Sign in to follow this  
yevgeni89

Conversion program for arma to arma 2?

Im positive this has been posted here in the past, but for the sake of ease, to convert arma 1 addons like units , i know the body type is different so naturally animations would be too correct?

I kind want to try my hand at converting some of the Arma1 addons for personal use and what not and maybe eventually if I get ballsy try to make my own content.

So Can someone tell me what the program is called to convert arma1 units/soldier type, I know o2 is for making stuff, but im kinda lost as to what i need to change the body type so it's compatible with Arma2.

Yeah what id like to do is see if i can convert them to arma 2 for personal use, then if i can get permission release them to the public, I just have to track all those cats down and it's been sometime since some of the addons I want to convert were released.

Off topic for a second, you didnt happen to make the max power's campaign back in ofp did you?

Downloaded Bi tools and im following "takealready's" example how he converted his units, as well as "Norsu's" example however their tutorial didnt really explain how they got to that point nor what program out of tools they used they said they changed basically it was geared towards people who had already dabbled a bit in voodoo addon making.

Not so much a TM for beginners, I feel like a soup sandwich fucked up and running all over the place.

-Norsu

"It seems you only need to do the following:

Copy Geometry, Memory, Hit-Points and Fire Geometry lods from the example soldier.p3d BIS released. It's best to remove the old lods completely from your model before applying the new ones. Then use the new model.cfg also given by BIS.

For best results you should also copy the hands from soldier.p3d and use the new head as proxy (also found in soldier.p3d). Note that the new head model has only two lods, 1.000 and 2.000. This means for bigger lods you'll need to copy the head part from soldier.p3d directly.

Edited by yevgeni89

Nope, I'm not a mission maker :) It must be some other Max Power(s).

You require permission before you do anything, regardless of how you wish to use it... unless you're using the ArmA example models, in which case you can alter them so long as you obey the license, which includes releasing the edited models to other people if they request them.

Even for personal use?, not a release or to be distributed and what do you mean by example model?

Side note- didnt find contact info in their readme's only names of individuals and what their credited for, try their website, but if no luck then I guess im sunk?

Also was just curious put the 32BN bushwars soldiers in recognized it and pulled it up, far more then what I expected naturally arma crashed upon trying to play around in the editor and preview it, but then truly there isnt much to do to it to make them function.

Edited by yevgeni89

We can try to help you get in touch with a content creator. Make an honest effort to do so and if that fails, you may contact a moderator with the details of what you have attempted, what you intend to do, who it is you're trying to reach, and then we can try on your behalf.

On this forum we uphold the rights of content creators. This means we stand by their licenses. In the absence of a license, it is assumed the work falls under a full copyright. If you put your heart and soul and spare time into some project for years, and all you asked in return that people don't mess with it, how would you feel? For a clearer idea of how we work in these cases, check the forum rules.

I know I do understand, and im checking their mod site now to hopefully get a response.

Now its time to set back and cross fingers I emailed their mod site.

It depends on your local countries legal system. In many you can do it for personal use.

;2272368']It depends on your local countries legal system. In many you can do it for personal use.

This forum is not a country' date=' kju.

§19) Posting addon/mod other content without permission

For many years this community has been known as the premium addon/mod creating community, people work tirelessly and in great detail to create fantastic addons/mods/missions/campaigns to release for free so that everyone benefits, including Bohemia Interactive. There are a few simple rules in place to provide the respect to these creative people/groups that they deserve:

The first and most fundamental rule is that you must seek permission to alter someone's work, to mirror it or use it in any way other than for personal use. No permission, no editing, no mirroring, no adding to your mod pack, no editing and sharing around your private squad, none of that is acceptable.

Obviously we cannot unfortunately control what people do outside of these forums, however on these forums you must follow this rule, if a person/team post a thread to share an addon/mod using content from someone else without permission and we receive a complaint then the mod thread will be closed until the issue is resolved and the forum member(s) risks being permanently banned from these forums for taking someone's work without permission.

This isn't just limited to re-using content in addons/mods/missions however, it's not acceptable to edit someone's work without permission and then to post screenshots of it on the forums (even if the edited addon/mod is purely for personal use), it's also not acceptable to edit someone's work, or use someone's work in any way that you don't have permission for and then to create videos which you post on these forums, doing any of the above without the permission of the original creators risks a permanent ban, for individuals, for whole mod teams or squads.

If he does so, and there is some kind of problem, there will be trouble, up to and including the people who he's asking permission from being annoyed that he has done it already without asking first.

Alright well that was short lived, mailer daemon error so I guess there account there is no longer active, and no news feed since 2009..

Mod team- ObmaR

DigiA

Ebud

Ou Matroos

NBSVieiraPT

Rellikki

FALCON 1

MiG

CimaleX

TheVoice

Arremba San Zorzo

Volk

SAAF

A lot of these cats I remember from OFP days it's doubtful there still around unfortunately.

Well Rellikki is an active moderator so I'm sure you can get in contact with at least one of them ;)

I remember the CAA1 addon. Which might float around somewhere. Use that if you want to play your ArmA 1 in the ArmA 2 engine.

If you don't own ArmA 1, please know that using this addon is not legal. This addon was removed for a reason. I don't think they will agree. But you could always try.

Even with Caa1 ,I dont think it's meant to work for units, for islands maybe some vehicles but because the body models are different I dont think CAA1 would make a difference, but on a side note permission denied for converting the Bush Wars Units, so this thread is dead.

This thread I think was asking about a program to convert from a1 to a2, not about bushwars... right?

The OP claims these ported addons would be for personal use.

OP quote:

... try my hand at converting some of the Arma1 addons for personal use ...

Forum rules states:

The first and most fundamental rule is that you must seek permission to alter someone's work, to mirror it or use it in any way other than for personal use.

He can infact take any addon/mod and modify it without permission, any way he wishes as long as it's for personal use. I don't understand why permissions are a problem if the addons are for personal use.

Edited by Iceman77

The OP claims these ported addons would be for personal use.

OP quote:

Forum rules states:

He can infact take any addon/mod and modify it without permission, any way he wishes as long as it's for personal use. I don't understand why permissions are a problem if the addons are for personal use.

IFF it doesn't violate the original license. BI grants the authors of content copyrights over their own work with limits based on the use of the BI tools. I, as a moderator, can't really take that copyright away. If I stand to support the rights of authors to create meaningful licenses, then who am I to say that someone breaking a license in one manner is okay and someone breaking it in another manner is not?

In this particular case, there is some other things to consider and so what I can tell you right now is that I'm working on it.

Edited by Max Power

If you don't own ArmA 1, please know that using this addon is not legal. This addon was removed for a reason.

Whats not legal about CAA1? its a mod no different then any other, it wasn't removed for a reason, its just not supported and or the mod is left where its at because the team working on it moved on.

Its left in our hands now, its even stated on the download page on Armaholic, you can do what you want with it, provide you dont try to sell it, as long as it dont go commercial and you make money from it, and or claim it as your own the mod is free to use/change.

For personal use there is no issues, only issues arise when you decide to post on the forums here claiming the mod as yours after you altered the files and

doing all this without contacting the authors without permission.

If Authors cannot be found, or contacted then you will need to contact a moderator and explain what you are tryin to do and whom you are trying to contact, they will help you.

I have been there with my whole WarMod series, I ahd authors i couldn't find, as they had left the community, and so I still asked, if the moderator was ok that I did what I was

to do (not selling it) then it was ok to release what I had. Permission is always required whether the author is around or not.

Sometimes the author will leave a note at the bottom of their download page for a addon or a mod, or on their release thread, or in a readme, that says

they give you permissions to alter their work and re release it for download.

Even with Caa1 ,I dont think it's meant to work for units, for islands maybe some vehicles but because the body models are different I dont think CAA1 would make a difference

What can You do with CAA1?

-Try, test, explore and play. If you like it, tell your friends.

-Explore the ArmA I and Queen's Gambit worlds.

-Build new missions on these worlds.

-Convert your ArmA I missions of the given worlds to ArmA II.

-Try any ArmA I mission or campaign in ArmA II. May or may not be playable.

-Try missions ported to ArmA II by community members.

-Help convert popular ArmA I or Queen's Gambit missions and campaigns to ArmA II.

-Help convert popular OFP missions and campaigns to ArmA II.

-Make use the new units in your ArmA II missions.

-Use CAA1 as a base to convert your ArmA I vehicles/weapons/objects/worlds to ArmA II.

-Try any ArmA I world in ArmA II. May or may not work.

All depends.

I'm actually just starting work on my project for CAA1, I finally got done with some other stuff.

I run many of my arma islands through A2 using ‘caa1’ around 50-60 I think, of course many I have tried don’t do so well, so you have to pick and test. I convert old missions I had for arma by just replacing units and bits here and there.

The current ai use the islands very well i.e. roads, buildings etc, although there are less enterable buildings, so put your own on ‘OPX buildings’, ‘mbg buildings’, ‘Raz’, ‘A S Baracken buildings’ (Aritower is great), etc. Building packs from arma and A2 are all worth testing, a few vehicles work, must admit not tried lots of them, but the ones I have tried are o.k, but A2 vehicles are much better anyway..

But as said you have to test all of these things i.e. buildings, vehicles etc out first, as they may appear when put in the editor but then do odd things in-game, like disappear again, its rare but it has happened, so testing is key.

Caa1 is a great mod that opens up a lot of possibilities, so use it, for your own use obviously, just tinker around with objects, buildings, plants, vehicles, etc in the editor to see what works, or just use it out of the tin as they say, the islands are beautiful in many cases and deserve to be used again and again..

Arguably some of the best islands from the series are those from arma, its nice that many run better going through A2 than they did back in the day.;)

I can supply a list of islands I know work for me, plus some other bits and bobs if needed.. I think most are still out there and available..

Edit: forgot, another great reason running caa1 for arma islands through A2, is that many give huge fps results i.e. Sahrani (desert version) I cap at 80fps, but can get well over 120, but tearing problems, so capped at 80 (msi).. Many of the islands are like that..

Edited by ChrisB