Sign in to follow this  
Taku

Voice with sockets

In-game voice isn´t working when using Sockets in MP, works fine with directplay though...

Solution for this problem? sad.gif

Since Voice-over-IP is a feature of DirectX 8's DirectPlay, I see no chance to get it to work with the Sockets netcode.

But since playing with InGame Voice LAGGS the hell out of a full (8-10 Players) on a 100MBit Dedicated Server over DSL, it's cool that InGame Voice doesn't work anymore with the new Netcode...

Use BattleCom, GameVoice (which is nothing more than the OFP InGame Voice) or TeamSpeak for talking to others.

I think the only solution is to download a third party voice program if you want to run socket.

For me it's not a problem since we already use TeamSpeak in our group and it works great, even better than the in game VON and uses less bandwidth.

I can highly recommend TeamSpeak and you will get the same functions as in game VON if you take a few minutes to set up a few channels and have them switchable from within OFP.

http://www.teamspeak.net

Oyea, the price is right to EUR 0.00 smile.gif

/Christer (a.k.a KeyCat)

Well that´s too bad if in-game voice is impossible with Sockets, i guess we have to stick with the Directplay then. I do not see how we can replace the great in-game voice in OFP with a 3rd party programs, It´s great to have an option to use Global, Side, Group and Vehicle channels in game, and even directspeak now and then.

Kabukiman, how have you noticed the lag what is caused by the voice, can you be more specific?

We play on a very fast server too, most of us play with dsl´s, and have ping´s about 35-50, some players even below 30, and it does not lag, ever. Maybe little warping with AI players in bigger coop-missions, but lag, never.

Of course the voice isn´t working very well with clients who play with modem or ISDN, because their bandwith isn´t "big" enough.

You don't need to miss Global, Side, Group and Vehicle channels by using TeamSpeak if you just set up four separate channels in it, easy thing to do and you can even name them the same if you prefer!

However you will miss DirectSpeak so if that is important for you I guess you have to use DirectPlay instead of Sockets.

/Christer (a.k.a KeyCat)

When we had a League-Match against a Clan sometime ago, we had unusual LAG in Game.

Our Clan uses BattleCom for Talking with several Channels (West, East, Global, AFK, Private-Area etc.) which can be switched easily by configurable Keys.

However, after the Match we found out that the enemy Clan used the IngameVoice-Feature. You'll have unbearable LAGS when playing 8 vs 8 with one side using Ingame Voice!

We had a re-match after that and the other Clan didn't use IngameVoice this time and all was fine (apart from the ususal "16 people on one Server is too much"-LAG).

After that match we asked the other Clans hosted on that PC (there are 3 OFP-Servers on each PC) if THEY had LAG that night. They didn't, all was fine (and they all don't use InGameVoice).

I don't know if the Server-CPU get's exhausted or the Bandwidth to the Clients is not big enough, but we experienced heavy LAG when someone used InGameVoice!

Solutions I might come up with:

1. Implement this feature on their own

Drawback: Would take a long time to implement

2. License third party code

(RogerWilco comes to mind, because they already work together with Gamespy; however, I don't know whether it is based on sockets)

Drawback: Someone had to pay for it

btw: I think 1 wouldn't be for free as well wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KeyCat @ July 02 2002,13:22)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">You don't need to miss Global, Side, Group and Vehicle channels by using TeamSpeak if you just set up four separate channels in it, easy thing to do and you can even name them the same if you prefer!

However you will miss DirectSpeak so if that is important for you I guess you have to use DirectPlay instead of Sockets.<span id='postcolor'>

Doesn't sound very useful, We want to use side channels and group channels, and when Admin "ReAssigns" the map and people goes to different groups, do we need to alt-tab to windows and move ourselves into correct "channels" to get them work as a Group channel?

For example if we are playing a 30-man coop with 3 squads, it's important to use Group channels when playing, so we dont mess other group's conversations, and I think that using 3rd Party softwares just makes it too complicated.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Taku @ July 02 2002,14:14)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Doesn't sound very useful, We want to use side channels and group channels, and when Admin "ReAssigns" the map and people goes to different groups, do we need to alt-tab to windows and move ourselves into correct "channels" to get them work as a Group channel?<span id='postcolor'>

If you take a few minutes to read the info that cames along TeamSpeak and set up different channels and bind them to keys you can easily switch channels within OFP without alt-tabing. In fact TS is more flexible than the in-game VON IMHO. There are features like "wispher" to members/channels that come in handy when talking to squadleaders only, use PTT or a VOX (that actually works) etc.

It won't cost you anything (more than some time) to give it a try!

/Christer (a.k.a KeyCat)

Same goes for BattleCom!

You can assign Keys to almost everything (switching to Channel 0-9, Whispering to Player 0-9 etc.)

No need to ALT+TAB out of OFP!

You still can't have the functionality of the Vehicle and Direct channels, though. As people enter and exit vehicles, the channel assignments would have to change, and in the case of Direct, the VON program would have to know the location of each player, AND adjust the volume accordingly.

I'm quite disappointed that VON didn't make it into OFP:R for the sockets code. We speculated about this some time ago and accepted the fact that VON was missing in the betas, but I was hoping that OFP:R in its shipping form would have this feature for both network code implementations. sad.gif

Which will never happen, because, as I wrote earlier in this Thread, the InGame Voice of OFP is plain simply using the "built-in" VoiceOverIP of DirectPlay...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mister Frag @ July 02 2002,19:33)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">You still can't have the functionality of the Vehicle and Direct channels, though. As people enter and exit vehicles, the channel assignments would have to change<span id='postcolor'>

Of course you have to change the channels manually by pressing a key on the keyboard but the function is still there so I do not follow you here?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">

and in the case of Direct, the VON program would have to know the location of each player, AND adjust the volume accordingly.<span id='postcolor'>

Never said that a third party voice program could replace the DirectSpeak feature of the in-game VON. Please re-read my posts.

I can live with using a third party voice program if thats the price we have to pay to have better/less laggy multiplayer experience in OFP. Whats much more disappointing for me is that the enhanched terrain detail only seems to work in single player and not in multiplayer  sad.gif

/Christer (a.k.a KeyCat)

BIS, Is in-game voice going to work with Sockets, or do we have to just stick with the DirectPlay?

I agree 100% with mr. Taku, we need the sockets voice otherwise our squad has to stick with the old directplay version...

I'm an admin on a 100% 24/7 dedicated server, and to be honest, I really haven't noticed that much difference between sockets and directplay. Other than we're using sockets now and have some pretty serious bugs. (Not gonna go into it here, there's another thread).. As far as a couple other people have said about VON lagging thier games.. The only lag I've ever heard of in regards to it are HPB modem users. We run a 14 player server and never ran into any supposed VON lag ever with the 1985 code.

Anyway, my point of this post is that we use teamspeak now and for the most part it gets the job done. It definitely can't compare with VON imo. Since this is a dedicated server, we run a dedicated teamspeak server as well. Which means that anyone from either team can jump on any channel.

Not only that, but there's no visual indication for anything in TS either. I'm fortunate enough to have a radeon 8500 with dual monitors enabled, so I run the TS program on my 2nd monitor when I'm in flashpoint, so I can at least see if there's anyone in the channel that shouldn't be. I'm the exception though.

And like several people pointed out already, there's no feasible way to do vehicle chat, group chat, or direct.. Just side and global.

At any rate, my solution would be to either directly write voice into the game or integrate an existing 3rd party voice chat into the game.

Make it so someone from the other team can't join your side..

Make it so the keys are configurable from within flashpoint itself..

Make it so the channel icon is in the lower left corner..

Make it have seperate channels for vehicle, group, and direct too..

Not that I'm much of a programmer, but it doesn't sound too hard to me.. Build the voice server into the dedicated server exe.. Have wilco or TS or whoever code up something flashpoint specific and hack it into the game. Or.. have the wilco or TS ppl code something into thier program to accept "messages" (DDE or similar) from flashpoint to configure the wilco or TS software automatically when you connect to the server.

Since Gamespy seems eager to jump on into the flashpoint wagon, maybe they'll be equally as eager to get into the voice chat slot on flashpoint as well.. Hmmmm....

I could be wrong about this too, but I don't think so.. I'm not aware of a limitation that says you can't use sockets and a directplay call in the same program. It may defeat the goal the authors are shooting for tho, dunno..

SPC G-Man

1st of the 123rd Infantry Division (Red Bull)

The ingame voice is the one thing i miss most in resistance. For a clan 3rd party tools are ok, but none of them is nearly as powerful as the ingame von from ofp. You don't get automatically assigned to the correct channels in third party tools, and in most of them you can't be in many channels at the same time for listening and select whether you speak in all of them or just one (and which). All that was possible with the ofp von. And when you play public all those other players can't hear you and talk to you cause they don't have the software installed (or would have to install roger wilco, teamspeak, battlecom, teamsound, gamevoice, whatever to be prepared) and don't know the ip and the pw of the voicecomm server. And ofp without communication is not half as good as with voicecomm. Yeah, my spetznatz sneaks in, sorry i can't tell cause there's no time to type, and yeah, too bad your heli decided to bomb that part of town just now and teamkilled me...

Patch coming out soon, any news is in-game voice working with sockets now?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Taku @ Oct. 09 2002,09:18)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">...any news is in-game voice working with sockets now?<span id='postcolor'>

No, it is not. If you want to use VON, you can always use DirectPlay which offers this functionality.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Suma @ Oct. 09 2002,13:12)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Taku @ Oct. 09 2002,09:18)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">...any news is in-game voice working with sockets now?<span id='postcolor'>

No, it is not. If you want to use VON, you can always use DirectPlay which offers this functionality.<span id='postcolor'>

Too bad directplay propably wont work in the linux server :/

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Kegetys @ Oct. 09 2002,13:13)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Suma @ Oct. 09 2002,13:12)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Taku @ Oct. 09 2002,09:18)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">...any news is in-game voice working with sockets now?<span id='postcolor'>

No, it is not. If you want to use VON, you can always use DirectPlay which offers this functionality.<span id='postcolor'>

Too bad directplay propably wont work in the linux server :/<span id='postcolor'>

Time to start using sockets then I guess...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Taku @ Oct. 09 2002,13:20)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Kegetys @ Oct. 09 2002,13:13)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Suma @ Oct. 09 2002,13:12)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Taku @ Oct. 09 2002,09:18)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">...any news is in-game voice working with sockets now?<span id='postcolor'>

Too bad directplay propably wont work in the linux server :/<span id='postcolor'>

Time to start using sockets then I guess...<span id='postcolor'>

And lose VON :/

Funny that other supposedly inferior games such as Half-Life support VON... without using DirectPlay.

Seems someone isn't using the proper Netcode... or they don't want to pay a third party to develop it for them.

Sorry but I have lost patience. sad.gif Linux Server should have been released a year ago... and yet they make everyone buy another version in order to get something they promised with the original OFP. Not to mention it was also promised that VON would continue to be supported.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (BigQEd @ Oct. 09 2002,14:53)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Linux Server should have been released a year ago... and yet they make everyone buy another version in order to get something they promised with the original OFP. Not to mention it was also promised that VON would continue to be supported.<span id='postcolor'>

Eh?? You are talking about promises. I am afraid you need to prove your words, as I think we never made any such promises.

I understand if somebody lost interest in OFP now, but still it is hard for me to read about promises we broken when we never made them in first place.