of the hand-signals, like how they've done with the point anim for the grenade launchers...