Sign in to follow this  
MMrrTT

Arma 2 OA 64 bit version

Hello.

Dear developers, I wonder if there is a 64, it version of .exe file or how can I force 32 bit application to use more than 2 Gb on my x64 Windows? Are you planning to make a 64 bit version?

32-bit applications can't use more than 2 Gb or RAM. I think your 6-7 Gb are used as caches or something. And I need to force 32-bit Arma 2 OA application to use more.

This is how I understand it.

If you have a 32 bit computer, the computer cannot use more than 2Gig of RAM.

If you have a 64 bit computer, the computer can use up to 8Gig of RAM.

If you install a 32 bit programme on a 64 bit computer, the computer will use all the 8Gig RAM.

Its not the application using the RAM, it is the computer using the RAM.

Perhaps a PC expert can confirm this is correct.

Edited by Joe98

If you have 32-bit computer, the computer cannot use more than 2^32 bytes (2 Gb) of RAM.

If you have 64-bit computer, the computer cannot use more than 2^64 bytes (16 Eb) of RAM.

If you install a 32-bit programm on a 64-it computer, the computer will use all the 16 Eb RAM, but the program won't be using more than 2Gb of RAM. It can use more up to 3 Gb (if I'm not mistaken) on 64-bit systems with PAE, AWE but the application should have largeaddressaware flag to be turned on, if I'm not mistaken.

So, actually it's not the question of computer. It's the problem of application.

There's no use having 64-bit for Arma2/CO. The benefits apparently are miniscule & not worth the effort to make the game for 64-bit. That's from a devs own words anyhow. I'll see if I can find the thread.

sadly, not. despite BIS product start hitting 2Gb barrier from OFP:R times :[

seems developers too busy spying, not much time left for development itself.

sad, but true.

If you have 32-bit computer, the computer cannot use more than 2^32 bytes (2 Gb) of RAM.

If you have 64-bit computer, the computer cannot use more than 2^64 bytes (16 Eb) of RAM.

If you install a 32-bit programm on a 64-it computer, the computer will use all the 16 Eb RAM, but the program won't be using more than 2Gb of RAM. It can use more up to 3 Gb (if I'm not mistaken) on 64-bit systems with PAE, AWE but the application should have largeaddressaware flag to be turned on, if I'm not mistaken.

So, actually it's not the question of computer. It's the problem of application.

^ That.

Arma2/Arma2OA has hardcoded 2GB limit. No matter what you do it will never use more than that. Perhaps it will reach that limit after few hours of extensive usage, but it will crash while passing that limit. Overlap is caused by memory leak bug which is never really fixed, and can be seen in practice on dedicated servers. Observe memory usage after few hours of play.

sadly, not. despite BIS product start hitting 2Gb barrier from OFP:R times :[

seems developers too busy spying, not much time left for development itself.

sad, but true.

Goodbye, BasileyOne.

Arma2/Arma2OA has hardcoded 2GB limit. No matter what you do it will never use more than that. Perhaps it will reach that limit after few hours of extensive usage, but it will crash while passing that limit. Overlap is caused by memory leak bug which is never really fixed, and can be seen in practice on dedicated servers. Observe memory usage after few hours of play.
Arma2/OA is a normal 32-bit application. It has the same limitations and if I modify the executable with well-known largeaddressaware patch it will use up to 3Gb, if I'm not mistaken.

http://clip2net.com/clip/m70200/1358189612-clip-128kb.png (128 kB)

Anyway I'm using game video recording software which injects into game process and when I use pre-record function it stores video data in the application's memory. So if Arma 2 uses about 600 Mb at start, about 800-1000 Mb after some time and I use pre-recording I may overlap even 3 Gb limit even if I pre-record in MJPEG.

ARMA 2: OA is already LAA aware , you don't need to patch anything ...

LAA (Large Address Aware) 32bit executable can directly address up to 4GB (so not 2 nor 3) memory while running on 64bit OS

it's 2GB only if binary is running on 32bit OS

also as one very old devblog explains we have means about going around 2/4GB limit too ... indirectly